PDA

View Full Version : Trailblazers Look at Matt Bouldin

ZagNative
06-17-2010, 06:03 PM
From Oregonlive.com (http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindblazersbeat/2010/06/trail_blazers_another_day_anot.html):
Trail Blazers: A look at the last two days of predraft visitors
Published: Thursday, June 17, 2010, 12:09 PM Updated: Thursday, June 17, 2010, 2:24 PM

TUALATIN — The Trail Blazers have evaluated 12 college prospects the past two days as they continue predraft workouts in preparation for the NBA Draft.

The visitors included three 7-footers, a player with Portland ties, a player who shattered a backboard during a college game and at least one legitimate first-round prospect.

Here's a closer look at the 12 prospects, including a brief scouting report from Chad Buchanan, the Blazers' director of college scouting:

Matt Bouldin
Vitals: 6-foot-5, 224 pounds, guard, Gonzaga
Notable: A three-time All-West Coast Conference First-Team member and the conference's Player of the Year as a senior, when he also was an AP All-American honorable mention selection. ... A Bob Cousy Award Top 11 finalist as a senior. ... Finished sixth in scoring (1,683 points), third in steals (170) and fifth in assists (444) in Gonzaga history. ... Averaged 15.6 points, 4.0 assists and 4.7 rebounds per game as a senior.
Buck’s take: "Big, physical guard. High, high IQ. He's probably one of the smartest guys, as far as making decisions with the ball, that we'll bring through here this month. Has got to become a more consistent shooter. But his size is a great asset for him. He can really pass the ball."
If you followed him on twitter, you'd know that he hit the Nike employee store Tuesday, thinks "Knight's Tale" is a "classic" and, with a few exceptions, considers soccer players to be "lawn gnomes."
... to which Matt tweets:
G.R.I.N.D.
about 4 hours ago via UberTwitter

mattbouldin15
Matt Bouldin

The Oregon Spike
06-19-2010, 10:29 AM
I would love, love, love to see Matt Bouldin in PDX!

bullzag23
06-19-2010, 03:10 PM
I would love, love, love to see Matt Bouldin in PDX!

I'd like to see that as well! It seems unlikely but given the Blazers' uncertainty at the PG spot after Andre Miller who knows? Bouldin's got a better jump shot than Bayless but doesn't have the same ability to get to the rim and Bayless' D is a step above Matt's as well.

JPtheBeasta
06-19-2010, 04:15 PM
I'd like to see that as well! It seems unlikely but given the Blazers' uncertainty at the PG spot after Andre Miller who knows? Bouldin's got a better jump shot than Bayless but doesn't have the same ability to get to the rim and Bayless' D is a step above Matt's as well.

The fact that the Blazers gave solid minutes to Andre Miller is encouraging in that it shows they are willing to play a big physical PG that may lack a step when compared to other guys. I think Matt's shot is better (and should improve over time), and he is quicker, at this point of his career. If Matt can show Coach Nate some hustle and some toughness on D, I think he has a legitimate shot. Nate also has a track record going back to the Sonics with giving minutes to Earl Watson, who I feel wasn't exactly fast or a great shooter either. With his bball IQ, I would trust Matt to run a team over Bayless, who has athleticism but hasn't shown the ability to create for others in the minutes I have seen him play. I would love to see Matty make the next step- and some of this may all be driven by the heart more than the mind- but I think he has a legitimate shot.

JohnoZAG
06-21-2010, 06:10 PM
http://www.iamatrailblazersfan.com/Home/Photos/OfficialGalleryAlbum/tabid/165/NoOwner/-1/GalleryView/MediaViewSSP/AlbumID/118401/MediaID/2309138/Default.aspx

LAZAGFAN11
06-21-2010, 08:41 PM
Bouldin getting some pub down here in LA, as the Lakers have 2 2nd round picks:

http://www.ksn.com/sports/nba/story/Los-Angeles-Lakers-2010-Draft-Preview/gEOlY8DHnUazJog2M-seAw.cspx

FuManShoes
06-21-2010, 09:27 PM
Bouldin getting some pub down here in LA, as the Lakers have 2 2nd round picks:

http://www.ksn.com/sports/nba/story/Los-Angeles-Lakers-2010-Draft-Preview/gEOlY8DHnUazJog2M-seAw.cspx

Kind of odd that Matt's mentioned since he doesn't seem like the pure shooter they're looking for. I hope he gets a look and a contract from a team that will actually play him, if only in doses.

Xin Loi 67
06-22-2010, 06:41 AM
This past 8 days have been busy for Matt starting last Sunday in Oklahoma City, then on to LA, Portland, San Antonio and finishing in Dallas yesterday. With his leg in much better shape he was able to carry out his pre-draft campaign. Call backs, post workout interviews, workout schedule inquiries all indicate Matt did his job. Now we shall see where his efforts have taken him. His confidence and spirits are high and we are now left with the wait.

jb

MickMick
06-22-2010, 06:48 AM
Hard to tell. I can't figure the NBA out.

How can you take Blake Griffin's brother (Taylor Griffin) over Josh Heytvelt?

Nothing would surprise me.

LynetteG
06-22-2010, 11:37 AM

i think because his last name is Griffin and he's sitting in the audience...?

AzZag
06-22-2010, 12:14 PM

Yeah, well, how can you cheer on the team that took that bozo? When the Suns took Taylor Griffin, I threw everything I owned at the TV. If his name was Taylor Jones or Taylor Smith, he would not have been drafted. Now all he does is sit on the Suns bench with a giant red bow tie and a suit. However, to his credit, I'd do the same for the league minium. Heck, I'd wear a dress every game if they asked---and paid.

GonzagasaurusFlex
06-22-2010, 01:09 PM
Good article about the Pacers draft needs and possibility/pressure(?) to pick Gordon Heyward.

www.cbssports.com/nba/story/13551509/wanting-to-win-now-pacers-trade-pick-for-pg?tag=headlines;other

I like how Bird is so straightforward. Hope they use a pick on Bouldin and give him a shot. Anyone know if Matty B. worked out for the Pacers?

If not with the Blazers, then I'd love to see the Pacers give Bouldin a shot at developing into an NBA PG. A good change of pace and style off the bench for their likely starting PG, TJ Ford.