PDA

View Full Version : Mid-Summer Reports

jscrk
07-15-2010, 07:11 AM
Bob:

As we approach the mid-point of summer vacation, are there any reports on how the players are developing over the summer? Is Rob still working out with Casey. Is Meech's shot improving. Are any of the new players on campus; if so, how are they doing.

Also, if you had to make a prediction at this time, who do you think will receive more playing time during the upcoming season: Sam or Kelly.

thanks,

BobZag
07-15-2010, 09:30 AM
Big Rob has been working his butt off, be it against Casey or with the Canadian Men's National Team. I think we'll see another notable improvement in his game.

Haven't heard anything on the others, so I'll ask when this recruiting period ends and everyone returns to their offices.

There will be a subtraction. Tune in tomorrow.

2wiceright
07-15-2010, 09:47 AM
Bob, I have a feeling you can't tell us this, but a hint will do: Is the subtraction from the returning "core" players or one of the new players recruited or being recruited... (i.e. a verbal recruit changing his mind/circumstances/ etc.)? Enquiring minds want to know :)

gozagswoohoo
07-15-2010, 09:48 AM
Big Rob has been working his butt off, be it against Casey or with the Canadian Men's National Team. I think we'll see another notable improvement in his game.

Haven't heard anything on the others, so I'll ask when this recruiting period ends and everyone returns to their offices.

:explode:

gozagswoohoo
07-15-2010, 09:51 AM
I have an idea Bob, since you can't tell us the players name, maybe we will just pass the time with a game I call:

CODE GAME OF DESTINY

I will go first.

Henry likes to fish.
Even little fish make him happy.
Lisa likes to throw rocks at the supermarket.
Larry enjoys taking pictures with his polaroid camera.
Ostrichs don't envy penguins, because they cannot fly either.

Do you get how the game works Bob? Why don't you take a turn! Anything you'd like to tell us NOW....?

2wiceright
07-15-2010, 09:53 AM
:explode:

I know I had that coming woohoo, but I just couldn't help myself...:mecry: :mecry:

Jakester425
07-15-2010, 09:53 AM

Its gotta be Mathis Keita, right?

former1dog
07-15-2010, 09:55 AM
Who ever the subtraction is, its dissapointing to hear that we'll be losing someone. :(

Keita is not on the roster, BTW, and Carter and Hyland are according to the Gozags site. I don't think that means anything, though.

realtydog
07-15-2010, 10:23 AM
Can we at least know if it is "significant"

RenoZag
07-15-2010, 10:31 AM
Significance will be a subject of discussion once an official announcement is made.

As Bob sez: "Stay Tuned."

Kiddwell
07-15-2010, 10:39 AM
A coach, per chance?

:[

former1dog
07-15-2010, 11:13 AM
A coach, per chance?

:[

Let's get a proper unsupported and unsubstantiated (even ridiculous) rumor rolling.

Is it Coach Few!?!?!?!

(This post is for my personal entertainment value only. It is not a smarmy retort to Kiddwell nor does it have any basis in reality whatsoever. Mwaaa Ha ha ha!!)

Snagglezag
07-15-2010, 11:40 AM
Rumor circulating...From what I am hearing, it could be Kong.

Again, this is a complete rumor going around campus. Hoping it's not true.

(208)Zag
07-15-2010, 11:45 AM

I've been hearing the same rumor, but am hoping it's nothing more than conjecture. Pretty big loss if it is true. I guess we'll know soon enough.

cbbfanatic
07-15-2010, 11:47 AM
Anyone else concerned with the high turnover within the "family?"

I know the company line reads "this happens at all competitive programs," but at the extent its happening here, that just isn't true - esp because GU is a program that seems to sell itself on the tight knit "family" atmosphere...

sittingon50
07-15-2010, 11:47 AM
have offered Steven the lead in their newest TV pilot. He's off to Hollywood.

former1dog
07-15-2010, 11:48 AM
have offered Steven the lead in their newest TV pilot. He's off to Hollywood.

this. :(

gozagswoohoo
07-15-2010, 11:54 AM

For the love of all that is holy....please be a rumor.

mnzag24
07-15-2010, 11:57 AM
For the love of all that is holy....please be a rumor.

ive heard the same rumor. i keep hoping its not true but now...

former1dog
07-15-2010, 11:57 AM

I know the company line reads "this happens at all competitive programs," but at the extent its happening here, that just isn't true - esp because GU is a program that seems to sell itself on the tight knit "family" atmosphere...

