PDA

View Full Version : -Greatest "zags" memory you have, that you witnessed IN PERSON-

gozagswoohoo
07-13-2010, 08:06 AM
What is the most memorable experience you've ever had that deals with Gonzaga?

Something you saw IN PERSON.

I'll post mine in a little bit....though I'm sure a few of you already have an idea as to what mine is, haha.

ezcure17
07-13-2010, 08:26 AM
My wife and I have seen the Zags play in...Hawaii..Seattle..Las Vegas...but unfortunately NEVER in Spokane...yet!!!

So...I would say seeing the Zags win in Hawaii at the Maui Invitational last year...down 16 to Colorado....beating Wisconsin...and in a backyard brawl with Cincinnati in OT to win the title...We were down in front for the games...and after each win...we stood and high fived the team as they left the floor...each win was more exciting then the day before..

LongIslandZagFan
07-13-2010, 08:36 AM
What is the most memorable experience you've ever had that deals with Gonzaga?

Something you saw IN PERSON.

I'll post mine in a little bit....though I'm sure a few of you already have an idea as to what mine is, haha.

Josh turning Tyler Hansborough into a whimpering little school girl while the Zags ran the Tar Heels off the floor. It was enhanced by the fact that I was able to get a luxury box at MSG for free.... that night totally rocked.

zagfan24
07-13-2010, 08:40 AM
1) Zags crushing UW in their last game (to this point) in the Kennel
2) College Gameday comes to GU complete with win over Stanford
3) Zags OT win over Illinois in United Center, surrounded by screaming Illini fans

/Will forever regret not going to Battle in Seattle when Ammo hit "the shot"

former1dog
07-13-2010, 08:44 AM
1 - Watching Gonzaga play Hank Gathers and Bo Kimble and LMU in the old Kennel. It was an event and even though we lost, it was truly exciting. Jim McPhee had 40+ in the game. Although I'm sure I attended games prior to that, it seemed like my first real college basketball experience that has obviously left a lasting impression.
2a - College Gameday vs. Stanford in the new kennel (Thanks again GoZags!)
2b - Watching my buddy and childhood friend Felix McGowan come off the bench to help Gonzaga beat St. Mary's, must have been 91 or 92. I think he made the bucket to send it into overtime and then had the hot hand and Fitz spread the court and let him go to work playground style.
3 - Giving Father Tony a ride to the airport in my (very) beat up and messy old truck after one of the WCC tourney games at Santa Clara. :D

stevet75
07-13-2010, 08:51 AM
I've only seen a couple of games in person, in the last twenty years, but I used to see a lot when I lived in Spokane. However, one of the best games I have ever seen , was when I was on a business trip to Seattle, in I think, 1982. The Zags with John Stockton were playing the Huskies, and actually lost a very low scoring game by one point. Husky fans had a thousand reasons why the mighty Huskies only beat the lowly Zags by one point, but the real reason was John Stockton.
I read on this board, sometimes, how John was a great pro who was only a very good college player, but I'm here to tell you that John Stockton was something else everytime I saw him play. If he had played at UCLA he would have been a top five draft pick.
Anyway, hearing Huskies making excuses for a game they expected to win by 30 always makes me feel good.

gozagswoohoo
07-13-2010, 08:52 AM
1 - Watching Gonzaga play Hank Gathers and Bo Kimble and LMU in the old Kennel.
2a - College Gameday vs. Stanford in the new kennel (Thanks again GoZags!)
2b - Watching my buddy and childhood friend Felix McGowan come off the bench to help Gonzaga beat St. Mary's, must have been 91 or 92. I think he made the bucket to send it into overtime and then had the hot hand and Fitz spread the court and let him go to work playground style.
3 - Giving Father Tony a ride to the airport in my (very) beat up and messy old truck after one of the WCC tourney games at Santa Clara. :D

Oh wow

gozagswoohoo
07-13-2010, 08:58 AM
I have two, my greatest zags memory (and it's not a very old one!) is and I can promise WILL ALWAYS be:

My "Woohoo at GU" trip. The things I saw and experienced on this trip is beyond words. I always think back on how lucky I was to get to do what I did, and meet all the incredible GU fans I got to meet. (I feel like I've said this all before) :-) Well, get used to it! I'll never stop talking about it.

Second, was the moment Elias Harris hit his patented "German step into the lane" shot in Illinois to put the zags in the lead over Illinois (which we went on to when shortly after) with my dad and brother. What REALLY made it special, was that it was the first game that my dad came with me to see the zags play. Very special.

kitzbuel
07-13-2010, 08:58 AM
Graduation and commissioning.
Search.
Road-tripping to Stateline with Ft Tony.
Beers at the Bulldog with Fr Meehan.
Throwing snowballs through open windows at DeSmet late at night during finals week.
My first cross-country race in which Don Kardong ran.

list could go on.

gozagswoohoo
07-13-2010, 09:12 AM
Graduation and commissioning.
Search.
Road-tripping to Stateline with Ft Tony.
Beers at the Bulldog with Fr Meehan.
Throwing snowballs through open windows at DeSmet late at night during finals week.
My first cross-country race in which Don Kardong ran.

list could go on.

What is search?

former1dog
07-13-2010, 09:21 AM

That is cold hearted and cold. :lmao:

BTW - You're cheating. Although opening up this thread, I think the LMU home game would still be toward the top of my list. It was pretty fun.

PS - Used to run every Sunday morning with Don Kardong my Junior and Senior years. Very nice guy.

a13coach
07-13-2010, 09:39 AM

That is cold hearted and cold. :lmao:

As opposed to all those DeSmet residents pelting their fellow students with whatever (water balloons, snowballs, etc.) from the upper south-end balconies?

Good on you Kitz!

Larryzag
07-13-2010, 09:45 AM
1. Ammo's bank shot in Seattle to beat OSU. Loudest I have ever heard any crowd.

2. The second loudest crowd I was ever a part of was when we ran Brandon Roy & Co out of the gym at K2. I remember the look of total shock on the Huskie's faces when GU out ran them down the court for an easy basket on the Zag's first possession. However, I'll always remember the most exciting play was a breakaway dunk by Nate Robinson. Man he could fly!

Salsageek
07-13-2010, 09:51 AM
What is search?

Who is Fred? ;)

cjm720
07-13-2010, 10:01 AM
Ammo banking in the 3PT shot against OSU at Key Arena

Steve Nash upending our nation-leading home winning streak in the Kennel in 1992/1993 season.

cjm720
07-13-2010, 10:04 AM
What is search?

Search relates to the spirtuality mission of the university.

Search Retreats: The Search program has been at Gonzaga since the late 1960's. Thousands of Gonzaga students, mostly Juniors and Seniors, have "searched" on one of the four programs offered annually at Gonzaga's Bozarth Retreat Center.

http://www.gonzaga.edu/Student-Life/New-Student-Information/New-Student-Orientation/Spirituality1.asp

gozagswoohoo
07-13-2010, 10:08 AM
Search relates to the spirtuality mission of the university.

Search Retreats: The Search program has been at Gonzaga since the late 1960's. Thousands of Gonzaga students, mostly Juniors and Seniors, have "searched" on one of the four programs offered annually at Gonzaga's Bozarth Retreat Center.

http://www.gonzaga.edu/Student-Life/New-Student-Information/New-Student-Orientation/Spirituality1.asp

Very cool. Thanks for the explanation

LongIslandZagFan
07-13-2010, 10:11 AM
What is search?

Was going to reply, got sidetracked and noticed that others filled you in. I'm with Kitz... was one of my fondest moments at GU.

Kitz, did we ever work/attend Search at the same time?

RenoZag
07-13-2010, 10:29 AM
Watching the Zags thump GA Tech @ Vegas in the company of fellow Class of 79 grads

Watched the Zags beat SMC with the same group of grads+ a few more at the 08-09 WCC Tourney Final

Attending the SMC @ GU game in K2 on 3/1/08. . .first & possibly the only time I'll see the team @ home. . .this one gave me chills.

The non-basketball stuff:

Getting married in the Jesuit House chapel with Fr. Costello presiding

Was an RA in DeSmet Senior Year

Working on the GU Bulletin six of 8 semesters.

And the life-long friendships that started in Catherine-Monica, Alliance House, and Roncalli. . .

former1dog
07-13-2010, 10:36 AM
Watching the Zags thump GA Tech @ Vegas in the company of fellow Class of 79 grads

I was at this game also with a good friend and fellow GU Alum of 1992.

mnzag24
07-13-2010, 11:20 AM
Either Morrison hitting "the shot", or my first experience with UW at home my freshmen year in 2004. its a toss up, and i'd re-live either many, many times.

Fonebone
07-13-2010, 11:37 AM
1. Ammo's bank shot in Seattle to beat OSU. Loudest I have ever heard any crowd.

2. The second loudest crowd I was ever a part of was when we ran Brandon Roy & Co out of the gym at K2. I remember the look of total shock on the Huskie's faces when GU out ran them down the court for an easy basket on the Zag's first possession. However, I'll always remember the most exciting play was a breakaway dunk by Nate Robinson. Man he could fly!

I have copied Larry Zags two favorites, because I was going to say the same thing. He is right that after Ammo's shot was the loudest I have ever heard a crowd.

Regarding # 2 - The Husky game - the thing i remember most about that game was just as it ended. I was a big Nate Robinson fan even back then. Our seats are about 10 rows up right behind the visitors bench. I will never forget that at the final buzzer Nate walked balk to the bench, and he actually did look stunned - he kind of just was looking up and arround into the crowd with this look of disbelief. At the time, in spite of being so happy, I actually felt bad for him. Such a great athelete and competitor - I hated to see that look on his face.

kitzbuel
07-13-2010, 11:38 AM
As opposed to all those DeSmet residents pelting their fellow students with whatever (water balloons, snowballs, etc.) from the upper south-end balconies?

Good on you Kitz!

Oh, I did that, too. Especially targeting unsuspecting students going into the Crosby library! I had the south-east corner room on the third floor my soph year.

