PDA

View Full Version : Who's the better shooter?

BobZag
05-13-2007, 10:59 AM
Oregon's Tajuan Porter

or

Rotnei Clarke?

Should compare high school age to high school age. Who was/is the best? Anyone know?

D Hark 2003
05-14-2007, 03:28 PM
well considering Porter was shooting in the pac 10 last year i would say Porter is the better shooter, but I would have to admit that i have not seen either of these guys stats.

CDC84
05-14-2007, 03:48 PM
It depends on how you define what a great shooter is. For me, it's about consistency. Not hot/cold streaks. Great shooters will have occasional games where their shot is off, but by and large, they're canning 3/6, 2/5, 4/7, etc., almost every game. You don't see many 10/12 performances, for instance. I don't know Clarke well enough to know if he's consistent or if he is prone to hot/cold streaks.

The problem with Porter is that he can either be hotter than any 3 point shooter in history (see UNLV game), or stone cold (see Florida game). Porter shot below 29% from 3 point land in all of Oregon's losses last season. At 43.7%, you can't deny his shooting ability, but I would rather have the guy that shoots 40% from 3 point land and is consistent about it.

Nevtelen
05-14-2007, 05:05 PM
It seems to be that what separates a great shooter from a good one comes down to the ability to create. No matter how pretty your stroke, if you're just a spot-up shooter, some teams will be able to disrupt you by taking away your spots. A great shooter who can create for himself doesn't have to worry as much about that and is therefore more consistent. Porter not bad at this on the break, but if he was guarded closely, he had issues. Who knows with Clarke, but it sounds like he's not to bad, especially if he can get into the lane well and score on floaters or leaners.

MickMick
05-14-2007, 07:58 PM
Porter sure looked great against USC in the Pac-10 championship. If Clarke is anything like that, than he would be quite a catch. As for shooters *(not creators), I have a soft spot for Ravio. If only he had more of a "knack" for getting to the line.

*I call JJ Reddik a shooter, and Adam Morrison a creator.