No. Not even a little bit. Just because a few players leave because they want to go get some playing time is not an indictment of the atmosphere that has been created by the coaching staff and players. By all accounts, it truly is a close knit, familial environment.

If you're an alum, you are likely familiar with the family feel of Gonzaga from your days there. The Men's BBall team is a microcosm of this, IMHO. See this thread to get some examples:

http://www.guboards.com/showthread.php?t=29521

Drew
07-15-2010, 12:46 PM

My first guess would have been Monninghoff, given we never heard anything about his SATs that were expected 6/28.

Bol only had 3 years of eligibility when he got here, so hard to imagine him leaving voluntarily. He may have applied to get exemption on the 4 in 5 years rule. He did have an unusual case. Otherwise, where would he go? Div II? Europe? My guess is his best move would be to stay at GU.

My understanding of Keita is we recruited an extremely athletic guy on expectation, which may make him a red shirt candidate. He may not like this. He might have also read the negative coments this board. In any case, I expect his best move is to go to GU.

mnzag24
07-15-2010, 12:52 PM

you're assuming that it was the player's decision to leave. we don't know what the deal is yet. speculation is stressful, and we'll know soon enough. this really $ucks.

cbbfanatic
07-15-2010, 01:17 PM
you're assuming that it was the player's decision to leave. we don't know what the deal is yet. speculation is stressful, and we'll know soon enough. this really $ucks.

i was referring more to a general trend over the last 5-8(?) years where it seems like the avg # of premature (non nba) departures per year is around or over 1.

some of it may be recruiting mistakes, kids not cutting it in the classroom, kids not getting better and wanting more time (which could be construed as a recruiting mistake also), or whatever other reason there may be... im sure each one individually is totally explainable, but the raw # over the recent past (and consistent, steady nature of the departures) is a little concerning to me. id prefer more roster stability/predictability from year to year

madness
07-15-2010, 01:34 PM
Kong was the first guy I thought of as well. Losing a top 8 rotation guy would be tough, but we still don't really know what we have in the new guys and Arop's foot. Lots of question marks in July.

Reborn
07-15-2010, 01:57 PM
I have believed all along that Kong could be leaving because I didn't think that he'd be playing much next year. It's anyone guess, but it's fun trying to play the guessing game, and especially to see what you all think. Kong just seemed lost last year. Kong still has two years left to play so why waste one sitting on the bench, I think Few had trouble with Kong from the very beginning. If it is Kong I think it's a good indication that Hyland is someone that's going to be seeing some playin time. He could be someone special.

BroncoZAG615
07-15-2010, 02:05 PM
I've heard that Kyle Dranginis has opted to go to Boise State and play for Leon Rice. I know this from a very credible source at my local McDonald's. He reads Rivals.com

ellenvega
07-15-2010, 04:07 PM
He might have also read the negative coments this board

Oh come on! What player is going to leave because of a negative comment on a fan message board? Nothing on this board has been truly nasty.

Will he also give up hoops the first time the team goes on the road and he hears a nasty remark from the opposing fans?

I hope it's not Kong, either. :(

The509sfinest
07-15-2010, 04:12 PM

Oh come on! What player is going to leave because of a negative comment on a fan message board? Nothing on this board has been truly nasty.

Will he also give up hoops the first time the team goes on the road and he hears a nasty remark from the opposing fans?

I hope it's not Kong, either. :(

heres ur answer: http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/11776517

ZagNative
07-15-2010, 04:15 PM

I hope it's not Kong, either. :(LIZF, looks like you're wasting your time with the stickied thread ("Must Read For All Who Post") (http://www.guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?p=432694#post432694) about Vander Blue decommitting from Wisconsin because of fans on a message board ripping on him ...

