PDA

View Full Version : Matt signs with Bulls!

Radbooks
06-24-2010, 10:05 PM
According to the Spokesman (http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2010/jun/24/bouldin-gets-shot-bulls/):

Former Gonzaga guard Matt Bouldin didn’t hear his name called during the NBA draft on Thursday, but there was plenty of activity behind the scenes.

Late in the second round, Chicago Bulls executive vice president of basketball operations John Paxson phoned Stu Lash, Bouldin’s agent.

“They were very excited Matt was available to them and for John to call at the tail end of the draft is a strong indication of how they value Matt,” Lash said.

Lash said Bouldin has agreed to a free-agent contract and will join Chicago’s summer league team. The Bulls’ first summer league game is July 13 in Las Vegas.

I think this is a great place for him!!!

2wiceright
06-24-2010, 10:35 PM
Great article, excellent news for Matt!!! I sure didn't see this coming but I was sure keeping my fingers crossed! Good job Matty...:D

zagnut2012
06-25-2010, 04:04 AM
Congratulations Matty B. We know you will make the Zag Nation proud!

Zagnut 2012

Zagpower
06-25-2010, 05:07 AM
Incredible opportunity for Matt!

The Bulls and the Heat were the big news during the draft for dumping players, salaries etc to make room to try and sign two of the big Free Agents like LBJ, Bosch, Joe Johnson etc.

What a great opportunity to make a team.

gozagswoohoo
06-25-2010, 05:45 AM
P...m...t...a!!!!!!!

kitzbuel
06-25-2010, 06:18 AM
Great opportunity with Heinrich being traded.

zagfan24
06-25-2010, 06:22 AM
Excellent news! I live in Milwaukee and travel frequently to Chicago...this will definitely make for several trips to the United Center if he can make the roster. Congrats Matt!

LongIslandZagFan
06-25-2010, 06:35 AM
Yeah... that move made me scratch my head yesterday. Not necessarily selling their souls to get LBJ but they gave up a good outside shooter and perhaps one of their best perimeter defenders.

I suspect that LBJ will go Miami or NY or stay in Cleavland rather than go to the Bulls as I think he'd hate constantly being compared to MJ.

Reborn
06-25-2010, 07:04 AM
Congratulation to Matt Bouldin. I love his attitude, There are different roads to the nba. When you think about who get's drafted in the later part of the 2nd round it's no surprise Matt didn't get drafted, and Chicago didn't have a 2nd round pick. Look at how many foreigners got drafted late in the 2nd round who won't even be on the teams that drafted them for a few year. This was the same tendency last year.

Chicago is one of the best places that Matt could have landed, the better ball players he gets to play with the better he will be. Matt is not a selfish, self-centered person. He is a team player who can handle the ball, pass, and is an adequate shooter. I also think Matt is a winner. I have always loved his unselfishness. He does what is best for the team. The NBA could use more guys like Matt Bouldin. I'm glad to see that Chicago thinks the same way. It will be up to Matt now, and I think he'll do great this summer. He's ready, imo. I am anxious to follow him this summer. And I'm anxious to see who Chicago picks up between now and July 13th. This is going to be fun to watch.

007Zag
06-25-2010, 08:01 AM
How does this work? Don't other teams with picks in the draft still have the right to pick him before he is offered a contract by another team? Otherwise what is the point of the draft? Couldn't any team have just offered John Wall, or does it have to happen after the first round is over, under the guaranteed minimum for first round picks?

webspinnre
06-25-2010, 08:06 AM
How does this work? Don't other teams with picks in the draft still have the right to pick him before he is offered a contract by another team? Otherwise what is the point of the draft? Couldn't any team have just offered John Wall, or does it have to happen after the first round is over, under the guaranteed minimum for first round picks?

It works because they wanted to be the first ones on him in case he wasn't picked. If he had been picked, they would've been out of luck. Basically the call during the 2nd round was to express interest, letting him know that they'd like to sign him as soon as the draft was over, so as to preclude other teams from getting him.

gozagswoohoo
06-25-2010, 08:09 AM
I don't guess we have any idea how much $$ he was signed for? Deals like this are probably fairly small, wouldn't you think? Since it's only for the summer camp initially?

Zagpower
06-25-2010, 08:12 AM
Minimum is around 500K I think.

MickMick
06-25-2010, 08:28 AM
Minimum is around 500K I think.

I nice head start on life. Certainly much better than my start.

With the head on his shoulders, he is going to be just fine.

229SintoZag
06-25-2010, 08:33 AM
He has to make the team first, I believe, before he will be signing any significant contract. Being a summer league invitee is not the same as making an NBA roster in the fall.

This is also true for those drafted in the second round--they are not guaranteed any money until they make a roster, unlike those drafted in the first round.

