PDA

View Full Version : Canada's U17 Cadets Leave for Madrid

BobZag
06-22-2010, 02:54 PM
Tomorrow (Wednesday), according to their coach's twitter:

Roy_Rana Great final full day of Training Camp. The guys really stepped up and competed at a high level. Last practice in the am, then off to Madrid

May the Force be with Kevin and Duane, and all of Team Canada. Nice words from the coach, as well:

Roy_Rana As much as I'm impressed with the skills and athleticism of our team. I am more proud of there character and approach!

OZZY
06-22-2010, 03:10 PM
Unfortunately they still haven't listed the team yet!

I think the "team" will be a sum much greater than its parts (and there are some pretty decent parts at that). My guess is that Olivier Hanlan may backup Kevin and I hear that there is not much of a step down when he is on the floor. With a Starting lineup that should include Pangos, Notice, Wiggins and Bennett they will be very athletic and competititve, I sense a real possibility of a medal (I wouldn't care what colour).

BobZag
06-22-2010, 04:12 PM
Seems like a class guy, right along with Greg Francis. Here is Rana's latest twitter--

Roy_Rana There will be many successful men in life who have been on this team and many who will make a lasting mark on Bball in Canada.

No wonder Few likes Kevin, Duane, et al, so much.

OZZY
06-22-2010, 04:51 PM
SCU has the AIS connection, Gonzaga has the Canada Basketball one. I'm pretty sure that Rana has been head coach for the Canadian team at the Nike Global Challenge event in Portland the last two years. I like the chances of a few of those players playing there as well. That could place them over Spokane's side of the continent.........hmm

ZagNative
06-23-2010, 10:19 AM
No, I don't see the roster yet, but this:

Solid Final practice and off to the Airport. Mental prep goes to another level as we adjust to time changes amongst other challenges.Madrid!
about 2 hours ago via web

Roy_Rana
Roy Rana
Then this:
Sitting in my chair I swear that it was moving. I'm not drunk and my floor was moving! Earthquake! 32 minutes ago via TweetDeck

CanBallReport
Can Ball Report

And then I find this (http://www.globalsaskatoon.com/Breaking+News+Earthquake+felt+Ontario/3191707/story.html):

[B]A small earthquake was felt in parts of Ontario Wednesday morning—places like Toronto, Montreal and Ottawa experienced the quake.

Several buildings were evacuated and residents we spoke to say they felt a rumble as the ground shaked.

The US Geological Service has confirmed the quake had a magnitude of 5.5.Looks like it's not a big one, but what a sendoff for the kids on their trip to Madrid!

ZagNative
06-25-2010, 12:31 PM
Found on FEB, the official site for Spain (http://www.feb.es/NoticiaDesarrollo.aspx?idNoticia=33532) (Spanish Language, of course), translated via Google:

The U17 men culminates a big comeback and is binding on Canada in Guadalajara ( 88-79 )

06/25/2010 The U17 men's selection came to be 17 points behind but thanks to a spectacular fourth quarter, could take the win in the tournament in Guadalajara that is serving as preparation for the World Cup in Hamburg which begins next July 2

Good test U17 selection against Canada , which will be one of his rivals in the first round of the World . Canadians began to dominate the game and getting the early advantage , which reached a maximum of 17 points in the second quarter. Diego Ocampo encouraged boys asus before the break trimmed his handicap to eight points.

The move by changing served for players to receive new instructions. However, in the third quarter, although the game was balanced for both teams , Canada could extend their lead to twelve points just before entering the crucial ten minutes . It was at that time that the U17 was a true display of talent , both on defense on offense to offset their disadvantage and to give final round score and win.

This Saturday will be measured Canada and Argentina, while Spain will not play again until Sunday. He will face Argentina after 19:00.

ESPAÑA (15+24+14+35), 88: J. Medori (14), J. Fernández (13), R. Pámpano (1), L. Conde (22), J. Olaizola (7) –Starting Fivel-, A. Ramón (5), J. Sanz (13), L. Costa (-), F. Cerqueira (4), M. Diop (-), A. Suárez (5), D. Díez (15).

CANADÁ (25+22+18+14), 79: K. Pangos (8), A. Bennet (12), N. Webster-Chan (5), D. Wagner (4), A. Wiggins (12) –Starting Five-, D. Notice (7), R. Peters (4), O. Hanlan (6), D. Pierre (2), J. De Ciman (19), M. Willms (-).Wow. Pangos doesn't start?

Another story (http://en.lacerca.com/news/guadalajara/international_spain_canada_argentina-64352-1.html) found before the game has this:
International Basketball Trophy Under-17 men between the teams of Spain, Canada and Argentina,

This weekend at the municipal sports center David Santamaría
June 24, 2010

Our city hosts this weekend another international sports event. This is the International Trophy Under-17 men’s basketball selections from Spain, Canada and Argentina. This has been confirmed this morning Eladio Freijo1, Councillor for Sports. The meetings, which will be held in municipal sports facilities David Santamaría2, will start tomorrow, at 19 hours, with the match between Spain and Canada. On Saturday and Sunday, at the same time, will be played, respectively, the matches between Argentina and Canada, and Spain-Argentina. Admission is free.