In any case, no indication Keita decommitted ...

sittingon50
07-15-2010, 04:21 PM
So how old is Biggs McGee these days?

ellenvega
07-15-2010, 04:22 PM

Nevtelen
07-15-2010, 04:28 PM
i was referring more to a general trend over the last 5-8(?) years where it seems like the avg # of premature (non nba) departures per year is around or over 1.

some of it may be recruiting mistakes, kids not cutting it in the classroom, kids not getting better and wanting more time (which could be construed as a recruiting mistake also), or whatever other reason there may be... im sure each one individually is totally explainable, but the raw # over the recent past (and consistent, steady nature of the departures) is a little concerning to me. id prefer more roster stability/predictability from year to year

I think the turn-over at GU over the last several years has been very normal for any high-level bball program. This year was a bit more than expected with Gibbs and Vilarino, but I think that is more indicative of recruiting mistakes (where the heck was Vilarino ever going to fit in with such a guard-heavy roster? Who didn't see that coming?) than of any internal issues.

BobZag
07-15-2010, 04:44 PM
Could be Manny's foot has discouraged him to the point that he just up and left. Or Carter decided to go to Oklahoma, after all. The possibilities are endless! :)

ZagNative
07-15-2010, 05:28 PM
Could be Manny's foot has discouraged him to the point that he just up and left. Or Carter decided to go to Oklahoma, after all. The possibilities are endless! :)http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Junk/Emoticons/stirthepot.gif

RenoZag
07-15-2010, 05:44 PM
Losing a top 8 rotation guy would be tough, but we still don't really know what we have . . .

. . .which includes not knowing who the top 8 rotation guys are. . .new season, new players, etc.

Rangerzag
07-15-2010, 05:51 PM
Could be Manny's foot has discouraged him to the point that he just up and left. Or Carter decided to go to Oklahoma, after all. The possibilities are endless! :)

It must be midnight (tomorrow) somewhere. Come on, spill the beans (doom) ;)

1973Zag
07-15-2010, 06:04 PM
Rather than recruiting mistakes--could our ability to recruit better athletes be making our previous 'best choices' look like mistakes. To me, this seems to go back to Zack G.,Villipigue(sp), Mallon,etc.,etc. As recruits, they were the best we could get--as they progressed,their playing time decreased. Did they get worse? Don't think so. I would call it talent level increase--not a chemistry problem, but a sign of an improving program. JMO

MickMick
07-15-2010, 06:27 PM
I would hate to see any of the remaining players leave. Any of them.

Of players that have left in the past, I had the most difficult time letting go of Larry G. and PMac. I thought the Zags were collectively weakened at their departure. For me, losing any current player would be much worse.

I could live with, justify, rationalize.....understand why others have left before. But I would think of it is a bad, bad loss to lose any current players.

I really hope it doesn't happen. I think it sets the Zags back if it does.

MDABE80
07-15-2010, 07:38 PM
Nope...not Mangisto!

Drew
07-15-2010, 07:52 PM
Any chance Jerry Krause is retiring? Of course, I expect him to have some role with GU whenever he retires, so not sure if the word "subtraction" would apply.

realtydog
07-15-2010, 09:25 PM
no grades...that's it...done

cbbfanatic
07-16-2010, 05:47 AM
no grades...that's it...done

This bomb is dropped yesterday at 1030 without a single response yet???

If true, the kong thing was quite the saga, from being a victim of the system, to the next MJ and final four talk, to potential dropout... Yikes

jazzdelmar
07-16-2010, 05:55 AM
too bad on a number of fronts...all that drama and hard work getting him, whatever efforts he put forth, and most of all that hardly anyone seems to care now......

cjm720
07-16-2010, 06:25 AM
I'd prefer to not jump to conclusions and wait for something specific. If it's Kong, too bad but we've definitely have the roster to absorb what he mainly provided.

ronh_pm
07-16-2010, 06:34 AM
Odd that Bol just recently changed his Facebook home town to Spokane. Maybe he found a job and has decided to settle down in the area.

former1dog
07-16-2010, 06:36 AM
This bomb is dropped yesterday at 1030 without a single response yet???

