• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BobZag
    Dark Lord of the Zag
    • Jan 2007

Seismic Changes A-Comin' for Conferences

So after reading several articles on possible (but iminent) changes in the bigger conferences and trickle-down effects, here's my "What if."

--------------------------

If the Pac-10 does indeed absorb six of the schools in the Big-12, and if the Big-Ten swallows up two Big-12 schools, and if the SEC nabs an ACC school or two, and the ACC and Big East duke it out for what's left...

There's a chance the MWC could jump up into BCS status if Baylor, Iowa State, K-State, etc. join. Add BSU and the MWC could gain acceptance into the BCS world (automatic bid in a BCS Bowl Game). As far as hoops go, the MWC schools could climb into "high-major" status, which is mere perspective but nevertheless...

Suddenly you're looking at superpower conferences with as many as sixteen schools.

The question concerning fans on this board is: What happens to smaller schools in smaller conferences? Is there anything Gonzaga can do to assure itself it's not left on the outside looking in if these new superpower conferences pull a power play and try to exclude the non-BCS schools?

Stand pat? Make a preemptive move? What?

Thoughts?
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."
  • MickMick
    Zag for Life
    • Apr 2007

This is a slow crippling disease for Gonzaga.

Once the super conferences are in place, the next step for them is to break away from the NCAA, start their own organization to negotiate TV contracts, format their own exclusive post season play, and split the profits amongst themselves.

There will be no incentive to schedule Gonzaga.

Schools with football have the best chance to be included in the new aritocracy. BSU has a much, much better chance of joining the ranks than Gonzaga (and they likely will).

Gonzaga might as well go to Division II if that happens.
    I miss Mike Hart

Comment

• d2zag
      Kennel Club Material
      • Oct 2009

Basically, this whole thing revolves around the University of Texas. If Texas leaves the Big 12, that conference is done. Texas is the Big 12. So if they leave to either the Big 10 or Pac 10, the conference that doesn't get them will feel the pressure to expand their own conference. Then the rest of the conferences feel the need to expand.

However, I think people are getting a little bit too worried. In the end, I think everything will be okay. I think the NCAA will still be around. I just can't see a world where they aren't, no matter how much people dislike them. Gonzaga will be fine. For now, we just need to wait and see what goes on, then we can decide what move we have to make, if we even need to make one.

Main message: Calm down, people. Everything will be okay.
      In Few We Trust.

Comment

• 810Suited
        Kennel Club Material
        • Apr 2008

Gonzaga cant really do anything, because its all about money (read football). All of this realignment is 100% about football and no other sports. MWC should try to snap of KU, KState, and Boise imo. However I dont think the Pac 10 will get all the teams that are being proposed so maybe they go after some others from Big 12 or MWC. I think Texas really would like to move to the Big 10, but does not want to leave the other Texas schools behind, and Big 10 only wants Texas. Things will definitely be changed forever, quite exciting imho.

Comment

• CDC84
          Super Moderator
          • Feb 2007

There's a chance the MWC could jump up into BCS status if Baylor, Iowa State, K-State, etc.
          Another name in that group is Kansas. They are not being discussed as one of the teams that will be a part of these new mega conferences. As Katz talked about yesterday, that's a really interesting thing because while KU doesn't have much in the way of football, they are an absolute powerhouse in basketball...a total blueblood.

Comment

• kitzbuel
            • Feb 2007

It might be worth revisiting the thread started by our visitor, Hoya Saxa:

'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
            - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Comment

• Kiddwell
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

Kiddwell finds it a tad hard to believe that a hundred or so mid-majors and their millions of fans/alumni would be sacrificed from the Big Dance for a b-ball national championship exclusive to some theorized "super conferences."

Plus, CBS's renewal for broadcasting the Big Dance provides a certain amount of protection to the littler guys. Is CBS going to OK the elimination of the little guys from a national title (and thereby alienate a huge percentage of their viewers)? Don't think so.

Another factor: Recently bumping the number of tournament bids from 64 to 68 (plus some pressure to increase the field even more) further suggests that both college and TV interests have no incentive to nudge out the little guys.