GoZags
07-13-2010, 11:38 AM
1. Sitting with Jud and Beverly Heathcote and listening to his non-stop crusty commentary as the Zags defeated Maryland and George Washington at the BB and T in Washington, DC (http://www.guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?p=481249)

2. Reed Schifferman's game ending, season ending dunk punctuating an upset win over dreaded Idaho State in March of '75. Hondo (and I) believe Schiff's technical foul for dunking may have been the last one ever called in NCAA hoops -- as that rule was changed the following year.

3. "Shot clock turned off.....Calvary.......Hall........8 to shoot........Hall...the runnerrrr......loose ball .....ITS GOOD!!!!.........4.4 to go............Shannon...'Don't want to foul'............Shannon..from the cornerrrrrrrrrr........AND IT'S OVER!!!!!......GONZAGA!!!, THE SLIPPER STILL FITS!!!.....THEY WIN IT 73-72........HOLY COW!!!!" Gus Johnson/Dan Bonner3/99

4. Any number of Senior Nights over the years -- watching special kids share their moment with parents/siblings/girlfriends ----- saying good bye while the Kennel Club chants "Thank you Seniors" clap clap clap clap clap... "Thank you Seniors" clap clap clap clap clap. Watching the hugs with Fewie, Munse, Fitz, Adrian.
http://myweb.cwpost.liu.edu/bbyrne/gzpics/ken.jpg

Those are but a few of the highlights I've been fortunate enough to enjoy.

kitzbuel
07-13-2010, 11:42 AM
Was going to reply, got sidetracked and noticed that others filled you in. I'm with Kitz... was one of my fondest moments at GU.

Kitz, did we ever work/attend Search at the same time?

Wow, you are going to make me go to the way back machine.

Did Search spring my Jr year (88-89) and then worked a fall search and a spring search my Sr year (89-90), back on both.

kitzbuel
07-13-2010, 11:54 AM
1 - Watching Gonzaga play Hank Gathers and Bo Kimble and LMU in the old Kennel. It was an event and even though we lost, it was truly exciting. Jim McPhee had 40+ in the game. Although I'm sure I attended games prior to that, it seemed like my first real college basketball experience that has obviously left a lasting impression.

That was an awesome game. The Martin Centre was packed, standing room only, call the fire-marshal full.

gozagswoohoo
07-13-2010, 11:58 AM
3. "Shot clock turned off.....Calvary.......Hall........8 to shoot........Hall...the runnerrrr......loose ball .....ITS GOOD!!!!.........4.4 to go............Shannon...'Don't want to foul'............Shannon..from the cornerrrrrrrrrr........AND IT'S OVER!!!!!......GONZAGA!!!, THE SLIPPER STILL FITS!!!.....THEY WIN IT 73-72........HOLY COW!!!!" Gus Johnson/Dan Bonner3/9

Wow, so you KNOW it was special when it gives you chills just READING the text about it! So you were actually THERE for the game??

IdahoTJR
07-13-2010, 12:19 PM
Stockton's freshman year, a ranked USF comes into Kennedy and gets run out of the gym. The place was packed to the rafters

TacomaZAG
07-13-2010, 01:54 PM
The first one: Introducing my wife (a Husky) to the madness that was the old Kennel. We got tickets to the last game in the old Kennel, a typical win over Pepperdine. She was amazed at the small size of the arena and how loud it was. Also, she couldn't believe that the players were walking around before the game (she still comments on how tall Ronny was standing next to her). We went to Jack & Dans before the game and met Jud Heathcote at the alumni pre-game, she had no idea who he was.

The second one: Two years ago at Portland for the first round of the Dance. I met Matt Santangelo on the MAXX on the way home from the first win and ran into him again after Meech's shot to send us to the Sweet 16. A great weekend with my Dad.

Honorable Mention: Ammo's shot against OSU, Key Arena was the loudest ever, and Pendo kept everyone focused for the final few seconds after OSU got the ball back. My Dad was the only person in the arena sitting down as the shot went in, he had given up...............Yes, I still tease him about that.

Fun Tidbit: John Stockton dropping off my Mom's Avon order on his way to the gym during the summer after his first year with the Utah Jazz (his Mom was my Mom's Avon lady).

Too many to recall here.................

Go ZAGS

sittingon50
07-13-2010, 02:06 PM
Each of my 2 oldest graduating.

The beatdown on the huskies (12-1-04). Got my last speeding ticket on the way home that night.

Zagtana
07-13-2010, 02:13 PM
Has to be memories (plural) for me, as that would be, as a student at GU, watching every home game the great Frank Burgess played, plus a couple at Whitworth. What a thrill and honor to see that man in action.

First date with my GU bride to be (married 50 years this Nov.) was at the Coliseum watching Frank and the Bulldogs. We also traveled to Moscow to see GU play Idaho. Zags got clobbered, BUT, His Honor scored enough points that night to win the national scoring title. Have of course witnessed many, many great GU games and players since on TV, we never miss one. And, I'm always amazed at how many GU sweatshirts, hats, etc. I see over here in Montana, including on all my grandkids. Zags are loved far and wide.

ZagNative
07-13-2010, 02:15 PM
Fun Tidbit: John Stockton dropping off my Mom's Avon order on his way to the gym during the summer after his first year with the Utah Jazz (his Mom was my Mom's Avon lady).

Go ZAGSAbsolutely priceless!

sonuvazag
07-13-2010, 02:15 PM
Go ZAGS
:lmao:

ZagKing09
07-13-2010, 02:17 PM
wow... were to begin....

Basketball related:
Camping out for ESPN College Gameday / GU vs Stanford
WCC Tournaments (@ GU and in Vegas)
sitting in the front row of the Kennel Club (many games, but especially for U of I - the first game my freshman year)
Meech's runner @ last years NCAA 2nd game in Portland

Non-Basketball:
Serpentine
SEARCH (but really who is this fred dude ;) ), Montserrat & other retreats
Gonzaga-in-Florence
Around the World
Senior Ball

Bombs over Zaghdad
07-13-2010, 02:22 PM
Meech's runner in portland to take the Zags to the Sweet Sixteen 2 years ago was pretty fun to be apart of. I can still hear that place erupt in my mind.

mgadfly
07-13-2010, 02:30 PM
Josh turning Tyler Hansborough into a whimpering little school girl while the Zags ran the Tar Heels off the floor. It was enhanced by the fact that I was able to get a luxury box at MSG for free.... that night totally rocked.

I didn't get the luxury box, but was in the middle of a sea of UNC fans with my loud mouth wife as Heytvelt dominated from start to finish. It was an awesome Thanksgiving vacation.

Second place was Adam Morrison's buzzer beater at the Battle in Seattle.

ID ZAGFAN
07-13-2010, 02:32 PM
Meech's runner in portland to take the Zags to the Sweet Sixteen 2 years ago was pretty fun to be apart of. I can still hear that place erupt in my mind.

That's mine, too.

ZaGranny

jhoop
07-13-2010, 03:22 PM
Been watching the Boone Avenue lads play since 1957, almost as long as Hondo. Many great memories, but one does stand out for me.

It was Stockton's freshman or sophomore year. The Zags are playing Santa Clara in K1. Zags run their boring "patience" offense and get their rear ends handed to them in the first half, down by 15. I'm told coach Hillock throws a hissy fit in the locker room and tells the boys to do what they want in the second 20 minutes. With the shackles off Stockon gets the ball to open the half and drives to the hole, makes it and gets fouled. He makes the free throw and steals the inbounds pass and makes the bucket. Five points and only three seconds off the clock. The memoy is a little fuzzy and he may have been fouled on the second layin as well, making it 6 points. Regardless, the Broncos' eyes are as big as baseballs and they never recover and the Zags win going away.

I'm walking out of the game with one of my older brothers and he says "something tells me that many years from now we're going to remember Johnny as something more than the little kid who grew up down the block."
They turned out to be the most prophetic words I would ever hear him say.

Martin Centre Mad Man
07-13-2010, 05:01 PM
My best "lived it" Gonzaga basketball memory was the night that John Rillie shot the Zags into the 1995 NCAA Tournament - the first Gonzaga Tournament ever.

To quote GSBA President, Stefan Weitz, "From the Campus, there erupted a scream..." Students rushed from every part of campus into the quad, then to the traffic circle by DeSmet Hall. It was a mid-terms Monday night at near-Midnight, but it seemed like every student on campus dropped whatever they were doing and congregated for a spontaneous bonfire over by the DeSmet traffic circle. Students stormed the library, the AD Building, and study lounges to drag uncooperative bookworms out to join the party that lasted for hours. That amazing, positive energy kept the Gonzaga community on a natural high for days...until Maryland crushed the Zags in a 14-3 seed mismatch a few days later.

Yes, there was a time when a WCC Tournament title could erupt into a spontaneous bonfire on the Gonzaga campus.

zagnut2012
07-13-2010, 06:24 PM
1) Casey Calvary breaking the backboard in the Spokane Arena vs New Mexico.

2) Innaugural game in K2 with Dan Dickau going off.

3) Last year RMH game when "Tiny Gallon" broke the backboard.

I took my wife to both of the "Broken Backboard" games. The only 2 games she has been to.

Zagnut 2012

SteelCityZag
07-13-2010, 06:41 PM
My boys and I were in Phoenix for Casey's tip in. My God, I thought we'd lost it...and imagine if that tip doesn't go in.

That entire week was insanity. Nobody knew who the Zags were, but everyone wanted a piece of us as the team headed into the Elite 8. Everywhere we went people would cheer and shout "Gonzaga! You guys are awesome!" and all sorts of positive, encouraging things. After all the Gonzaga gear had sold out everywhere, I had a guy offer me $100.00 for my worn (and slightly dirty) Gonzaga sweatshirt. The old school gray kind with the baby blue stitched letters.

Everyone was on our side except the teams we were playing, and that was only while we were playing them. Got an email from some very nice UConn fans after they won it all saying that we were the Best team they'd faced all year, and we had great fans too.

Absolutely the best sports week of my life.

Now, everytime I play "The Runner" clip, my two girls (4 and 2) come running to the computer. They have it memorized.

