• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sittingon50
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Need recommendations

This seems to be a real slow time for MBB news & I'm bored. Can any of you recommend other fan sites for other teams that possess these 3 characteristics:
    1. Free
    2. Intelligent conversation
    3. Decorum

If so, a link would be appreciated. Thanks.
    But we don't play nobody.
  • BobZag
    Dark Lord of the Zag
    • Jan 2007

The definitive source for all Arizona news.

It's the only other board I visit. They recruit some of the same guys and it's West Coast.
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Comment

50 -- The St. Mary's site isn't real active, but pretty much fulfills your requirements. Though they love to beat the Zags, most of the posters are not violently anti-Zag. I have posted there several times, and have never been flamed. I have met several of their active posters, and they are good guys.

Comment

• ZagNative
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

I personally am addicted to Phognet, the Kansas board. It is free, but you can't even view the contents of a thread unless you are registered. Registration is free and pretty easy.

Not sure about the "Decorum" part. It's pretty irreverent and posters can be brutal, but mostly, it is, to me, smart, witty, and informative. If you want to know the latest dirt on Illinois, Kansas State, Duke, NC, and Missouri, Phognet will definitely keep you up to date.

For me, a session on Phognet is not a success unless I bust out laughing at least once.

Here's the link: Phognet

To test your tolerance for the board "decorum," you might start with one of the threads that made me howl: Border Wars

The Border Wars thread starts out with a post by a Missouri fan named Togger of a picture of an adorable little baby clad in Kansas colors, with the title "Border Wars," but no explanatory text. The next poster says, "¿Qué?" Third poster says, "I think he's referring to the old, "revered" tradition of missery bushwackers shooting live babies and toddlers out of cannons at the Abolitionist Kansans. Slavers sure are a bunch of bitter motherf*ckers."

Other posts I liked on the Border Wars thread, "I have been trading barbs with toger for years, but I have no idea where he is coming form with this post.. I have to conclude he has lost what few marbles he had left, or the Feds busted his meth lab..." or "I suspect that Toger is pointing out the MU is on track to win the Border War this year, due to the fact that our women's teams peed down their leg this past week: softball, tennis and golf went 0-9 and we are now down 22-12 in the overall points standings. Thanks, Ladies!"

Would that last one get deleted on the GU board? Probably, and the world would be poorer for it.

Comment

• Ole Roy
          Bulldog Fan
          • Feb 2007

Info

Just put CollegeSportsInfo.com in your favorites. Index has nearly all college
          sites on there.

Comment

• BobZag
            Dark Lord of the Zag
            • Jan 2007

Originally posted by MJGoGaels
            I come over and lurk when able so please send me an email here or over at www.GodisaGael.com. Peace and here's hoping the summer fishing is good to take your mind off of b-ball. Look for a little more news to come for the Gaels...
            You tease. And I thought Mountjoy was the rascal.

Comment

• BobZag
              Dark Lord of the Zag
              • Jan 2007

Pepp caught a keeper today

This PG just committed to the Waves:

Paul McCoy, 6-1 JR PG Portland (Ore.) Grant. McCoy is a very intriguing prospect. He’s got a great body – strong frame, long arms – and good quickness. He can get in the lane seemingly at will and he’s got a pretty decent shot to 19-20 feet. However, he’s definitely more of a shoot-first guy than a distributing point guard. His decision-making is very shaky and he needs to learn how to make plays for his teammates. He can get out of control, at times, and he tries to get to the rim every time, rather than pulling up for a mid-range shot or kicking it out to a teammate. But you don’t find a lot of guys with his physical attributes and skill level, so I could see him getting plenty of attention from mid majors. High majors could be a possibility if he can learn how to play the position of point guard.

Comment

• NJZag
                Professional Zag Fan
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by sittingon50 View Post
                This seems to be a real slow time for MBB news & I'm bored. Can any of you recommend other fan sites for other teams that possess these 3 characteristics:
                1. Free
                2. Intelligent conversation
                3. Decorum

If so, a link would be appreciated. Thanks.
                My 'pet favorite" for covering another team of interest and some Big East hoops in general:

Extensive selection of high-quality domain names. Knowledgeable, friendly customer support.

First board is all about the hoops. (There's currently a rumor on there that a reserve named Octavius Spann is transferring to Oregon or -- maybe? -- to a college in Oregon. Interesting.) Other Boards such as Blue & Grey (politics) and 38th & O (alumni topics) are kind of like our Online Crosby Center etc. There's no "Foo" but sometimes there are memorable threads. Like the classic about a Ballroom Dancing half-time show which pitted a pregnant alum (Suzi Hoya) who thought the show was awful against a board member (YB) who turned out to be the organizer and instructor of the Ballroom Dancing club.

It was on its way to becoming longest-thread-ever on the hoops board, meandered into more topics than the expression "everything but the kitchen sink" covers, got moved to the Blue&Gray for that reason, and kept on raging until it got locked.

Dan McQuade up in Boston and DFW keep the decorum aspect under control as moderators. DFW is John, a Georgetown alum in Dallas Fort Worth who is the BZ-equivalent in sponsoring the board and, in fact, he was contacted and provided us with some information as this Zags board was planning to migrate away from Scout.com. Dan's daughter (senior in h.s. this year) was out in the Bay Area last fall, checking out the three Jesuit WCC schools.

Our own "GoZags" has had a "rumble" over there with that Board's "Mr. Truculent" -- a poster named RFD. (hahaha ... remember that one, GZ?) It was at a time when GU-West was doing well, and GU-East was a very baaaaad team, which was a very sore topic. And I think that their rumble devolved to a point when each was claiming the sole right to use the initials "GU" to identify a university, with the respective dates of founding (1789 vs. 1889) not resolving the matter.

And Hondo befriended NevadaHoya at a Zags game in Las Vegas.

Final tidbits: Some of the HoyaTalk posters had Fr. Spitzer as a professor when he taught at Georgetown. A few of the fans of the two schools would love to see a GU v. GU series of games get scheduled.

Comment

• LongIslandZagFan
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by NJZag View Post
                  My 'pet favorite" for covering another team of interest and some Big East hoops in general:

Extensive selection of high-quality domain names. Knowledgeable, friendly customer support.

NJ shilling the Hoya board... big shock.

I'd shill Redmen.com but it doesn't meet any of the above rules and it is a very closed board.
                  "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Comment

• NJZag
                    Professional Zag Fan
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
                    NJ shilling the Hoya board... big shock.

I'd shill Redmen.com but it doesn't meet any of the above rules and it is a very closed board.

Those are rabble-rousing NewYorker in-yer-face people on Redmen, LIZF. It scares me just to know there are such places on the Internet.

Comment

Working...
                    X