PDA

View Full Version : Matty B. drafted or not

GodZaga76
06-23-2010, 06:52 PM
So as we all know you really can't count on what mock drafts say when it comes down to the late part of round 2. So what does everybody think will Matt get drafted late in the second. I will take a chance and say some team will also take a chance and take him.

jazzdelmar
06-23-2010, 06:58 PM
not a chance....

LynetteG
06-23-2010, 07:01 PM
I am trying to be optimistic and saying yes, drafted.

Reborn
06-23-2010, 07:06 PM
Matt is about in the same place that Josh Heytvelt was in last year. I think Matt is going to get picked though. Here is why. Matt has a very high basketball IQ. This is an important quality in a guard. It means that Matt is going to play better when he plays with better players. He is a great passer, and a decent shooter. His passing ability will be his strenth, and then his rebounder. Josh is really good. Matt is bettter. He has excellent size to play at the next level. I also think he is a quality guy, and his past is not tainted as was Josh's. Josh's past had a big part in his not being drafted. I think Matt will be a good pro too.

I am so excited for tomorrow night. I want to see his name get called.

MDABE80
06-23-2010, 07:14 PM
Josh's past games had a big part. Can't be serious about big man who doesn't rebound and work hard. Speaks to nothing other than motivation. Also though Josh, in his last college game did another "no show" with ZERO rebounds against UNC on National TV. Nearly impossible to draft that.

Matt will go late 2nd round with luck. He tailed off the end of the season. Much depends on how well he did in the invitations to various teams. One thing with Matt: he's always worked hard and did his best..even when injured. He has talent, guts and shoots well. Big guard who has good handles. Only thing is that his lateral movement is slower than some would worship.

I dunno when athleticism counts more than being a smart player who works hard and wins because his IQ is good and improves his teammates. If that still counts, Matt should be in. Hate to hire a super athlete who is lazy and doesn't focus on his teammates.

jimmycarter
06-23-2010, 07:41 PM
With the "state of the game" as it is, where teams value potential over experience, athleticism over IQ, length and "bounce" over shooting touch and "intangibles"...it does not bode well for a 6'5", white Senior. Not in a league with a two-round draft. Teams shoot for the stars in the draft...and then sign solid yet unspectacular players as undrafted free agents. If Mattie makes the league, that will be his path. I'm crossing my fingers for him, though...

rijman
06-23-2010, 07:54 PM
I doubt he'll get drafted, but I hope he does.

In one mock draft I saw Matt wasn't drafted but they had 5 Kentucky players going in the first 19 picks! I think the Kentucky mascot was projected a late second rounder.

CDC84
06-23-2010, 08:21 PM
If he does get drafted, it's likely to be towards the end of the 2nd round. He might be better off grabbing that passport anyway. I think Matty's going to make in the living in the game somewhere overseas, and he's not going to have to play for some club where he'll be wondering whether or not he'll get paid on time.

willandi
06-23-2010, 08:47 PM
Is he better off drafted in the late second round, or being an invite to camp. He could choose which team he tried out for if he isn't drafted. That said, he is a known quantity, a smart player with a good shot and above average IQ for B'Ball, not an unknown Euro, or a freshman with little or no track record, so my guess is not drafted, but invited to camp and MAYBE makes a team.

MDABE80
06-23-2010, 09:36 PM
http://blog.seattlepi.com/undraftedfreeagent/archives/212134.asp?from=blog_last3

northsidezagfan
06-23-2010, 09:44 PM
I have to say not drafted. There just isn't a market for a white 2-guard with average athleticism in the NBA, uness you are a dead-eye shooter, which Matt is not. I really hope I am proven wrong about this, but I think he will get a summer league spot and then make his way over to Europe, just like most of Gonzaga's draft hopefuls last year. I agree with the post above about bounce and speed trumping IQ in the NBA. Whether or not this is good for the league is debatable, but that's certainly the way it is.

Zagpower
06-24-2010, 05:38 AM
Best of luck to our Matty! He'll find his ultimate place I have no doubt.
I hope it's in the NBA so I can continue to watch him. It may be better for him to go undrafted, pick his best situation, then go prove himself in Summer League much like Blake Stepp did before his injury.