"Shot clock turned off.....Calvary.......Hall........8 to shoot........Hall...the runnerrrr......loose ball .....ITS GOOD!!!!.........4.4 to go............Shannon...'Don't want to foul'............Shannon..from the cornerrrrrrrrrr........AND IT'S OVER!!!!!......GONZAGA!!!, THE SLIPPER STILL FITS!!!.....THEY WIN IT 73-72."

Holy Cow.

Club Prez
07-13-2010, 07:21 PM
Stockton's freshman year, a ranked USF comes into Kennedy and gets run out of the gym. The place was packed to the rafters

That was my most memorable game as well, except my memory is centered around taking hose hits from the keg in the back of my pickup parked just a few feet outside the east doors of Kennedy Pavilion during half-time and after the game. Many friends joined us, including some of the players. It really helped to keep our enthusiasm up and our hoarse throats sated.

Yeah, those were the days when you could get away with that stuff. :D

zagthunder
07-13-2010, 08:41 PM
2. Morrison's win over OSU -- I'm on ESPN jumping onto the floor when he made it as I was just under the basket.

1. Spending an entire game this past season watching with Pendo from my seats, talking about basketball.

IslandZag
07-13-2010, 09:09 PM
Ammo's bank shot 3-pointer.

The Key was rocking that night and the energy spilled out into the streets after the game.

Awesome.

FlagZag
07-13-2010, 09:57 PM
1. Ammo's bank shot at Key Arena

tyra
07-13-2010, 09:59 PM
5. Meech's runner for the win two years ago.

4. Two preseason tourneys I attended in the last few years (Alaska and Florida)

3. Ammo's trey to beat OSU

2. Last year's Maui Invitational -- simply magic in every regard

1. The Zags last defeat of the UW in the Kennel where I was honored to sit next to Father Spitzer, a great man and a great leader of a great university.

zagsfanforlife
07-13-2010, 10:29 PM
Greatest memory i ever witnessed was going with on a road trip up to Arizona and watching the Zags upset the University of Florida on the famous Cavlary Tip in at the sweet 16 of the 99 tournament. Was such a great memory for both my dad and I and one I will cherish forever.

AzZag
07-13-2010, 10:40 PM
1. Wife flew me up to Spokane for our wedding anniversary.
Watched the Zags destroy St Mary's with Patty Mills, Diamon S, etc.
Then two nights later, senior night against Santa Clara, where Brody Anglin was knocked out cold. Sat right next to Pendo's family behind the basket for senior night. One helluva visit. Heck, we even rode on a two minute "Over the Falls" tram ride, or whatever it is called.

2. Sitting front row on the bench against Texas and Kevin Durant in Arizona. Bought two tickets on Ticketmaster for $450 thinking I'd be on the Zags bench, and booya...our seats were on the frickin Longhorns bench! Doh! Sat next to a player named Dexter Pittman and watched Josh Heyfelt block a Kevin Durant three pointer from the top of the key. Golden.

Worst Zags moment........the dreaded UCLA game. :(

kclubfounder
07-14-2010, 06:24 AM
"Shot clock turned off.....Calvary.......Hall........8 to shoot........Hall...the runnerrrr......loose ball .....ITS GOOD!!!!.........4.4 to go............Shannon...'Don't want to foul'............Shannon..from the cornerrrrrrrrrr........AND IT'S OVER!!!!!......GONZAGA!!!, THE SLIPPER STILL FITS!!!.....THEY WIN IT 73-72........HOLY COW!!!!"

And:

Right now, the Mariners looking for the tie. They would take a fly ball, they would love a base hit into the gap and they could win it with Junior's speed. The stretch... and the 0-1 pitch on the way to Edgar Martínez swung on and LINED DOWN THE LEFT FIELD LINE FOR A BASE HIT! HERE COMES JOEY, HERE IS JUNIOR TO THIRD BASE, THEY'RE GOING TO WAVE HIM IN! THE THROW TO THE PLATE WILL BE ... LATE! THE MARINERS ARE GOING TO PLAY FOR THE AMERICAN LEAGUE CHAMPIONSHIP! I DON'T BELIEVE IT! IT JUST CONTINUES! MY, OH MY!

These two calls can brighten the worst day!

WILLYMCG
07-14-2010, 06:46 AM
Same here. Great investment in a style of life, plus hoops-love!

gozagswoohoo
07-14-2010, 07:12 AM

Go ZAGS

THIS IS AMAZING!!!!! HAHAHAHA! Thank you for sharing!!!

And I am loving this thread right now. Thank you everyone who has shared so far. There are some incredible stories, and I absolutely love reading your memories in such great detail.

jbslicer
07-14-2010, 08:28 AM
1) The GU-LMU game that the Zags lost 90-80. LMU used a 6 second shot clock.
2) The two beat downs the Zags gave the Huskies in the MAC.
3) Errol Knight for three to beat USD in the Slim Gym.
4) The overtime game the Zags lost to Memphis in the Spokane Arena. Spokane fans were pretty darn loud.
5) This one was on TV. The second of the WSU game two years ago in Pullman.

Rbo
07-14-2010, 09:20 AM
1. Morrison hitting the game winning 3 at Battle in Seattle.
2. If the Zags had beaten #2 UConn during "The Big Storm of 2008," that game might have been my #1. The atmosphere was electric.
3. My first game at the Kennel (even though it was a lopsided blowout of SD).
4. Ammo and company putting away Indiana in SLC to get to the Sweet 16.

TokyoZag
07-14-2010, 09:39 AM
3. "Shot clock turned off.....Calvary.......Hall........8 to shoot........Hall...the runnerrrr......loose ball .....ITS GOOD!!!!.........4.4 to go............Shannon...'Don't want to foul'............Shannon..from the cornerrrrrrrrrr........AND IT'S OVER!!!!!......GONZAGA!!!, THE SLIPPER STILL FITS!!!.....THEY WIN IT 73-72........HOLY COW!!!!" Gus Johnson/Dan Bonner3/99

This. A million times over. This. I was watching from court-side if you can believe it, so I never heard the TV commentary. Even then, I still get the shivers when I watch video...

TexasZagFan
07-14-2010, 09:42 AM
Hoops related:

1. Bracket-Buster in Tulsa. Had a chance to reconnect with GoZags, met several families who drove to the game from the surrounding states.

2. NCAA loss to Nevada: game sucked, but I watched it with a few Gonzaga-in-Florence students at a sports bar a stone's throw from Trafalgar Square.

3. NCAA loss to Wyoming: my tix were smack dab in the middle of the Wyoming section. A young lad from Wyoming (6'4" & 225 lbs), challenged me to "step outside" when I asked him to cool it on the F-Bombs (my oldest son was in middle school at the time). My son was expecting to see his old man get his a$$ kicked. I simply said, "adults don't settle matters by fighting."

Non-hoops:

1. Watching Lenn Sakata hit dingers out of Pecarovich.

2. Dropping a fake paternity suit on a classmate...and he bought into it!

3. Sun-bathing on the south balcony in March, 3rd floor DeSmet.

4. Playing frisbee in the hallways in DeSmet.

5. My buddies getting Black Dan Brajcich to sign a fake drop slip for all of my accounting classes fall semester, senior year.

6. Defeating Eastern Wash. in the first rifle match of my senior year. That was nearly on the level of the Zags beating UNC in MSG.

7. Getting together with several alums when Bud Jameson assumed command of an Army Reserve Brigade several years ago.

8. Bumping into a fellow ROTC classmate while waiting in line to go through customs...at Heathrow Airport. I was flying back to DC after completing my tour in Germany in 81.

9. Visiting my senior year ROTC teacher at his office in DC, and seeing the photo we gave him from Spring Camp at Fort Lewis (Major Winters' "scalps"). It was prominently displayed on his desk.

10. Seeing Rick Sweet play in El Paso during his rookie year in AA. I was going through Officers' Basic at Fort Bliss.

...that's a start.

Manetherendrelle
07-14-2010, 10:15 AM
The greatest Zag moment relating to basketball for me was in SLC for the 2003 NCAA tournament. Wisnton Brooks threw a lob pass to Ronny Turiaf against Cincinatti and nailed the three pointer -nothing but net- and a game that I believe is one of the best tourney games ever against Arizona that went to 2OT that we narrowly lost. I remember everyone was so shocked, including both Ronny and Winston on that oop that nothing happened for a second and then I believe Corey Violette slammed it down just to make sure we scored. Everyone was in silent shock and even the officials were looking dumfounded at what just happened. Those two games and that entire tournament trip in SLC right after it hosted the Winter Games was amazing and something I will never forget!!!

GoZags
07-14-2010, 10:37 AM
The greatest Zag moment relating to basketball for me was in SLC for the 2003 NCAA tournament. Wisnton Brooks threw a lob pass to Ronny Turiaf against Cincinatti and nailed the three pointer -nothing but net- and a game that I believe is one of the best tourney games ever against Arizona that went to 2OT that we narrowly lost. I remember everyone was so shocked, including both Ronny and Winston on that oop that nothing happened for a second and then I believe Corey Violette slammed it down just to make sure we scored. Everyone was in silent shock and even the officials were looking dumfounded at what just happened. Those two games and that entire tournament trip in SLC right after it hosted the Winter Games was amazing and something I will never forget!!!