MickMick
06-25-2010, 09:01 AM
He has to make the team first, I believe, before he will be signing any significant contract. Being a summer league invitee is not the same as making an NBA roster in the fall.

This is also true for those drafted in the second round--they are not guaranteed any money until they make a roster, unlike those drafted in the first round.

So they receive no money for playing in "D" league?

Jyz
06-25-2010, 09:07 AM
DLeague is way less money. I'm not sure but you can crossout a zero.

Gonzdb8
06-25-2010, 09:08 AM
Yeah... that move made me scratch my head yesterday. Not necessarily selling their souls to get LBJ but they gave up a good outside shooter and perhaps one of their best perimeter defenders.

I suspect that LBJ will go Miami or NY or stay in Cleavland rather than go to the Bulls as I think he'd hate constantly being compared to MJ.

not sure i'd characterize the move as a head scratcher. hinrich has never lived up to his potential and has proven to be a wildly erratic shooter he's got an ugly contract and with this particular FA class it makes sense that they want as much flexibility as possible. i think they have as much chance to land LBJ as NY. i could be wrong but i'd be suprised to see him resign with the Cavs. but back to hinrich, i thought this was a good analogy from a bulls fan:

Every year, I take a look at Kirk Hinrich’s production and I think, “damn, this kid’s gonna go on a tear and make the All-Star team.”

He was a shooter at Kansas and that helps me rationalize his erratic shooting from the field. I always think, “Kirk’s off tonight.” But when that thoughts pops into my head two nights out of five, it gives me some cognitive dissonance.

My off-season relationship with Kirk Hinrich is much like my relationship with cigars. Every now and then, I think it’s a great idea to smoke a cigar. I go out and buy the cigar and look at it, anticipating a fantastic time. And then I smoke it.

“Wow; this was a bad idea,” I finally decide. I make a mental note to never again buy cigars.

Four months later, the cycle starts a new.

cbbfanatic
06-25-2010, 09:12 AM
Bouldin won't play in the D league. If he doesn't get a roster spot somewhere, he will probably go to europe - I would guess.

And for perspective, summer league teams are full rosters full of first, second, sometimes 3rd year guys that are all trying to make teams, outside the first round picks. Its not like they all, or even the majority, get contracts (I'd actually like to know the pct on this). Its basically an extended tryout process.

Bouldin seems like the kind of kid that would flourish in this setting - smart, savvy, experienced player. I'd be surprised if he doesn't catch on somewhere for next year - and chicago is a great situation as they're going to need end of bench, minimum contract "good" guys to balance out the 2 max contract FA's (of which I think one will be lebron) and rose/noah.

Maybe bouldin can rack up some rings like morrison...

duper
06-25-2010, 09:17 AM
It is basically the same thing that happened to to both Aaron Baynes and Taylor Rodchestie out of WSU last yr. They signed, played summer league and then went off to Europe. At least with regards to Rodchestie the Lakers retained his rights so he will probably be back on their summer league team this yr.

I'm not sure if it still works the same way, but it used to be if an NBA team had your rights but you didn't make the roster they would help you find the best place to play to develope your game(Europe, D league ect..) Either way this is a great opertunity for Matt and he should be very excited about the effort the bulls made to ensure they got him.

Snagglezag
06-25-2010, 09:55 AM
Here is a Bouldin discussion on a Bulls forum. Mostly mixed, but there is a significant appreciation for Matt's strengths.

http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1023617

U Zig, I Zag
06-25-2010, 10:55 AM
Here is a Bouldin discussion on a Bulls forum. Mostly mixed, but there is a significant appreciation for Matt's strengths.

http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1023617

They post an analysis of Matt and one of the negatives was 'doughy in the middle' - He isn't skinny, that's for sure - but I would say he lean towards ripped as opposed to doughy...

gamagin
06-25-2010, 11:12 AM
here's hoping he finds a slot.

I read through the comments at this site and came across one that said:

"I hope this works out so we can get rid of Pargo."

Pleasant Peninsula
06-25-2010, 11:14 AM
Which, of course, refers to Jannero Pargo.

LynetteG
06-25-2010, 11:36 AM
this was one of my fave quotes:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: Bulls Sign Matt Bouldin (Gonzaga)
by drosEshe on Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:51 am

can we bring in ADAM morrison who can shoot outside? we need 3pt shooter

LynetteG
06-25-2010, 11:38 AM
They post an analysis of Matt and one of the negatives was 'doughy in the middle' - He isn't skinny, that's for sure - but I would say he lean towards ripped as opposed to doughy...

that was an ESPN analysis, nothing from anyone on that board.

Ekrub
06-25-2010, 12:25 PM
My favorite quote was

"Did we just sign Noah's dealer?"

gamagin
06-25-2010, 12:33 PM
says it all . . .