The NBA does a great job of drafting players overall. Far fewer busts than in Baseball or Football.

There are literally only a handful of roster spots in the league that are open for rookies and Euros each year. If you don't have a certain level of athleticsm, you will fail.

Example A: Rajon Rondo
Rondo couldn't shoot a lick and had some other issues but was a super athlete. The NBA turned him into a great player because you can't teach athleticsm but you can teach everything else.

I can't believe I am hearing that the NBA, which is owned by a bunch of old white guys, is racist against white players. Seriously? It would be the ultimate in irony if true but of course it's not.

I'll believe the IQ over athleticsm argument when the IVY league starts dominating the NCAAs.

titopoet
06-24-2010, 05:39 AM
I think yes, maybe by the Lakers or Spurs late in the second round. Though, that does not mean making the team and play next year in the NBA. Drafted means the D-league. It maybe better to go undrafted and then try to get on a team that would need his skill set.

It looks like Pargo will have a chance to work his way into the league after a great season in Israel. Not going drafted doesn't mean an end to dream of NBA.

Matt, continue to get better (shooting NBA 3s) and believe.

Zerogame
06-24-2010, 06:08 AM
Matty working out with Deron Williams in Spokane, interesting. Might be other Zags are getting the same treatment? That couldn't hurt.

http://www.slcdunk.com/2010/6/22/1529938/the-downbeat-22-june-2010-255-the

"But Bouldin is determined to prove that he can play. He's spent several offseason hours in Spokane working out both with Jazz guard Deron Williams and with Zags (and Jazz) alum John Stockton, picking up tips on how to play the point, which he'll probably have to do in order to stick with an NBA team. That's a pretty good duo from which to learn.

"[David Stockton] is a walk-on at our school," Bouldin said of Stockton. "[John Stockton] is around all the time. He's got some amazing stories. And he can still play. The guy's amazing. He's in the gym ripping off 50 pullups at a time. He's a freak. He's the smartest, best point guard ever. So any little thing you can get from him really helps."

Radbooks
06-24-2010, 06:54 AM
From ESPN:

Matt is one of 'This Year's Hidden Gems' (http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/blog?name=nba_draft&id=5317786)

Matt Bouldin
If you love basketball, you'll love the way Bouldin plays the game. He is smart, can shoot and is a terrific playmaker. I'm not sure what position he'll play -- he isn't athletic enough to guard the perimeter players in the NBA -- but he is the kind of player you can trust to make the right decision. Coaches love the Matt Bouldins of the world.

webspinnre
06-24-2010, 07:29 AM
I can't believe I am hearing that the NBA, which is owned by a bunch of old white guys, is racist against white players. Seriously? It would be the ultimate in irony if true but of course it's not.

Its not a race issue, its an athleticism issue. They're biased against kids who aren't athletic. It just so happens that many of those kids are white.

jake
06-24-2010, 07:37 AM
As much as I love Bouldin, I don't think there is a chance he'll be drafted. He will be successful somewhere overseas though.

Zagpower
06-24-2010, 08:01 AM
Its not a race issue, its an athleticism issue. They're biased against kids who aren't athletic. It just so happens that many of those kids are white.

I agree Web, but two different posters in this thread have pointed out that Matt being "white" will hurt him. I say BS.

007Zag
06-24-2010, 08:31 AM
Inasmuch as being white means being less athletic, it's not really BS.

Zagpower
06-24-2010, 08:53 AM
Inasmuch as being white means being less athletic, it's not really BS.

These guys are being evaluated on their individual skills and athleticsm, not on their race. Too much money on the line for the owners and GM's to prejudge based on race.

Martin Centre Mad Man
06-24-2010, 11:28 AM
I doubt he'll get drafted, but I hope he does.

In one mock draft I saw Matt wasn't drafted but they had 5 Kentucky players going in the first 19 picks! I think the Kentucky mascot was projected a late second rounder.

Where does Ashley Judd rank on the mock drafts?

Colbyspapa
06-24-2010, 11:35 AM
I hope I am wrong....