I've posted before that during the end of regulation and through both overtimes -- all I wanted to do was curl up in the fetal position and let the crowd noise tell me what was happening as I thought I was too nervous to watch. However, I was sitting with hondo and was 1 row in front of Stockton and his family -- so I gutted it out and stood and watched with the rest of the crowd. What a game. Here's a note from a national perspective:

Charlotte Observer

Charlotte Observer, The (NC)
March 23, 2003

GONZAGA ADDS FINAL TOUCH OF CLASS

PLAYERS ACKNOWLEDGE FANS IN POSTGAME SALUTE

Author: SCOTT FOWLER, Staff Writer

Dateline: SALT LAKE CITY

I've seen hundreds of college basketball games over the years, but I don't ever remember seeing anything quite like this.
Arizona edged Gonzaga 96-95 in double-overtime Saturday night in one of the best, most frantic NCAA tournament games ever played. That was great enough. There were 14,000 fans in the building, and they were all cheering wildly after it ended, regardless of affiliation.
They were giving all of the players a standing ovation. Every one of them.
A number of the players, meanwhile, had fallen onto the court. They had collapsed from exhaustion and emotion after Gonzaga's final two shots in the last few seconds both rimmed out.
The Arizona players struggled off the court. But the Gonzaga players stayed a little longer, then huddled at the free-throw line.
And then it happened. The Gonzaga players began clapping back at the fans - first at the group of its supporters, but then at the Arizona group and even all of the Duke fans who had arrived early and happened onto this thriller.
The players did 360-degree turns, still clapping back at everyone, letting the fans know they had spurred this game to heights that might not be equaled again in this NCAA men's basketball tournament.
"We needed to thank the fans," Gonzaga's Blake Stepp said. "They poured their hearts into this game, too."
I loved it.
To me, it was the finest moment of a game that had dozens. Gonzaga tied the game on a buzzer-beater follow shot by Tony Skinner to force the first overtime, then Arizona tied it with five seconds left in the first overtime on a tough basket by Luke Walton.
There were so many stars. Stepp, looking like the fifth Beatle, nervelessly knocked down one big shot after another on his way to 25 points and eight assists. Arizona's Walton was wonderful, passing the ball like a point guard but forcing his way inside like a center.
"It was a shame there had to be a winner and a loser," Gonzaga coach Mark Few said. "It feels like we both should move on after that."
It did feel that way. Ultimately, the No. 1 seed in the West beat the No. 9 seed. Arizona averted a huge upset.
But it was hard to watch that game and not feel like a winner.
Scott Fowler:; sfowler@charlotteobserver.com.

Martin Centre Mad Man
07-14-2010, 11:10 AM
THIS IS AMAZING!!!!! HAHAHAHA! Thank you for sharing!!!

And I am loving this thread right now. Thank you everyone who has shared so far. There are some incredible stories, and I absolutely love reading your memories in such great detail.

I'm enjoying this more than any other thread of this offseason. Thanks for starting this one, Woohoo.

MDABE80
07-14-2010, 11:14 AM
Wonderful memories. I guess that some of us go back awhile and many are blessed to have seen most everything mentioned from the basketball angle. I look at my own experience "being there" and remember the moments where I was So dumbstruck, it seemed the world either sped up or just plain stopped.

1. First two games of 1999 NCAA. I remember being just amazed...and even more amazing when the Seattle fans began supporting GU. ALso though, we had nobody heralded as worldbeaters...and yet the kids prevailed. It was just spectacular.

2. After Josh was let go, Derek and the boys went OT twice against a highly ranked Ememhpis team. Down ....the kids kept stroming back. To me it was among the most courageous moments I remember. All 12 thousand fans at the Arena made it all the more memorable. NOISE......and heartbreak at the end but whatta game for the undermanned Zags. Among the first times I felt like Spokane had finally stood up for the Zags....and not just a little...NOISE got louder as the end of the game approached.....these two heavyweights ( one very injured) went at it and the City seemed to understand what was happening as the game went on...

3. Like others...the AZ game noted above by the esteemed GZ. When the last shot rimmed out, it was like the world went into some form of suspended animation....quietness...yet overly visual. Never seen anything like that one. AZ kids ran off the floor in full escape mode. I just sat...stunned.

The air was sucked out of the place.

zagporvida
07-14-2010, 12:35 PM
Probably the ones that stick out to me are:

1. Also seeing Bo Kimble and Hank Gathers in the Martin Center. It was packed from top to bottom.

2. Saw Gary Payton and OSU take on the Bulldogs in 1989 I think it was. That would have been my freshman year.

3. Last year showing up at 4 am for staff tickets for the last three home games of the season. :-)

maynard g krebs
07-14-2010, 12:51 PM
1)Dickau going off for 25 in the 2nd half v. Pepp in the WCC title game at the Slim Gym, and the flop/takedown of Jimmy Miggins.

2)The banker v. OSU at the Key

3)the Huskies missing 23 shots straight at BOA

Colbyspapa
07-14-2010, 01:22 PM
My best "lived it" Gonzaga basketball memory was the night that John Rillie shot the Zags into the 1995 NCAA Tournament - the first Gonzaga Tournament ever.

To quote GSBA President, Stefan Weitz, "From the Campus, there erupted a scream..." Students rushed from every part of campus into the quad, then to the traffic circle by DeSmet Hall. It was a mid-terms Monday night at near-Midnight, but it seemed like every student on campus dropped whatever they were doing and congregated for a spontaneous bonfire over by the DeSmet traffic circle. Students stormed the library, the AD Building, and study lounges to drag uncooperative bookworms out to join the party that lasted for hours. That amazing, positive energy kept the Gonzaga community on a natural high for days...until Maryland crushed the Zags in a 14-3 seed mismatch a few days later.

Yes, there was a time when a WCC Tournament title could erupt into a spontaneous bonfire on the Gonzaga campus.

I was one of 10 GU Juniors that jumped into 2 cars and drove 17 hours straight to Santa Clara after JR shot us into the title game.

Fr. Tony saw us outside before the game and walked us into the arena and sat us in the front rows. Other then the 10 of us, there were only 4 or 5 other students at the game who weren't part of the staff. It was midterms. I'll never forget the look on the players faces when we walked in. 10 KC shirts all fired up.

In the final, John shot his second free throw left handed with 30 seconds to go in the game after winking at the 10 of us.

I remember getting a pretty upset call from my mom a few days later asking if I skipped my midterms. (she had seen us on tv) Luckily, Fr. Coughlin sent a note to our profs asking if we could have an extension on the tests until that Friday.

It was my favorite GU basketball memory from my time there.

Non basketball related - Search, GSBA, Chris Rock almost getting us in GSBA kicked out of school. Desmet 2nd floor snowball fights, SYRs and other such good times.

gozagswoohoo
07-14-2010, 01:27 PM
I was one of 10 GU Juniors that jumped into 2 cars and drove 17 hours straight to Santa Clara after JR shot us into the title game.

Fr. Tony saw us outside before the game and walked us into the arena and sat us in the front rows. Other then the 10 of us, there were only 4 or 5 other students at the game who weren't part of the staff. It was midterms. I'll never forget the look on the players faces when we walked in. 10 KC shirts all fired up.

In the final, John shot his second free throw left handed with 30 seconds to go in the game after winking at the 10 of us.

I remember getting a pretty upset call from my mom a few days later asking if I skipped my midterms. (she had seen us on tv) Luckily, Fr. Coughlin sent a note to our profs asking if we could have an extension on the tests until that Friday.

It was my favorite GU basketball memory from my time there.

Non basketball related - Search, GSBA, Chris Rock almost getting us in GSBA kicked out of school. Desmet 2nd floor snowball fights, SYRs and other such good times.

LOVE IT, thanks for posting this.

Let's hear some more!! This is really great.

Just_An_Old_Zag
07-14-2010, 01:39 PM
1976 Overtime Loss to the Cougs in the Colesium

Was a close game all the way, we would sit down and then jump up and cheer our heads off.

My room mate was suffering from appendicitis or something like that and every time he jumped and yelled he would double over in pain..it was an awesome display of stupidity..

Maui this year was great too, we stayed on the same floor as the team and watching Foster have to duck just to walk in the hallway was an reminder of how much of a curse being that tall can be...Bobby S just weaved his way down the hallway so he wouldnt hit the fire suppression sprinklers on the ceiling...lol

zag67
07-14-2010, 01:43 PM
Mine go WAY back.

My first was Frank Burgess when Gonzaga played an exhibition game against the Harlem Globe Trotters. He made some shots and passes that were unbelievable. Including his pattened play of holding the ball in both hands and fake a pass by taking both arms and hands over the players head. He then would bring it back as the player turned around looking where the pass went. He would then swish the shot.

The other was a game between Gonzaga and university of Idaho. Idaho had a player named Gus Johnson, who had a gold star in the middle of this middle tooth. Gus took a rebound off the defensive board and before he touched the floor, threw a behind the back pass the full length of the court and hit one of his teammates for a layin. It was an unbelievable pass.

ZagInTexas
07-14-2010, 04:02 PM
Great thread BTW.

One of my all-time favorite games was Dan Dickau going nutting in the second half against PEP in the Slim Gym of the 2002 WCC tournament finals (one of the most entertaining games I had seen in a really long time). He had something like 29 second half points. Dude was unconscious. He couldn't miss from behind the line. Really high level basketball being played. Pepperdine still made the NCAA Tournament that year. I think the final score was 96-90 so there was definitely lots of action.

75Zag
07-14-2010, 04:16 PM
My greatest Zag memory is seeing the cute and sexy "rear end" of the lovely Mrs. '75 as she was walking down the hall with her girlfriends on the 2nd floor of Catherine-Monica in October of 1971. Wow, Wow, Wow. We will celebrate our 35th wedding anniversary this August unless she dumps me before then.

My strongest Zag memory is sitting in the Oakland stadium watching GU lose to UCLA. Every time I get the flu and puke my guts up, I recall that evening.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

pbriz
07-14-2010, 04:26 PM
This is tough but top 3:

3. Errol Knight coming back from injury and hitting a game winning 3 against USD in 05-06. Then taking laps through CM at a full sprint.

2. Taking classes at UNC the summer after we beat them in MSG. The level of respect for our program was unbelievable across the country.

1. The last GU-UW game when Heytvelt threw down the alley-oop on the opening tip. I don't think I ever witnessed anything louder in my life.

Zag365
07-14-2010, 04:52 PM
1. Ammo bank shot to defeat OSU in BIS.

2. 1999 defeats of Minnesota and Stanford in NCAA first round.

3. 2003 beatdown of UW (86-62) at Hec Ed during Stepp's senior season. Absolutely suffocating defense despite half the team having the flu or coming off injuries.

