PDA

View Full Version : What an Offseason, and it's only June!

BobZag
06-09-2010, 04:56 PM
Leon Rice takes Boise State job.

Few hires Donny Daniels away from UCLA.

Kyle Dranginis commits.

Marquise Carter commits.

Gary Bell, Jr. commits.

Keegan Hyland commits.

Mathis Keita commits.

Mathis Monninghoff on the brink.

Vilarino and Gibbs depart.

Kyle Wiltjer and Kevin Pangos looking promising for the Zags.

Darien Nelson-Henry possibly being a Zag after Zags camp.

A seismic shift of epic proportions in conferences possibly affecting GU.

What else am I missing besides non-GU items like Wooden's passing, etc?

Pleasant Peninsula
06-09-2010, 05:06 PM
You are missing the biggest one of all (at least as far as 10-11 is concerned:

Elias Harris returns to school.

kitzbuel
06-09-2010, 05:26 PM

And you were just gonna try and slide that in there along with everything else?

Details, pray tell?

CanadianZagFan
06-09-2010, 06:02 PM
It has been a great spring off-season....but how long is the summer going to be if we are getting this all out of the way so early?

Kiddwell
06-09-2010, 06:22 PM

When, again, is the Zags camp? <BZ, you are so crafty!>

:]

snebzag
06-09-2010, 07:08 PM
-You forgot that Matty, Will and Ronny graduated. We take it for granted that our players are students, but we should not.

-Adam may get another ring.

-My wife is STILL not working.

ZagNative
06-09-2010, 07:44 PM
Rob Sacre gets an interesting opportunity for some summer travel ...

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Zags/Sacre/2010-06-08RobertSacreatCanadianSrMe.jpg

And remains H.O.T. as ever.

Martin Centre Mad Man
06-10-2010, 05:39 AM
What else am I missing besides non-GU items like Wooden's passing, etc?

Didn't we schedule a game or two against some good teams?

Reborn
06-10-2010, 07:56 AM
Spring on the GUBoards is always entertaining. My favorite stories this year have first been the signing of Gary Bell. Gary is from our beautiful state and we have followed him here on the board for a couple years now. He's been my favorite signee since Gray's (yes I love the kids from Washington). It's been awesome for me to watch Steven develop and I look forward to the same with Bell.

The signing of Dranginis has also been really good news. Idaho is our neighbor and the last player to play at GU from Idaho was pretty good.

I thought the news that we're going to be playing Baylor next year is fantastic. That should be a great game.

I'd say the news that GJ and Grant Gibbs were leaving GU was huge news and kind of sent a shock wave through ZagNation. Their departure certainly opened the doors for a couple new Zag recruits. The coaching staff surprises most of us by recruiting all guards in the 2010 class. What originally was going to be a kind of boring Spring (I think we had to openings with the departure of Will and Matt, has turned out to one filled with surprises.

Carter was the first to become a Zag. It's been a long time now since he has signed, but I am really satisfied with his skills. I think he's going to be quite exciting to watch next year. Like Elias, I'm glad that he's older. Because we have so many young players on the team, I believe Gonzaga needs a little more maturity. Carter should bring that to the team. I think Carter will play. Few has always used two point guards, One in a back up role.

Hyland was the next Zag who has committed. We knew that Few was going after someone who could shoot from behind the arc. Hyland was that kid. There seems to be a lot of excitement about Hylanad (including me). I think we're hoping he has the kind of outside shot that was once a trademark of the Zags. Hylnad, to me, seems to have the characteristics that some of the great Zags of old had.

Keita is discribed as tough. The Zags will certainly need that. I think his strength will be on defense, and that was probably why Grant Gibbs didn't make it at GU. Kong was suspect on defense, Gibbs too. We badly need someone who will come off the bench with good passing skills and defense. I think we will plenty of shooters on this team. We will need a really tough team oriented person. I hope that is Keita.

Monninghoff hasn't committed yet. If he does I think the Zags are going to be getting a great basketball player. I think he could become a Matt Bouldin type of player. A 6'6" wing player who has a ballanced offensive game, who can both pass and shoot, who's a team player who can also score. I really like the descriptions I've read of his game. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

What can we look forward to this summer? We'll continue to watch and see what happens with Monninghoff. We'll get news about a couple of the new guys coming to GU for the summer and how they're doing. We'll be able to see how our Sophomores playing for other countries this summer do. That is always fun.

Here are a few of my questions I hope get answered this summer:

1. Is Manny Arop fully recovered from his injury?
2. Is Bol Kong learning to play at the Div 1 level. Is anyone seeing improvement in his game. Is he learning the Zag system on offense?
3. Is Kelly Olynyk getting bigger, more muscular? If Kelly can get stronger I think he will become a much improved player on the boards and on D. I also hope he's in the gym shooting those 3's. His shooting % from outside really needs improvement for next year.
4. I wonder what Steven Gray is doing this summer? Will he be on campus helping the younger guys and working on his game this summer the way Matt did last year?