PDA

View Full Version : Keys to the success of next years team

Reborn
07-18-2010, 08:05 AM
1. I have to start with Steven Gray who is our returning Senior. As BZ put it so well, something special always seems to happen for our seniors. Steven has had a good career at GU, and I hope he ends it with a great season. I think last year Steven made huge strides, and by the end of the season he may have been our leading scorer and was definitely our best defender.

2. Elias Harris is a potential first or second team All-American. He has great talent, and could be moving to the 3, or small forward position. That's where Matt played. I think at 6'7" Elias will give us some advantages at the 3 position that Matt couldn't. Matt was great at taking his man, often smaller, inside and posting him. Harris will be able to do the same thing, and probably even better than Matt. Few likes to post up his small forwards. Elias has a real nice outside shot, and he's a very good rebounder. The biggest question about Elias is his defense.

In Steven and Elias we definitely have a strong one-two punch, and this is a vital characteristic of a great team.

3. Robert Sacre should be better than last year, and I think noticably better. He averaged 10 pts a game last year, and I think will raise that up to 12 and hopefully 13. I think he needs to rebound much better next year, and improve his passing out of the double team, but I noticed that he was improving in both areas at the end of last year. Every great team has a third player who can score in double figures consistently, and we have that in Robert. I was very impressed with Rob in the NCAA tournament last year, and I'm excited to see him play next year because he's going to be better.

These 3 guys will match any team's top three players in America.

4. I really like Kelly Olynyk for our 4th player. I think this person on a great team needs to be the team hustler, a guy that will do the dirty work and sacrifice himself for the team. I guy like Pendo. I see this in Kelly. I know Few likes him, and I think that this is why. Kelly is a very good passer, and has a good up and under move down low. I think he is a very good high post player, and I know Few likes that. He really needs to improve his outside shooting. I think he has it in him, and hopefully that the Freshman jitters are over, we will see that shot go down more next year. Kelly is tough, and a little dirty, which I like. I think he has high basketball IQ as well. We need Kelly to average about 7 or 8 ppg. He needs to improve in rebounding too.

5. This may surprise you, but I think the Zags will be good at the point. I like Meech. He has fuego in his heart, and I think that his fire will propell him into a much better season. Meech is not Dan Dickau, not Blake Stepp nor Raivio. He has the heart of Pargo who was his mentor. I see Pargo's smile in Meech. Meech loves this team and is so proud to be a Zag, and I think this will help pay great dividends next year. What I like best about Meech is that he's a great ball handler and has that all illusive speed. The Zags are very difficult to press because of Meech. And he can get that ball up court quickly and that always transfers into 6 ppg for the team with easy baskets or foul shots. He has the speed to guard quick guards which in some seasons we did not have that, and that hurt the team. Meech does not have to be a big scorer on this team, but he does need to be more of a threat from the outside. I am banking on him showing good improvement in that department. I think his free throw shooting did improve by the end of last season.

I think we have a much better back up point guard in Carter. I haven't seen him play yet as a Zag, but I'm excited to see him play. We will be much imporved at the point next season, and that is good.

Great teams need to have guys on the bench that you can count on consistenly to come in and score some points. We have two very good players coming off the bench who could actually be starters, in Manny Arop and Sam Dower. Manny was a solid substitute last year, and will see many minutes. Manny is a very patient player and is a team player who will do what is needed for the team. Manny is waiting to take over Steven's spot the following season and will be okay I think coming off the bench one more year. He will be a great 6th man. I haven't seen Sam Dower yet, but I believe he will give the Zags more than Will Foster did, especially on the offensive end. Sam was a great high school player, and I think has a ton of promise as a Zag. Some may wonder why Andy Poling left last season. I think the reason was that he knew how good Sam Dower is going to be.
So those of you who have been worrying about how many guys are leaving stop worrying. I think they have all left so they could find a school where they have a better chance of playing. That is good news for the Zags imo.

Who will fill the last one or possibly two spots? It will be fun to see the Freshmen battle for that spot. We have some pretty good ones coming in I think.

The biggest questions I have are with the guys who haven't played yet. Can Dower rebound and play D? I think he can. I envision him in the mold of that Johnson guy who plays for Purdue. And he's great. Will Cater be able to learn the very complex offensive schemes that Gonzaga uses. Carter is a mature person, and will not be like a typical Freshman. He has already played three years of college basketball. I think he redshirted one season already. What kind of speed does Carter have? Can he shoot from the outside at the Division 1 level of play. And finally will there be a Freshman who will be able to contribute immediately like Arop and Olynyk did last year? And who will that be?

