PDA

View Full Version : The NBPA Camp Results Thread

BobZag
06-16-2010, 09:14 AM
The camp begins today and goes through the 19th. Scout and Rivals will be there in full force. As noted before, Zagcruits Wiltjer, Lucas, Powell and future Zag Bell, Jr. will be participating. I wish future Zag Dranginis and guys like Tebbutt, Adams and Jerrett, along with Canadian Pangos and Notice were there, too, but July awaits them and Pangos/Notice are gearing up for U17 Team Canada.

Results and analysis sould be rolling in fairly soon.

The following, from the Nike Hoops Jam, is why I wish Jerrett were there:

Grant Jerrett, PF, La Verne (Calif.) Lutheran- We don't see any way high major coaches don't fall in love with the fundamentally sound, hard playing 6-foot-8 ? power forward. He has very high shoulders and because of that looks a bit shorter than he really is. He's been well coached to this point and competes on both ends in all aspects of the game.

ZagNative
06-17-2010, 04:21 PM
There's a Rivals story up (http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1095289), but didn't see a mention any of the guys we're watching.

This is the first thing I've seen concerning one we're following:
Kyle Wiltjer is hanging around the perimeter a bit much. The 6'9, 230lb big man has already shot two threes.
39 minutes ago via UberTwitter

NorthstarBbal (http://twitter.com/NorthstarBball/statuses/16424924163)l
Northstar Basketball

BroncoZAG615
06-17-2010, 04:27 PM
For having every big time recruiting analyst in the building, the updates have been pretty atrocious.

Just saw a Rivals article mentioning Wiltjer but it was barely a sentence. Oh well. Hopefully more soon.

ZagNative
06-17-2010, 04:32 PM
For having every big time recruiting analyst in the building, the updates have been pretty atrocious.

Just saw a Rivals article mentioning Wiltjer but it was barely a sentence. Oh well. Hopefully more soon.You've got that right! Telep and Daniels must have decided to hold their tweets. They've been useless.

ZagNative
06-17-2010, 04:39 PM
Couple more from NorthstarBball (http://twitter.com/NorthstarBball):
# NorthstarBball Kyle Wiltjer for 3 to cut the lead to 4. Magic fighting back.
40 minutes ago via UberTwitter

# Northstar_logo_2_normal NorthstarBball Kyle Wiltjer runs for an O board in the corner, posts up, spins, baby hooks it in. Nice, nice play.
42 minutes ago via UberTwitter

I've got to think Joel Francisco or one of the other guys from ESPN is there, but no updates so far. Maybe they'll have something up after the camp is over. It's too good an opportunity to scout so many of the best kids in the country to think they'd pass on it.

ZagNative
06-17-2010, 10:49 PM
From Goazcats (Rivals) (http://arizona.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1095452), a day 1 report:
Landen Lucas, 2012 PF:

One of the few 2012 players in attendance, Lucas definitely had his work cut out for him going up against a more experienced and physically stronger group. He played hard but in limited touches he only scored 2 points in each contest.

Lucas is an interesting prospect because while he's not athletic, he has a big body, plays hard, has soft hands and good footwork. He does struggle against longer and more athletic posts, but once he has some more strength to add to his skill level, he will be a much tougher player to stop.

Many big men get the ball in the post and don't even consider looking for teammates. The good thing about Lucas is that he's a very good passer from the paint and is looking for a teammate the second a double team comes.

His upside may not be as high as other bigs in his class due to his athleticism, but he has a lot of tools to work with moving forward.
Norman Powell, 2011 SG:

It was a tough day for Powell, who is coming off a dominant showing at Pangos. His shot just wasn't going down in either game and he was clearly frustrated. He also saw some of his takes to the basket result in blocks, which is unlike him considering his athleticism.

He ended up with 6 points in the first game and 4 in the second. He's too good of a player not to bounce back on Friday.And in the "Ah-C'mon-that's-not-fair" category:
Each team has a former NBA player on their bench to help coach it. For teammates Jahii Carson and Landen Lucas, that player is ex-Wildcat Sean Rooks. Apparently, Rooks has been close with the Lucas family for several years.

Also from goazcats.com (http://arizona.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1095088), in a feature on Landen Lucas:
"My recruitment is going great," Lucas said. "It's a lot earlier than I would have expected but right now things are really picking up for me. I'm hearing from all the Pac-10, Georgetown, Texas, Kansas and Florida. Arizona is coming on strong so that's nice."

After the summer, Lucas is planning on going on a trip with his family to take unofficial visits to some of the schools on his list.