The Spanish team is concentrated in Guadalajara since last June 10 and remain within the city until the next day 30.

thespywhozaggedme
06-25-2010, 12:47 PM
Found on FEB, the official site for Spain (http://www.feb.es/NoticiaDesarrollo.aspx?idNoticia=33532) (Spanish Language, of course), translated via Google:Wow. Pangos doesn't start?

Another story (http://en.lacerca.com/news/guadalajara/international_spain_canada_argentina-64352-1.html) found before the game has this:

The tourney doesn't start until July 2nd. That must be an exhibition game.

http://hamburg2010.fiba.com/

ZagNative
06-25-2010, 12:52 PM
The tourney doesn't start until July 2nd. That must be an exhibition game.

http://hamburg2010.fiba.com/Absolutely it's an exhibition tourney. We knew they were going to be playing an exhibition series in Madrid.

sanders
06-25-2010, 01:01 PM
Wow. Pangos doesn't start?

I think it means the five guys listed first did start (Pangos, Bennet, Webster-Chan, Wagner and Wiggins).

ZagNative
06-25-2010, 01:03 PM
That makes much more sense! Especially since there were six names listed.

thespywhozaggedme
06-25-2010, 01:04 PM
Absolutely it's an exhibition tourney. We knew they were going to be playing an exhibition series in Madrid.

You wrote "loses first game to Spain" so I assumed that you thought this was the real deal. These are like spring training games, they mean nothing. The real stuff begins on the 2nd.

ZagNative
06-25-2010, 01:07 PM
Fixed.

ZagNative
06-25-2010, 01:25 PM
Roy Rana tweet (http://twitter.com/Roy_Rana/statuses/17039997345):
Lost to European Champion Spain 88-79- Lead comfortably for 3 quarters, played poorly in the 4th. Joe Deciman leads all scorers with 20pts.
about 2 hours ago via UberTwitter

Roy_Rana
Roy Rana

thespywhozaggedme
06-25-2010, 01:49 PM
Roy Rana tweet (http://twitter.com/Roy_Rana/statuses/17039997345):

Whaddya know about this DeCiman kid? I just looked him up the other day.

OZZY
06-25-2010, 03:39 PM
Whaddya know about this DeCiman kid? I just looked him up the other day.

Joe actually was on the team last year (averaged 14 mpg), and like Wiggins and Notice is younger than most of the other players on the team. He is a 6'5" guard/wing who can dunk and is very athletic. looks like he might have a Sudanese background with Deng as his middle name (He reminds me a bit of Manny looking at this info). He is from Regina.

Piecing the team together...

Guards.

Pangos
Hanlon
Notice
DeCiman

Wings

Pierre
Wiggins
Bennett
Chan

Wagner
Peters
Willms
Bhullar (didn't play in exhibition, but must be close to being fit enough for the tournament, either that or they brought him along to freak other teams out with his height).

The only other question is are there any other players travelling with them? Givin the limited funding I am guessing no....

Given that half the team is new from the FIBA Americas U16 group, they will take a bit of time to gell together.

Bhullar, Willms have come from nowhere replacing Evans and Duke. I hear that Willms can really shoot the rock for his size, but might be 170 lbs soaking wet. Wiggins has got Alexander's spot. Hanlan replaces Lewis.

Not concerned about loss to Spain, although I would rather be playing another team during exhibition as they are in our pool .

BobZag
06-25-2010, 03:50 PM
Joe actually was on the team last year (averaged 14 mpg), and like Wiggins and Notice is younger than most of the other players on the team. He is a 6'5" guard/wing who can dunk and is very athletic. looks like he might have a Sudanese background with Deng as his middle name (He reminds me a bit of Manny looking at this info). He is from Regina.

Piecing the team together...

Guards.

Pangos
Hanlon
Notice
DeCiman

Wings

Pierre
Wiggins
Bennett
Chan

Wagner
Peters
Willms
Bhullar (didn't play in exhibition, but must be close to being fit enough for the tournament, either that or they brought him along to freak other teams out with his height).

The only other question is are there any other players travelling with them? Givin the limited funding I am guessing no....

Given that half the team is new from the FIBA Americas U16 group, they will take a bit of time to gell together.

Bhullar, Willms have come from nowhere replacing Evans and Duke. In hear that Willms can really shoot the rock for his size, but might be 170lbs soaking wet. Wiggins has got Alexander's spot. Hanlan replaces Lewis.

Not concerned about loss to Spain, although I would rather be plaing another team during exhibition as they are in our pool .

Revenge, OZZY, revenge.

Rana and the team had to learn a ton in this game, with working on preserving a big lead to the end being lesson #1. Hopefully a blessing in disguise.