Jedster
07-18-2010, 09:36 AM
Reborn, good thoughts! A few of my own to follow up....

Steven Gray-I think he is definitely one of the big keys to the team this year. If he plays well and up to potential, we are going to be very difficult to beat. If he can be a bit more consistent on his outside shot, then he will be a nightmare match up for teams as he can drive the ball and will be difficult to guard. His outstanding play on defense will be big this year too.

I expect Elias to be much more consistent throughout the whole year now that he has a full year at the NCAA level under his belt. I think early on he caught a lot of teams off guard, and after they adapted to him he struggled a bit more. Based on what I've heard in the press and his reasons for returning, I expect to see him mostly at the 3 spot with some time at the 4. Elias will be the main focus of the offense and will need to be smart and not force things and use his teammates. He too can be a match up problem for teams. If you put a big guy on him, he will take him outside for the long shot, or the pump fake and drive by him. Put a smaller quicker guy on him and he will work him over inside. I agree on his defense...he needs to tighten that up in order to be a great all around player.

I am excited to see what Rob brings this year. My two big keys for him are staying disciplined to avoid foul trouble and reading defenses to make the pass out of the double team. He needs to get a bit quicker with his decision making there, and once he makes his mind up, be assertive and get the pass out, or take it hard to the hoop. I really hope to see Rob get up to 30 min a game, and these two keys above will help with that. I'd also like to see him get a bit better positioning for rebounding and snag a few more per game.

I see Kelly and Sam as sharing time at the 4(Kelly starting), with each of them capable of sliding over to the 5 to spell Rob (with Sam as the #1 option to back up Rob). Both of them will provide different things to the team when in. Kelly the hustle, smart play and a bit of scoring and rebounding, but Sam I think will be scoring and rebounding first. The key for me with Sam will be his decision making with the ball. He needs to be smart with his shots and play within the system. This year he isn't the go-to guy, and needs to be disciplined with his shots. He will also take some time to get adjusted to the game speed at this level. I am super excited to see him these next 4 years!

I also envision Manny being the primary backup for Elias at the 3 and also getting some time with Steven on the bench. He will bring much the same as last year with a bit more scoring as he's more comfortable in the system and will be counted on for more scoring when in.

PG will be interesting. I think Meech will get 20-25 min a game to start and depending on how he's improved, will go from there. If he's not playing well, then Carter will up his 15-20 minutes a game and take those minutes away from Meech. It will be interesting to see how Few handles the minutes of these two as I'm sure Carter didn't come here to get 10-15 minutes a game, as he had a few other options for lots of playing time.

As has been mentioned before, the jump from 1st year to 2nd year for a player can be huge. I think we often underestimate the mental and physical toll a season can have on a player, especially in their first year at Div I basketball, and especially when you're playing a lot of minutes. It's a long season. Rob, Elias, and Meech, all took on tremendous responsibility and minutes for the first time at the Div 1 level. That is a big learning process and adjustment. I expect they'll hit the ground running after going through last year. Kelly and Manny, though playing in a lesser role will be expected to take a step up this year and be counted on more. Last years "seasoning" will help tremendously as they play a bigger role. I think this experience will help a lot in terms of consistent game in and game out quality play.

As has also been said before, the big wild card in all of this is injuries. Let's pray for good health for all of them as I think if these players play close, or to, their potential, we could see great things this year.

jazzdelmar
07-18-2010, 09:45 AM
point guard play.............

MickMick
07-18-2010, 10:25 AM
I expect a lot of early frustration.

Questions:

How/who is going to consistently feed Sacre the ball inside?

Put Harris at wing and expect unproven Dower to be one of our primary rebounders? A guy known for his offensive prowess but not really a "power" player. Meanwhile Arop (who could possibly emerge as the Zag's best player) is a 6th man? I'll make a predicition. Arop will out rebound Dower by a considerable margin regardless of who starts.

On the court, who is the "brains" of this outfit?

Assuming Harris can consistently score from wing, Sacre can get fed inside, and Gray can up his scoring average (for all three to happen is assuming a lot), we are looking at roughly 30-45 points a game. Where are the other 40 coming from?