If true, the kong thing was quite the saga, from being a victim of the system, to the next MJ and final four talk, to potential dropout... Yikes

All due respect to RealtyDog, but who is RealtyDog?

I know several of our admin/moderator types and I know of their connections etcetera, so if one of them posts something specific on the board, I'll take that to the bank. Until then, I'm not going to get worked up over something RealtyDog has posted because frankly I have no idea who RealtyDog is. Do you?

1973Zag
07-16-2010, 06:38 AM
Agree CJ--lets see something official before we react

BroncoZAG615
07-16-2010, 06:48 AM
All due respect to RealtyDog, but who is RealtyDog?

I know several of our admin/moderator types and I know of their connections etcetera, so if one of them posts something specific on the board, I'll take that to the bank. Until then, I'm not going to get worked up over something RealtyDog has posted because frankly I have no idea who RealtyDog is. Do you?

I'm guessing he's A) The realtor that found Bol a house in the Spokane area after he got a job and decided to settle down here or B) He meant for his name to be RealityDog and did not spell check before hitting enter.

Either way, with posts after 10 PM, it could be as much Jack, Jim, or Jose speaking as it is Realty(Reality)Dog.

izzjess
07-16-2010, 06:52 AM
somebody removed my message...... thats a first.... oh well.... beware what you say it may be removed.

WeSayZed
07-16-2010, 07:31 AM
Odd that Bol just recently changed his Facebook home town to Spokane. Maybe he found a job and has decided to settle down in the area.
Heís not an American citizen and heíll be down there on a student visa. I don't think he can work there unless heís a full time student. Thatís the way it works in Canada anyway.

WeSayZed
07-16-2010, 07:35 AM
When all the talk was going on about finding shooters a couple of months ago I wondered if it perhaps Kong wasnít coming back for some reason, and it crossed my mind that it might be because of his grades.

izzjess
07-16-2010, 07:57 AM
well i had said that i thought it might be meech.. with all the new point guards coming in...but when i got on this morning my message was taken down....what ever happend to my free meech??? i mean speech...

23dpg
07-16-2010, 09:36 AM
well i had said that i thought it might be meech.. with all the new point guards coming in...but when i got on this morning my message was taken down....what ever happend to my free meech??? i mean speech...

Free speech does not apply to message boards. Free speech applies to your rights within the gov't.

As I recall, you didn't say you thought it might be Meech. You said, "Its Meech" or something close to that.

gozagswoohoo
07-16-2010, 09:38 AM
Free speech does not apply to message boards. Free speech applies to your rights within the gov't.

As I recall, you didn't say you thought it might be Meech. You said, "Its Meech" or something close to that.

Right. This was the reason it was taken down. You were likely joking, but if nobody can tell you're joking.....it can just cause panic.

JPtheBeasta
07-16-2010, 09:42 AM
I'm guessing he's A) The realtor that found Bol a house in the Spokane area after he got a job and decided to settle down here or B) He meant for his name to be RealityDog and did not spell check before hitting enter.

Either way, with posts after 10 PM, it could be as much Jack, Jim, or Jose speaking as it is Realty(Reality)Dog.

Thanks for the realty check.

realtydog
07-16-2010, 09:50 AM
The reason I said Kong--- was because that's what came out of a former zags mouth around 9:30pm yesterday----the former zag once broke a back board---the no grades thing ---were his words not mine

sanders
07-16-2010, 10:29 AM

So someone saying "its Kong" is o.k., but someone saying "its Meech" is not?

Should we be reading something into that?

gozagswoohoo
07-16-2010, 10:34 AM
So someone saying "its Kong" is o.k., but someone saying "its Meech" is not?

Should we be reading something into that?

Again, the difference is how it was said. There have been dozens of responses in this thread stating that it is probably Kong because of reason x, or they could understand it being Keita for reason xy.

The "It's Meech" was just posted in a way that I'm sure whatever MOD deleted it could see it was just going nowhere, and would only cause an uproar. Meech has enough people destroying him on this board as it is.

I ALMOST deleted it when I saw it, and agree with whatever mod chose to do so.