Matt did not have a standout second half of the year. Couple that with his play against very quick guards and you have to ask, is he quick enough to guard PG or SGs in the NBA? The zone will help a little. Offensively, he is an NBA player, but with how he shot the last 10 games of the year and the fact that he did not dominate games (which I know isn't his game) I don't think GMs will risk a draft pick on him. He will get invited to ever camp he works out for I'm guessing.

webspinnre
06-24-2010, 11:44 AM
It wouldn't shock me to see him drafted if a GM fell in love. By the same token, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him undrafted. He's your classic tweener when it comes to the draft.

Pleasant Peninsula
06-24-2010, 12:10 PM
It may be better for him to go undrafted, pick his best situation, then go prove himself in Summer League much like Blake Stepp did before his injury.

Blake Stepp was drafted. Second round, pick #59, by Minnesota.

Scotto
06-24-2010, 12:38 PM
Fingers crossed.

FuManShoes
06-24-2010, 01:01 PM
I don't think he'll be drafted. I do think he'll get picked up as a free agent this summer because he offers enough court savvy and size to cause problems. But the draft is about upside and I fear most teams don't think Matts' a player worth spending a pick on.

229SintoZag
06-24-2010, 01:06 PM

Casey Calvary and I got a good laugh at this post.

HillBillyZag
06-24-2010, 01:18 PM
Comcast Sports has Matt going to Salt Lake at #53 in Round 2. It reads;
" Another non-athletic Gonzaga Guard who can pass the Rock, Seems to us Salt Lake has done pretty well with those guys !"

CB4
06-24-2010, 01:23 PM
I don't know why people are commenting on Matt's skin color. If he was a black guard with the same skill set he still wouldn't get drafted.

gamagin
06-24-2010, 01:38 PM
GU has not sent a pro-ready basketball player to the bigs since Fr. Cataldo was a pup. Which means since forever.

Thus, those great Zags are entering the pool with a stigma that has yet to prove unworthy of that tag.

JS, of course, fooled everyone. Even himself, by working like an automaton on his game until he became one of its best. But alas, he started out as a project.

Frank Layden still says he drafted JS "because he was catholic (like Layden), because he laughed at my jokes, and his dad owned a bar."

But re: the rest of our best, only Ronny, Austin and Ammo remain in the bigs at all, and Ammo just may be hanging in there by a fingernail, if that. Maybe not. I hope not. But that is the way it looks, despite a first round pick.

Ronny seems to have found a home as a 6-7-8 man and we're all hoping for a long career ahead, and Austin seems to have held his bosses' interest and may outshine everyone except JS. All remain works in process.

Dan seems to have ended his career after getting touches in all but a few NBA teams. JP "might" get a shot at returning stateside and JH could still get some additional looks.

The rest of our best (I'm sure I left someone out . . . ) have invested their skills & futures overseas. And for the most part, they have done well. But not well enough to get back to or reconsideration by the NBA.

So if and until someone in a Zag uniform dominates the WCC AND dominates his opponents in the dance, and ultimately is drafted and becomes a mainstay (top 7-8 man) in the bigs, GU will continue to bring in great WCC players who have a shot at the bigs.

But from the Big League looking down, and across the field of prospects around the world from which to choose, Zags tend to look like big fish coming from a small pond compared to the killer sharks everyone wants to draw into their nets.

That could change any season. But looking back on MB and his performance in the second half of the season, I can only hope he gets his chance to shine. But from the big league standpoint, his tryout may have begun and ended with the last season. I hope not. I hope I'm wrong. But that's what I suspect.

He needed to draw some shark blood his senior year and I don't recall it happening.

7ICoug
06-24-2010, 01:45 PM
He will be playing in Europe next year.

229SintoZag
06-24-2010, 02:20 PM
GU has not sent a pro-ready basketball player to the bigs since Fr. Cataldo was a pup. Which means since forever.

Thus, those great Zags are entering the pool with a stigma that has yet to prove unworthy of that tag.

JS, of course, fooled everyone. Even himself, by working like an automaton on his game until he became one of its best. But alas, he started out as a project.

Frank Layden still says he drafted JS "because he was catholic (like Layden), because he laughed at my jokes, and his dad owned a bar."