Chicago in a week.

about 16 hours ago via UberTwitter

MickMick
06-25-2010, 01:08 PM
that was an ESPN analysis, nothing from anyone on that board.

Far from a "doughboy".

Obviously, some folks haven't taken a good look at him.

ZagNative
06-25-2010, 03:27 PM
I thought this was an interesting piece, from the Miami Herald (http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/06/25/1700658/nba-draft-2010-top-undrafted-players.html). Excerpts:
NBA Draft 2010: Top undrafted players
By John McMullen, Sports Network

Back when I used to cover the NFL Draft, the seventh round was almost like a four-letter word to the various agents around the league.

The odds of making a club when taken in the final round are slim, so most representatives wanted their client to be passed over so they could sit back, survey things and cherry-pick the most desirable landing spot.

An agent for a borderline NBA player will tell you the same thing -- that once a certain number passes, not getting drafted is a better option since you can pick and choose where to go.

If you are a monster on the glass, look for a team that needs rebounding. If you can shoot the ball, explore teams that need help from the perimeter. If your calling card is defense, give Gregg Popovich or Larry Brown a call.

That said, for aspiring professional players, the draft is akin to Christmas Day. They all know being picked guarantees virtually nothing, but it's an ego thing and a great story to tell the grandchildren.

To a man, every player with whom I've ever dealt channels Cheap Trick, and wants to be wanted. They all would rather be selected, even if it plays against their long-term chances of actually making a roster.

This year was certainly no different and a host of solid, draft-eligible players failed to get the phone call they desperately wanted Thursday night.

Here's my list of the best players that didn't have David Stern and Adam Silver scurrying for the pronunciation guide:
2. - Matt Bouldin - Combo Guard (Gonzaga) - I thought the versatile Bouldin should have been a mid second-round pick but his shaggy hair must have scared off some NBA execs. Bouldin's agent, Stu Lash, has confirmed the combo guard agreed to a free-agent contract with Chicago and will join the Bulls' summer league team.There are others listed in that piece that are interesting as well.

Xin Loi 67
06-25-2010, 06:37 PM

Whoever said Matt was doughy, is flat out of there minds or without their sight. 3% BF and in the best shape I've ever seen him in. Really "doughy," give me a break. Matt T. has never been out of shape even when his leg went bad he never gained a pound that wasn't muscle. What people don't know and are still able to conjecture up is amazing. Look for good things to come. The Bulls are probably his best fit and believe this, they like him alot and are very happy to sign him..... jb

webspinnre
06-25-2010, 08:17 PM
Yeah, I think they're confusing doughy with thick. Because he's definitely thick. Omar his junior year is doughy.

IowaZag
06-26-2010, 08:07 AM
Matt gets a mention in a Chicago Tribune story today about the Bulls' pursuit of LeBron and Chris Bosh in free agency.

"There's no way to know what will happen," Forman said. "We're prepared for all different scenarios."

That includes filling out the roster with minimum-salaried types like Rob Kurz and Joe Alexander if they land two major free agents. Heck, even undrafted Gonzaga product Matt Bouldin, whom the Bulls signed to their summer-league team Friday, has a shot.

Reborn
06-26-2010, 09:15 AM
Matt has definitely got a shot. A good shot at making it in the NBA. Chicago would be a great place for him.

RockandRollJames
06-26-2010, 09:30 AM
Incredible opportunity for Matt!

The Bulls and the Heat were the big news during the draft for dumping players, salaries etc to make room to try and sign two of the big Free Agents like LBJ, Bosch, Joe Johnson etc.

What a great opportunity to make a team.

It looks like the Bulls were dumping players,salaries to make room for Matt. ;)

nonzagzag
06-26-2010, 09:39 AM
Rose, Bouldin, Lebron, Bosh, Noah

pretty good starting line-up!

MickMick
06-27-2010, 02:42 PM
The rumors are starting to heat up about Lebron and Bosh to the Bulls.

If true, the fact that the Bulls will have little salary space left over makes for a possible opening for Matt.

Unless some other players come into the fold (at that salary range), it looks like Matt might battle it out with John Scheyer and Sherron Collins for the final spot.

I like Matt in this scenario. He has the size/strength advantage of the group and he was the Bull's first free agent signed post draft (Which means they had an eye for him early). Seems like this was part of an overall strategy to begin with. Perhaps not with Bouldin specifically, but bringing in a few players like Matt to compete for a spot or two.

He just might make it. He must really impress this summer to nail the spot down.

Edit:

Sherron Collins has signed with the Bobcats, John Scheyer is supposedly signing with the Wizards. I dunno who the low priced guards are gonna be to compete with Matt, but they will likely bring in someone.