I'm skeptical......especially the talk of playing Harris at a position other than where he has traditionally excelled. The team might eventually mesh, but losing Matt is a much bigger hit than many might think.

I agreed with much of the early optimisim that Mal provided last pre season. Considering the unkowns going in, Mal was essentially correct. This Season? I think the Zags might even regress a little. I'll have to see the starting lineup to know for sure.

zagnut2012
07-18-2010, 10:47 AM
Some Steven questions....

I love his game, and in a few games last season we saw him become a different, more aggressive, drive to the basket type of player. I was impressed with that style of play from him and thought that it would make it easier for him to get the space needed for his outside game. It was exciting to see that from him. That is more of a Matty style. I hope that he will be that type of "give me the ball" player this year.

It will be interesting to see what his Senior year will be like.

Any thoughts?

Zagnut 2012

Reborn
07-18-2010, 10:48 AM
How/who is going to consistently feed Sacre the ball inside?

On the court, who is the "brains" of this outfit?

Assuming Harris can consistently score from wing, Sacre can get fed inside, and Gray can up his scoring average (for all three to happen is assuming a lot), we are looking at roughly 30-45 points a game. Where are the other 40 coming from?

1. Who feeds Sacre the ball? Same guys who did last year: Gray, Harris, Meech and Olynyk, Araop. You don't give much credit to this groups ability to pass. Matt was not the whole team, no matter how good you think he was. Gray is as good of a passer as Bouldin, imo. Harris can feed the post, and certainly Olynyk. Meech can and I know Carter can. Arop is a very good passer. Why so negative Mick Mick?

2. Gray will run this team, and his assistant will be Meech. So will Harris, and Sacre. This is one tough team with good leadership. Maybe it will Sacre? I really don't think Matt was a great leader. He was and is a highly skilled player with high IQ, but I question his leadership qualities. I see better leadership on the court this year.

3. First of all Harris, Gray and Sacre will average closer to 50 per game than to 30. Come on Mick Mick! How could these 3 possibly average 30? What's happening to ya? Olynyk 7, Meech 9, Arop 7, Carter 6, Dower 5 and throw in 2-4 more points. If the top 3 scorers go down to about 47 or 46 per game other players like Arop, Dower, Olynyk and I think Carter have the offensive skill to pick up the slack. The stats I give are high, but it shows the offensive potential. This will be a typical Zag team that averages around 80 ppg. This year's offensive production will be higher than last year's.

MDABE80
07-18-2010, 11:34 AM
Well one thing's certain: Meech can run.....

MickMick
07-18-2010, 11:53 AM
1. Who feeds Sacre the ball? Same guys who did last year: Gray, Harris, Meech and Olynyk, Araop. You don't give much credit to this groups ability to pass. Matt was not the whole team, no matter how good you think he was. Gray is as good of a passer as Bouldin, imo. Harris can feed the post, and certainly Olynyk. Meech can and I know Carter can. Arop is a very good passer. Why so negative Mick Mick?

2. Gray will run this team, and his assistant will be Meech. So will Harris, and Sacre. This is one tough team with good leadership. Maybe it will Sacre? I really don't think Matt was a great leader. He was and is a highly skilled player with high IQ, but I question his leadership qualities. I see better leadership on the court this year.

3. First of all Harris, Gray and Sacre will average closer to 50 per game than to 30. Come on Mick Mick! How could these 3 possibly average 30? What's happening to ya? Olynyk 7, Meech 9, Arop 7, Carter 6, Dower 5 and throw in 2-4 more points. If the top 3 scorers go down to about 47 or 46 per game other players like Arop, Dower, Olynyk and I think Carter have the offensive skill to pick up the slack. The stats I give are high, but it shows the offensive potential. This will be a typical Zag team that averages around 80 ppg. This year's offensive production will be higher than last year's.

The Zags had a common theme for last year. When Matt struggled, the Zags struggled.......mightily.

Matt's worst games:

Duke
At LMU
Syracuse

All beatdowns. Who stepped in to fill the void?

