PDA

View Full Version : OT: Nebraska to the Big Ten

Section 116
06-09-2010, 03:28 PM
According to this report from ESPN the conference realignment has begun. It will be very interesting to see how this all shakes out in the coming weeks:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5268408

Apologies to the moderators, it appears I should have posted this in the Seismic changes......thread

Kiddwell
06-09-2010, 04:03 PM
*Texas
*A&M
*Tech
*Oklahoma
*Okie State
*Colorado

According to the ESPN news bite. How interesting is this? Wow, lots of excitement this b-ball off-season! All of which might trickle down to affect our beloved Zags.

:]

BobZag
06-09-2010, 04:46 PM
*Texas
*A&M
*Tech
*Oklahoma
*Okie State
*Colorado

According to the ESPN news bite. How interesting is this? Wow, lots of excitement this b-ball off-season! All of which might trickle down to affect our beloved Zags.

Yep!

kitzbuel
06-09-2010, 05:05 PM
Big 12 isn't dead yet, Mizzou may well not be moving.

Besides Nebraska, no other candidates are imminent for the Big Ten, which could stay put with 12 members, the source said. http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5268408

MDABE80
06-09-2010, 06:17 PM
This is an opportunity for GU...mark my words " the best thing always happens"..

Section 116
06-09-2010, 06:57 PM
News happening fast, Colorado already has an invite to PAC-10 because of its presence in the Denver TV market and invitations to Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma St, Texas A&M and Texas Tech are soon to follow:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5270048

surfmonkey89
06-09-2010, 07:05 PM
I thought the Pac-10 was picky about its makeup and wanted only research institutions...

News happening fast, Colorado already has an invite to PAC-10 because of its presence in the Denver TV market and invitations to Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma St, Texas A&M and Texas Tech are soon to follow:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5270048

Coug Tracks
06-09-2010, 08:26 PM
I thought the Pac-10 was picky about its makeup and wanted only research institutions...So did many of us! However, there were just as many who couldn't believe how bad of a TV deal the Pac 10 has in comparison to many other conferences. I lived in Columbus for a couple years and every Big 10 game was on TV.

This deal is about money and staying relevant as a conference. With that comes some necessary compromise to get the deal done. To get UT you basically take the entire state of Texas potentially at the expense of a Colorado who is a good institutional fit.

Where will Notre Dame end up?

zags422
06-09-2010, 10:14 PM
Here is my theory for how the Big 10 wants this to play out

Order of teams preferred
1) Notre Dame
2) Texas
3) Nebraska
4) Rutgers
5) Syracuse or Missouri or a Texas friend

The Big10 is in stallation currently waiting for a move to make their next strike

1) Texas will avoid the Pac-10 at all costs...only reason being a 2hr time zone shift and travel distance. This is still a pretty credible possiblity though

2) If other conferences begin the notion of realignment, this will cause Notre Dame to begin to seek conference home to avoid being left out of a 16 team superconference.

3) If the SEC will invite OU or OkSt. to their conference, this will leave Texas in a good position still. The Big 10 would want them, the SEC would want them, and the Pac-10 would want them.

4) If Texas joins the Big 10, conference TV revenue would pay out close to 40 million dollars to the 14-16 schools. That is an enticing figure. Also it would be the most historic and prestigous conference ever in the history of the world with all six of the most winningest programs of all time in the same conference...Michigan, Ohio St., Notre Dame, Nebraska, Texas and Penn St.

5) Jim Delany, Big 10 commish is a shark and a genious and I would be surprised if he does not go for every big dog available in limbo..i.e. Texas and Notre Dame

Birddog
06-10-2010, 05:26 AM
Much gossip, speculation etc bouncing around on this and other boards. Here are some facts and probabilities.
1) Nebraska is heading for the Big 10 (Fact)
2) Colo has been invited to join Pac 10 (high probability). Colo is 1st invite to pre empt Texas lawmakers from pulling a stunt like they did last time to get Baylor in the Big 12
3) Texas, A&M, OU, Ok St, Texas Tech will be invited soon to join Pac 10 (high probabllity) probably within 10 days.
4) It takes a vote of 9 members to dissolve the Big 12 conference (fact)
5) Members leaving the Big 12 must pony up 10 million apiece to leave (fact)
6) Mizzou, despite rumors for years has not been invited to join Big 10,(fact) and may not be invited despite their open swooning for the Big 10 (50/50 chance of invite)
7) Mizzou, Kansas, K St. Iowa St, Baylor are left with the remnants of the Big 12 and 70 million dollars in reparations, TV contract up in less than 2 years and a another in about 4. (high probability)
8) Big 10 next main targets are Notre Dame and Rutgers. (High probability)
9) ND stays put (50/50)
10) If ND stays, door opens for Mizzou (50/50)
11) Big 12 leftovers, Kansas, K St, Iowa St, Mizzou cast their fortune with the next biggest players out there, quite possibly the MWC or Conf USA, or best of both. (50/50)
12) Talk of Gonzaga, Creighton, Wichita St, etc (non footieball players) leaving their respective conferences at this point is highly speculative and reflects on the amount and quality of the crack the talkers are smokin'. (fact)

omahazag
06-10-2010, 05:32 AM
As Bird pointed out, Nebraska is all but gone with official word to come this Friday when the board of regents are scheduled to meet in stinkin' Lincoln. In addition to academic reasons, this is a great move for Nebraska and its fans since the big 12 north is just garbage in the one sport that matters in this state - big red football.

I'm curious how this all unfolds, especially whether the Big 10 elects to take more schools than just Nebraska. As for the Pac -10, i don't like 16 team conference, but if they do raid the schools mentioned in the big 12 south, there is no better conference in the nation.

As for Gonzaga going anywhere, smokin' some good stuff if you believe that.

BroncoZAG615
06-10-2010, 07:38 AM
Buffs are gone. Presser to announce today. :cheers:

Now the fun begins...

Make it happen Zags!

CDC84
06-10-2010, 08:46 AM
As for Gonzaga going anywhere, smokin' some good stuff if you believe that.

BD makes an important qualification though:

Talk of Gonzaga, Creighton, Wichita St, etc (non footieball players) leaving their respective conferences at this point is highly speculative and reflects on the amount and quality of the crack the talkers are smokin'.

"At this point" it's highly speculative. The thought experiments are fun though and occupy board space in what is ordinarily a dead period.

But if the landscape radically changes, some of the ideas that people are tossing around might become more real than some people think. But there's a long ways to go before that.

Birddog
06-10-2010, 09:20 AM
The thought experiments are fun though and occupy board space in what is ordinarily a dead period.
Loads more fun than the endless cycle of recruiting babble JMO.

Kiddwell
06-10-2010, 11:31 AM
Loads more fun than the endless cycle of recruiting babble JMO.

Yes, loads and a half. Adding to which, Kiddwell will chant, "Supersize the WCC! Supersize the WCC!" :p

Birddog
06-11-2010, 04:05 AM
I found this clip of a young Tom Osborne. In light of it, Nebraska's move should come as no surprise. I think the 2nd guy is the Mizzou AD.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-8_zu_LAAg

zags422
06-11-2010, 10:17 AM
lol, that's hilarious.

After all the horrible experiences I've at Missouri for away games, I only feel sorry for my friends attending the university. Everyone else can go suck it like they've told me oh so many times walking down the street minding my business on the way to the game