PDA

View Full Version : Bol Kong leaving Gonzaga

GUDan07
07-16-2010, 02:46 PM
It would appear that Bol Kong's days in a GU uniform are over.

http://www.slipperstillfits.com/2010/7/16/1573607/bol-kong-becomes-gonzagas-latest

UberZagFan
07-16-2010, 02:48 PM
Wow. Dropping like flies...

gozagswoohoo
07-16-2010, 02:49 PM
Damnit

former1dog
07-16-2010, 02:50 PM
As I stated in the other thread, I'm very sorry to see Bol go. He was a very good player, with the potential to be great.

Good luck to Bol where ever he ends up.
:(

RenoZag
07-16-2010, 02:51 PM
Good luck to him. Hope he finds an opportunity that suits his needs.

BroncoZAG615
07-16-2010, 02:51 PM
To be fair, this has been discussed here for the past day and a half. Just so happens that our "source" (can't believe I just said that) is quite credible and confirmed the rumor.

It is a bummer...

GUDan07
07-16-2010, 02:56 PM
Might be a blessing in disguise. It was becoming very hard for me to see how we would be able to sign some of the very talented players that are going to be available in the coming years without any scholarships available. With Bol gone, that task becomes a little easier. Though he had some flashes of offensive ability, for the most part he looked lost on the floor and just didn't seem to be able to find a rhythm. With even more talent on the roster than last year, it seems like he saw the writing on the wall that his minutes might not be moving in the direction that he would like.

Bogozags
07-16-2010, 03:08 PM
Just thinking aloud...is our recruiting of KW and/or Pangos causing BK's departure?

I can see the departures of GG and CJ but BK is much more athletic than GG and could play three positions (2/3/4). Something must have sparked the decision to let him go, which is why IMO we are close to having someone of magnitude verbal to us!

What do ya'll think?

GUDan07
07-16-2010, 03:10 PM
Just thinking aloud...is our recruiting of KW and/or Pangos causing BK's departure?

I can see the departures of GG and CJ but BK is much more athletic than GG and could play three positions (2/3/4). Something must have sparked the decision to let him go, which is why IMO we are close to having someone of magnitude verbal to us!

What do ya'll think?

I think thats reading a bit much into it. While I'm sure that he is aware of the recruiting that is going on, to infer that it was the reason for his departure is a bit overreaching at this point.

former1dog
07-16-2010, 03:11 PM
Might be a blessing in disguise. It was becoming very hard for me to see how we would be able to sign some of the very talented players that are going to be available in the coming years without any scholarships available. With Bol gone, that task becomes a little easier. Though he had some flashes of offensive ability, for the most part he looked lost on the floor and just didn't seem to be able to find a rhythm.

I completely disagree. Where admittedly Bol struggled at times on the basketball court, so did Rob Sacre, Matt Bouldin, Steven Gray and maybe more pertinent an example, Manny Arop. Having a hard time on the basketball court when you are new to the team IS NOT an indictment of an individual's overall ability or potential as a basketball player.

ex. Dan Dickau struggled for UW for 2 years and then transferred to Gonzaga. He became an AA.
Jeff Brown, nearly the same story (academic AA).

With even more talent on the roster than last year, it seems like he saw the writing on the wall that his minutes might not be moving in the direction that he would like.

From what Russell Bevan confirmed in the other thread, this has NOTHING to do with his departure. Russell, IMHO, is about a reliable as it gets for sources of good information on this board. He indicated the problems were academic in nature.

Bogozags
07-16-2010, 03:16 PM
I completely disagree. Where admittedly Bol struggled at times on the basketball court, so did Rob Sacre, Matt Bouldin, Steven Gray and maybe more pertinent an example, Manny Arop. Having a hard time on the basketball court when you are new to the team IS NOT an indictment of an individual's overall ability or potential as a basketball player.

ex. Dan Dickau struggled for UW for 2 years and then transferred to Gonzaga. He became an AA.
Jeff Brown, nearly the same story (academic AA).

From what Russell Bevan confirmed in the other thread, this has NOTHING to do with his departure. Russell, IMHO, is about a reliable as it gets for sources of good information on this board. He indicated the problems were academic in nature.

