• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Angelo Roncalli
    Bleeds Bulldog Blue
    • Feb 2007

OT: Commencement Speakers of the WCC

OK, so I'm really bored. Here's the list of those giving inspiration and advice to 2007 graduates of WCC schools:

Gonzaga: Alan Mulally, CEO of Ford Motor Co., proud parent of a graduating senior
    Santa Clara: David Broder, Washington Post political columnist, author
    St. Mary's: Right Rev. John S. Cummins, Bishop of Oakland
    Pepperdine: Laura Bush, first lady, mother of Jenna
    San Diego: John Prendergast, author, advisor on African issues
    Portland: Right Rev. Archbishop John Foley, President, Pontifical Council for Social Communications
    San Francisco: Tommie Lindsey, Jr., teacher/author, educational activist
    Loyola Marymount, Erin Brockovich, former paralegal, environmental activist
    You have to love the Gonzaga fan. Not satisfied to be affronted merely by common hosings at the hands of ragtag referees, he plows all avenues of discontent. - John Blanchette

Gonzaga University...Home of the Zags...The Bulldogs. If you pronounce it "Gone Zaw Ga," they'll know you're not from here and they may charge you more for your coffee. - Garrison Keillor
  • RenoZag
    Super Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Commencement Speakers

In 1979, we had noted historian and academic Henry Steele Commager.

The worst delivered, most boring, least inspirational public speaker ever.
    He dug out some paper he had delivered at a seminar and pitched that.

Took at least 35 minutes and was only greeted by a barely audible clapping when he finally shut the ---- up after saying "thank you."

As I recall, the Class of 78 had Bob Hope and he did a great job, as one would expect.

As for the crop Angelo lists above, I think Broder might be worth listening to.
    The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

• jbslicer
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

Does GU still give out about 800 honorary doctors of this and that?

Comment

• NJZag
        Professional Zag Fan
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Angelo Roncalli View Post
        OK, so I'm really bored. Here's the list of those giving inspiration and advice to 2007 graduates of WCC schools:

Pepperdine: Laura Bush, first lady, mother of Jenna
        Also mother of the other twin, once part of the "Jenna & Tonic" moniker. But neither of them attended Pepperdine, did they?

News about her appearance at commencement, where she is the third Bush family member to deliver an address at that University.

First Lady Laura Bush had a hard act to follow Saturday when she delivered the commencement speech at Pepperdine University's graduation ceremony.

The First Lady concluded her speech by reflecting on the Pepperdine motto, “Freely ye received, freely give,” and she challenged the graduating seniors to live their lives accordingly.

“Class of 2007,” she said, You’ve received the blessings of your time at Pepperdine. Now it’s time to freely give. Use your talent and energy to make a better world for people throughout our country and across the globe. You’ll find happiness along the way.”

Other news reports mentioned that she had done her homework about campus life, famous (and infamous) classes and professors, local hangouts -- with jokes about those things well-received -- and was able to invoke the names of students and recent grads doing "good works" both in the U.S. and abroad. A campus could probably "do worse" for a speaker. And in mentioning Africa, she would have drawn on some semi-recent experiences since she was the U.S. "representative" to Liberia's installation of the first woman president of an African nation a little over a year ago -- stopping off in a neighboring country and asking to meet its Peace Corps volunteers. Among the vols she met on that occasion would have been Gonzaga University's Paul Sari (GU Class of '05).

Comment

• OutHouseZag
          Redshirt
          • Feb 2007

In 1989 our speaker was Lou Holtz. He was outstanding. Very inspirational, which I guess is what you look for in a commencement speaker - or football coach.

Comment

• BobZag
            Dark Lord of the Zag
            • Jan 2007

2008 CG Grant Gibbs from Iowa

Brockovich looks to be the most entertaining, with a never-give-up underdog story to relay.
            The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Comment

• BoltZag
              Kennel Club Material
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by NJZag View Post
              Other news reports mentioned that she had done her homework about campus life, famous (and infamous) classes and professors, local hangouts -- with jokes about those things well-received.
              More likely that the member of the First Lady's staff who wrote the speech probably also did the homework.

Comment

• englishzag
                Bulldog Fan
                • Feb 2007

The worst

1994 we had Cokie Roberts. She started with a tasteless joke about Jesuits and it went downhill from there. That and the fact it was at the Boone Street Barn and lasted 48 hours was a little disappointing.

Comment

• NJZag
                  Professional Zag Fan
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by BoltZag View Post
                  More likely that the member of the First Lady's staff who wrote the speech probably also did the homework.
                  Quite possible, but the family has been well represented at Pepperdine commencements over the years. Dubya as a Texas gov, First Mother-In-Law Barbara when she was still First Lady, now Laura. Someone might belong to Church of Christ in that family somewhere, maybe???

Comment

• TexasZagFan
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

I have no recollection of our commencement speaker in 1976, except that he was a business executive.

I was a bit hungover from the previous day's post-commissioning party, so my attention span was limited, as well.

I do remember the commissioning ceremony: while we were taking the oath of office, a streaker made a mad dash through the Quad. We heard the commotion, but being good soldiers, we kept our eyes front and center!

Comment

• Shanachie
                      Kennel Club
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by englishzag View Post
                      1994 we had Cokie Roberts. She started with a tasteless joke about Jesuits and it went downhill from there. That and the fact it was at the Boone Street Barn and lasted 48 hours was a little disappointing.
                      I was there in '94 since my girlfriend was graduating, but I have no memory of the tasteless joke or anything else about her speech. My impression at the time, though, was that it was better than the one given at my own ceremony the year before. That one was by a social activist nun whose name I don't remember. I think she was an interesting and admirable person with a good message, but the thing that I remember was feeling more guilty than inspired by her speech.

Comment

• Spike94
                        Kennel Club
                        • Feb 2007

94 was horrible

I have to put my two cents in about 94. I remember people around me and myself very suprised that she made that joke. I also remember that her speach was very anti-Chrisian values. I also have to agree that it took forever in an unairconditioned arena. I actually went up and sat with my folks toward the end.

Comment

• Angelo Roncalli
                          Bleeds Bulldog Blue
                          • Feb 2007

As Reno mentioned, my class in '78 had Bob Hope (it was during that school year that Bing had passed away). We had commencement at the old Spokane Coliseum and they played "Thanks for the Memories" during the procession instead of Pomp and Circumstance.

When my little sister graduated about 10 years later, Lou Holtz was the the speaker.
                          You have to love the Gonzaga fan. Not satisfied to be affronted merely by common hosings at the hands of ragtag referees, he plows all avenues of discontent. - John Blanchette

Gonzaga University...Home of the Zags...The Bulldogs. If you pronounce it "Gone Zaw Ga," they'll know you're not from here and they may charge you more for your coffee. - Garrison Keillor

Comment

• lothar98zag
                            PostPadder General
                            • Feb 2007

I graduated in May 98.

No clue who spoke at my ceremony.

That is all.
                            youtube - "The Runner"

Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2013

Dumbing down the internet, one post at a time

Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2011

Comment

• SLOZag
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

It Coulda Been Worse

For those who begrudge their commencement speakers, consider this:

In 1969 my commencement speaker (at the USAF Academy) was Richard Nixon, who took the occasion to advise this new crop of Air Force officers that the US would "officially" start bombing to Laos and Cambodia (after having done so for months and denying it). Mighty inspirational, I'll tellya.
                              SLOZag
                              "Kids come here to better their own lives, not ours. If you take a player’s failures as a personal affront…. check yourself." - Chick-Stratino'sUrDaddy

Comment

Working...
                              X