And lastly, like I said, it's the WAY it was posted. I imagine the post would have been left alone if it had a couple extra words in it like "I could see it being Meech because of the addition of so many gaurds".

theman.themyth.thelegend
07-16-2010, 10:34 AM
In short;

Kong is gone.

Just rec details last night.

A somber day for GU hoops. :(

Bol had so much promise as a Zag. A player just hitting his stride and finding himself at this level; in essence, a 1st yr player whom performed admirably ON the court for GU. Best of luck to him and his future endeavors.

Again, regrettable news. . .

Jakester425
07-16-2010, 10:56 AM
In short;

Kong is gone.

Bol had so much promise as a Zag. A player just hitting his stride and finding himself at this level; in essence, a 1st yr player whom performed admirably ON the court for GU. Best of luck to him and his future endeavors.

Wow...my friday is ruined :(

john montana
07-16-2010, 11:00 AM
Bummer.

The509sfinest
07-16-2010, 11:30 AM
In short;

Kong is gone.

NOOOO!!!! I wont beleive it till i see an official report with a link or something!!!!! Kong was my favirote zag!!!!!!!! And whats even worse if this is true im assuming hes not gonna play anywhere else!!!! Im sorry i dont beleive it!!! :(
BOL KONG+Not playin basketball=Worst day of my whole life of liking basketball.
soooo much potential could of made it to the NBA

madness
07-16-2010, 11:43 AM
Bummer.

This is a major bummer if true. I saw a lot of promise in Bol's game, and he was getting much better defensively towards the end of the season. More time and pressure for Manny, but I think he can handle it. Arop is probably my unsung hero of the 2010-11 season already.

maineblackbear
07-16-2010, 11:54 AM
our depth, which was a serious problem last year, and became a huge liability when Arop got hurt, is likely to be just as serious a problem this year. Sure we can name the starting four (returners) add Arop to the list as #5, but what then? If two of the newcomers can play serious minutes right away that would be two more than I am kind of expecting. Monninghoff as six, if he is as good as everyone says, Sam Dower for sure will get many minutes . . . So, I am at seven. Carter? maybe . . . it would be quite a leap were he to seriously contribute early next season.
The rest are question marks-- (actually so are six through eight-- I am willing to drink the Dower kool-aid because I have heard credible reports that he was rocking the rim in practice and in scrimmages-- Monninghoff sounds like a real steal (if he shows) and am willing to sip at that cup of kool-aid. But the rest, even the returning bench players seem to have potential for future years. But this year? concern growing-- and I had heard that Few believed that this was going to be THE year . . . wonder what he thinks now . . .

ellenvega
07-16-2010, 11:56 AM
I wouldn't count on any player coming off a major injury.

Too bad for Kong, if true.

Ekrub
07-16-2010, 12:26 PM
our depth, which was a serious problem last year, and became a huge liability when Arop got hurt, is likely to be just as serious a problem this year. Sure we can name the starting four (returners) add Arop to the list as #5, but what then? If two of the newcomers can play serious minutes right away that would be two more than I am kind of expecting. Monninghoff as six, if he is as good as everyone says, Sam Dower for sure will get many minutes . . . So, I am at seven. Carter? maybe . . . it would be quite a leap were he to seriously contribute early next season.
The rest are question marks-- (actually so are six through eight-- I am willing to drink the Dower kool-aid because I have heard credible reports that he was rocking the rim in practice and in scrimmages-- Monninghoff sounds like a real steal (if he shows) and am willing to sip at that cup of kool-aid. But the rest, even the returning bench players seem to have potential for future years. But this year? concern growing-- and I had heard that Few believed that this was going to be THE year . . . wonder what he thinks now . . .

KO isn't a question mark in my mind. I wasn't impressed early in the year but about midseason he showed that he could come in and reliably contribute and hustled. I can tell that he played a roll last year (reliable,consistent, hustler), but im expecting big things out of him this year. (being riskier, more shots)

maineblackbear
07-16-2010, 12:41 PM
re: KO

thats fair-- i probably unkindly lumped him in with the rest . . . i could see a frosh to soph jump that could make him an every game impact player--there were some serious flashes of talent. All right, I will calm down a little. mbb

VinnyZag
07-16-2010, 12:47 PM
Carter? maybe . . . it would be quite a leap were he to seriously contribute early next season.