"We're going to try and come down and do an Arizona, Arizona State visit and then come over to California and probably see two California schools," Lucas said. "It will probably be near football season so I can come check a football game. I'd like to get some unofficial visits to closer schools so I can take my official visits further away."Drat. No Zaga mention ..

BobZag
06-18-2010, 08:44 AM
Kyle Wiltjer, C – At first glance Wiltjer won’t overwhelm you. He doesn’t have great speed and he’s just an average athlete. But what makes him such an impressive player is his overall skill set and soft touch around the basket. He’s capable of dropping in hooks with either hand, has a number of moves on the block and he’ll step out and knock down three-pointers.

And a snippet on Landen Lucas:

Landen Lucas may have been frustrated with his touches but it didn’t stop him from getting water for every one of his teammates during a break.

BobZag
06-18-2010, 08:53 AM
Two five-star power forwards Anthony Davis and Kyle Wiltjer squared off against each other in what was a pretty even match up. Wiltjer showed some creativity as a scorer and Davis was active on the boards and as a shot blocker.

And...

Norman Powell is one of the more physical and athletic shooting guards in the class. He is on the verge of taking his game to another level if he can develop a more consistent jump shot by getting more arc on the flight of his ball.

ZagNative
06-18-2010, 09:08 AM
From True Blue Kentucky (http://www.truebluekentucky.com/index.php/basketball/926-guest-basketball/3324-nba-camp-thursday-night-recap-a-scoring-leaders.html):
Here is the recap of Thursday night's games at NBA Player's Association Camp as provided by the NBPA (no idea who writes them). Following this recap is the list of every player and his scoring average and individual game scoring.Below are the team results for some of the players we've been following, which shows their team rosters:

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Screenprints/2010-06-18NBPACampstats.jpg

BroncoZAG615
06-18-2010, 11:02 AM
From True Blue Kentucky (http://www.truebluekentucky.com/index.php/basketball/926-guest-basketball/3324-nba-camp-thursday-night-recap-a-scoring-leaders.html):Below are the team results for some of the players we've been following, which shows their team rosters:

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Screenprints/2010-06-18NBPACampstats.jpg

Not surprisingly, it seems like most of the backcourt shots for the Cavs are going to Myck Kabongo. Gary might just be playing more as a facilitator at the camp. That's fine, we all know what he can do.

As an aside, Kabongo has been lighting it up this summer. Sounds like he is a seriously elite talent.

ZagNative
06-18-2010, 11:10 AM
Not surprisingly, it seems like most of the backcourt shots for the Cavs are going to Myck Kabongo. Gary might just be playing more as a facilitator at the camp. That's fine, we all know what he can do.

As an aside, Kabongo has been lighting it up this summer. Sounds like he is a seriously elite talent.Yeah, I thought it was helpful to see which team a kid was playing on and who a kid's teammates were The TBK blog was the first place I'd seen that listed and helped explain to me why we haven't heard more about GBJ. Important thing is what he's learning at the camp.

ZagNative
06-18-2010, 12:54 PM
Stolen fron a SSF Tweet, comes this from Clint Jackson (http://twitter.com/clintjackson1):

My vote for the best wing defender at NBA Top 100 Camp is Norman Powell, 6-3, 205 lb SG from San Diego. Great footwork and balance on D
about 1 hour ago via web
clintjackson1
Clint Jackson
Jackson also tweeted these tidbits:
Best players, not prospects, at the NBA Top 100 Camp are Kabongo, PJ Hairston, Amile Jefferson, Norman Powell, Tracy Abrams, Purvis, cont.
about 1 hour ago via web And I liked this one:
Some of these goofballs that consider themselves "media" need to be shot. An industry of professionals, hanger-ons and straight morons.

BobZag
06-18-2010, 01:52 PM
Myck is a scoring PG, the kind I like, but that means Gary is not likely getting many shots. There's only one ball. Myck scored 38-39 in that Canadian All-Star game. But he'll be terrific for Texas, perhaps filling Avery Bradley's void, and Gary will be equally terrific for Gonzaga. Btw, Gary will be at GU Team Camp a week from this Monday.

maynard g krebs
06-18-2010, 02:14 PM
At the Nike international tourney in Portland last summer, when Kabongo had the ball Canada mostly spread the floor and he'd go one on one and dish off only if one of the bigs helped. Super quick, sort of a bigger Aaron Brooks at that age but without as good a jumpshot imo.

Personally I like Gary's game better. More willing and able to be a facilitator rather than just a scorer, although not quite the athlete Kabongo is.

