PDA

View Full Version : SU Trustees Vote to Pursue D-1

Angelo Roncalli
05-11-2007, 07:58 AM
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/6420AP_Seattle_U.html

El Voce
05-11-2007, 08:22 AM
I would really like to see Seattle U come back to D-1 and be readmitted to the WCC. SU would be a natural rival for Gonzaga, something we have lacked in the WCC.

A nine team league is cumbersome, but I believe there is some interest in having Pacific (an old league member) also readmitted. Three teams in the Northwest would make the league somewhat less California-centric.

It will probably not come to pass, though. It would require that the league be progressive and less insulated, but the WCC has shown little interest in 21st Century ideas.

UberZagFan
05-11-2007, 08:56 AM
El Voce: I too would like to see SU in the WCC, for purely selfish reasons. It would mean that WCC play would be only 30 minutes away instead of 2 1/2 hours or 5 hours away (and it would be a short cab ride from work for 229Sinto).

But there would be many downsides for GU, at least initially. The inclusion of SU would only lower the conference RPI. It would be very likely that SU would be in the worst 40-50 teams for several years. Also, it would mean two more games in Jan/Feb against poor competition and two less opportunities in Nov/Dec to schedule good opponents. Adding SU would also mean dividing up NCAA money with one more team that really has no chance of giving back in that area.

Even so, I say put them in the WCC.

BobZag
05-11-2007, 09:12 AM
It is appealing but I think for the health of the WCC it'd be best to have SU make the jump to D1, be independent for a while, hopefully knock off some D1 teams like Portland State, Sac State, etc., improve their team and their facilities, then consider SU for the WCC.

gamagin
05-11-2007, 09:49 AM
but if getting in requires a majority of WCC schools to go along, my guess is there are enough catholic schools already there to tip the scale in favor of SU if the powers-that-be wish it.

UberZagFan
05-11-2007, 02:16 PM
Was that the Pontiff that I heard about 30 minutes ago calling in to KJR defending the WCC's decision not to let SU in?

lothar98zag
05-11-2007, 02:51 PM
Was that the Pontiff that I heard about 30 minutes ago calling in to KJR defending the WCC's decision not to let SU in?
I thought the WCC only voted "NO" on expanding anytime in the near future...?

I agree for the most part what's been said here. Let SU be a struggling D-1 team outside the WCC and if they can get their act together - then let them apply to be in the WCC. At that point I'd be in favor of them joining.

Angelo Roncalli
05-11-2007, 02:51 PM
Yeah. Mark me down as a strong opponent of allowing SU in the WCC at this time, for bottomline reasons.

The notion that they can play in Key Arena is a pipe dream. You have to pay rent to the city to play in Key Arena--and when you do so, there's no revenue from concessions, parking, etc.

gamagin
05-11-2007, 04:01 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Coast_Conference

Angelo Roncalli
05-12-2007, 07:27 AM
Callerro has always been a big talker, but he gets the "welcome to Fantasy Island" award for this one:

Callero said every effort will be made to schedule as many of the Division I teams in the Northwest as possible.

"We'll try to do long-term relationships with the U-Dub, Gonzaga, WSU and Eastern, maybe playing them in KeyArena during the holidays every year," he said.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/cbasketball/315445_seattleu12.html

BobZag
05-12-2007, 09:02 AM
Callerro has always been a big talker, but he gets the "welcome to Fantasy Island" award for this one:

Callero said every effort will be made to schedule as many of the Division I teams in the Northwest as possible.

"We'll try to do long-term relationships with the U-Dub, Gonzaga, WSU and Eastern, maybe playing them in KeyArena during the holidays every year," he said.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/cbasketball/315445_seattleu12.html

I can't begrudge SU for giving D1 a go, but yeah, that's pie in the sky, not to mention a 40-point blowout. Aim a bit lower and they might see some success.