PDA

View Full Version : Heytvelt Gets Tryout w/ Toronto

Angelo Roncalli
06-18-2010, 10:41 AM
http://www.google.com/url?sa=X&q=http://www.lmtribune.com/blogs/%3Fp%3D10485&ct=ga&cad=:s1:f1:v0:i0:lt:e1:p1:t1276879437:&cd=fcIIYMBiWxA&usg=AFQjCNHDsaTk_fcK5SrFRjow267Lk-dWiQ

BobZag
06-18-2010, 10:47 AM
If they lose Bosh, does that help Josh?

Pargo should get another shot with somebody, I'd think, considering how well he did in Israel.

Ekrub
06-18-2010, 10:48 AM
Hopefully he does well!

ZagNative
06-18-2010, 11:17 AM
From the linked Ridiculous Upside (http://www.ridiculousupside.com/2010/6/18/1524261/toronto-raptors-free-agent-workout) story:

Josh Heytvelt, PF/C, Lottomatica (Italy) - Heytvelt, who just finished his first professional season after being a standout big man for Gonzaga, was probably the most surprising player to go undrafted last season - the drug problems and a history of poor rebounding being the most likely factors.

Heytvelt then signed with the Washington Wizards for Summer League last season, though he didn't get much playing time (they reportedly like his pick-and-roll defense, though, for what it's worth). He seems to have acclimated himself to the (European) pro game, however, if his numbers from this past season are any indication.

In 30 games for Oyak Renault in Turkey, the near 7-footer averaged 17.3 points and 10 boards while ranking fifth in the league in blocked shots. He also took 150 three-point shots, connecting on 54. I'm not sure what the circumstances were, but he then finished the season in Italy (though played 11 minutes combined in his two games with Lottomatica).

gamagin
06-18-2010, 11:26 AM
JH played Center, too. Despite one of my favorite urban legends on the GUB that he belonged elsewhere on the court.

JH thought he didn't belong at center, either.

But as soon as he returned to that unnatural position, in turkey, he became effective -- just like he was early on and when he caught the nation's attention as center at GU.

With a size 22 shoe (I think it is) I believe he can not only plant, but shoot, block and put back the round thing pretty much at will, if he wants to, much closer to the rim, where he belongs.

And he learned that in Turkey and he can learn to want to even more if it can get him a gig in the bigs.

dim4sum
06-18-2010, 01:11 PM
Rebounding is often mind over matter. Sheer aggressiveness wins. Notice guards like Rondo and Nate Robinson get a disproportionate share of rebounds for their size. They want the ball more than anything. If Josh thinks that way he has a shot, if not, forget about it. Nothing wrong with his stroke, but if he wants a career in the NBA he has to board. Period.

WeSayZed
06-18-2010, 01:27 PM
If they lose Bosh, does that help Josh?

Pargo should get another shot with somebody, I'd think, considering how well he did in Israel.
I depends on who the Raptors get for Bosh, and what the plan is for their current bench bigs. Patrick O'Bryant and Reggie "ball crusher" Evans are their end of the bench bigs now, but Evans has an expiring contract that could be included in a trade and POB is a FA this summer. Amir Johnson is also a FA, but I'm sure the Raptors will re-sign him.

ZagNut08
06-18-2010, 01:28 PM
Rumors may have bosh to Lakers for Bynum + fillers

Zagalicious
06-18-2010, 01:28 PM
BobZag...I thought Pargo did get invited to Bobcats (or another team) summer camp.

WeSayZed
06-18-2010, 01:38 PM
If that happens then Bargnani will probably move to PF, and if Johnson is re-signed he'll be the first big off the bench. If Reggie isn't traded this summer he'll get some minutes here and there to do his thing, and that's it for players who are currently under contract. I wouldn't be surprised if POB is brought back but I don't think that's a sure thing, and if he gets any more than a minimum offer from another team he could well decide to leave.

BobZag
06-18-2010, 04:05 PM
BobZag...I thought Pargo did get invited to Bobcats (or another team) summer camp.

That could be. I tend to lose track. I do hope so, though. It appears as if he has improved.

Re: Josh. I'm strictly referring to him being a possible quality backup/depth for a team like Toronto.

BobZag
06-18-2010, 04:10 PM

If Mitch pulls that off, Lakers will be scary good for years. Kobe, Bosh, Gasol, that's a killer trio with Odom, Artest, etc. Seems a good PG would put them over the top. Pargo? :)

LynetteG
06-18-2010, 04:54 PM
Wouldn't that be interesting if the 'filler' is Ammo, and then they also pick up Heytvelt! :) Sawweett!

gopackgozags
06-18-2010, 08:40 PM
If Mitch pulls that off, Lakers will be scary good for years. Kobe, Bosh, Gasol, that's a killer trio with Odom, Artest, etc. Seems a good PG would put them over the top. Pargo? :)

It's hard to get much more over the top than two championships in a row, but an All-Star caliber PG would undoubtedly be a huge improvement. I have to wonder though, would having the two best power forwards in the game be enough to counterbalance lining up D.J. Mbenga/Josh Powell at center?

MDABE80
06-18-2010, 10:26 PM
Josh seems to have finally come alive. He had the talent at GU but he didn't apply himself. Good to know he's doing well and has a good opportunity to get back here and get some good work done. I'm a bit sour....I remember lots of bench time, the "other" time, and his last game against North Carolina. I also remember (painfully) the hope I had for him. I, as well as CDC used to refer to Josh fielding balls on the run and then dunking...like an oversized guard.. Incredibly difficult and complex move but marvelous athleticism.

It would be Sooooooo nice to see him finally achieve what we all know he could from day one. Superior talent...if he ever developes a "superior" head to go along with that, he'd be close to unstoppable. Go Josh!