I love Grays game (his positives greatly outweigh the negatives) but I dunno about instinctive quarterbacking. Remember USF? A Don's player knocks the ball out of bounds. Steven makes a great effort to save it. Problem is, he batted it to a USF player at their end of the court who then kicks out to Lowhorn for a three and the game heads into OT. Steven leaves the ball alone and it is Zag ball. Instinctive thinking? On other occasions, how many times did we see Steven pass the ball directly to an opponenet? Steven is at his best when he is fed.....not vice a versa.

I won't even get into Meech distributing the ball or the thread will mutate quickly.

With respect to running plays, the idea is to get the ball to Harris and Sacre. Not count on them to compensate for Bouldin's missing assists.

Taking all of this into account, we expect the scoring for Harris and Sacre to increase? A JC transfer is going to fill up the stat sheet and effectively run the offense like Matt? For Harris and Sacre to match their scoring from last season it will need to be so. I'll believe it when I see it.

Right now, I am day dreaming about Bell, Dranginis, and Wiltjer. I will get as "positive" as you want when it comes to those additions. I'll drink all of that "Kool aid".

Reborn
07-18-2010, 01:16 PM
Mick Mick I understand where you're coming from. The board has been drooling over those two and pangos all summer. Mostly Wiltjer and Pangos. The result is that next year's team has almost been forgotton, and that's why I wanted to post something just to keep their fuego in the middle of Zagnation. I just went back and watched the GU vs Florida St game from last year's NCAA tournament just to see how many times Bouldin threw the ball into the low post? Take a good guess. Once. Bouldin seldom looked for Sacre all year. And yet Sacre had a great game against Florida St., and most likely someone else threw him the ball.

I, for one, will enjoy next year for sure. And it's NOT about drinking kool aid either. It's based on fact. We have 4 starters coming back off last years team. Two of them averaged more than 15 ppg last year. Last years team had one returning starter, at times two, and only one player who averaged more that 15. I'm just trying to help you out Mick Mick.

And why are you more excited about Wiltjir, who has not even committed to be a Zag, than you are about Harris who may be first team All-American, and Grey and maybe even Sacre who could be on the honorable mention team. These 3 guys will be first team All WCC for sure, and that's something to hollar about.

MickMick
07-18-2010, 01:44 PM
Mick Mick I understand where you're coming from. The board has been drooling over those two and pangos all summer. Mostly Wiltjer and Pangos. The result is that next year's team has almost been forgotton, and that's why I wanted to post something just to keep their fuego in the middle of Zagnation. I just went back and watched the GU vs Florida St game from last year's NCAA tournament just to see how many times Bouldin threw the ball into the low post? Take a good guess. Once. Bouldin seldom looked for Sacre all year. And yet Sacre had a great game against Florida St., and most likely someone else threw him the ball.

I, for one, will enjoy next year for sure. And it's NOT about drinking kool aid either. It's based on fact. We have 4 starters coming back off last years team. Two of them averaged more than 15 ppg last year. Last years team had one returning starter, at times two, and only one player who averaged more that 15. I'm just trying to help you out Mick Mick.

And why are you more excited about Wiltjir, who has not even committed to be a Zag, than you are about Harris who may be first team All-American, and Grey and maybe even Sacre who could be on the honorable mention team. These 3 guys will be first team All WCC for sure, and that's something to hollar about.

If Bell were teamed up with Harris, I would be every bit as excited as I am for Wiltjer (if he comes). Harris is a stud. It would be a dream to see Harris working with Bell.

Reborn
07-18-2010, 06:09 PM
If Bell were teamed up with Harris, I would be every bit as excited as I am for Wiltjer (if he comes). Harris is a stud. It would be a dream to see Harris working with Bell.

How about Harris and Grey? There are two studs. I hope Bell becomes every bit the player that Steven Grey has. And both are from the great state of Washington.

CDC84
07-18-2010, 08:35 PM
1) Marquise Carter being every bit of the player the staff envision him to be at the point guard position.

2) Manny Arop staying healthy the whole season.

3) Rob Sacre learning to stay out of foul trouble and see the floor for longer stretches of time.

4) Steven Gray getting his long range jumper back.