I didn't see this other thread on this board, where might it be located?

former1dog
07-16-2010, 03:18 PM
I didn't see this other thread on this board, where might it be located?

http://www.guboards.com/showthread.php?t=29536

The end of the 3rd page is the take it to the bank money quote. If Russell said(wrote) it, you can take it to the bank.

Bogozags
07-16-2010, 03:29 PM
http://www.guboards.com/showthread.php?t=29536

The end of the 3rd page is the take it to the bank money quote. If Russell said(wrote) it, you can take it to the bank.

Thanks!

I normally start at the top of the board and go down reading the parts of a thread that was new...it was my misfortune to miss this one, as I wouldn't have made a post about our recruiting.

Having read that thread, then I can see that happening as he was a student-athlete, with student being first...I really felt it couldn't have been because of his what he brought to the table as a BB player as he is very talented. I wish him the very best in everything he does! THANKS and GOOD LUCK BK!

BobZag
07-16-2010, 03:40 PM
Let it be known I did not name names and only hinted in the vaguest of ways at no one in particular.

ZagNative
07-16-2010, 03:42 PM
Is there a reason we need two threads on this subject?

former1dog
07-16-2010, 03:44 PM
Is there a reason we need two threads on this subject?

I thought the same thing, but the thread title of the other thread doesn't indicate that that thread turned into the Bol Kong thread, which is why Bogo didn't know about Russell's post.

ZagNative
07-16-2010, 03:46 PM
I thought the same thing, but the thread title of the other thread doesn't indicate that that thread turned into the Bol Kong thread, which is why Bogo didn't know about Russell's post.You're right. I was just going to delete my post, but you beat me to it.

BobZag
07-16-2010, 03:54 PM
It'll grow old and pass quite soon.

Meanwhile, this is the first time I'm older than the Gonzaga president. Jeez Louise, am I feeling oooold.

maineblackbear
07-16-2010, 03:55 PM
never mind-- I wrote a longer post and realized it goes into the 'who cares?' category. Good luck Mr. Kong.

former1dog
07-16-2010, 03:59 PM
never mind-- I wrote a longer post and realized it goes into the 'who cares?' category. Good luck Mr. Kong.

I liked your first post. I vote for re posting it.

810Suited
07-16-2010, 04:10 PM
Might be a blessing in disguise. It was becoming very hard for me to see how we would be able to sign some of the very talented players that are going to be available in the coming years without any scholarships available. With Bol gone, that task becomes a little easier. Though he had some flashes of offensive ability, for the most part he looked lost on the floor and just didn't seem to be able to find a rhythm. With even more talent on the roster than last year, it seems like he saw the writing on the wall that his minutes might not be moving in the direction that he would like.

still bugs me out that people are always worried about scholarship numbers for next year. people have been saying they will work themselves out, there is really no need to worry about it, imho. kong would have been great for this team this year, no worries though. best of luck to him in the future.

any thoughts on where he goes? if its academics, does that mean he has to go to jc?

MickMick
07-16-2010, 04:15 PM

I couldn't disagree more.

Not a blessing in a disguise. He knows the system and unlike the previous departures, this young man is more than good enough to be a very valuable, immediate contributer. I really hate to see him go. More than any other transfer in the past, I hate to see him go.

There has got to be some underlying reasons that go beyond what you are suggesting.

The Zags are weaker without him. I consider it a serious blow.

AzZag
07-16-2010, 04:33 PM
My favorite motto from the University of Michigan, ala Bo Schembechler.

"Those Who Stay Will Be Champions"

GUDan07
07-16-2010, 04:42 PM
I don't understand the thoughts on here about this being a big loss for GU. Where were the minutes going to come from for this guy? He never proved last year that he could be a valuable contributor. Calling him raw is a big understatement. He didn't board (only 1.5 per game!), was poor defensively and did little to get others involved in the offense. The only real value that he provided last year was his 3 point shooting early in the season which disappeared toward the end. If that's all you're going to get out of him, then I would have to believe that the players that we brought in going into this year are going to be a better source of that than Kong. I'm not trying to take parting shots at a kid as he leaves the program, I'm just saying that we might be getting a little sentimental here about a guy that played just 12 minutes a game and averaged less than 5ppg.

