PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Zag PG insights thus far

BobZag
05-09-2007, 09:50 AM
1. Nothing but bad reports on Jordon Theodore...
2. Larry Drew looked bad, more of a shooting guard than point guard and quite small.
3. I wasn't impressed at all with Darian Norris when I saw him in Vegas.
-Rivals' Jerry Meyer

Note: Despite looking bad, Drew is expected to commit to Arizona or Carolina by mid-June.

hls97
05-09-2007, 11:18 AM
"Nothing but bad reports on Jordon Theodore." What the heck does that mean? Is he not playing well? Does he have off-the-court issues? Has his stock fallen that dramatically?

CDC84
05-09-2007, 11:24 AM
Theodore and Drew have not played well in recent AAU tourneys.

spudzag
05-09-2007, 11:27 AM
I'm still high on Jordan Theodore, don't really have any great reason other than stale information.

There have been a few other names floating around without comment for a while. What do we know about;
-Reggie Moore
-Nate Garth
-Rotnei Clarke
-Patrick McCollum
-Demetri Goodson

A shooting guard, but what about D.J. Seeley?

jigga5
05-09-2007, 11:47 AM
Im glad people are starting to realize how overrated drew is. I 100% agree with him looking like a two guard in a point body. All I saw him do was shoot the outside shot all game. He has no shot at the league. However, I dont think hes that small though he is a legit 6 feet and has long arms. But he doesnt play like a pg so he seems undersized for the two.

Baldwinzag
05-09-2007, 12:00 PM
and nothing but stellar reports on Brad Tinsley. He is looking better and better every day and receives rave reviews following every tourney he plays in. Recall how high we were on JT's potential interest, yet filled with pessimism & doubt on Tinsley becoming a Zag? The tables have certainly turned, which is quite expected during the recruiting process. Although I'd still love to have Theodore, here's to securing a Tinsley commitment sooner than later!! IMO, Tinsley would be an ideal fit and he exudes Zag material....

Nevtelen
05-09-2007, 12:17 PM
I'd be pretty happy with any of Theodore, Tinsley, or Clarke. I suppose I don't have much info about Theodore except good reviews from this board and a short internet clip, but he seemed to be pretty good. I have to agree with some others that Tinsely just sounds like a good decision (except how is he at running a team, as opposed to scoring? He sounds more like an SG playing the PG sometimes than a real PG. We already have good shooting guards). I really like Clarke, too - I just have a weakness for shooters and he seems like a fantastic one. But can he run a team and be a PG not an SG? I hope all these questions get answered and we get one of these guys pretty soon.

former1dog
05-09-2007, 12:20 PM
I'm also on the Tinsley bandwagon. He is a combo guard, though, more than a pure PG. At least that's what I have heard. I want him on the team.

But, this brings me to my point.

Lets open the Shawn Stockton can o' worms. I know that our resident experts aren't necessarily falling over themselves on this guy, but I understand he is a pass first point guard, with good athleticism, good size and not to mention his pedigree. :)

Perhaps a little more discussion needs to be centered around the young Stockton and his potential as a D1 PG.

sonuvazag
05-09-2007, 12:59 PM
I'm for Tinsley--based soley on conversation here. I do understand the point brought up by others about continuing to mine the local talent and the commitment to Gonzaga tradition, but I don't think it's the issue here. For one thing, no one has come out and demonstrated what level of interest S. Stockton has for playing at Gonzaga. For another, no one has shown that there are any other Top 25-50 D-1 programs after him. It would be a little odd if Gonzaga, of all schools, was the only major program that pursued him. Keeping it in the family can also be called nepotism. Does anyone know his level of interest in GU and current status with other programs?

Shawn Stockton did look great in the State 4A final. From what I saw on TV, he has a great point guard mentality. I didn't even know he was a Stockton until it was pointed out late in the second half. He was as influential as Casto on the outcome of the game. Since the level of athleticism on the court looked high, I'm curious how he has performed against AAU competition. Anyone know?

Because of his name, it can't be a secret who he is. If no other schools of Gonzaga's calibur want him, I'd think that GU will go another way. Not that we need a second opinion so much as Gonzaga isn't the only effective talent evaluator on the map... it's pretty much for the same reasons Danny Pariseau was allowed to find his way elsewhere in lieu of DRAV. One kid gets one win on the Gonzaga floor. The other gets all but one.

BC1210is
05-09-2007, 02:02 PM
I saw Tinsley play in the Les Schwab Invitational last December and was very impressed with his passing. Then the next night he went out and scored 30 on Oak Hill-one of the best HS teams in the country. I think his game is similar to Stepp and Bouldin.

former1dog
05-09-2007, 02:08 PM
Just for the sake of clarity, I want to make it clear that no matter what happens w/ Theodore or any other PG for that matter, I still want Tinsley on our team.

