PDA

View Full Version : June 30 Update on Kevin Pangos

BobZag
06-30-2010, 10:00 AM
With a Michigan slant--

http://rivalshoops.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1099015

"Gonzaga and Cincinnati and again, Michigan, are the top three that have been the most active, and they've all offered," he said. "A number of schools have called recently, but most have not seen him play and have only heard about him, maybe saw a DVD. UNLV has been a lot more aggressive, Virginia e-mailed today Oregon is on board, Temple, Arizona, UCLA, Stanford. Every one of them is intriguing."

Timetable, meanwhile, could depend on one factor more than any other - whether Pangos decides to come out following the 2011 year or prep and come back as a 2012. The discussion continues in the Pangos household, and whereas Bill seemed convinced at one point that '11 was the way to go, Kevin has countered with good arguments for waiting a year.

"I can't give you an honest answer what he'll do yet," Bill Pangos said. " We hope to have that decision made by the end of summer or early fall. We're not exactly on the same page, but he has some good merits on why he might want to wait. He is going to graduate here in 2011, but there are only three options in my mind. One is prep school for a year, the second one is he redshirts for a year, and the last is he comes out this year and has a four-year playing career.

"He has some good points, though, and I have to listen to them. [Grassroots Canada point guard] Myck Kybongo is the same year Kevin is in theory, but he's one year older than Kevin. Kevin will point out that all of those guys - Cory Joseph is another one -- have prepped and bought them selves one extra year, in theory, in terms of being physically ready. I think he's in great shape, which I think suits playing right away, but he sees that one year of extra training."

Jakester425
06-30-2010, 10:10 AM
Interesting...back in April there were many on here claiming he already decided to be a 2011. Looks like thats not the case. How it looks right now wouldnt it be better for us if he decided to be a 2012?

BobZag
06-30-2010, 10:31 AM
My best guess is, if Kevin chose Gonzaga and wanted to redshirt, the staff would have no problem with that. If Kevin finds out he is "college ready" during the course of practice and exhibitions, the staff would be open to him playing right away. Either way, it's good. Whatever Kevin wishes, you have to respect that.

LynetteG
06-30-2010, 11:00 AM
Interestingly enough, there's not much mention at all on the UM board about him. I'll ask Jordy what he's heard, probably not much either, though.

BobZag
06-30-2010, 11:10 AM
Gonzaga has coaching stability on its side. Few is here to stay.

That can't be said of Cronin at Cincy or Beilein at Michigan. I think NIT has been their best seasons thus far. Alums there will grow tired of that...soon.

Reborn
06-30-2010, 11:12 AM
I think it would help the Zags if he came out in 2012. It would give us an extra schollie. If he red shirts I think we have to give him a scholarship don't we? We will be losing two point guards in 2012 so Pangos could move right in to be the starting point guard.

cjm720
06-30-2010, 11:40 AM
Sign and lock him early and let him RS or play.

He would benefit from a year of practicing with Meech, Carter, Hyland, Draganis, Bell, etc. and we could stagger the talent (if RS).

Go Zags!!!

ZagMania
06-30-2010, 12:17 PM
If he goes the prep school route that also means another year for other schools to scout him and make offers, no? He could potentially blow up and that extra year could negate our early interest some?

I'd like to see him go 2011 and redshirt here if he feels the need to. 13 players is too many to compete for playing time anyways, I think it helps team chemistry when you don't have too many players looking at the coach for minutes.

AzZag
06-30-2010, 12:33 PM
Interestingly enough, there's not much mention at all on the UM board about him. I'll ask Jordy what he's heard, probably not much either, though.

Their basketball forum is weak to say the LEAST. I have been an inside member or whatever it is called on both Michigan and Rivals. It is kind of sad really that Michigan hoops take back seat to the football team in a major way, but it is what it is.

Player
06-30-2010, 02:37 PM
FYI: UMichigan recruiting staff are on their way to Germany FIBA to catch Pangos and Willms practice/play

BobZag
06-30-2010, 02:49 PM
FYI: UMichigan recruiting staff are on their way to Germany FIBA to catch Pangos and Willms practice/play

So is Gonzaga assistant Tommy Lloyd.

