• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ZagNative
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Gonzaga Camp - Who is Coming?

The BRO board (UCLA) had a post that interested me, with one poster's listing of camps at schools of interest. It was interesting to see which dates coincide with the Zags' camp dates or present scheduling conflicts for prospects the Zags are interested in.

Any clues yet which schools of targeted prospects we might see at the team camp and/or whether the Zags will be hosting an elite camp? If so, clues about prospects invited and/or likely to attend?

Here's the list from the BRO poster:
    The elite camp concept of having high-caliber high school basketball prospects play at an on-campus college summer camp conducted by that college program's coaching staff is generally credited to Florida head coach Billy Donovan as the originator. A variation of this concept is the team camp, where high school squads similarly compete and then receive instruction from a college staff on the latter's campus.

Recently, some NCAA rules changes have impacted these camps starting this summer. One is that college coaches may now recruit at these camps when they were previously prohibited from doing so. Another is that the college programs may not pay outside high school and AAU coaches to assist with running the camps based on having a connection to prospects the college may want to recruit.

Listed below is information as to elite camp and team camp plans at programs of interest to BROs:

Kansas: June 4 and 5 (individual elite camp)
    Arizona: June 12 and 13 (individual elite camp)
    Arizona State: June 11, 12, and 13 (team camp); June 18, 19, and 20 (team camp)
    Cal: June 18 and 19 (individual elite camp)
    Ohio State: June 18 and 19 (team camp)
    Stanford: June 18, 19, 20, and 21 (individual elite camp); June 27 and 28 (team camp)
    UNLV: June 19 and 20 (individual elite camp)
    USC: June 19 and 20 (team camp)
    Washington: June 18, 19, and 20 (team camp)
    Washington State: June 19 and 20 (individual elite camp); June 29 through July 2 (team camp)
    North Carolina: June 23, 24, and 25 (team camp)
    Oregon: June 25, 26, and 27 (team camp)
    Oregon State: June 25, 26, and 27 (team camp)
    UCLA: June 26 and 27 (individual elite camp)
    Gonzaga: June 27 through June 30 (team camp)
    Florida: early August (individual elite camp)

Duke: no Elite Camp, just regular summer basketball camps open to all kids
    Kentucky: no Elite Camp, just regular summer basketball camps open to all kids
    Louisville: no Elite Camp or summer basketball camps of any kind in summer of 2010
    Syracuse: no Elite Camp, just regular summer basketball camps open to all kids
    Texas: no Elite Camp, just regular summer basketball camps open to all kids
    The Gonzaga camp page doesn't mention an elite camp, but I assume that one is planned, perhaps in conjunction with or after the team camp ...
    • Jan 2007

I know Lake Washington HS will be at Team Camp #1, which begins June 20th. Darien Nelson-Henry will be there.

Kentridge will be at Team Camp #2 starting June 27th, along with Skyview HS. Gary Bell, Jr, and Kyle Dranginis.

I was hoping Franklin HS and Anrio Adams would attend but Franklin has been to camp the last two years and is taking this year off.

The Elite Camp is around June 27-28-29-30 July 1-2... I don't know the exact days. Gary Bell, Jr. and Kyle Wiltjer will not be in attendance, they'll be at a big Nike Event. Dranginis will be here for it, as will Nelson-Henry. There will be many others but as of right now I don't know who.
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Comment

• ZagNative
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

Thank you, Bob!

Edited to add: I just realized that Kyle Wiltjer will likely be with the Canada U18 team at the FIBA Americas tournament in San Antonio, which runs June 26 - 30 in San Antonio. Leading up to that, he might be expected to be playing in Canada U18 exhibition games in San Antonio June 23-24. (I would not enjoy trying to keep Kyle's schedule straight this summer!)

Gary Bell is down for the Deron Williams Skills Academy in Chicago June 23-26.

Comment

• Bogozags
        Zag for Life
        • Jan 2008

Originally posted by ZagNative View Post
        Thank you, Bob!

Edited to add: I just realized that Kyle Wiltjer will likely be with the Canada U18 team at the FIBA Americas tournament in San Antonio, which runs June 26 - 30 in San Antonio. Leading up to that, he might be expected to be playing in Canada U18 exhibition games in San Antonio June 23-24. (I would not enjoy trying to keep Kyle's schedule straight this summer!)

Gary Bell is down for the Deron Williams Skills Academy in Chicago June 23-26.
        Since I live in SA, I would like to attend some of the games of the FIBA Tourney...any idea of the venue? Alamodome? ATT Center?

Comment

• ZagNative
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

Tournament site is here

See Tomorrow’s Basketball Stars Today

San Antonio, Texas • June 26-June 30, 2010
          Bill Greehey Arena, St. Mary’s University

The FIBA Americas U18 Championship for Men features teams from North America, Central America, Caribbean and South America. Eight teams participate in preliminary round pool play that determines the ranking for the championship bracket. The 2010 competitors include Argentina, Brazil, Canada, Mexico, Puerto Rico, Uruguay, United States, and the U.S. Virgin Islands.
          I don't know about the exhibition games preceding the tournament. No idea yet about the names of the opponents and locations for the exhibitions.

Comment

• BobZag
            Dark Lord of the Zag
            • Jan 2007

Originally posted by ZagNative View Post
            Tournament site is here

I don't know about the exhibition games preceding the tournament. No idea yet about the names of the opponents and locations for the exhibitions.
            I would guess the same arena.
            The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Comment

• thespywhozaggedme
              Banned
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Bogozags View Post
              Since I live in SA, I would like to attend some of the games of the FIBA Tourney...any idea of the venue? Alamodome? ATT Center?
              Lucky. We expect a full report. Wear Zags gear and some Canadian flag gear and keep yelling out Wiltjer and Pangos names and when they look over point to your Zags gear, give a smile and thumbs up.

Comment

• ZagNative
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Looks like a cozy arena and a chance to see players up close and personal.
                Bill Greehey Arena

Along with the 3,800-seat capacity (no bleacher seats), is a hospitality suite overlooking the arena. The Bill Greehey Arena is the first NCAA, Division II facility in the country to have video board capability. Two single-faced video boards will be installed on opposite corners to maximize viewability from anywhere in the arena. The 8'2" x 10'8", 15.8 MM LED boards provide a more dramatic and unique touch to all events. The LED boards connect to a four sided 6'xlO' scoreboard to create a more engaging and exciting facility.

The multi-purpose health and fitness center is the result of generous and enthusiastic support from community donors and culminates a three-year fund-raising effort involving more than 3,000 donors. Its name is in recognition of the largest capital gift of $3.1 million made by the St. Mary's Alumni Association, as well as the dedicated leadership, commitment and personal contributions of capital campaign chairman Bill Greehey, honored in naming the arena. Greehey, a distinguished alumnus of St. Mary's (B.B.A. '60), is chairman and CEO of San Antonio-based Valero Energy Corp., a Fortune 500 company and world leader in petroleum refining.
                God bless rich alums of small Catholic universities!

Comment

• zagzealot
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

Team Camp started yesterday, Sunday, and all games are open to the public as far as I can tell. Games take place at The Warehouse, Martin Center, the Fieldhouse, McCarthey Athletic Center, GPrep and Rogers HS. There are 142 schools in attendance.

There's a schedule of all games and results (Varsity, JV and Fr) posted at Martin center just outside the court near the consession window and I would assume the same schedules would be posted at the other sites but I can't say that for sure. Games run all day and night as late as 10 p.m.

For anyone that needs a bball fix this is a good time to get it!
                  Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza. -- Dave Barry
                  f∞

Comment

Working...
                  X