ZagNative
06-25-2010, 03:56 PM
This has probably been posted elsewhere, but just in case (and for my info), Group B includes:

Egypt
USA
Canada
Poland
Spain
China

Edited to add: I think I'm screwed up. See below.

BobZag
06-25-2010, 03:59 PM
This has probably been posted elsewhere, but just in case (and for my info), Group B includes:

Egypt
USA
Canada
Poland
Spain
China

That's a Death Group. I sure hope three teams advance out of there.

ZagNative
06-25-2010, 04:06 PM
Darned if I know where I got that .. This actually looks like Group B:

2 Jul. 2010 vs Germany
3 Jul. 2010 vs Australia
5 Jul. 2010 vs Spain
6 Jul. 2010 vs Korea
7 Jul. 2010 vs Poland

Watching ZN research is more than a little like watching sausage made ... Sorry about those years off your life, guboards.

OZZY
06-25-2010, 04:11 PM
Looking on the FIBA site the photo looks like the actual team listed, Wagner is 6'9"/6'10" look how much taller Tanveer is!

http://hamburg2010.fiba.com/pages/eng/fe/10/fu17wc/men/news/p/eid/4718/nid/38480/sid/4718/article.html

OZZY
06-25-2010, 04:17 PM
Darned if I know where I got that .. This actually looks like Group B:

2 Jul. 2010 vs Germany
3 Jul. 2010 vs Australia
5 Jul. 2010 vs Spain
6 Jul. 2010 vs Korea
7 Jul. 2010 vs Poland

Canada hopefully place 2nd or 3rd in the pool depending on how strong the Aussies are, still they could end up beating the Spainish team and finish 1st....The unknown is how they will play as a team against some teams that have been playing alot together (Poland, Spain and Germany).

I hope that they get thorugh and end up playing Argentina in the QF round, that will be a great repeat from last years FIBA Americas semi-finals won by Argentina in a thriller.

ZagNative
06-25-2010, 04:38 PM
Get it together, ZN!

OZZY, weirdly enough, I really didn't know which countries would be represented in Hamburg, so please do not beat me about the head and shoulders as I blunder through.

Am I correct that each group has six teams in it, and four from each group will advance to the next round?

All teams and their groups (http://hamburg2010.fiba.com/pages/eng/fe/10/fu17wc/men/p/eid/4718/nid/38480/sid/4718/team-search.html):

Argentina Group A
China Group A
Egypt Group A
Lithuania Group A
Serbia Group A
USA Group A

Australia Group B
Canada Group B
Germany Group B
Korea Group B
Poland Group B
Spain Group B

OZZY
06-25-2010, 04:59 PM
Get it together, ZN!

OZZY, weirdly enough, I really didn't know which countries would be represented in Hamburg, so please do not beat me about the head and shoulders as I blunder through.

Am I correct that each group has six teams in it, and four from each group will advance to the next round?

All teams and their groups (http://hamburg2010.fiba.com/pages/eng/fe/10/fu17wc/men/p/eid/4718/nid/38480/sid/4718/team-search.html):

Argentina Group A
China Group A
Egypt Group A
Lithuania Group A
Serbia Group A
USA Group A

Australia Group B
Canada Group B
Germany Group B
Korea Group B
Poland Group B
Spain Group B

Yes that is correct, the top four from each pool advance to 1/4 finals. You don't want to be the fourth place team in B as you will end up playing the USA most likley. I believe that with a few games under their belts Canada will be competitive with all but the US team. I think that the have a realistic chance at a medal, but then again I said that last year at the World U19s with Manny and Kelly.

A lot will ride on the back of how Pangos runs the team.

sanders
06-25-2010, 05:31 PM
So it looks like Staukas didn't make the team. Is he hurt?

Quite a bit of turnover compared to last year's team, with six of the 12 spots changing over.

The team is a little thin up front (espcially if Bhullar is limited), and started a small lineup today.

Player
06-26-2010, 05:29 PM
CanadaU17 vs Argentina exhibition - 69-54

follow up info on 2 post players
Tanveer is 7'2" (ankle injury coming into Cadet try-outs...not sure if he is ready to play)
Matthew Willms -Leamington, Ontario
-6'11" 195lbs
- can play 5, 4, and easily 3
- great perimeter sharp shooter (they need to use him on the outside shots)

ZagNative
06-26-2010, 05:33 PM
Tweet from Roy Rana (http://twitter.com/Roy_Rana/statuses/17114373594):

Quality win over Argentina tonite 69-54. Good bounce back win in a gym where the heat has been 38 degrees. Great team effort!
about 6 hours ago via UberTwitter

Roy_Rana
Roy Rana

Whistler30
06-26-2010, 11:45 PM
That picture is last years' team. This years team is not pictured yet or listed properly. For that matter, it's not even announced formally which is odd as it s actually playing with 12 in Spain.