But re: the rest of our best, only Ronny, Austin and Ammo remain in the bigs at all, and Ammo just may be hanging in there by a fingernail, if that. Maybe not. I hope not. But that is the way it looks, despite a first round pick.

Ronny seems to have found a home as a 6-7-8 man and we're all hoping for a long career ahead, and Austin seems to have held his bosses' interest and may outshine everyone except JS. All remain works in process.

Dan seems to have ended his career after getting touches in all but a few NBA teams. JP "might" get a shot at returning stateside and JH could still get some additional looks.

The rest of our best (I'm sure I left someone out . . . ) have invested their skills & futures overseas. And for the most part, they have done well. But not well enough to get back to or reconsideration by the NBA.

So if and until someone in a Zag uniform dominates the WCC AND dominates his opponents in the dance, and ultimately is drafted and becomes a mainstay (top 7-8 man) in the bigs, GU will continue to bring in great WCC players who have a shot at the bigs.

But from the Big League looking down, and across the field of prospects around the world from which to choose, Zags tend to look like big fish coming from a small pond compared to the killer sharks everyone wants to draw into their nets.

That could change any season. But looking back on MB and his performance in the second half of the season, I can only hope he gets his chance to shine. But from the big league standpoint, his tryout may have begun and ended with the last season. I hope not. I hope I'm wrong. But that's what I suspect.

He needed to draw some shark blood his senior year and I don't recall it happening.

I disagree with a lot of this post.

Say what you will about his career post-injury, but Ammo was a top 3 pick and he was picked by Michael Jordan. He was a dominant offensive player in college who led the country in scoring. Gonzaga was no stigma to his chances in the league. Michael Jordan does not pick losers (at least not willingly).

Same goes for Austin to a lesser extent last year. He was picked in the first round early and got guaranteed money. He has done respectably for a guy as young and physically undeveloped as he is.

Ronny is respected by both teammates and opponents alike in the NBA. He made it despite his heart condition. He is not an all star but he competes and plays respectably at the NBA level.

And Dickau got a guaranteed 3 year deal. Then followed that up with a second contract. That does not happen in the NBA unless you can play.

Add to that Frahm's journeyman time spent in the league and Gonzaga has not done bad at all.

The reality is that Gonzaga has done quite well the past decade in terms of placing players in the NBA and has done as well or better than many BCS schools out there, including better than any school in Washington state. UW has seen Nate Rob and B-Roy make it. Nobody else from UW had more than a cup of coffee in the league. EWU has Rodney Stuckey. WSU has bupkus since Mark Hendrikson, who I believe became a pitcher for the Blue Jays.

It is very hard to make an NBA roster. Being an All Star in the NBA is even harder. For the size of its school and the relative recent vintage of its program as one of the nation's best, Gonzaga has done just fine in terms of developing players for the NBA. If Pargo can somehow get a roster spot this will only improve. Add in Harris and perhaps Sacre in the next couple years and who knows.

cjm720
06-24-2010, 02:36 PM
I don't think school afiliation or skin color has much to do with anything nowadays. If the kid can play (check), has the potential to improve (?), and is athletic enough (?) he can make the league.

Also, there was a fantastic article presented here and or SSF about Seniors and the Draft and the correlation of making it into the league. Bottom line, if you're NBA bound, it typically means you won't be in college for 4 years.

I'll be rooting for Matty B regardless!

deathchina
06-24-2010, 02:54 PM
"Its not a race issue, its an athleticism issue. They're biased against kids who aren't athletic. It just so happens that many of those kids are white."

The NBA is happy to draft athletic kids, white or black of yellow (Yi Jianlian was drafted due to his high skill level AND above average athleticism for a 6'11" player). Kris Humphries, Joe Alexander, and BJ Mullens are also recent examples of white players drafted on potential due to their athleticism.

dim4sum
06-24-2010, 03:07 PM
My guess is he goes in round two to Denver. Local content has been shown to improve attendance and the nba is 150 percent about the money.

DenDiegoZag
06-24-2010, 03:24 PM
I disagree with a lot of this post.

Say what you will about his career post-injury, but Ammo was a top 3 pick and he was picked by Michael Jordan. He was a dominant offensive player in college who led the country in scoring. Gonzaga was no stigma to his chances in the league. Michael Jordan does not pick losers (at least not willingly).