The509sfinest
07-16-2010, 04:49 PM
Second Favirote team: Whatever college my dude Bol Kong decides to go play for.....my fav zag this year...Where ever he plays he will blow up the next 2 season and will be in the NBA....MARK MY WORDS!!!

sittingon50
07-16-2010, 05:01 PM
I disagree with the notion that it may be a blessing in disguise that frees up a scholarship. Though this is the 1st of the recent 4 that seems to be academically related, somewhere down the line a certain # of recruits (or more likely their parents) are going to say "what the h*ll is going on there"? They won't care why player's are leaving, just that they are.

It's very disappointing that after all the effort that was made on many levels to get Bol into school that he didn't hold up his end of the deal & if he didn't then he has to move along. He's not the 1st young kid that didn't make it at GU. I wish him all the best.

The Zags have lost kids before (and in multiples) but not when the light has been shining so brightly. I'm just not seeing what good comes of all this.

ZagNative
07-16-2010, 05:03 PM
The title to this thread says Bol is transferring. However, the only thing I got from the SSF story is that he has left GU. If the issue was, as some have stated, "grades," and he was academically ineligible when he left Gonzaga, he would be ineligible to transfer to a D1 school.

The509sfinest
07-16-2010, 05:06 PM
The title to this thread says Bol is transferring. However, the only thing I got from the SSF story is that he has left GU. If the issue was, as some have stated, "grades," and he was academically ineligible when he left Gonzaga, he would be ineligible to transfer to a D1 school.

ughhhh dont say that :( even if it is true...

GUDan07
07-16-2010, 05:11 PM

Sorry, I was unaware of the grades problem and just assumed that he was going to another school.

Drew
07-16-2010, 05:18 PM
Unfortunately, for Bol, he still has the 4 in 5 year rule & transfer rule to deal with. I assume he is going to a D2 school next year.

Ezag
07-16-2010, 05:33 PM
I just saw Bol just last week playing freebie in Mulligan field on campus with Arop, Sacre, Gray and several others....interesting

JohnOGU
07-16-2010, 05:39 PM
Wasnt a good fit on either side. Bottomline.

CDC84
07-16-2010, 05:41 PM
http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/sportslink/2010/jul/16/kong-leaving-gonzaga/#more

Athletic director Mike Roth confirmed the 6-foot-6 Kong has left the program. Roth wasn’t sure of Kong’s plans, but it was his understanding that Kong had returned to Canada. At this point, Kong hasn’t asked for a release to U.S. schools, which indicates he’ll likely play in Canada

It wouldn't shock me if Kong never plays organized ball again in the U.S. or Canada. It's speculation on my part, but I think this goes beyond academics and has entered into the Theo Davis realm. In short: burn out. He doesn't have a passion for the game that he once had. Which is perfectly fine. It's not a criticism at all. College basketball is a huge commitment, and the kid has a right to pursue his own bliss.

Whatever he decides to do, I wish him all the best in his future endeavors.

ID ZAGFAN
07-16-2010, 08:04 PM
http://www.gozags.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/071610aaa.html

"Bol Kong Withdraws From Summer School Classes
Won't return to men's basketball team in the fall"

ZaGranny

coolhandzag
07-16-2010, 09:24 PM
Once a Zag always a Zag. Have peace of heart, peace of mind and peace of soul. Best of luck. I'll be cheering for you.

zagnut2012
07-17-2010, 05:51 AM
Good luck Bol!

Let's show why we are a "ZAG Family" and wish the young man all the success in his future. Just didn't work out for what ever reason. We all saw the raw talent there, he would not have been recruited here if "It" was not there.

Zagnut 2012

MickMick
07-17-2010, 06:34 AM
Good luck Bol!

Let's show why we are a "ZAG Family" and wish the young man all the success in his future. Just didn't work out for what ever reason. We all saw the raw talent there, he would not have been recruited here if "It" was not there.

Zagnut 2012

+1

Reborn
07-17-2010, 07:20 AM
Wishing all the best for Bol.

TheZagPhish
07-17-2010, 09:13 AM
Best to Bol.

I am grateful for those catapult threes and, before he even arrived, for inspiring some very, very funny threads on this board.

Virginia Zags Fan
07-17-2010, 09:21 AM
I too will miss Bol and wish him the best. I am sure Manny will really miss him as it is nice to have a kindred spirit on the team. Regardless, I hope Bol works through some things and returns to school and basketball. He certainly has a gift and I hope he uses it to further his life after basketball.

misszigzag
07-17-2010, 11:18 AM
Wow, this is really dissapointing to hear.