4. 1971 overtime loss at home to Cougars. At the time, the Cougar game was our one and only OOC big game of the year.

kclubfounder
07-14-2010, 05:24 PM
As you can tell from my handle, I was there when the KC was started. My memory has faded in the past 26 years, but these are the 2 games that still stand out from 1984, year 1 of the Kennel Club:

The game that started it all: A pre-game party was thrown at our house. We put a couple hand-made posters on campus, and told friends that we would have 2 kegs. Drink for the 2 hours leading up to the game - price of admission - GET YOUR FACE PAINTED. About 40 of us pounded beers for 2 hours, marched down to the game, sat in the 1st several rows with painted faces (I'm quite certain a 1st for GU), and cheered louder and harder than any group of fans GU had seen in recent history. Actually, considering GU basketball at that point in 1984, and its fan support, I suspect it was a record-setter. This game started the tradition. For the rest of the year, every home game was supported by a group of students who prefunctioned at our home. Word spread, the party grew game-by-game, the support at the games grew game-by-game, and the rest is history.

The 2x4 blocks game: This was probably about the 4th game in the history of the Kennel Club. We tried to come up with a theme for each game. Someone came up with the great idea that we should buy a bunch of 2x4 wood blocks, hand them out to everyone attending the pre-game drunkfest, and have everyone bang them together at the game. We took care of our pre-game responsibilities, marched down to the game, sat front and center (small crowds - growing reputation for our crew - these seats were OURS), and started banging the wood together. The sound was shocking - truly hard to believe. The game was delayed about 15 minutes as the officials refused to start the game until every block of wood was surrendered.

gmo
07-14-2010, 05:43 PM
this, by a mile... biggest win in Gonzaga's history IMO. Put the team and program on the map, and the seeds were planted for all the ensuing success.

[URL="http://www.guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?p=481249"]

kyle dixon
07-14-2010, 08:10 PM
I just moved to Seattle from Spokane and landed a job in Feb of '99. Went out on a Friday in March and one of the guys was offering a free ticket to the GU-Stanford game in the Key Arena in the second round of the NCAA's. Thought Stanford would take it to the Zags. Madsen was a Beast, and he has rings (World Champion) that the other self-proclaimed d-bag can only dream about--

Mark Spink. 180 pounds or whatever battled and gave great minutes. Young for Stanford was supposed to be the second coming and Madsen was a great college player. I never could believe the tenacity of the Zags that day. Santangelo bested Arthur Lee (who apparently received his scholarship to Stanford, thank you Arthur for taking that one and giving us Matt). Great win. Sweet 16 and then of course the Elite 8!

Kyle

MontanaZag
07-15-2010, 03:29 AM
I was assigned to work for my company in the bay area for a month. First thing I did was check the schedule, sure enough the zags were scheduled to play in San Francisco at War Memorial while I was there. I submitted a request through the dons website and was thrilled when I got a reply that two tickets would be waiting for me in will call. It was the Adam Morrison tour that year, and the house was PACKED! There were people sitting in all of the aisles and the PA announcer continually was warning that the game could be called off by the fire department. Im sure you all recall that Morrison didnt disappoint that night. Arguably the most "in the zone" he's ever been, one of his three point shots was closer to half court than to the 3 pt line. What I remember most is the crowd everytime the ball left his hands, it was an amazing crescendo of anticipation leading to an eruption when the ball swished through the net. simply amazing! If memory serves me correct he had 28 in the first half and 43 for the game, great experience.

gozagswoohoo
07-15-2010, 05:53 AM
As you can tell from my handle, I was there when the KC was started. My memory has faded in the past 26 years, but these are the 2 games that still stand out from 1984, year 1 of the Kennel Club:

The game that started it all: A pre-game party was thrown at our house. We put a couple hand-made posters on campus, and told friends that we would have 2 kegs. Drink for the 2 hours leading up to the game - price of admission - GET YOUR FACE PAINTED. About 40 of us pounded beers for 2 hours, marched down to the game, sat in the 1st several rows with painted faces (I'm quite certain a 1st for GU), and cheered louder and harder than any group of fans GU had seen in recent history. Actually, considering GU basketball at that point in 1984, and its fan support, I suspect it was a record-setter. This game started the tradition. For the rest of the year, every home game was supported by a group of students who prefunctioned at our home. Word spread, the party grew game-by-game, the support at the games grew game-by-game, and the rest is history.

The 2x4 blocks game: This was probably about the 4th game in the history of the Kennel Club. We tried to come up with a theme for each game. Someone came up with the great idea that we should buy a bunch of 2x4 wood blocks, hand them out to everyone attending the pre-game drunkfest, and have everyone bang them together at the game. We took care of our pre-game responsibilities, marched down to the game, sat front and center (small crowds - growing reputation for our crew - these seats were OURS), and started banging the wood together. The sound was shocking - truly hard to believe. The game was delayed about 15 minutes as the officials refused to start the game until every block of wood was surrendered.

Please accept my personal "THANK YOU" for starting what you did. It's gotta be amazing to see what it's turned into!

And the last sentence in your post had me rolling!!! THAT IS AWESOME!!

Reborn
07-15-2010, 07:41 AM
1. It was 1966. I remember the first time I ever went inside Kennedy Pavillon. It was toward the end of my Senior year in high school. I went to, and played for, a very small Jesuit high school in Yakima. I was being recruited by Gonzaga. For me it felt like I was being recruited by the Celtics. Outside of trips that my high school teams took, I almost never got outside of Yakima. I grew up in a pretty poor family. My impression of Gonzaga and especially of Kennedy was that it seemed so huge.....Isn't that funny? There were like 125 kids at Marquette High and we played our basketball games in an old Armory. Anyway, meeting Bud Preasley was quite an experience. It was his first year at GU too. He was an unbelievable man with passion for this game that is unequalled I am sure. He had me so fired up that afternoon that I really wanted to go right on down to the gym and play him one on one.

2. It was 1968, my Sophmore season at Gonzaga, when I got to start my first game as a Bulldog agaisnt WSU. It's a special feeling to hear your named called as a starting player in an NCAA Division 1 basketball game, and run out onto the court in front of your home fans, your father and older brother Pat who had always been my biggest fan.. It was a dream come true for a kid from Yakima, Washington.

Washington State had a great team. They finished 2nd in the Pac 10 to UCLA when they had Lou Alcinder (kareem Jabar). They had two starting players from Yakima who I knew fairly well as we played at the YMCA a lot in the summers. They were from Davis, a 4A school, and I was from Marquette, an 1A school, so I never got to play against them until I got to Gonzaga. WSU also had Ray Stein, from Richland, WA, and who was my idol growing up. And I got to guard him. My favorite moment of the game was stealing the ball from Ray and scoring on a layup. I put up 18 points against him and held him to 12.

2. The same year, this time at WSU, I was sitting on our team bus after the game and Coach Harshman walked into our bus. I was sitting in the front of the bus. Harshman asked me if I knew why he had made the trip to our bus. I said no. He said he wanted to personally tell me that the biggest recruiting blunder that he had ever made was not recruiting me. That made me feel pretty good. It would have been probably my greatest dream at that time to have gotten to play with Wierman, Allen and Stein against UCLA and Lou Alcinder and Coach John Wooden. But as it turned out, I am so glad that today I can say that I'm a Zag, whlich is a thousand times better than saying I'm a Cougar or Huskie. It has always felt great to tell my kids, and now grandkids, that I'm a Zag. In our family, and I'm sure just like in all of yours, there is nothing in life compared to being a Zag.

3. I think it was 2006 (My God where has the time gone)? Taking my two sons to watch the Zags, with Adam Morrison, play against Oklahoma St in Key Arena in the Battle in Seattle. After Morrison hit the game winner, the feeling in the Key was just indescribable, but some of you here on the board have done a great job of it...thanks). Of coourse Morrison was our favorite Zag of all time, and to see him pull it off with an unbelievable shot at the end of the game is so great. I will never forget the look in my sons' eyes after that shot went in. Special.

4. It must have been '07. Taking my oldest son, his wife and their oldest son to the Spokane Arena to see the double overtime game against Memphis. The game with all those white towels. The noise in the arena that night was so loud that I thought I was going to pass out a couple of times. It was unbelievable. We all talk so much about the great shot Calvary made against Florida. What about all those games when we lost at the buzzer. I saw this one live, and it's just gut wrenching. They are so ssd. And this was one of them, but it sure was a great experience being there in Spokane.

As someone who played for Gonzaga when we were no where near what the Zags are today, it has been an unbelievable experience for me, and one full of pride, to see what has happened at our wonderful Jesuit school on Boone Ave. Being there in Spokane arena always reminds me of the Miracle On Boone. I try to get back there every year. It has been special to take my kids back there, and now grandchildren and take them over to Kennedy Pavilion where it started for me. What a difference betweeen the Kennel and K2.

Great thread everyone. Thanks Woo hoo.

I must include that it's always a special time for me when I meet some of you from the GUboard in person at a Zag game. It was especially nice for me to meet Bob Zag.

GoZags
07-15-2010, 08:20 AM
I was assigned to work for my company in the bay area for a month. First thing I did was check the schedule, sure enough the zags were scheduled to play in San Francisco at War Memorial while I was there. I submitted a request through the dons website and was thrilled when I got a reply that two tickets would be waiting for me in will call. It was the Adam Morrison tour that year, and the house was PACKED! There were people sitting in all of the aisles and the PA announcer continually was warning that the game could be called off by the fire department. Im sure you all recall that Morrison didnt disappoint that night. Arguably the most "in the zone" he's ever been, one of his three point shots was closer to half court than to the 3 pt line. What I remember most is the crowd everytime the ball left his hands, it was an amazing crescendo of anticipation leading to an eruption when the ball swished through the net. simply amazing! If memory serves me correct he had 28 in the first half and 43 for the game, great experience.

Not sure of all the stats, but here's what the scoreboard looked like a little more than 12 minutes into the game.

http://i925.photobucket.com/albums/ad93/tbkd1/guatusf1.jpg

jimmy b
07-15-2010, 08:44 AM
1) Florida - need I say more.
2) St. Johns into sweet 16- Santangelo was awesome and Spink with the dunk..wow.
3) Pepperdine for wcc championship in San Diego. Dickau put on clinic in 2nd half when we fell behind. Unbelievable performance.
4) Dickau again in a blowout game against LMU, dropped 34 in the first half. I think he only shot once in 2nd half and ended with 34.
5) UW game in key arena 2000 capped with a Santangelo reverse dunk.

