PDA

View Full Version : Regrets, I've had a few ...

ZagNative
06-22-2010, 12:10 AM
Great story on Joe Harris from the Charlottesville Daily Progress (http://www2.dailyprogress.com/cdp/sports/cavalier_insider/ci_basketball/article/bennetts_six_shooters_the_gunner_joe_harris/57462/).

Making a choice

When Harris first set the goal of playing college basketball, Gonzaga - about a three-hour drive from Chelan - was the school he envisioned himself attending. Especially after Harris spent some time with coach Mark Few in the Zags’ locker room after a game early in the recruiting process.

“I was really into it because everyone from Spokane is obsessed with the Zags and they play all the time on ESPN,“ Harris said. “At first, that’s where I felt most comfortable, but then as recruiting went on and on, I wasn’t set on Gonzaga. I had lots of different options and wanted to see what everyone else had to offer.“

One of the schools that immediately jumped to the top of Harris’ list was Washington State. Harris hit it off with coach Tony Bennett, and it didn’t take long for WSU to become his No. 1 choice.

However, when Bennett unexpectedly took the job at Virginia, Harris essentially went back to square one in the recruiting process - until he took a visit to Charlottesville and learned more about UVa.

Wishing him and his family the best at Virginia.

MickMick
06-22-2010, 06:21 AM
Nice find ZN.

I hope he has great success at UVA. You can make a name for yourself in the ACC and playing for Bennett isn't a bad choice.

Ekrub
06-22-2010, 07:12 AM
Did he realize that he had options.... or did Few decide that he didn't want him?

webspinnre
06-22-2010, 07:39 AM
That, plus I think he decided that GU wasn't the fit he was looking for.

ZagNative
06-22-2010, 08:00 AM
IMO, it was a case of over-thinking.

After reading that story, remembered a story in Slipper Still Fits (http://www.slipperstillfits.com/2009/8/3/974186/wrapping-up-the-july-evaluation) about him lat summer. Dug it up, and it made me laugh.
2010: Who's Out

In the intro I said that their was only two legitimate prospects remaining in 2010 and that is because I, and probably most Gonzaga fans, constantly forget about North Idaho College's Guy Marc-Michel. Before we get to that, here is a list of the guys that are now off of the board as far as we are concerned.

Joe Harris, guard from Chelan, WA: Being that Joe is in Gonzaga's backyard, we thought that Mark Few could have the inside track on Joe but the 2009 class made it clear that perimeter guys were not really a major thing for this class. Joe committed to the University of Virginia today and it seems to be a great fit with former WSU coach Tony Bennett at the helm. Tony's a great coach and Virginia is a first class institution so it's good to see him to go a good place.Right ... perimeter players not really a major thing for this class ... How'd that work out for you? After the season, near panic seemed to ensue as staff fanned out in a frenetic search for some perimeter players to bring in fall of 2010, after mediocre perimeter play caused a big problem for the 2009-10 season; and the staff's choices left many here scratching their heads as they saw staff bringing in a kid out of a small town across the country in Maine, instead of having locked down a great kid who had always dreamed of being a Zag, from a small town in our back yard.

The new guys have grown on us, but I, for one, regret the one from Chelan who got away.

BobZag
06-22-2010, 08:15 AM

After reading that story, remembered a story in Slipper Still Fits (http://www.slipperstillfits.com/2009/8/3/974186/wrapping-up-the-july-evaluation) about him lat summer. Dug it up, and it made me laugh. Right ... perimeter players not really a major thing for this class ... How'd that work out for you? After the season, near panic seemed to ensue as staff fanned out in a frenetic search for some perimeter players to bring in fall of 2010, after mediocre perimeter play caused a big problem for the 2009-10 season; and the staff's choices left many here scratching their heads as they saw staff bringing in a kid out of a small town across the country in Maine, instead of having locked down a great kid who had always dreamed of being a Zag, from a small town in our back yard.

The new guys have grown on us, but I, for one, regret the one from Chelan who got away.

Weird post.

Good luck to Joe. Virginia is an awesome school.

BroncoZAG615
06-22-2010, 08:33 AM

After reading that story, remembered a story in Slipper Still Fits (http://www.slipperstillfits.com/2009/8/3/974186/wrapping-up-the-july-evaluation) about him lat summer. Dug it up, and it made me laugh. Right ... perimeter players not really a major thing for this class ... How'd that work out for you? After the season, near panic seemed to ensue as staff fanned out in a frenetic search for some perimeter players to bring in fall of 2010, after mediocre perimeter play caused a big problem for the 2009-10 season; and the staff's choices left many here scratching their heads as they saw staff bringing in a kid out of a small town across the country in Maine, instead of having locked down a great kid who had always dreamed of being a Zag, from a small town in our back yard.

Meh. I'll take the kid that dreamed of being a Bruin, Tarheel, Hoosier, etc and was impressed with Gonzaga and Mark Few as he grew up and matured as a person and decided to come to Spokane.

It's called "recruiting" for a reason. For what these players can bring a program, they deserve to be sold that a certain school is perfect for them in every way. For Joe, that school was Virginia.

As for how the article worked out for us...pretty good. The site has really been successful in its short life. If anyone predicted this offseason, kudos. We give opinions, not facts.

ZagNative
06-22-2010, 08:43 AM
I meant "how'd that work out for the staff," not for SSF. If it's true that perimeter players weren't really a major thing for this class, how do you explain what happened with late recruiting this spring?

BroncoZAG615
06-22-2010, 09:07 AM
I meant "how'd that work out for the staff," not for SSF. If it's true that perimeter players weren't really a major thing for this class, how do you explain what happened with late recruiting this spring?

I'd rather not turn this into a pissing contest but I'd explain it by saying it was written in August of '09. This was before Meech struggled, before GJ's issues and transfer, before Grant (didn't he dream of being a Zag, too?) decided to leave after not leaving the bench. We didn't have a bunch of scholarships for 2010 at that point and, at that time, it appeared we were hot after Yannick Atanga, interested in Jordan Railey, and Guy-Marc.

Like I said and like I've said thousands of times here and on the site...recruiting evolves and I feel like Gonzaga recruiting is especially difficult to track with the Euro presence etc...

We cover the guys we think GU is going after. It worked with Sam Dower, failed with Rotnei, worked with Manny, failed with Anthony Marshall, worked for Gary Bell, failed for Marquise Carter.

Stuff happens, life isn't fair. That's basically how I explain it.

gamagin
06-22-2010, 09:19 AM
& hindsight is perfect. Everything else is speculation.

I know you well enough ZN, to know your barb was aimed at the irony of the situation as it played out. Not the TSSF.

But it can be read & taken a number of ways.

The irony IS a good point, given what has happened and the apparent scramble that ensued, imo.

Ekrub
06-22-2010, 09:31 AM
Going back to almost a year ago almost all sportswriters/bloggers probably said some things that we would laugh at now. College basketball is crazy. College basketball recruiting is even crazier.

cjm720
06-22-2010, 01:00 PM
I'm no BZ, but Monninhoff is awaiting SAT results which are reported to be available on June 24...