Good luck to Bol!

thespywhozaggedme
07-17-2010, 03:54 PM
I'm very saddened that he didn't hold up his end of the bargain. Wish him the best.

kitzbuel
07-17-2010, 05:46 PM
As disappointing as it is, I don't think anyone really felt that Bol owed GU anything outside of doing what was asked of him while he was on scholarship. The staff seems to realize these things happen and aren't going to pillory someone for changing their mind mid-stream.

BobZag
07-17-2010, 05:58 PM
As disappointing as it is, I don't think anyone really felt that Bol owed GU anything outside of doing what was asked of him while he was on scholarship. The staff seems to realize these things happen and aren't going to pillory someone for changing their mind mid-stream.

Exactly. It was mutual, amicable and Bol can now go outside Canada's borders. I hope he finds a good ball club overseas at a level that fits him and has fun playing hoops. College just isn't for everyone and that's fine.

cjm720
07-17-2010, 09:00 PM
It's very disappointing that after all the effort that was made on many levels to get Bol into school that he didn't hold up his end of the deal & if he didn't then he has to move along. He's not the 1st young kid that didn't make it at GU. I wish him all the best.

Agreed.

The team will have a great season regardless...lots of talent. Go Zags!!

WeSayZed
07-17-2010, 09:20 PM
Exactly. It was mutual, amicable and Bol can now go outside Canada's borders. I hope he finds a good ball club overseas at a level that fits him and has fun playing hoops. College just isn't for everyone and that's fine.

So, what are you saying here? Was it an academic issue?

I donít know him at all but I get the feeling that heís a guy who perhaps doesnít manage major changes in his life all that well. From what Iíve heard the reason he had so much trouble getting into the US in the first place was that he hadnít done the paperwork to become a Canadian citizen. Heíd been living in Canada for many years and was eligible to become a citizen, but he hadnít done it and was still a Somali citizen and only a landed immigrant in Canada. I think maybe heís the kind of kid who needed a red shirt year to adapt and get his school responsibilities sorted out, but by the time he got there that opportunity had passed. Heíll have options in Canada, including SFU which will be an NCAA DII school next year, but if he was academically required to withdraw that could prevent him from getting into a Canadian school right away. They may want him to take a few classes as a part time student to prove that he can get the grades. But maybe youíre suggesting heíll try to get picked up by a pro team somewhere?

Kiddwell
07-17-2010, 09:55 PM
Regarding the news, very simply: (1) totally out-of-the-blue surprised; (2) hoping Bol finds his niche and contentment.

:[

duper
07-19-2010, 12:01 AM
Bol Kong = Kimbo Slice. To much internet hype, that put to much pressure on the guy. He was a good to average player that many had picked to be a first round draft pick before he ever played a D-1 game.:confused:

Scotto
07-19-2010, 05:59 AM
Bol has had poor academic rumours about him since he was a Jr in High School here in BC.

gamagin
07-19-2010, 06:58 AM
seeing him develop and saying his name.

Otherwise, it appears this young athlete has made himself poorer by his own hand. Too bad.

None of us will ever know how good he might have been in a Zag uniform. I wish him well.

SteelCityZag
07-19-2010, 08:11 AM
Saddened to see Bol go. He is a great success story, even if he never plays another minute of organized hoops.

Best of luck Bol.

zagzilla
07-19-2010, 12:28 PM
The frenzy on this board about Kong was over the top and now it was all for naught. Although it is part of being a fan, the lesson from my POV, is to save my excitement for what a player does in a GU uniform not before.

We will see this again as we did with Kong, Theo Davis, P-Mac, Poling, etc..I am not going to get sucked into the Pagnos and Wiltjer hype either. Frankly I doubt we get either of them.

We have often pondered on this board how things will change when we attract "a different type of athlete" to the program. I am glad to see that we still expect our team to go to class, take their own tests and succeed as students as well as athletes.

Good luck Mr. Kong. Gonzaga will be fine-hope you are too.

UberZagFan
07-20-2010, 01:40 PM
Although it is part of being a fan, the lesson from my POV, is to save my excitement for what a player does in a GU uniform not before.

QFT

ronh_pm
07-20-2010, 09:26 PM
It's a strange world and strange things happen.

skan72
07-23-2010, 05:10 PM
Bol was a guy that really impressed me during the nightly scrimmages at team camp... I did not see him leaving, he appeared to be ready to have quite a good year from the way he was attacking, shooting, and just playing with confidence and joy.