It's amazing how the program has evolved. Keep in mind, in Stockton's senior year (my sophomore) the team, due to injuries, recruited players from the "noon league" (rat ball) adding Gino Cherchai to the team. Imagine that today.

As a fan, I followed the team casually from the time I graduated, catching games when they were in So Cal. It wasn't until the Clemson game in 98 in top of the world classic when I realized the possibilities the team had and became a big time follower. Favorite year of course was 99 and while I'm sure most of you won't believe I saw it coming...I did - to some extent. Not the elite 8, but I knew how good they were. I travelled to seem them play many times that year. I remember how pumped I got when they received votes in the polls, and then finally snuck in at 24 I think.

It felt like we were on the verge of something special. At the WCC tourney at Toso in Santa Clara, with only a handful of Zag fans there - George Gee was one - the team just took care of business. They were a machine. Frahm, Matt, Nilsen with his D. Getting through Minnesota and Stanford didn't surprise. The following week in Arizona was one of the best weeks ever though it ended badly with the UConn loss - It felt we were going to win that game up until the end, but Rip Hamilton and Jake Voskul were tough.

It's been a great ride and I look forward to more, as do my young boys....My wife is another story, but she's been a great sport through the years and allowed our travels (i.e. Maui) to coincide with games.

woohoo - thanks for the thread.

77Zag
07-15-2010, 08:44 AM
http://myweb.cwpost.liu.edu/bbyrne/gzpics/ken.jpg[/IMG]

Wow, great pic -- pretty sure that is your freshmen year-- Dave Demo and Kelly Baird? !!

Martin Centre Mad Man
07-15-2010, 09:56 AM
1)

It felt like we were on the verge of something special. At the WCC tourney at Toso in Santa Clara, with only a handful of Zag fans there - George Gee was one - the team just took care of business. They were a machine. Frahm, Matt, Nilsen with his D. Getting through Minnesota and Stanford didn't surprise. The following week in Arizona was one of the best weeks ever though it ended badly with the UConn loss - It felt we were going to win that game up until the end, but Rip Hamilton and Jake Voskul were tough.

I stayed up late to watch that 1999 WCC Tournament final on T.V. It was the first Zags game I'd been able to watch on the East Coast, because the Zags were never nationally televised during those years. I was absolutely amazed at how much the program had improved in the short time since I had graduated in 1996. I was amazed that the staff had recruited such an athletic team with so much size without sacrificing the ball handling, hustle and shooting that had marked the program when I had been in school.

When the brackets came out a few days later, I walked into my office with my bracket and told everybody that I worked with in emphatic terms that the Zags were going to beat Stanford in the second round of the tournament, advance past the Sweet 16 and scare UCONN in the Elite Eight. Everybody thought I was crazy, but I stood by the prediction.

I won the office pool.

rijman
07-15-2010, 01:10 PM
1) the 2008 WCC finals at USD where I finally met Frank Burgess at the pregame social, a lifelong friend of my dads from the 50's basketball team. I keep the picture of Frank and I, which my dad got signed and framed and presented as a gift, directly behind me on my credenza in my office. My dad passed away later that year, so it was cool to meet Frank when my dad was still around. Hearing Frank tell the same stories my dad told me since I was a little kid blew me away. There was truth to those stories afterall.

2) My first game at the MAC Feb 10, 2007 (my bday, so easy to remember). The Zags had like a 49 home game winning streak on the line and Heytvelt got busted with Davis and missed that game, but the Zags still pulled it out. We got Herak club passes. I was interviewed by KHQ on my way out of the arena and then we headed off to J&D's to for some drinks and watched another WCC game with a raucus Zag crowd. I loved every moment of it.

gozagswoohoo
07-15-2010, 01:27 PM
1) the 2008 WCC finals at USD where I finally met Frank Burgess at the pregame social, a lifelong friend of my dads from the 50's basketball team. I keep the picture of Frank and I, which my dad got signed and framed and presented as a gift, directly behind me on my credenza in my office. My dad passed away later that year, so it was cool to meet Frank when my dad was still around. Hearing Frank tell the same stories my dad told me since I was a little kid blew me away. There was truth to those stories afterall.

2) My first game at the MAC Feb 10, 2007 (my bday, so easy to remember). The Zags had like a 49 home game winning streak on the line and Heytvelt got busted with Davis and missed that game, but the Zags still pulled it out. We got Herak club passes. I was interviewed by KHQ on my way out of the arena and then we headed off to J&D's to for some drinks and watched another WCC game with a raucus Zag crowd. I loved every moment of it.

Such great stories, thanks for sharing. Especially the first one.

Once and Future Zag
07-15-2010, 02:13 PM
GU's first NCAA Game.

Just being there for the very first time.

Starting from watching Rille destroy the rest of the WCC during the tourney - to waiting for our name to come up on the NCAA Selection Sunday show - to our first taste of the big dance.

WestsideZag2424
07-15-2010, 10:48 PM
1) The first time I participated in Zombie Nation during Midnight Madness my freshman year. I seriously think rooting so hard that night led to Mono hitting me so hard the next week that I lost 15lbs, but it was worth it.

2) The first couple minutes of the St. Mary's game in 2008, when Steve had the 2 breakaway dunks in a row. After a whole week camping in zero degree weather, it was amazing.

3) Ira's dunk; you know the one. Greatest dunk I've ever seen in person, it was amazing. I was 3rd row of the student section on that end so it was right in front of me and I saw the whole thing building up. Gives me chills every time I watch the replay:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrGQWlxybxQ

Didn't count it in the top 3 because only half of it was in person, but watching Meech's runner with some GU buddies at The Ram in U-Village in Seattle and then walking over to Hec Ed to see the girls win their first ever NCAA tourney game. Everyone in the Ram was rooting for us by the way, so don't say UW fans hate GU

WestsideZag2424
07-15-2010, 10:51 PM
And I'm gonna be a Junior this upcoming year, so here's hoping for some even better memories :)

MontanaZag
07-16-2010, 01:37 AM
Not sure of all the stats, but here's what the scoreboard looked like a little more than 12 minutes into the game.

http://i925.photobucket.com/albums/ad93/tbkd1/guatusf1.jpg
That is awesome! 24 points in 12 minutes, rediculous.

810Suited
07-16-2010, 03:19 AM
2006 Gonzaga beats UNC at MSG. The only Zag game I have ever been to in person, sadly. Was an amazing game, sat 7 rows up next to swarms of UNC fans talking mad ish the whole game.

UberZagFan
07-16-2010, 01:22 PM
Getting married in the Jesuit House chapel with Fr. Costello presiding

Father Costello presided over Reno's marriage? He baptized Uber. Interesting.

If you are interested, there is a nice article in Gonzaga Lawyer this month about Father Costello and his influences on GU Law over the years. You can read it online at:

http://www.zagsonline.org/s/829/lawInternal.aspx?sid=829&gid=2&pgid=349

UberZagFan
07-16-2010, 01:27 PM
Oh, as for the question: Number 1 greatest in person memory has to be the shot hit by Adam in the BIS. The place went crazy. Everyone around Uber went crazy.

Number 2 is College Gameday vs. Stanford. Before the game, 229Sinto's sister tried to get us to go in early with the season ticket holder crew and save her a seat in the student section, as she was in the back of the line. When we got to the gates early and they said we couldn't re-enter (we planned on leaving after she got her seat because it was about 2 hours before tip), we turned right around and went back to Jack & Dan's.

RockandRollJames
07-17-2010, 10:59 AM
Jeremy Pargo's speech after the game on senior night. He was hilarious.

RenoZag
07-17-2010, 12:12 PM
Thanks for posting the link to that article on Fr. Frank !

TheBeast
07-17-2010, 01:23 PM
First great memory: David's Pizza opening their doors and making us a large pie even though they had already closed on our first... ahem... weekend night... of freshman year.

Second great memory (but probably 1st place): Instinctively running out the door and gathering in the center of campus after The Runner with hundreds of other students and fans. I think I ran out of my dorm room before time had even expired. Woops. There's a really good, blurry photo of all of us at that gathering that someone turned in to posters... if there's one out there, I would love to have a copy.

Third: Taking the English comp exam and then partying it up at Madonnastock, essentially done with my scholastic career at GU. Bittersweet.

Fourth: My first time stepping in to the new Kennel/MAC/whatever, it's the new Kennel, and it was amazing.

Fifth: Talking to Mark Few on the phone: "Yeah, this is Mark Few, I'm the coach of the Men's Basketball team..." "I know who you are, Coach!"

Sixth: Walking in to the mailroom on campus with an armful of Kennel Club shirts very other day and mailing them out to some of you guys and other fans around the country. ;)

willandi
07-17-2010, 06:16 PM
It's humbling to read the responses to this thread, and understand who some of the forum members are.

Having never been to a Zag B'ball game live, my best live memory is peripheral.

I was sitting in the front row of a Lady Zag soccer game, watching my cousin's daughter play keep, when Matt, Pendo and Big Will sat down next to me. Pendo is a St. Louis Cardinal's fan, just like me, and we talked baseball...but we both also root for the M's.

maineblackbear
07-17-2010, 07:22 PM
Adam's shot @ BIS. Repeat all superlatives from above. Got to watch Dan F. throw a fit in the mid-80s(the guy was awesome at scaring me--don't know how anyone else felt). Had a history class with Casey Calvary -- and a Comm class with John Stockton. Did I tell you I went to Gonzaga fall 82-spring 87 but did not graduate until fall 98? My degree sez GU, but I don't count in any of the "graduated in good time" stats.

MBB

heavyzag
07-17-2010, 08:39 PM
1 Michigan State game in Maui, my wife and I were in row 2, as Adam announced himself to America.... 2 LMU with Gathers and Kimble if you recall it was a huge icestorm and I was a teen and my parents were so against me going, so glad I did! 3 OK State at Key 4 Beating Stanford at the Key with Spike pretending to pee on the tree

gozagswoohoo
07-18-2010, 02:59 PM
Easily the most entertained and interested I've been in a thread in the last year or longer...

gu03alum
07-20-2010, 03:49 PM
I'm a little late to the party, but I'll add mine.