ZagNative
06-18-2010, 02:23 PM
Results for for the Friday morning games from, from True Blue Kentucky (http://www.truebluekentucky.com/index.php/basketball/926-guest-basketball/3329-nba-players-camp-friday-morning-session.html), filtered below for the Zagcruit' teams:

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Screenprints/2010-06-18NBPACampstats-am.jpg

BroncoZAG615
06-18-2010, 02:29 PM
Results for for the Friday morning games from, from True Blue Kentucky (http://www.truebluekentucky.com/index.php/basketball/926-guest-basketball/3329-nba-players-camp-friday-morning-session.html), filtered below for the Zagcruit' teams:

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Screenprints/2010-06-18NBPACampstats-am.jpg

It's funny. It looks like Landen Lucas has done the least but is getting a lot of pub this week.

I saw Dave Telep tweet that he got his entire team water during a timeout and every Scout has taken notice of his physique.

CDC84
06-18-2010, 03:09 PM
Another nice thing about Lucas: 3.7 GPA. The Pacific NW not only has a ton of talented kids right now, but so many of them - Wiltjer, Bell Jr., Tebbutt, etc. - do well in the classroom.

BobZag
06-18-2010, 04:49 PM
One little item I neglected to mention...

In the blurb above about Wiltjer playing Anthony Davis straight up, it should be noted that Davis is ranked #7 by Rivals and will probably end up at Ohio State or Syracuse, and could very well be a one-and-done caliber kid.

BobZag
06-19-2010, 08:49 AM
Norman Powell, SG – Over the past few weeks Powell has managed to grow on me. A much better athlete than I realized, Powell, a 6-foot-3, 190-pound guard, his scoring package Friday. He has a good-looking stroke from deep, but also showed a mid-range jumper and a nice euro-step move in transition. He’s easily one of the best prospects on the west coast.

Gary Bell, SG – After a somewhat slow camp, Bell, a 6-foot-2, 190-pound guard, got after it Friday night. He got it going with a three-pointer off the catch then he began attacking the basket. He’s a physical guard that doesn’t mind a little contact and plays hard on both ends. The Zags scored a good one in Bell.

-----------------------------------

The best outlet passer in camp appears to be Landen Lucas. He’s not a bad passer from the high post either. Guys like this are make their bones in college basketball as someone you can run offense through. He thinks the game; only a junior.

Gary Bell has a rep as a defender. At the end of regulation, he guarded Marcus Paige and then helped down in the lane. It was a high level defensive play that speaks to his IQ and ability. …

BobZag
06-19-2010, 09:02 AM
It took him a few rounds of games to get going, but Gonzaga pledge Gary Bell warmed up a little on Friday. He remains a high level defender on the perimeter, but he is a bit in between positions (point and shooting guard) in both size and style of play.

Landen Lucas just keeps plugging along and picking up buckets where he can. The 6-foot-8 junior to be has a strong body, knows how to play in the paint and gives a consistent effort.

ZagNative
06-19-2010, 09:05 AM
From Dave Telep on Twitter (http://twitter.com/DaveTelep/statuses/16556663037):

Kevin Keatts and the Spurs lost the toilet bowl. Wiltjer dropped 26 for the victors. Check out the trophy http://yfrog.com/ju33qj

about 1 hour ago via Twitter for iPhone

DaveTelep
Dave Telep

BobZag
06-19-2010, 09:23 AM
Man, do I ever hope Few gets Wiltjer.

Love the reports on Bell's defense, too.

ZagNative
06-19-2010, 10:03 AM
Day 2, Part B rundown from Dave Telep at Scout (http://scouthoops.scout.com/2/978534.html):
The best outlet passer in camp appears to be Landen Lucas. He’s not a bad passer from the high post either. Guys like this are make their bones in college basketball as someone you can run offense through. He thinks the game; only a junior. …

Gary Bell has a rep as a defender. At the end of regulation, he guarded Marcus Paige and then helped down in the lane. It was a high level defensive play that speaks to his IQ and ability. …

BobZag
06-19-2010, 10:35 AM
Landen Lucas, 2012 PF:

One of the few 2012 players in attendance, Lucas definitely had his work cut out for him going up against a more experienced and physically stronger group. He played hard but in limited touches he only scored 2 points in each contest.

Lucas is an interesting prospect because while he's not athletic, he has a big body, plays hard, has soft hands and good footwork. He does struggle against longer and more athletic posts, but once he has some more strength to add to his skill level, he will be a much tougher player to stop.