If Carter, a JC transfer, isn't ready to contribute next year then I don't know why they recruited him.

810Suited
07-16-2010, 12:47 PM
it should put some of you at ease who have been freakin about the scholarship situation next year.
totally sucks tho, is he going to transfer? or go try to play professionally somewhere else? jc?

d2zag
07-16-2010, 12:58 PM

maineblackbear, eh? You get to see Keegan at all? In my mind, Keegan would have been higher on the rotation than Bol this season. The guy hits 3's all day, and has a lightning quick release. Bol is decent at 3's, but probably has the slowest release I've ever seen. Once teams figured him out, he was done. I think a lot of our depth issues depends on if Elias plays the 3. If he doesn't, then yes, I would agree it would be nice to still have Bol. If he does though, I think we'll be all right.

former1dog
07-16-2010, 01:03 PM
maineblackbear, eh? You get to see Keegan at all? In my mind, Keegan would have been higher on the rotation than Bol this season. The guy hits 3's all day, and has a lightning quick release. Bol is decent at 3's, but probably has the slowest release I've ever seen. Once teams figured him out, he was done. I think a lot of our depth issues depends on if Elias plays the 3. If he doesn't, then yes, I would agree it would be nice to still have Bol. If he does though, I think we'll be all right.

Two things -

1 - No official word on any player/coach being off the team yet, so lets not write the Bol Kong GU Basketball obituary.

2 - Lets not get into the false issue of disparaging Bol Kong's game. Last year, he was a 3 point specialist because (a) he was shooting well and (b) it was the niche he fit on last years team. Bol WAS NOT recruited as a 3 point specialist, but rather as a versatile scorer. He had troubles, like many have had, adjusting to both the speed of the D1 game and to the Gonzaga offense. Did he live up to the hype in his first season? Of course not, but very few EVER do. I thought he shows signs of progress towards the end of the season and apparently so did the coaching staff and is seems he was part of the regular rotation. I truly think Bol Kong is a gifted basketball player. Nuff said.

Jedster
07-16-2010, 01:12 PM
In short;

Kong is gone.

Reason he is leaving if this is the case?

Russell Bevan
07-16-2010, 01:19 PM
I can confirm that Bol is leaving Gonzaga University. Part of being a Zag is going to class. Bol wasn't big on going to class.

former1dog
07-16-2010, 01:22 PM
Thanks for the confirmation Rusell.

I'm sorry to see Bol Kong leave Gonzaga University. Beyond the basketball court, Gonzaga could have made a major positive and lasting impact on his life. I'm sorry to hear that he was seemingly not interested in meeting his academic responsibilities.

I truly wish him well. Down the road, if I hear of Bol excelling on the basketball court collegiately or professionally, it will not be a surprise in the least to me.

Good luck, Bol.

d2zag
07-16-2010, 02:01 PM
Two things -

1 - No official word on any player/coach being off the team yet, so lets not write the Bol Kong GU Basketball obituary.

2 - Lets not get into the false issue of disparaging Bol Kong's game. Last year, he was a 3 point specialist because (a) he was shooting well and (b) it was the niche he fit on last years team. Bol WAS NOT recruited as a 3 point specialist, but rather as a versatile scorer. He had troubles, like many have had, adjusting to both the speed of the D1 game and to the Gonzaga offense. Did he live up to the hype in his first season? Of course not, but very few EVER do. I thought he shows signs of progress towards the end of the season and apparently so did the coaching staff and is seems he was part of the regular rotation. I truly think Bol Kong is a gifted basketball player. Nuff said.