1. The last game of the Gonzaga UW series was amazing. I have never heard the place so loud. I still watch the game from time to time when I'm feeling down.

2. Another Gonzaga win over UW in 1998 I think. I went with my dad to the Spokane Arena. I was trying to decide between the two schools and UW was heavily favored before the game. I fell in love with Gonzaga and the Kennel club after that game.

3. Gonzaga vs. Stanford Gameday game. In fact, all of those games that year were a lot of fun. JP on senior night was a pretty special moment too.

4. When I was playing basketball in high school we practiced at Gonzaga because our gym was occupied that day. Matt Santangelo was practicing at the same time. Our whole team was pretty star struck.

5. Until recently, I was either a student or employed at Gonzaga for 8 of the last 11 years and I have so many wonderful memories from that time. I could go on and on about the wonderful things I have been a part of the amazing people I have met here.

SunDevilGolfZag
07-20-2010, 04:50 PM
(1) The whole atmosphere in Key arena when we beat Stanford on the Elite 8 run. It was really amazing.
(2) When Casey broke the backboard against the Lobos in the arena. Also, Fran Frischilla was going nuts at the refs during our comeback in that game. Too bad we fell just short in O.T.
(3) When the Kennel Clubbers all put the white spots in their hair and paraded past Fitz -- I can't remember if that was late 80s or early 90s. Ultimate showing of respect for Fitz in the days when the KC came up with interesting little stunts.

ID ZAGFAN
07-20-2010, 06:27 PM
WooHoo, congratulations on your sixth Hall of Fame Thread! :)

ZaGranny

gonzagafan62
02-22-2014, 01:00 PM
This is sad to say, but I have never been to a Gonzaga game. Over 17 years of watching and I have never seen a game live.

former1dog
02-28-2014, 08:11 AM
2. Saw Gary Payton and OSU take on the Bulldogs in 1989 I think it was. That would have been my freshman year.

This is a memory for me also. I remember the Kennel Club was just brutal to him and he gave it right back on the court. Although his "gesture" at the end of the game towards the Kennel Club (grabbing his junk) wasn't very classy, I think the KC deserved it.

GoZags
04-11-2017, 02:19 PM
This thread has been resting comfortably in the Hall of Fame. Thought I'd bring it back to MBB for awhile ... just in case anyone has something to add ...

Zags_Fanatic
04-11-2017, 02:32 PM
Seeing the crowd give Karnowski a standing ovation when he came out for warmups at Kraziness in the Kennel is my new #1 all-time. It was the first time my 3 year-old ever saw me openly crying and we had an amazing moment together watching her new favorite Zag. After the season she was inconsolable when I told her that Karnowski would never play at Gonzaga again.

Zagceo
04-11-2017, 02:37 PM
1. Calvary Tip in Florida

2. Mathews 3 pointer against West Virginia

3. Zach dominating last minutes of South Carolina game

gonzagafan62
04-11-2017, 02:49 PM
No person sightings (yet) but now I'll add my favorite memories (best shots in GU history, since I've been watching... around 2005"

1. Jordan Mathews vs West Virginia in San Jose
2. Adam Morrison vs Oklahoma State in Seattle
3. Gary Bell Jr. in Stillwater
4. Meech in Portland over WKU
5. Sam Dower in JCP vs SCU on January 29, 2014

Honorable mentions

1. Brian Bhaskars 3 in Kennel on Senior Night
2. Jack Beach vs Utah in second round of NCAA tourney nice layup
3. Plenty of other ones just can't think of them right now

MickMick
04-11-2017, 03:00 PM
It was a loss, but the matchup against Calapari's Memphis Tigers in Spokane arena was memorable.
It was a loss, but the matchup (in Seattle) against #2 ranked UConn was memorable.
It was a loss, but watching Sabonis and Wiltjer against St. Mary's in the Kennel was memorable.

Anyone starting to see the pattern? I'm bad luck.

The best win I have witnessed was Olynyk against Frank Martin's Kansas State in Seattle.

Gonzdb8
04-11-2017, 03:02 PM
my personal top 3

1. Morrison's buzzer beater against Oklahoma State (he called bank!)
2. Meech's coast to coast against WKU
3. Heytvelts dunk over Spencer Hawes in the Kennel (2006?). Really set the tone for the rest of that game.

23dpg
04-11-2017, 03:14 PM
Phoenix

IMADEYOUREADTHIS
04-11-2017, 03:46 PM
Third game in the McCarthy, November 24, 2004. Turiaf went nuts on the Vandals for 40 points (http://www.gozags.com/sports/m-baskbl/stats/112504aaa.html). Morrison played pretty well in his Sophomore season and it was Batista's first game.

Also, not actual games, but I remember the Kraziness in the Kennel when Pangos was a Freshman - I looked at my wife during the scrimmage and told her "he's the best player here, and it's not close".

This fall, I took my son to Kraziness - saw Nigel, and said the same thing. He was so much faster than everyone else.

ZagMan in Philly
04-11-2017, 04:00 PM
Phoenix

Yes!
It was my bucket list to be in person at our first Final 4!
Being there on championship night was surreal and a dream that I never thought would be possible when I was at Gonzaga.

coolhandzag
04-11-2017, 04:07 PM
1. The Runner.
2. Kimble and Gathers......and Stumer, Fryer and others.....
3. Lightfoot going for 50.....crazy....guy couldn't miss.
4. 1 on 1 with T. Spink at 610 DeSmet......never won.....never even close! Pretty sure he took it easy on me too.

IowaSERE
04-11-2017, 04:30 PM
Pangos setting the 3 point record.

sittingon50
04-11-2017, 04:45 PM
[QUOTE=coolhandzag;1315373]

That's on my list too, coolhand.

UABZag
04-11-2017, 05:18 PM
Morrison scoring 43 in Maui to beat Michigan State.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Once and Future Zag
04-11-2017, 05:56 PM
GU's first NCAA game in 1995

CdAZagFan
04-11-2017, 07:08 PM
A few that stand out to me... Two this year alone.

I'm with Zags_Fanatic above, but the long standing ovation that Kanowski got at Kraziness at the Kennel this year was incredibly moving (and his acknowledgement back). And, although I couldn't make it to the Final Four this year, I was able to watch the Semifinal game at the Hemmingson Center - it was like being right in the middle of the Kennel Club - incredibly electric (especially at halftime when most of the students were locked arm-in-arm swaying and singing Neil Diamond's Sweet Caroline). And lastly, I remember the almost-hour-long delay in a New Year's Eve game against Oklahoma in 2009 when a guy named Tiny Gallon tried to retrieve an alley oop over Sacre and broke the backboard.

509er
04-11-2017, 07:11 PM
Scott Finnie hitting a buzzer beater to beat Weber State, 2 years in a row. That was a few years ago.

JPtheBeasta
04-11-2017, 07:21 PM
My fondest memory is watching GU lose to Michigan State in the tournament at The Office on Division (now a Jack in the Box, a car parts store, or something.) I didn't know hardly anything about the Zags, but that was the moment that started it all for me. I really wish I had seen the tournament run that started it all. Better late than never, I guess.

Being able to see the Zags in person in the championship game is probably the real best Zag moment for me, but I think I must be feeling a bit sentimental right now...

ProVeeZag
04-11-2017, 08:57 PM
1. The Runner.
2. Kimble and Gathers......and Stumer, Fryer and others.....
4. 1 on 1 with T. Spink at 610 DeSmet......never won.....never even close! Pretty sure he took it easy on me too.

For me also, saw the Kimble/Gathers show with LMU twice in The Original Kennel, the last one not many weeks before Hank collapsed in Gersten Pavillion. Also witnessed Orlando Lightfoot's phenomenal shooting performance dropping 50 pts in a Vandal loss to GU. Oh, another memorable night was in 1981 when Coach Ray Meyer's DePaul Blue Demons (ranked #7 nationally at the time) and Terry Cummings came to Spokane to take on John Stockton and the Zags.

Zagger
04-12-2017, 02:06 AM
Four come to mind .....
The Mrs. & I sitting next to Ammo for a pre-season dinner/chat at the Spokane Club.
Being in the Kennel when Pangos sunk his record breaking 3.
Our WCC Tourney trips to Vegas (If you haven't gone yet it's well worth the trip!)
Going to last week's Championship game in a mad dash, spur of the moment Zag fan rush :)
Go Zags!

TexasZagFan
04-12-2017, 05:04 AM
1. Gary Bell's dagger in Stillwater, had a great view of Mike Hart's crushing screen that freed Gary. Pictures afterward with the players, check the album. Also had a brief conversation with Elias...in German.

2. Final moments of the win in Nashville: "We are GU" resonated throughout the stands. Big D's performance at half time will never be forgotten. The entire trip was magical, my first road trip with my "three boys": two sons and grandson.

3. SMU: yes, we lost that game, but to reconnect with alumni was awesome.

4. 1972: Adrian Buoncristiani throws his clipboard. Surprised he wasn't T'ed up.

gozagswoohoo
04-12-2017, 06:12 AM
What an awesome thread. It's interesting to look back on some of these memories. It's great because I now have 4-5 MORE memories that trump some of my earlier ones!!!

Getting to share the WCC tourney in Vegas with my 8 year old son was indescribable. Being at the first championship game in school history was indescribable. Ugh...get chills just thinking about those two!

jbslicer
04-12-2017, 06:33 AM
I have two, my greatest zags memory (and it's not a very old one!) is and I can promise WILL ALWAYS be:

My "Woohoo at GU" trip. The things I saw and experienced on this trip is beyond words. I always think back on how lucky I was to get to do what I did, and meet all the incredible GU fans I got to meet. (I feel like I've said this all before) :-) Well, get used to it! I'll never stop talking about it.

Second, was the moment Elias Harris hit his patented "German step into the lane" shot in Illinois to put the zags in the lead over Illinois (which we went on to when shortly after) with my dad and brother. What REALLY made it special, was that it was the first game that my dad came with me to see the zags play. Very special.