Super conferences may be on the way, but that doesn't mean mid-majors will accordingly be slam-ducked from the national b-ball scene.

Kiddwell's two cents.

:]
              Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

Comment

• jpwils
                Professional Zag Fan
                • Feb 2007

Theme

Cinderella and The Slipper still intrigues lots of people when they play their brackets- picking "upsets" is what fires many fans up.

Notre Dame bores me in hoops; So does USC.
                Last edited by jpwils; 06-05-2010, 04:47 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• willandi
                  Zag for Life
                  • Nov 2007

Isn't this why Gonzaga established their School of Law? to deal with this type of inanity?

The best of the best in Law and B'Ball (when you take into account the way the program is run)
                  Not even a smile? What's your problem!

Comment

• Birddog
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

Actually, Texas is not the key to the Big 12s future, Nebraska is. Nebraska was told to shirt or get off the ### by the rest of the members. The Big 12 wants to know Nebraska intentions and pronto. If they are thinking of leaving, then merger with the Pac is a real possibility. The Big 12 could get by without Mizzou.

Kansas is indeed the biggest odd man out if the OK and Texas schools merge. Iowa St, Kansas St, Baylor, would go Conf USA or MWC.

Deloss Dodds, longtime AD for Texas publicly stated that they are solidly with the Big 12 as is or in a merger if Nebraska bolts. to get to 16 members, the Big 11 could include Kansas, Mizzou, Nebraska, ND, Rutgers, Pitt, etc.

I forgot about Colo, they'll go with the Big12 status quo. This is likely to get bloody before it's over.
                    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
                    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
                    All mimsy were the borogoves,
                    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Comment

• Coug Tracks
                      Kennel Club
                      • Dec 2007

It's totally up in the air whether the Pac 10 will be able to bring in the Big 12 programs. A&M is interested in moving to the SEC and does not want to move west.

The MWC won't get a BCS bid even if they were able to grab the 4 leftover Big 12 programs and BSU. There would still not be enough marquee football programs in the conference.

Some of you probably know of Fleenor and he always suggested that the power programs would pull away from the NCAA and form their own league. I don't see with the current model how that would work. The powers still need the "little guys" in both football and basketball. We already have the NFL, NBA, and MLB. Even though there is tons of money in college athletics there still is a distinction between college and professional athletics.

The big money programs like UT, Ohio State, Notre Dame, etc. need the Texas Tech's, Indiana's, and WSUs more than you might believe.

Comment

• titopoet
                        Zag for Life
                        • Apr 2008

No way, and here is why. It is simple four letter answer. ESPN. The biggest sports network will use the smaller schools to pressure the biggest schools down. Already, ESPN makes GU possible, by promoting smaller powers like GU in Basketball and someone out of CUSA in football, they can keep the bigs in check. They already do that in Basketball, and will continue to do so. If GU plays their cards right, they could come out a bigger power than they are. They already have a national fanbase and a push by ESPN (more prime spots on ESPN and not simply on 2 or U) if ESPN uses GU, Butler and Xaiver.
                        ----
                        Why not try Love Poems. They work to prime the pump.

Comment

• thespywhozaggedme
                          Banned
                          • Feb 2007

One major difference between cfb and cbb: we have a playoff. As long as that continues we have nothing to worry about.

Comment

• LongIslandZagFan
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by MickMick View Post
                            This is a slow crippling disease for Gonzaga.

Once the super conferences are in place, the next step for them is to break away from the NCAA, start their own organization to negotiate TV contracts, format their own exclusive post season play, and split the profits amongst themselves.

There will be no incentive to schedule Gonzaga.

Schools with football have the best chance to be included in the new aritocracy. BSU has a much, much better chance of joining the ranks than Gonzaga (and they likely will).

They already have this with contracts like Fox Sports... that really isn't working for the P10... Big 10 network, have you watched anything on that? Announcing is absolutely brutal at best.
                            "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Comment

• webspinnre
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

I'd be shocked if Pac-10 got all of those teams. I still think it's most likely that the Pac-10 only adds Colorado and Utah.
                              I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Comment

Working...
                              X