So, Theodore and Tinsley or Stockton and Tinsley. You get the idea. Not an either/or type of thing in my mind.

As for Stockton, I'm an open book for the guy. I don't like or dislike. I just wanted to enter him into the conversation (again :) ).

Northspokane
05-09-2007, 02:10 PM
I dont totally trust Jerry Meyer opinion. I mean having Ty Walker at #7 is absurd. I am thinking Larry Drew and Jordan Theodore are going to have better summers.

CDC84
05-09-2007, 02:16 PM
Meyer is basing his rankings on what has happened up to this point. Both Theodore and Drew have many opportunities ahead of them to earn back their old rankings before Rivals refreshes their 2008 rankings after summer AAU ball.

lothar98zag
05-09-2007, 02:16 PM
I'm also on the Tinsley bandwagon. He is a combo guard, though, more than a pure PG. At least that's what I have heard. I want him on the team.

But, this brings me to my point.

Lets open the Shawn Stockton can o' worms. I know that our resident experts aren't necessarily falling over themselves on this guy, but I understand he is a pass first point guard, with good athleticism, good size and not to mention his pedigree. :)

Perhaps a little more discussion needs to be centered around the young Stockton and his potential as a D1 PG.
Plenty of comments/opinions on Stockton in this thread:

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?t=2883

(still on the front page)

4EVERaZAG
05-09-2007, 03:36 PM
Right now I am becoming more in favor of just getting one guard for the 2008 class. To the best of my knowledge our scholarship situation is a follows:
1-Pargo
2-LG
3-Heytvelt
4-Davis
5-Foster
6-Downs
7-Bouldin
8-Brown
9-Daye
10-Gray
11-Sacre
Graduating: Pendo, Kuso
NBA: anybodys guess with good years Heytvelt, Downs, and or Pargo could declare not saying they should but they could
Incoming: 12-Poling

I say we go out and get a point guard or combo guard. Either Theodore, Tinsley, or Clarke that would put us a 13 schollies. As Reborn has said a while ago, and now with the likelihood of Poling redshirting, I think we need to get another post player in the 2008 class and worry about the scholarship situation latter kinda of like what we did with the 2007 class. With the possibility of Heytvelt declaring our frontline could be very thin and inexperienced with Davis, Sacre and Foster (assuming the fact Foster pans out). I also say one guard in 2008 because I would like to keep our options open in 2009, I really like the possibility of getting Avery Bradley and Abdul Gaddy from Belleramine Prep. What do you guys think?

BobZag
05-09-2007, 04:18 PM
Rotnei Clarke for 2008. He's my Priority 1.

jigga5
05-09-2007, 04:45 PM
Rotnei Clarke for 2008. He's my Priority 1.

do you think hes to one dimensional to play point? I think he plays the two with team texas

zagfever86
05-09-2007, 05:21 PM
I saw Tinsley play in the Les Schwab Invitational last December and was very impressed with his passing. Then the next night he went out and scored 30 on Oak Hill-one of the best HS teams in the country. I think his game is similar to Stepp and Bouldin.

I've seen Tinsley play a dozen or so times since his Sophomore year and I feel he will be better than those two players you mentioned. No exaggeration at all, the kid was overshadowed by Singler and Love, but next year he'll get the recognition he deserves.

BobZag
05-09-2007, 05:29 PM
do you think hes to one dimensional to play point? I think he plays the two with team texas

He plays more and more point for Team Texas, and is multi-dimensional from what I've read... (See my earlier posts on him) Anyone who comes off sounding like Dan Dickau is good enough for me. :)

spudzag
05-09-2007, 06:28 PM
Do you really thing we are in the hunt for Clarke with all the attention he's getting not to mention his dad going to work of OSU?

Zag79
05-10-2007, 12:50 AM
Danny Pariseau was allowed to find his way elsewhere in lieu of DRAV. One kid gets one win on the Gonzaga floor. The other gets all but one.

well done sonuva. that deserves a free pitcher for sure. :D as far as pgs im thumbs down on stockton even being wcc talent, at this point. Tinsley has game and IMO would fit into the GU system quite well. and if clarke plays like danny sign him up! ;)

BobZag
05-10-2007, 02:21 PM
Do you really thing we are in the hunt for Clarke with all the attention he's getting not to mention his dad going to work of OSU?

Yes, I do. But we need an official visit from him when school starts again to give him our best shot.

lothar98zag
05-10-2007, 02:48 PM
FWIW, it's ORU (Oral Roberts), not OSU.