I agree with most of what you posted, but to say the Jordan does not pick losers is a little off base. The guy has made a handful of really bad picks including Kwame Brown and up to this point Ammo. I just do not think that Jordan is a good reference as someone who is a wiz at the draft.

DenDiegoZag
06-24-2010, 03:26 PM
My guess is he goes in round two to Denver. Local content has been shown to improve attendance and the nba is 150 percent about the money.

Doubt that happens unless Denver trades back into the 2nd round since they do not have any picks in the draft this year. Local media has shown that Denver has some interest in trading back into the draft but only to acquire a big man.

229SintoZag
06-24-2010, 03:59 PM
I agree with most of what you posted, but to say the Jordan does not pick losers is a little off base. The guy has made a handful of really bad picks including Kwame Brown and up to this point Ammo. I just do not think that Jordan is a good reference as someone who is a wiz at the draft.

I agree with you on Jordan not having a good track record in the draft. My point was that Jordan liked what he saw in Ammo and thought Ammo was a winner. He also liked Ammo's killer instinct--which we all have to admit Adam had in spades in college.

Gonzaga was not in any sense a drawback for Ammo. He was able to make a good enough impression on Michael Jordan, of all people, to be drafted with his first lottery pick in that draft. My larger point is that there is no evidence of a Gonzaga stigma among NBA scouts and teams.

MickMick
06-24-2010, 04:55 PM
I thought Matt to Utah would be the best fit for him. Utah might be one of the few teams that would take Matt.

I think Gordon Hayward to Utah is a terrific fit as well.

I wonder how much this will impact Utah in considering Matt? Matt may have nowhere to land now. Perhaps he never did in the first place.

There was rumor of the Lakers considering Matt very late in the 2nd. Jordan Crawford may steal the spot though.

LynetteG
06-24-2010, 05:04 PM
15th pick isn't there...? And Bulls go with a French guy for the 18th. Hmm... At least he was there I guess!

FuManShoes
06-24-2010, 08:14 PM
Hey, Matt at least made this list from Draftexpress.com:

Top undrafted free agents (part three): Marqus Blakely, Stefan Markovic, Jon Scheyer, Tyler Smith, Thomas Heurtel, few others maybe

Top undrafted free agents (part two): Artsiom Parakhouski, Miroslav Raduljica, Aubrey Coleman, Matt Bouldin, Ben Uzoh, A.J. Ogilvy

Top undrafted free agents: Brian Zoubek, Samardo Samuels, Alexey Shved, Jeremy Wise, Mikhail Torrance, Sylven Landesberg, Manny Harris

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com/#ixzz0rpr4q2Li
http://www.draftexpress.com

thespywhozaggedme
06-24-2010, 08:19 PM
I don't think Matt's gonna get drafted.

zag944
06-24-2010, 08:28 PM
Twitter said he is in Chicago next week. Thats a makeable team, considering they just dumped off Hinrich to make LeBron space.

ronh_pm
06-24-2010, 08:31 PM
As Matt says "No worries. Lots of roads." He knows what he has to do.

AzZag
06-24-2010, 08:55 PM
It was nice to see him on Jay Bilas's best available list. There were some serious waste of picks in the late second round IMO. Jeremy Evans from Western Kentucky? He wasn't even the best player on WKU. Slaughter was. By far.

He may not have been drafted but I would love to one day own an NBA jersey of his. One can hope.

GodZaga76
06-24-2010, 09:00 PM
Well he may not have got drafted(or a lot of other big name PG's) but I am confident he will make a team.

GUDan07
06-24-2010, 09:14 PM
He never had a shot at being drafted and will not play in the NBA. Who on an NBA floor is Bouldin going to guard? And while some players can get away with being sub-par defenders, Bouldin is not a prolific scorer to justify his athletic and defensive shortcomings. His game will translate very well to the European game and he should have a very nice career over there. No one should feel bad for Mr. Bouldin.

GodZaga76
06-24-2010, 09:29 PM
He never had a shot at being drafted and will not play in the NBA. Who on an NBA floor is Bouldin going to guard? And while some players can get away with being sub-par defenders, Bouldin is not a prolific scorer to justify his athletic and defensive shortcomings. His game will translate very well to the European game and he should have a very nice career over there. No one should feel bad for Mr. Bouldin.