I think you got me all wrong. I'm not saying Bol is a bad basketball player. I'm saying he's good, but has a really, really slow release on his shot. I also didn't mention his defensive mistakes last season. Now does that make him a bad basketball player? No way. For the record, I think he was showing progress towards the end of the year. He will be dearly missed, but him leaving (I think it's safe to say that now) will not affect depth as much as some think it will.

former1dog
07-16-2010, 02:03 PM
I think you got me all wrong. I'm not saying Bol is a bad basketball player. I'm saying he's good, but has a really, really slow release on his shot. I also didn't mention his defensive mistakes last season. Now does that make him a bad basketball player? No way. For the record, I think he was showing progress towards the end of the year. He will be dearly missed, but him leaving (I think it's safe to say that now) will not affect depth as much as some think it will.

I'll respectfully disagree and leave it at that.

I'm glad you'll miss Bol, though, with the rest of us.

vandalzag
07-16-2010, 04:35 PM
Right. This was the reason it was taken down. You were likely joking, but if nobody can tell you're joking.....it can just cause panic.

Whatever you do DO Not yell Meech in a crowded theatre!!!

RenoZag
07-16-2010, 04:51 PM
Part of being a Zag is going to class. Bol wasn't big on going to class.

College kids drop out / flunk out every semester. This one happened to be a Gonzaga basketball player. If he wasn't big on going to class then he wasn't big on being a Zag.

So it goes.

MickMick
07-16-2010, 05:29 PM
Now might be the right time to talk about the wing position.

I'm still not a big fan of putting Harris at wing, but Few just may have to do it at times out of necessity.

I hear rumor that Monninghoff might be 2011. Someone clear this up for me please. If he is 2010 and is as talented as credible posters like BroncoZag/xtf suggest, than he just may be the immediate substitute for Arop right off the bat. (I'm assuming that Manny is the consensus starting small forward heading into the season....correct me if I'm wrong).

My darkhorse is Kietas. Sure he is smallish for a wing, but he looked capable of playing the position from the video I saw. Isn't he 6'5" or so? Roughly Manny's height? Not really too short to play the position and looks to be more of a slasher than a perimeter player from the videos I viewed.

Depending on how quickly Kietas picks up the system and if Monninghoff is indeed coming in 2011, I would not be shocked to see Kietas become the guy that takes the fore mentioned role (Bol's role).

john montana
07-16-2010, 07:05 PM
Posting from a cell phone, hence my simple "bummer" comment. I am legitimately bummed out. This is a definate blow to the upcoming season.

Reborn
07-16-2010, 07:47 PM
I really don't quite get all the panic, if it is true that Kong is gone. I don't know that he is, but if he is, why the panic? I do NOT see what he did for the Zags down the stretch last year, and I personally believe he didn't provide the kind of shooting from the outside, the kind of passing, nor the D that the Zags needed. I've watched the last 3 games a number of times, and Kong was ineffective in them all. And we needed him without Arop.

Few was NOT pleased with the outside shooting of last years team. Nor should he have been, and he specifically went out to get some sharpshooters who will hopefully be able to play the game better than Kong did. I obviously see Kong's talent level much differently than many of you do. I think Kong may be able to fit in some place very well at a Div 1 school. I just don't think it's with GU.

I am not surprised if it is, as I have said I felt all along he would be the next to go. Few is going up to another level, and Kong's talent just does not fit the need. Few has got the vision that counts, and after him his staff. My guess is that they didn't see kong in the picture for next year.

There is plenty of talent on next years team, believe me. You guys have really overlooked the talent on this team. Olynyk will play a huge role next year, and he's going to be a ton better. Malestine can believe what he wants to believe. Not only will Olynyk be very good, I think Sam Dower is going to be a very good player, and most likely Harris is going to be playing the 3, as I see it now. Maybe he and Olynyk. The Zags haven't even come close to tapping into the talent of Arop. His injury will be completely healed by next year, and it should be by now I think. Few doesn't like to play more than 8 guys in his system. I see these 8 guys as pretty good players.

Harris = 2nd team all american
Gray = possibly honorable mention all american
Sacre = same as Gray
Meech = a veteran point guard
Carter = a junior point guard with experience
Arop = Coming into a break out season...May be a starter if it's not Harris.
OlynyK= Same as Arop, but possibly even better. He could be a starter at the 4 or the 3.
Sam Dower = red shirt Freshman whom many believe is oozing with talkent.

