If Rob does leave early, who's our center for '11?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thespywhozaggedme
    Banned
    • Feb 2007

If Rob does leave early, who's our center for '11?

Keep in mind, I did say if, and I know most of you disagree with me, but I still think if he put's up 13/8, or something close to that, he's gone. For selfish reasons, I hope that I'm wrong. But, say hypothetically that I am right, who takes over @ center? Sam isn't tall enough, is he? Kelly isn't wide/big enough is he? Potential recruits Nelson Henry @ the Bhullar Bros. are 2012, correct? So, who's our center after Rob, if he does leave early?
  • BobZag
    Dark Lord of the Zag
    • Jan 2007

Sam Dower. jmo.
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Comment

• thespywhozaggedme
      Banned
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by BobZag View Post
      Sam Dower. jmo.
      Yea, you think he's big enough? What's he about 6'8?

Comment

• BobZag
        Dark Lord of the Zag
        • Jan 2007

Originally posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
        Yea, you think he's big enough? What's he about 6'8?
        6'9" and by 2011 will be a solid 250#.

Comment

• stevet75
          Professional Zag Fan
          • Feb 2007

Wasn't Batista 6"9"? He seemed to overcome his vertical challenge.
          “People have an uncanny ability to make me think I am smarter than I really am. Human Beings bring me back to reality.” S.T.

Comment

• Gonezagaga
            Kennel Club Material
            • Feb 2007

I stood next to Batista on more than one occasion and would guess he wasn't much taller than 6'7". I think if he was 6'9" he would be in the NBA.

Comment

• Reborn
              Zag for Life
              • Oct 2007

Originally posted by BobZag View Post
              6'9" and by 2011 will be a solid 250#.
              Little Baby maybe? Boy have I ever enjoyed HIS game with Boston Celtics. That JuJuan Johnson the center for Purdue is a great center, and I think he's only 6'9".

However we will have 6'11" Kelly Olynyk who just could be 7'0" by his Junior year, and way more muscular. I really like Kelly, and haven't seen Dower play yet.
              Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Comment

• MDABE80
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Sam can play center...like it's an important position name anymore? I've said this for years: no matter what it's called, an athletic big man is what's needed. 6 ft 8-9 in is plenty.

Kelly would shock me if he's ever muscular....it could happen but man he'd need a whole new diet and tons of gym work. He's not much of leaper either.

I know this: I'm NOT suiting up again! period! We'll find a good one if Rob leaves. He won't...he's got a solid committment to us. He'll live it out....and excell. Believe me...he needs work if he'll see the NBA first round. He can do it but mid season he dropped out last year...after an amazing warriorlike start. He needs to have 1 full season of intensity...and he's in.

Comment

• BobZag
                  Dark Lord of the Zag
                  • Jan 2007

Originally posted by MDABE80 View Post
                  Sam can play center...like it's an important position name anymore? I've said this for years: no matter what it's called, an athletic big man is what's needed. 6 ft 8-9 in is plenty.

Kelly would shock me if he's ever muscular....it could happen but man he'd need a whole new diet and tons of gym work. He's not much of leaper either.

I know this: I'm NOT suiting up again! period! We'll find a good one if Rob leaves. He won't...he's got a solid committment to us. He'll live it out....and excell. Believe me...he needs work if he'll see the NBA first round. He can do it but mid season he dropped out last year...after an amazing warriorlike start. He needs to have 1 full season of intensity...and he's in.
                  Agree wholeheartedly.

Comment

• hooter73
                    Zag for Life
                    • Jun 2008

Kelly and Sam will be on forward that plays center duty ala Austin (to a lessor extent) and Josh. I dont think NCAA hoops will turn completely like euro ball and will still have a need and usefulness for true centers even though winning teams more often than not are doing without.

Comment

• webspinnre
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

The days of the true center in NCAA basketball are long gone. Sam can play the '5' that is currently used in college.
                      I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Comment

• Reborn
                        Zag for Life
                        • Oct 2007

We must remember that Mark Few likes low post players who can play with their backs to the basket and who can develop an array of low post moves, as well as learn to pass. The passing part is where Rob really needs to improve. If he leaves the Zags will need someone who can post up low. Few was never happy with Heytvelt playing the 5 because he continually wanted to play outside. If Rob leaves, and neither Kelly or Sam can post up low than I say Few will bring in a Junior college player as he did with JP.
                        Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Comment

• kitzbuel
                          • Feb 2007

2011 is Rob Sacre. If he were to not be available due to injury or some other issue, Sam Dower is the man.

After that it is between Dower and Darien Nelson-Henry.
                          'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
                          - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Comment

• snebzag
                            Kennel Club
                            • Mar 2008

This subject still bothers me, I don't know why. I have been told the teams that go deep only have one true Center, the teams that go deep don't need a 7' tall monster. Still I worry. Injury or RS goes early, who fills in? Sudden Sam with a year under his belt may do fine, but I like a guy who is a Center, only plays center. I don't know why I keep thinking this way when it has all been put to bed by those on the board much wiser than I. Still I just can't leave it alone. I want a BIG man on the dotted line. Deliver me from evil and the re-occuring dream where Stockton is jumping center at the tip cause he's our big man. Shivers......Mommy!

Comment

• dim4sum
                              Banned
                              • Jun 2007

remote chances

There is a remote chance, if any, Rob will leave early. If by next season he eliminates the following tragic flaws, then who knows what can happen:
                              1. Surprise people on offense. While he ponders his turnaround jump, anyone with quick hands can do something to disrupt his efforts.
                              2. Involve your teammates. Pass out from a double team.
                              3. When you board, ignite a fast break with Waltonesque outlet passes.
                              4. Play intimidating D without fouling.
                              5. Take trampoline lessons. A guy your size should be blocking three times as many shots.
                              6. Get serious. Get angry. Get intense.
                              Do all that and you could go in 2011. But it won't happen, trust me.

Comment

Working...
                              X