5) The whole team getting better from the free throw line. Especially important with Bouldin no longer on the roster.

hooter73
07-19-2010, 09:45 AM
For the most part it comes down to a few basics for me:
1) Someone besides a wing needs to rebound the ball.
2) Team free throws need to be in that upper 70 to lower 80% range

Assists will come from one or another, Harris will still stuff the S out of the ball, Gray will play his game. He is actually one of my concerns of whether he puts the time in this summer or not. The floor general/leader thing may not be as aparent as with other teams in the past but if everyone works together instead of all trying to be standouts there will be sucess. As the roster looks right now, i dont think there will be as much of an issue of competing for playing time as we really do look well rounded right now. I'm guessing another impressive preseason group of games and then some WCC issues for whatever reason we cant escape similar to last year.

Reborn
07-19-2010, 10:18 AM
I'm guessing another impressive preseason group of games and then some WCC issues for whatever reason we cant escape similar to last year.

I just don't see the WCC as tough as it was last year. I predict the Zags will lose one WCC game and win the WCC tournament next year. Zags earn a 3 seed in the west someplace.

titopoet
07-19-2010, 10:22 AM
For the most part it comes down to a few basics for me:
1) Someone besides a wing needs to rebound the ball.
2) Team free throws need to be in that upper 70 to lower 80% range

A couple of things. BYU led the nation in FT% at 79. the next team was 76 to ask the GU to improve FT% to the point of being among the nation's best is a bit over reaching. Low 70s seem a realistic goal. (Since, GU is losing one of their better FT shooters in Matt)

Also, no seems to mention Mathises. i think they will be big part of next year.

CDC84
07-19-2010, 10:51 AM
Gonzaga will be hard pressed to EVER duplicate what the 2005/06 team did....shoot 78.2% from the foul line. The fact that the greatest foul shooter in the history of D-1 basketball was on the team really boosted that percentage. With the Zags shooting just 66.4% from the foul line last year, a low 70's percentage this year would work for me. This team is probably not capable of being an elite foul shooting team, but it's capable of doing better than it did last season. They need to just knock enough of them down to keep the foul shooting from being a major team weakness.

Reborn
07-19-2010, 10:52 AM
1. 3 pt shooting. This is an obvious need that we didn't have last year. Few went out specifically to recruit shooters. I look forward to see how Few and staff did.

2. How much time the guys put in this summer to improving. I have actually heard absolutely nothing about ANY Zags doing anything. I take that back. BZ says Sacre has really improved. I've heard nothing about the rest. This really concerns me.

3. Our new assistant coach. We lose a very good assistant coach, but I think we've also picked up a very good one. Good job by Few.

4. The point guard play. This is a pretty big key. I think I may be the most excited about this position because it's the one that really hurt us last year the most. Will Meech improve his shooting this summer, or will Carter take over at point? All eyes will be on Maraquise this Fall.

5. I think the bench play will be a huge key. Few really cleaned up the bench. I think it was a good move. I think we will have a better bench next year and that's good. We will have two guys who played last year, one a redshirt but who is pretty good I think. The returning player will either be olynyk or Arop. Both of them are pretty good, and if Dower starts and it's Manny and Arop off the bench I think that's great. I'm one who really believes in the bench. Every great team needs a good bench. That's a fact. When Arop went out last year with the broken foot, it really hurt the Zags.

6. I think one of the Freshmen has to really step up and be a key player off the bench. He must be better than just filling in a gap. We need someone that can be counted on to score while he's in. There's not a lot of room for the freshmen, so they will really be battling it out. Will one of them redshirt?

LongIslandZagFan
07-19-2010, 11:09 AM
1. Running Meech out of town. :D (Sorry, had to put that in for the haters)

2. More balanced interior/exterior game. I felt like most of last season there seemed to be a limited interior threat and that the boys were playing a perimeter game. When they did play inside it seemed forced. I hope Sam and Rob change that.

3. Harris evolving into more of a SF than a PF. Running a line of Sam/Rob/Elias up top from time to time would be a challenge for some teams... especially in WCC play where size is more limited.

4. Stephen becoming more consistent with his perimeter shots and good ball management from Meech/Carter.

hooter73
07-19-2010, 11:52 AM
Had a Monday Morning Brain Fade. On the free throws I meant upper 60's to lower 70's percentage. I'd take 80's through I guess lol.

I still wonder at all the Sacre foul issues. During last season I would have sworn the problem was the WCC refs not being used to a strong physical presence. IDK.

Once and Future Zag
07-19-2010, 12:56 PM
I still wonder at all the Sacre foul issues. During last season I would have sworn the problem was the WCC refs not being used to a strong physical presence. IDK.