I recall WooHoo as one of the contestants in the half court shot. There must be a video of his attempt. LOL!

rennis
04-12-2017, 06:43 AM
1. Final Four Phoenix 2017

2. Stanford 1999.

3. Pepperdine in K1 in 2000. If you were there you know what I'm talking about. When GU made the comeback being down almost double digits in the second half of that slugfest (and Westphal got T'd up) the whole building was shaking. Awesome.

gozagswoohoo
04-12-2017, 06:44 AM
I recall WooHoo as one of the contestants in the half court shot. There must be a video of his attempt. LOL!

I have no recollection of the events of which you are speaking.

CarolinaZagFan
04-12-2017, 06:45 AM
Unfortunately I've only been to two GU games in person and they were both losses. One of the games in Memphis when they were #1 and the tournament game in Raleigh against Steph Curry.

IdahoZag
04-12-2017, 07:00 AM
It's amazing how the program has evolved. Keep in mind, in Stockton's senior year (my sophomore) the team, due to injuries, recruited players from the "noon league" (rat ball) adding Gino Cherchai to the team. Imagine that today.

LOL! Yep, I remember Gino! Crazy year.

My basketball related memories:

Number one: "Shot clock turned off.....Calvary.......Hall........8 to shoot........Hall...the runnerrrr......loose ball .....ITS GOOD!!!!.........4.4 to go............Shannon...'Don't want to foul'............Shannon..from the cornerrrrrrrrrr........AND IT'S OVER!!!!!......GONZAGA!!!, THE SLIPPER STILL FITS!!!.....THEY WIN IT 73-72........HOLY COW!!!!"

Number two: Work study in the equipment room at Kennedy Pavilion and being able to watch the men's basketball team practice frequently. I got to see John Stockton practicing his dunk. :D

Best non-basketball related memories:
Gonzaga-in-London
Lip sync competition :roll:

GoZags
04-12-2017, 08:17 AM
1. Sitting with Jud and Beverly Heathcote and listening to his non-stop crusty commentary as the Zags defeated Maryland and George Washington at the BB and T in Washington, DC (http://www.guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?p=481249)

2. Reed Schifferman's game ending, season ending dunk punctuating an upset win over dreaded Idaho State in March of '75. Hondo (and I) believe Schiff's technical foul for dunking may have been the last one ever called in NCAA hoops -- as that rule was changed the following year.

4. Any number of Senior Nights over the years -- watching special kids share their moment with parents/siblings/girlfriends ----- saying good bye while the Kennel Club chants "Thank you Seniors" clap clap clap clap clap... "Thank you Seniors" clap clap clap clap clap. Watching the hugs with Fewie, Munse, Fitz, Adrian.
http://myweb.cwpost.liu.edu/bbyrne/gzpics/ken.jpg

In addition to the above I'll add that I've been fortunate to "photobomb" some highlights "up close" i.e. shortly before Adam's game winner against Oklahoma State .... GU's win over Tennessee in Nashville and the tough overtime loss to #2 UConn (pic taken as Thabeet is getting "tee'd" up) ....

http://i925.photobucket.com/albums/ad93/tbkd1/aaaadammorrison540.jpg (http://s925.photobucket.com/user/tbkd1/media/aaaadammorrison540.jpg.html)
http://i925.photobucket.com/albums/ad93/tbkd1/IMG_4428_zpsjhsuaqg6.jpg (http://s925.photobucket.com/user/tbkd1/media/IMG_4428_zpsjhsuaqg6.jpg.html)

http://i925.photobucket.com/albums/ad93/tbkd1/aDSC_0573.jpg (http://s925.photobucket.com/user/tbkd1/media/aDSC_0573.jpg.html)

billyberu
04-12-2017, 10:16 AM
I was sitting three rows behind the Oklahoma State bench at the Key Arena when Adam Morrison banked a 3pt shot in to take the lead for good. That was a great win and memory.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

zagmantis2001
04-12-2017, 10:35 AM
I was sitting three rows behind the Oklahoma State bench at the Key Arena when Adam Morrison banked a 3pt shot in to take the lead for good. That was a great win and memory.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

When I was at a dad/kid overnight camp at GU, stepped to the free-throw line, air-balled a free throw and hit Turiaf in the family jewels. He showed up despite having his wisdom teeth out the day before.

Alum08
04-12-2017, 11:47 AM
I loved this one because everyone was thinking in their heads, "Erroll, NOOOO!!!!"

https://youtu.be/656VKAK4P3k?t=75

CDC84
04-12-2017, 12:51 PM
2008 at Santa Clara. Somehow Lothar98zag and I managed to get seats behind the Ruff Riders at the Leavey Center. They were dang good seats (4 rows up), but we were scared for our lives because it looked like the Broncos were going to upset GU. You could feel the heat behind us. It was scary. Pargo turned the ball over with about 3 ticks left. Zags were down two. Then Big John Bryant threw a baseball pass 3/4 of the way down the court. When the ball arrived it got deflected and SCU guard Brody Angley, for some reason, collided with Steven Gray. He flat out fouled him. One of the dumbest plays I have ever seen. It happened right in front of us. Forward to the 2:16 mark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYSRSBui-uo

0.3 seconds left. Steven had to hit two foul shots to tie the game. After he hits the first one, look at the TV shot of Angley's mother in the stands. She looks like she has the worst case of constipation in the world. Then Steven hit the second one on a foul shot that went all over the rim to send the game into OT.

I couldn't believe it.

Then Austin Daye, who grew up about 8 miles from where I grew up as a kid (ask El Voce in heaven, it's always great when a "hometown guy" becomes a Zag basketball player) went completely crazy in OT, showing off just about every move in his arsenal. Probably one of his finest games as a Zag.

I loved the fact that two Zag freshmen did this in one of the loudest and craziest basketball environments I have ever been in.

After the game I spoke with Steve and told him that the play had happened just below me, and that he had saved my life from a Ruff Rider court storm. We might have gotten crushed. Seriously hurt.

ZAGduck
04-12-2017, 09:32 PM
Wins:
1. v Minnesota
2. v Stanford
3. The RUUUUNNER!
4. OK ST Morrison 3 pt bank shot BIS
5. Meech v WKy
6-10 Any WCC tourney final vs St Marys (except 2012)
11. WVa
12. Xavier
13. S Carolina
Losses (out of order):
1. UCONN
2. Steph Curry
3. Nevada Wolfpack
4. UCLA w/ Morrison
5. Morrison debut v St Joes at MSG
6. St Marys WCC championship 2012
7. Mich State @ Kennel
8. UNC this year

So glad memorable wins outnumber memorable losses.

ProVeeZag
04-12-2017, 10:14 PM
When the ball arrived it got deflected and SCU guard Brody Angley, for some reason, collided with Steven Gray. He flat out fouled him. One of the dumbest plays I have ever seen. It happened right in front of us. Forward to the 2:16 mark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYSRSBui-uo

0.3 seconds left. Steven had to hit two foul shots to tie the game. After he hits the first one, look at the TV shot of Angley's mother in the stands. She looks like she has the worst case of constipation in the world. Then Steven hit the second one on a foul shot that went all over the rim to send the game into OT.

Brody Angley's nightmare! Thanks for the clip...and the memory!

CodeCobalt
04-12-2017, 10:33 PM
I've never been able to score tickets to a zags game.... so I guess coming across AMMO as I was walking the centennial trail, or getting to see Olynyk's first game as a celtic.

TexasZagFan
04-13-2017, 04:54 AM
I've never been able to score tickets to a zags game.... so I guess coming across AMMO as I was walking the centennial trail, or getting to see Olynyk's first game as a celtic.

I've never set foot in the Kennel, last time I was in Spokane was 16 years ago. When I retire in 2-3 years, Spokane will be one of the destinations in my western travels.

If the Zags play within a day's drive of Dallas, we usually attend.

GoZags
04-13-2017, 05:41 AM
2. Final moments of the win in Nashville: "We are GU" resonated throughout the stands. Big D's performance at half time will never be forgotten. The entire trip was magical, my first road trip with my "three boys": two sons and grandson.

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?58561-OT-Grandson-of-TexasZagFan-quot-Behind-Enemy-Lines-quot

http://i925.photobucket.com/albums/ad93/tbkd1/IMG_4452_zpsdwakfcgw.jpg (http://s925.photobucket.com/user/tbkd1/media/IMG_4452_zpsdwakfcgw.jpg.html)

TexasZagFan
04-13-2017, 06:16 AM
http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?58561-OT-Grandson-of-TexasZagFan-quot-Behind-Enemy-Lines-quot

http://i925.photobucket.com/albums/ad93/tbkd1/IMG_4452_zpsdwakfcgw.jpg (http://s925.photobucket.com/user/tbkd1/media/IMG_4452_zpsdwakfcgw.jpg.html)

Thanks, GZ! Big D's 2 for 2 now: his favorite players over the past two years are Domas and Zach. I'm seeing a trend here...

He was as crushed as anybody when the horn sounded in the NC game.

There will be no need for the staff to exert any effort, should he be a Division I prospect (I know, that's way off in the future).

Martin Centre Mad Man
06-14-2018, 04:44 PM

Good on you Kitz!

My Campion residents retaliated by using a gigantic length of surgical tubing to create a slingshot that could hit DeSmet from our second floor balcony. They’d use three guys to pull it back the entire length of the hallway, then release a water balloon full of shaving cream. It took a lot of trial and error, but they managed to lob a couple of them into some open windows on DeSmet’s north side.

kitzbuel
06-19-2018, 03:41 PM

Good on you Kitz!

I did that too!! :D

bartruff1
06-19-2018, 07:10 PM
JFK giving a speech in the old gym....

bartruff1
06-20-2018, 08:45 AM
You kidding right ? My post to the effect that my greatest memory at GU...... was a speech in the old gym by JFK had to be moderated...

(I have no idea how this thread got marked for moderation - trying to figure that out - kitzbuel)

kitzbuel
06-20-2018, 02:50 PM
You kidding right ? My post to the effect that my greatest memory at GU...... was a speech in the old gym by JFK had to be moderated...

(I have no idea how this thread got marked for moderation - trying to figure that out - kitzbuel)
Threads in the Hall of Fame are put in an archive status to preserve them, changes have to be approved by an admin.