Yes he did have a shot at getting drafted, and trust me his basketball IQ can justify him playing in the NBA. YOU get him on a team with a all star center, PF that he can feed the assists to and he could be very good. I think with the way the NBA is going you see a lot of very good players that could end up as all stars never getting to play in the NBA because they are not as athletic or jump high. So they never even get the chance. That's why you also get the big busts because they draft on "this guy is big and fast in college he should be good". Than they get to the pro ranks where everybody is just as fast or faster and they don't have the IQ to compensate for them not being able to beat people with there athleticism . Trust me if Matt gets a chance he will shine.

GUDan07
06-24-2010, 10:06 PM
Yes he did have a shot at getting drafted, and trust me his basketball IQ can justify him playing in the NBA. YOU get him on a team with a all star center, PF that he can feed the assists to and he could be very good. I think with the way the NBA is going you see a lot of very good players that could end up as all stars never getting to play in the NBA because they are not as athletic or jump high. So they never even get the chance. That's why you also get the big busts because they draft on "this guy is big and fast in college he should be good". Than they get to the pro ranks where everybody is just as fast or faster and they don't have the IQ to compensate for them not being able to beat people with there athleticism . Trust me if Matt gets a chance he will shine.

You made my point for me. The NBA is a league based on athleticism. He would be getting burned on every possession on the defensive end and would be shut down on the offensive side. Court IQ is a secondary attribute in the NBA. You must first have athleticism and skill to play in the NBA and if you have good basketball IQ then that is a plus, but you will never play in the league on that alone.

MickMick
06-24-2010, 10:16 PM

I disagree. When a player goes to multiple predraft workouts, he is invited because teams are taking a look.

Obviously, Matt didn't impress enough in those workouts to change any minds.
There are 300+ division 1 schools to choose from when extending invites for these workouts. Getting an invite = a shot at getting drafted. Conversely, no invite = no shot.

No invites for Will Foster.....no shot.
No invites for TJ Campbell....no shot.
No invites for (insert name)....no shot.
etc.
etc.

Invites for Samhan....had a shot
Invites for Bouldin...had a shot

They didn't impress enough in the workouts to overcome the physical/athletic advantage that some of their competitors had....but they had "a shot" to do so.

Obviously, Gervis Vasquez, Luke Babbit, etc., made favorable impressions with their skill set to overcome some physical disadvantages......so it is possible.

webspinnre
06-24-2010, 11:22 PM
Hey, he's signed with a team, he'll play D League, and have a chance to prove himself to either the Bulls or any other team. If it doesn't work out, he's got excellent opportunities in Europe.

GodZaga76
06-25-2010, 04:12 AM

mmmm, last time I checked Chicago Bulls were still part of the NBA. Way to go Matt.

Reborn
06-25-2010, 06:47 AM
My impressions of the draft last night: No wonder I only watch the NBA during the playoffs, and really not much in the first round. I couldnt believe what I was witnessing last night. It was the same last year too.

If Vasquez can play in the NBA so can Matt. Matt is better, imo. I'm glad to see that Matt has a shot with Chicago.

GUDan07
06-25-2010, 06:56 AM
mmmm, last time I checked Chicago Bulls were still part of the NBA. Way to go Matt.

Last time I checked, being singed to a summer league roster is not playing in the NBA. He will not stick.

CanadianZagFan
06-25-2010, 07:12 AM
My impressions of the draft last night: No wonder I only watch the NBA during the playoffs, and really not much in the first round. I couldnt believe what I was witnessing last night. It was the same last year too.

If Vasquez can play in the NBA so can Matt. Matt is better, imo. I'm glad to see that Matt has a shot with Chicago.

The difference is that Grevis played the point guard spot for 4 years and Matt did not. Bouldin has good vision and can play some point, Grevis is a point. Lets not crap on Vasques because Matt did not get drafted, Matt knows what he needs to do to make it in the NBA, if he does it he will b there, if not no big deal.