Given the first few games of the year (MSU and Maui) where the refs let 'em play - and where Rob had success - I think got Rob into a mentality of going full out from the start, and not trying to feel out the Refs before amping up his physicality if they will not call him for fouls.

Kuso liked coming off the bench for that reason Rob's frosh year - so he could get a quick glimpse of the game from the outside and adjust accordingly when he came in.

Since the WCC refs are from the same pool as the Pac-10 and a third conference (MWC? WAC?) it's not that they don't see physical play, it's just that they call the game different than the rest of the country.

former1dog
07-19-2010, 01:04 PM
1. Rob Sacre improving his passing out of double teams. He could average double figure assists until teams realize they can't double team him without paying the price if he gets better at passing out of double teams.

2. 3 point shooting percentage, see no #1.

Russell Bevan
07-19-2010, 01:13 PM
2010 and 2011

It comes down to basics.

We need a point guard to step up. My vote would be for Steven to move to the point and take one for the team. It would cost him ppg, but he is a Zag and the greats do what needs to be done.

Rob and Elias stay healthy.

Kelly or Sam makes a big impact.

Manny develops as expected between his first and second year.

These things happen we are winning 24+ games.

FrosTbear
07-19-2010, 01:14 PM
I will start with the Key to going far in the Big Dance…DEFENSE!!! GU has the players to keep up with every team when it comes to scoring. When Marshal (Coach) Few and his deputies went on the scouting trail to find physical playing shooters that can hit the three with someone in their face, and they brought back 4 scoring machines, so let the shooting begin. We have moved our game from outside to now inside and we have the horses to make this happen..Elias, Rob, Sam, and Kelly. But GU started to understand what Coach Ray has been saying from day one…Defense wins the big games.
Last year we won games not from our scoring but from our Defense, We out rebounded, out hustled and controlled the ball better than the team we were playing and we won the game. The games when we didn’t win was because of the lack of effort on the Defense side.
To have success we need to improve on three truths:

#1 IT IS OUR BALL AND I WILL DO EVERYTHING I CAN TO GRAB, STEAL, GO AFTER AND CONTROL THE BALL.

#2 THE NUMBER OF POINTS I SCORE IS NOT AS IMPORTANT AS THE NUMBER OF REBOUNDS, STEALS, BLOCKS AND TURNOVERS I FORCE.

#3 I AM A BULL DOG AND I CONTROL THE PAINT-IF YOU COME IN SOMEONE IS GOING TO GET BIT

Reborn
07-19-2010, 01:34 PM
To have success we need to improve on three truths: #1 IT IS OUR BALL AND I WILL DO EVERYTHING I CAN TO GRAB, STEAL, GO AFTER AND CONTROL THE BALL.

#2 THE NUMBER OF POINTS I SCORE IS NOT AS IMPORTANT AS THE NUMBER OF REBOUNDS, STEALS, BLOCKS AND TURNOVERS I FORCE.

#3 I AM A BULL DOG AND I CONTROL THE PAINT-IF YOU COME IN SOMEONE IS GOING TO GET BIT

Where did you get these truths. I like them!!!

Ekrub
07-19-2010, 03:47 PM
Where did you get these truths. I like them!!!

Scoring points should be the #1 priority.

bigblahla
07-19-2010, 06:09 PM
I just don't see the WCC as tough as it was last year. I predict the Zags will lose one WCC game and win the WCC tournament next year. Zags earn a 3 seed in the west someplace.

You're not looking close enough. If the Zags just lose one in conference it means the team has grown and jelled. Next season in the WCC will be as tough as nails unless the injury bug strikes.

Even without Kevin Young LMU scares the heck out of me. Max Good has one heck of a team and SMC and SCU are right behind the Lions. USF and the Pilots will be more than just competitive. Lets just hope our WCC brethren perform well out of conference so any loss to one of them is not considered a bad loss.

Go!! Zags!!!

Zagdawg
07-19-2010, 06:54 PM
Portland is going to have a tougher time this coming year-- they lose qty 5 seniors -- top 3 scorers and 67% of their scoring.

But they do return 4 juniors who will be seniors -- so they will have adequate experience to make some noise.

Reborn
07-19-2010, 06:56 PM
You're not looking close enough. If the Zags just lose one in conference it means the team has grown and jelled. Next season in the WCC will be as tough as nails unless the injury bug strikes.