Now you tell me where Kong fits in with this rotation of 8 guys.

I think that in the end it came down to Dower vs Kong. And it's going to be Dower. Not that Dower and Kong play the same position. There are so many minutes in a game for the players to use up. The players compete for minutes now days as much as they compete for anything else. I'm talking mostly about the 4th player through the 8th. I believe that Arop and Olynyk had already established themselves last year as players that Few had above Kong in the rotation. So in the end it came down to Dower vs Kong.

No we still have room for a couple new guys who will challenge the others. e don't know about any of them really. But Few does. In fact Few may have someone in mind right now for that scholarship for next year. Or he may want it for the Wiltjer, Pangos deal that is pending.

We must remember that Kong is only a junior with two years left to play. Few is bringing in some guys next year that may start as Freshmen, and Few will need some space. I'm so excited about this news.

If, in fact, Kong is moving on I want to wish him the best, He does have some skill. I just don't think Gu is the right fit. I hope to read many good things about him in the future.

Go Zags!!!!!!!

RenoZag
07-16-2010, 07:53 PM
http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/sportslink/2010/jul/16/kong-leaving-gonzaga/#more

Athletic director Mike Roth confirmed the 6-foot-6 Kong has left the program. Roth wasn’t sure of Kong’s plans, but it was his understanding that Kong had returned to Canada. At this point, Kong hasn’t asked for a release to U.S. schools, which indicates he’ll likely play in Canada.

So, in fact, he is moving on...

WeSayZed
07-16-2010, 09:05 PM
I really don't quite get all the panic, if it is true that Kong is gone. I don't know that he is, but if he is, why the panic? I do NOT see what he did for the Zags down the stretch last year, and I personally believe he didn't provide the kind of shooting from the outside, the kind of passing, nor the D that the Zags needed. I've watched the last 3 games a number of times, and Kong was ineffective in them all. And we needed him without Arop.

Few was NOT pleased with the outside shooting of last years team. ...
If this is about grades then Iím thinking that Few knew at the end of last year that Kong likely wouldnít be back, and that it probably wasnít so much a case of him being unhappy with our 3pt shooting as it was about him knowing that he was going to have to replace a player who he had hoped would be a key 3pt shooter for us this year. Kong shot .421 on his 3s in his first year at Gonzaga, after all. It never quite fit for me that Few was unhappy with that, and I think this puts the pieces of that puzzle together. I think he was recruiting 3pt shooters because he knew that Kong likely wasnít coming back.

Reborn
07-17-2010, 06:25 AM
If this is about grades then Iím thinking that Few knew at the end of last year that Kong likely wouldnít be back, and that it probably wasnít so much a case of him being unhappy with our 3pt shooting as it was about him knowing that he was going to have to replace a player who he had hoped would be a key 3pt shooter for us this year. Kong shot .421 on his 3s in his first year at Gonzaga, after all. It never quite fit for me that Few was unhappy with that, and I think this puts the pieces of that puzzle together. I think he was recruiting 3pt shooters because he knew that Kong likely wasnít coming back.

Thanks for your analysis. I apprediate it. I thought Kong was going to be a special player at the beginning to the year. He was shooting lights out at the beginning of the season. But, like I said, as we approached the end of the season, and lost Arop, we needed Kong to step up big. He didn't. He wouldn't even shoot the ball in the NCAA tournament. I enjoyed CDC's analysis on the other thread where he talked about burnout. That made sense.

GUDan07
07-17-2010, 10:17 AM
I really don't quite get all the panic, if it is true that Kong is gone. ...
Now you tell me where Kong fits in with this rotation of 8 guys.

I completely agree with basically everything you said here Reborn. I don't get why everyone is so up in arms about the departure of a guy that really didn't bring that much in terms of production and was likely to see a decline in minutes due to the emergence of other players.

HillBillyZag
07-18-2010, 12:20 PM
With all of the hoopla during his recruitment it appeared that a lot of us thought Bol would pick up the program on his back and carry us to the "promised Land"? When that did'nt materialize , things sort of deteriorated. I wish Bol the best and hope he can find a situation that will lead to his success in life and on the court !