ZagNative
06-30-2010, 02:58 PM
FYI: UMichigan recruiting staff are on their way to Germany FIBA to catch Pangos and Willms practice/playInteresting. I wonder if Gonzaga staff will be there too. It's during the NCAA allowable evaluation period, and it would sure seem like a good time to see some good european talent, as well as watch Pangos, Notice, and the other Canadian kids.

The German Senior Men's team also has it on their schedules to be in Hamburg to support the German U17's on the 10th and 11th, when the Semis and Finals take place, so Gonzaga staff could touch bases with Elias and with Coach Bauermann as well.

Edited to add: See what happens when you stop mid-post to put in a load of laundry? BZ takes the "wonder if" out of it.

LynetteG
06-30-2010, 03:14 PM
Gonzaga has coaching stability on its side. Few is here to stay.

That can't be said of Cronin at Cincy or Beilein at Michigan. I think NIT has been their best seasons thus far. Alums there will grow tired of that...soon.

Michigan went to the dance March 09 and I believe advanced to the 2nd round.

ZagInTexas
06-30-2010, 04:23 PM
So is Gonzaga assistant Tommy Lloyd.

Go get 'em Tommy!

LynetteG
06-30-2010, 07:03 PM
It is kind of sad really that Michigan hoops take back seat to the football team in a major way, but it is what it is.

not kinda, but truly sad. and the even sadder thing is that their football is majorly sucking right now. they need to really get rid of RR and right that ship!

OZZY
06-30-2010, 09:07 PM
I am not concerned about delays. IMO the longer the decision making process in my mind the better chance that the Zags will be in front. The coaching staff stability, the school size, the Guard U philosophy and the Canadian national team angles are all very important factors in this process. Stay tuned.

LynetteG
07-01-2010, 09:15 AM
Well, this will hurt Michigan's chance at Pangos, as Beilein dismissed their only returning player to have significant minutes, senior Laval Lucas Perry. They only have 4 returning players with any D1 minutes at all. JB has cleaned house over there after the season, all three assistant coaches are gone and replaced with new ones, and they had a player leave for the NBA (and was not drafted). Who would want to play in this type of turmoil? This is JBs 4th year, I suspect if something significant does not happen this year or next, he is gone.

dim4sum
07-01-2010, 03:03 PM
Im confused. What precisely does the word prep school mean these days? Way back when I remember a prep school as being a snooty high tuition high school where kids prepped for entrance to Harvard or Yale. I'm talking prep schools like Andover and Exeter,etc.
Nowadays, I don't know. Is it a school where kids go to make up grades and are they going to prep school in lieu of their senior year in high school?
Or is it like a community college, where you go in lieu of your first year in college? Or is just another dumbed down diploma mill where you play basketball in lieu of going to class and they take care of the trivialities like SAT tests or having to go to class.
I think Pangos would be above all this.

OZZY
07-04-2010, 03:33 PM
Another tidbit from a U of M site, Cincinatti have supposedly got a verbal from a 2011 point guard.

http://www.umhoops.com/2010/06/30/recruiting-bullets-2/comment-page-1/

This may improve Gonzaga's chances with Kevin. It is interesting how he has been offered, yet some Gonzaga fans don't even consider him a prospect...........

LynetteG
07-04-2010, 03:43 PM
It is interesting how he has been offered, yet some Gonzaga fans don't even consider him a prospect...........

do you mean Michigan?? I think Gonzaga fans consider him a definite prospect.

OZZY
07-04-2010, 04:35 PM
do you mean Michigan?? I think Gonzaga fans consider him a definite prospect.

Some other sites professing love and knowledge of Gonzaga basketball...............Still have Kingma listed and not Kevin.

LynetteG
07-04-2010, 05:45 PM
Some other sites professing love and knowledge of Gonzaga basketball...............Still have Kingma listed and not Kevin.

ah! but you know all of the Gonzaga fans are here, no where else! ;)