PDA

View Full Version : Just rewatched the Fiesta Bowl

TR11Zag
05-11-2007, 07:01 AM
Is this the best game in the last 5 years, 10 years?

Your thoughts?

RenoZag
05-11-2007, 02:57 PM
The morning of the game I broke my arm/elbow in four places. . .by the time the game came on, I was in a hospital bed doing some major painkillers. I thought the game was tremendous !!!

A few days later, I caught a replay on one of the Fox regional channels. Even without the morphine, it was still a great game.

Almost as good as the Joe Montana ND comeback in the 1979 Cotton Bowl. . .On a freakishly cold day in Dallas, an already flu-ridden Montana was forced to the locker room in the 3rd quarter in order to treat his hypothermia with chicken soup. He returned to the game to lead his team back from a 22-point 4th quarter deficit over the Houston Cougars, winning 35-34 on a touchdown pass with no time left. . .

But: To answer your question, TR, I think it was the best college game in the last ten years or so. Easily could be considered one of the Top 10 games of all time.

zagco
05-12-2007, 07:52 PM
I believe it was the best college football bowl game since the Miami-Nebraska tilt in 1983's Orange Bowl.

I own the DVD. Probably watched the whole game 10 times, and I watch the highlights with the Boise State radio substituted for the game audio at least once per day.

The hook and ladder is the play that amazes me. Perfect execution and Jerard Rabb turned on some jets that no one really knew he had--he was a 4.5 runner until that play. The game winning statue of liberty was a play Boise State ran before. The Vinnie Peretta halfback pass after sending the quarterback in motion was also a play the Broncos ran several times last year, although Vinnie never threw it.

brasszag
05-15-2007, 06:08 PM
Really one of the best games I've ever seen - though my favorite was the UofO-CU "Fiasco Bowl"

On one hand seeing Boise St. win it through sheer and flat out refusal to consider it done (until the clock was at 00:00) was amazing - and the Fiasco Bowl was the single most controlled destruction of a team I've ever seen.

Since I'm a Eugene-area native and my family has strong UofO ties they're about the only college team I root for. Though, since a guy I grew up with was the Boise St. Defensive Coordinator that was a certain personal connection to the Boise team.

Zag79
05-15-2007, 11:01 PM
excellent game. IMO it proves that anyone can beat anyone, and CFB needs a playoff too.

zagco
05-16-2007, 07:11 AM
You grew up with Dave Wilcox?

He really helped our defense become a lot more aggressive, yet still basically a bend-but-don't-break defense.

Boise State has an offensive coordinator that is about 37 years old and Wilcox is probably about 40, right? Of course, Wilcox has a couple very experienced assistants, and the offensive coordinator was Chris Petersen's right hand man before he became head coach.

brasszag
05-16-2007, 07:22 AM
You grew up with Dave Wilcox?

He really helped our defense become a lot more aggressive, yet still basically a bend-but-don't-break defense.

Boise State has an offensive coordinator that is about 37 years old and Wilcox is probably about 40, right? Of course, Wilcox has a couple very experienced assistants, and the offensive coordinator was Chris Petersen's right hand man before he became head coach.

Justin Wilcox. He's a year younger than I am (30). He's also a former standout UofO football player - like his brother Josh who was two years older than me, and who I competed against in track and field in HS.

http://www.broncosports.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=9900&KEY=&SPID=4061&SPSID=54307

Dave Wilcox is his father, and the NFL HoFer - and still retired as far as I know. Justin's a smart guy, and comes from a nice family. In the interests of clarification, I should say we weren't best buddies, but in a rural town of 3500 people everybody knows everybody and so there were always times up through middle school we'd be involved in the same activities and whatnot. There's only so much separation you'll have in a small pool of people like that.

zagco
05-17-2007, 06:52 AM
That's right, Justin. Crap, I knew he was young, but not THAT young. So Boise State has a roughly 30 year old defensive coordinator and a 38 year old offensive coordinator, and a head coach only a few years older than that. CRAP!

Justin Wilcox is a stud. That guy is going to make a big name for himself, at least on defense. The Broncos have an annual night where ladies pay like 50 bucks a pop to learn about football, and the coaches and several players speak, work them out, and show them various drills, plays, etc. It raises a ton of money. Anyhoo, Wilcox was mobbed at it this year. I think every lady in town, married or unmarried, thinks he's the best thing going.

I anxiously await the Boise State-Hawaii game this year, as Hawaii made some adjustments at halftime last year that nearly got them back into the game. That will be Wilcox's biggest challenge.

NJZag
05-20-2007, 06:13 AM
I anxiously await the Boise State-Hawaii game this year, as Hawaii made some adjustments at halftime last year that nearly got them back into the game. That will be Wilcox's biggest challenge.

New threads unveiled ...

http://media.idahostatesman.com/smedia/2007/05/18/15/810-Uniforms_blue.embedded.prod_affiliate.36.jpg

Happy game-watching, Zagco. :D