Many big men get the ball in the post and don't even consider looking for teammates. The good thing about Lucas is that he's a very good passer from the paint and is looking for a teammate the second a double team comes.

His upside may not be as high as other bigs in his class due to his athleticism, but he has a lot of tools to work with moving forward.

--------------------------------------

Lucas was better in his first game on Friday than he had been on Thursday, scoring 6 points by playing hard and using his footwork to create for himself in the post. He was injured at the beginning of his second game and sat out the duration of the night.

Big guys often don't get many chances to score, but Lucas seems content to play within the team concept and focus on winning beyond everything else, which he should be doing.

Again, his athleticism is limited but we've heard the team setting is where he truly stands out. It will be interesting to see how he progresses over the next year.

cggonzaga
06-19-2010, 01:25 PM
From Reggie Rankin

On a steal at half court, Norman Powell (San Diego, Calif. / Lincoln) accelerated to the rim for a windmill dunk that brought the crowd to its feet. The super athletic wing exploded off the floor like a rocket and finished this dunk face-to-face with the rim.

How great would his athleticism look at GU?

dim4sum
06-19-2010, 01:57 PM
Since they are both about the same size with neither being endowed with a lot of quicks, I wonder if there's anyone out there that can assess Mallon vs. Wiltjer at a comparable phase of development? Just curious since I never saw Mallon in HS and only have video highlight clips to go on for Wiltjer.

BobZag
06-19-2010, 02:45 PM
Mallon was a very good high school player, better than most think. He was a star at that level, and he just cracked some top-100 lists. That said, Wiltjer is consensus top-25 and he simply looks better and has more elite schools offering him. But as great a high school scorer as Morrison was, he needed way more shots to get to Mallon's GSL record.

ZagNative
06-19-2010, 08:07 PM
Nice tournament wrap up at NBEBasketball.com (http://www.nbebasketball.com/w3/2010-0619/nbpa-top-100-final-recaps-scoring-leaders-awards/).

Copied from their scoring leaders:

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Screenprints/Fullscreencapture619201084340PMbmp.jpg

The danger in these types of stats, IMO, is that they don't tell you enough. For example, I had observed some head-shaking among some twitter posts about both of the leaders, Hairston and Young, such as these:

About Hairston, who was on Wiltjer's team:

# Northstar_logo_2_normal NorthstarBball Unless he comes back in, which I doubt considering the substitution patterns at camp, PJ Hairston just went a full game without passing once
1 day ago via UberTwitter

# Northstar_logo_2_normal NorthstarBball PJ Hairston has not passed the ball during this game. He has a lot of points though.

# Northstar_logo_2_normal NorthstarBball As I said last night, PJ Hairston is a great scorer...but he must, must, must learn to share the basketball. 1 day ago via UberTwitter

About BJ Young:

NorthstarBball Didn't see the 1st half, but BJ Young didn't pass in the 2nd half of the game. He's definitely a talented guy though
about 12 hours ago via UberTwitter
EvanDanielscout Now BJ Young clearly isn't a fan of passing the rock...but he gets to rim and can really score
# P7150017_normal ebosshoops B.J. Young is a talent, but at this point I wouldn't blame his teammates for freezing him out. He's not exactly been a willing distributor.

Edited to add: On a more positive note, comments about Zagcruits from the linked story:

#6 Hornets 69, #3 Cavs 64
D’Angelo Harrison netted 16 points and Alex Poythress came up big from the foul line late as the Hornets sporting the #6 seed slipped past the third seeded Cavs 69-64. A tight contest throughout held form as the teams battled down the stretch with the Hornets seizing the lead at 63-60 then a tough inside hoop from the Cavs Anthony Gill narrowed
the score even tighter. Poythress then converted from the line and the Hornets held on to advance to this afternoon’s semi-final against the Pistons. Poythress and Derrick Wilson scored 10 apiece for the winners. Gary Bell led the Cavs with 13 points while Austin Etherington and Gill finished with 10.
Cavs 61, Magic 56

Anthony Gill scored 16 points and helped lead the Cavs past the Magic 61-56 in an evening consolation contest. Julian Royal finished with 11 and Dorian Finney-Smith added 10 for the winners. Michael Carter-Williams led all scorers with 18 points for the Magic. P.J. Hairston and Kyle Wiltjer added 11 each for the Magic.

thespywhozaggedme
06-19-2010, 08:40 PM
Myck is a scoring PG, the kind I like, but that means Gary is not likely getting many shots. There's only one ball. Myck scored 38-39 in that Canadian All-Star game. But he'll be terrific for Texas, perhaps filling Avery Bradley's void, and Gary will be equally terrific for Gonzaga. Btw, Gary will be at GU Team Camp a week from this Monday.