MickMick
06-25-2010, 07:54 AM
The difference is that Grevis played the point guard spot for 4 years and Matt did not. Bouldin has good vision and can play some point, Grevis is a point. Lets not crap on Vasques because Matt did not get drafted, Matt knows what he needs to do to make it in the NBA, if he does it he will b there, if not no big deal.

Interesting point.

Everyone knows that the offense went through Matt. From an offensive standpoint, he was the closest thing to a point guard that GU had, but he played all over the place. The fact that the staff loved to post him up is likely the reason why. He could excel at point on a college level if he played the position exclusively. I don't think his handle is good enough for a NBA level point guard. Possibly good enough handle for two guard though. He is also a heck of a lot better defender than people are giving him credit for. He could be an absolute thief at times.

Matt isn't super quick and he can have some droughts shooting from distance. In my opinion, the games against LMU and Syracuse really hurt his stock, but his game against Memphis was a thing of beauty. Perhaps the best I have ever seen him play. If he played like that every time out, I think he would have definitely been taken in the second round.

Consistency

Edit: One of his best assets that is rarely talked about is his strength/bulk. Continuation through fouls for three point plays would be a strong asset at the next level. He is a like a linebacker out there. Helps with his positioning for rebounds as well.

webspinnre
06-25-2010, 07:59 AM
Lets see what happens now that he's healthy again and can do his thing in the Summer league.

GodZaga76
06-25-2010, 05:18 PM
Last time I checked, being singed to a summer league roster is not playing in the NBA. He will not stick.

Wrong again that is all he needed was a real chance to show his IQ of the game, I am not saying he will be starting by the end of the season but he will make the team. Way to go Matt

Reborn
06-26-2010, 09:36 AM

I wasn't trying to crap on Vasques. Grevis is a very good player. I was thinking about their match-up over the years. I know Gonzaga beat Maryland every time. Few was recruiting both Vasques and Matt when they were Seniors in HS. I like them both, and would certainly have been pleased with Vasques if he had been a Zag. Vasques had some great gamea, but he also had some where he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. Matt too. I'm glad Vasquez made it into the LEAGUE, and I'm just saying if he did so can Matt. I meant it more as a compliment then a criticism of Vasquex.

I am not looking for Matt to put up huge points this summer. Matt is too much of a team player to do that. I think he will look to be the guy to distribute and make others look good too. I think he will average around 13 -15 pts this summer. Matt's strong points will be his passing and rebounding. As Mick Mick said, he has a great body for the NBA. I also think Matt's 3 pt shooting has improved a lot. He was a good 3 pt shooter last year until the injuries.

FieldHouseFishHouse
06-26-2010, 01:10 PM
Wrong again that is all he needed was a real chance to show his IQ of the game, I am not saying he will be starting by the end of the season but he will make the team. Way to go Matt

It seems to me that the D League is where players with high IQ (and not much else) go to die. Those teams are pretty chaotic, it will be tough for a quiet guy
like MB to twist a glorified dunk contest into a team game where he can demonstrate his value.

MickMick
06-26-2010, 02:24 PM
It seems to me that the D League is where players with high IQ (and not much else) go to die. Those teams are pretty chaotic, it will be tough for a quiet guy
like MB to twist a glorified dunk contest into a team game where he can demonstrate his value.

Right on. This is why the NBA lost at least one fan.

I love college hoops.

I didn't watch one minute of the NBA playoffs.

GodZaga76
06-26-2010, 04:36 PM

I think the Bulls already know what he can do..They want to fill up the bench with good people at min price..They already have the superstars(and if they get Lebron) they need somebody to be able to dish the assists and not whine about scoring. Trust me Matt will be sitting with the real Bulls team(not D league) on the bench by season end.

U Zig, I Zag
06-26-2010, 05:53 PM

Vasquez can be a loose cannon out there at times but comparing him to Matt I like everything about Matt's game better EXCEPT GV is quicker.

It comes down to this - Matt doesn't have to jump any higher, be any taller, etc - he needs to be quicker. Laterally and stop and go. I really don't think he can get much quicker, that is something you have or you don't. But of all the players available on draft day I bet to most GM's Matt was right up there in terms of basketball knowledge and smart decisions.

Get faster, Matt