I may not be looking close enough, but I don't need to. The Zags have a very very good team. You may need to look a little closer at the Zags. Ha ha I mean next years team and not the year after,or the year after that. There's some pretty good talent on this team, and I just can't wait to see and enjoy them.

bigblahla
07-19-2010, 07:16 PM
I may not be looking close enough, but I don't need to. The Zags have a very very good team. You may need to look a little closer at the Zags. Ha ha I mean next years team and not the year after,or the year after that. There's some pretty good talent on this team, and I just can't wait to see and enjoy them.

I'll get excited when I see passes into the post anticipated and delivered at the proper time instead of dribble dribble dribble, Hopefully Carter will fill the roll. Putting Steven at the point makes no sense as he tends to get lazy and lax with his passing.

I'm very excited about next years team but then I'm a Zag fan.

Reborn, what do you think of SCU next season? The Pilots won't be as good but they won't just go away I expect them to be competitive, USF will be competitive. The Lions and Gaels have the talent to beat the Zags on any given night, not just when we have a let down. Too many people here discount the talent coming into the WCC.

Sudden Sam will make us all smile.

Go!! Zags!!!

PilotNut
07-20-2010, 03:59 PM
Portland is going to have a tougher time this coming year-- they lose qty 5 seniors -- top 3 scorers and 67% of their scoring.

But they do return 4 juniors who will be seniors -- so they will have adequate experience to make some noise.

There is no doubt that we lost a lot of experience and talent with the 5 seniors graduating... but saying that we lose our top 3 scorers is a little tricky... if you look at averages per game for the season, yes we do... however, remember that Nik Raivo only played in the first 3 WCC games, and then missed the rest of the season... we were able to remain competitive thanks to contributions from some of the younger guys (especially Mitrovic). We did lose our top 2 scorers as of the end of the season, in Robin Smeulders and TJ Campbell.

Losing TJ at the point is huge... he was truly talented, and was a large reason why Jared Stohl was able to get open and get the ball... I think next year hinges on the PG position, and finding the replacement... Tim Douglas?

75Zag
07-20-2010, 06:54 PM
I am very hopeful about the upcoming season. Unlike some of you, I am not prepared to bet my retirement account on a Final Four appearance, but I do believe that the Bulldogs could come together during what may be Harris' final year and do something very special.

As a traveling Alumni / Fan, I am a bit disappointed at the selection of away games. Maui was great. This year is ??? as a replacement for Maui? Rust belt? Whatever.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

Reborn
07-21-2010, 06:31 AM
Reborn, what do you think of SCU next season? The Pilots won't be as good but they won't just go away I expect them to be competitive, USF will be competitive. The Lions and Gaels have the talent to beat the Zags on any given night, not just when we have a let down. Too many people here discount the talent coming into the WCC.

I agree with you that Santa Clara will have a very good team, and play us very tough. They were tough last year, and will be tougher this year. USF always plays Gonzaga very tough, and they are one team that always makes me very nervous when we play them. They beat us last year too. St. Mary's will be very tough and so will Loyola Marymount. I have always thought the WCC is a very competitive league, although not the best out there. Conference play is always tough.

I think most teams are rebuilding more than Gonzaga. It's not so much what I think about the rest of the Conference, it's just that I think Gonzaga is going to be really good next year. We have 4 out 5 starters back, and our best two players off the bench back. We have a redshirt freshman who, from everything I am hearing is very good. We have a JC point guard coming in who played on one of the best Junior College teams in the country. I am hoping he will be very good. This just looks like a strong Zag team, led by a 2nd team preseason All-American, and senior guard Steven Gray who has been a huge contributor to the Zags since his Freshman year. One loss in the WCC seems reasonable to me.

titopoet
07-21-2010, 07:56 AM
As I read this thread, I came to the realization of the major key for success. The key is to make sure GU has more points than their opponent at the sound of the buzzer. Make sure they do that 30+ times next year and they will be successful.

Robzagnut
07-21-2010, 08:13 AM
1. NO INJURIES!!!!

I'm really getting tired of seeing a key player get injured for the past 5 seasons in a row. Too many woulda, coulda, shouldas.

2. Point guard play - If Meech is only getting 10-15 minutes by the end of the season, that's a good sign, because it means Carter has stepped up to be the main man at PG.