Kabongo's an '11. Cojo this fall then Myck next year, back to back Canadian pg's in Austin.

BobZag
06-20-2010, 09:04 AM
GOAZCATS.com--

The good thing about the NBPA Camp for Landen Lucas is that he'll leave with the experience of going up against all the best big men in the 2011 class, so he knows exactly what he has to work on over the next year.

Lucas finished up with 4 points in his quarterfinals loss, but followed it up 10 points in his final game. He has a believer in [Sean] Rooks, who coached him at the camp.

"Landen is very young but comes from a good background with his dad being a really solid player at the University of Oregon," Rooks said. "It's great to see him come out here. He's a tremendous rebounder and still has a lot to learn, but didn't we all when we were sophomores going into our junior year?"

ZagNative
06-20-2010, 06:08 PM
Zach Bell has done a great writeup on the camp over on SSF (http://www.slipperstillfits.com/2010/6/20/1527585/bell-wiltjer-and-other-zag). Really nice job of pulling a lot of information together, SSF!

ZagNative
06-21-2010, 10:19 AM
Just found a great Youtube video of highlights from the camp (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htKLa7YQex0&feature=youtu.be&a). I didn't see or look for any of the guys we've been following, but the video is more about the drills the kids went through at camp. Fun to watch!

BobZag
06-21-2010, 10:43 AM
Landen Lucas has a ways to go.

Not so much with Kyle Wiltjer:

Kyle Wiltjer (West Linn, Ore./Jesuit) is as skilled a power forward as any in the class. He can score inside and out to the arc. Wiltjer's offensive footwork and shooting touch is a thing of beauty. Many major programs admire his versatility, skill level and size.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/mens/news/story?id=5310182

CDC84
06-21-2010, 11:33 AM
That video is fantastic. Lots of good skill instruction. One of the instructors at that camp has got insane ballhandling skills.

maynard g krebs
06-21-2010, 02:08 PM
Zach Bell has done a great writeup on the camp over on SSF (http://www.slipperstillfits.com/2010/6/20/1527585/bell-wiltjer-and-other-zag). Really nice job of pulling a lot of information together, SSF!

"As a fan, I find myself infatuated with Gary Bell because of his ability to adapt to any role".

Great quote.

ZagNative
06-21-2010, 05:05 PM
"As a fan, I find myself infatuated with Gary Bell because of his ability to adapt to any role".

Great quote.Infatuated? Interesting choice of words ...

Definition: "infatuated - marked by foolish or unreasoning fondness."

I'm working on my T-shirt design even as we speak. Ugliest T-shirt ever ...

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_UkLNCxT74w4/TCANbS4x0xI/AAAAAAAA2TM/sOCbapBZRDg/Fool%20for%20Gary.jpg

Hey! It's the off-season! Anybody got any valium on 'em?

BroncoZAG615
06-21-2010, 05:47 PM
Infatuated? Interesting choice of words ...

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_UkLNCxT74w4/TCANbS4x0xI/AAAAAAAA2TM/sOCbapBZRDg/Fool%20for%20Gary.jpg

I'll take several of those shirts!

ZagNative
06-21-2010, 05:55 PM
I'll take several of those shirts!You, sir, are a man of impeccable taste!

maynard g krebs
06-22-2010, 11:50 AM
Infatuated? Interesting choice of words ...

A quote from the link. Guess I focused more on "ability to adapt to any role", a key reason I think Gary will be the most important guard at GU since Stepp, assuming no major injuries.

Then again, foolish or unreasoning fondness is at the heart of what being a sports fan is.

BobZag
06-24-2010, 05:34 PM
Lucas did not put up gaudy numbers while at the University of Virginia for the event [Nike Hoop Jam], but he did average a solid 4.0 points per game, with a single game high of 10. In addition, Lucas did a good job of rebounding the basketball.

Washington, Washington State, Oregon, Oregon State, Cal, Stanford, USC, UCLA, Gonzaga, Texas, Kansas, Florida, Vanderbilt, Georgetown, Arizona State, and Arizona are the schools that Lucas said are recruiting him. He claims offers from Washington, Washington State, Oregon, Oregon State, Cal, USC, Georgetown, Arizona State, and Arizona. Lucas has no favorites as of now, but does plan on trimming his list down shortly.

“I’m gonna narrow it down after the summer to five or ten, under 10,” he said. “I’ll have my decision likely before my senior season because I wanna enjoy senior year and know where I’m going.”