This sucks.

dim4sum
07-24-2010, 01:48 PM
The second half of the season for Kong was almost a Jeckyll to Hyde transformation--a mix of apathy to poor play, highlighted the second half.
What is more, he appeared to be looking over his shoulder, playing passively and without joy or abandon. Others,too, seemed in that kind of funk during the second half of the season.Not sure what it was--chemistry,fatigue, an overly-complex playbook or what. It might take an in-depth interview with some of the transferees to go get to the bottom of it, cause we don't want a repetition of that this coming season.

kitzbuel
07-25-2010, 08:12 AM
The staff does have a good thumb on the pulse of the team and the transfers. They are trying to be creative and innovative in getting high quality kids to play at GU. With high risk comes high reward.

MickMick
07-25-2010, 10:37 AM
Everytime a player leaves the program early, there are always those few that immediatley jump in to diminish the player's contributions.

Everytime.

Know one knows how good Bol could have been. He showed flashes that had people raving. His "on court" problem appeared to be a lack of confidence. Under the right conditions, such a problem can be corrected easier than most other problems.

I generally dislike how he is commonly being portrayed upon departure. He didn't play that bad while he was here and earned his way into considerable playing time. No one knows what a year in the system and a summer in Spokane would have done for him.

Birddog
07-25-2010, 10:49 AM
+1 MickMick

MDABE80
07-25-2010, 03:18 PM
When kids leave, it seems we always fret over something...was it him?...did we do something wrong? Will the program or the University look bad? Will competing coaches bring this up when courting new faces?

In some ways, it just looks bad. Just does. When a kid doesn't go to class or does poorly...well..it's kind of a "sine qua non" to be in the program. Maybe...maybe, maybe....I'll be the first to admit that it does cause some anxiety. Would he have done better? Could we have tailored the program better to meet his needs?

Few doesn't recruit a kid he thinks will not to well. Kong did fine for his first year. It's a loser to rehash this from multiple angles....unless...there's something terribly wrong with the program. Right now, as much as we hate losing a young man with potential....I don't see much wrong. Something we do need to keep an eye on. Big time basketball is here. We look for those hidden gems....we have to. We don't get 5 star kids....they go BCS. Some prove out, some don't. We do require student athletes to do their part.

As best I can tell, Bol's performance on the court was adequate. BZ did note that it would take at least a full year for Bol to shape up, fit and acclimate. He hadn't played in a D1 environment and certainly hadn't been in a D1 school with academics higher than a JC. Stress happens....with it's implications. It wasn't Bol's on court work...it was his off court work. Not sure we can do much to help except tutors etc which GU provides.

Lots of things might have happened. The best ones we imagined didn't....or did they? He'll do well on the court because he has that talent. It's the other stuff that too often holds a kid back. Maybe it's just this simple. I'm finished wringing my hands. I hope everyone else is too! And now...I need to go fix some sprinkler heads and mow the lawn....just as I did when I was at GU on work study. Funny how things stay the same;)

Never said it ws Kong's fault alone. Just a bad pick. He was ok on the court but not off the court. PLUS, he had some real "COURT" issues as well. AHEM!

He'll be better somewhere else. About time we wrap this thread up...pounding this and pounding this is tiresome....and leads nowhere.

CB4
07-25-2010, 03:54 PM
Bol could have been great. He didn't want it. Plus there was a number of off court issues with him (remember he was suspended at the start of the season). The Zags are better off without him. However, I wish him the best.

On another note, all of these transfers really look bad on the coaching staff. I'm not saying it was their fault at all... some guys just weren't talented enough to crack the line up and will do much better else where. But a recruit looking at the program doesn't necessarily get all the details and just sees it as a black and white issue. Why did all these guys leave? Coaches? School? etc.

TexasZagFan
07-26-2010, 06:40 AM

Looking back on it 30+ years later, I'm still trying to figure out how I graduated from GU in 4 years. Unless it's gotten a lot easier in Zagland, which I doubt, an average class is going to demand two hours outside of class for every hour inside. Add the demands of Zags hoops, and you have a very busy schedule without much time for simply being a kid.

I wish Bol the best and hope his memories of his time here are fond.