PDA

View Full Version : Leon Rice pitching the MWC

BobZag
06-04-2010, 04:01 PM
Andy Katz's very interesting piece today...

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/blog/_/name/katz_andy/id/5253164/boise-st-coach-already-selling-mwc

When making his rounds, new Boise State men's basketball coach Leon Rice couldn't resist bringing up the possibility to recruits that they could be playing in the Mountain West in 2012 -- an invitation that could come as soon as Monday during the conference meetings.

The recruiting sales pitch is easy: The MWC had four bids to the NCAA tournament. The WAC had two.

Rice didn't sell the West Coast Conference when he was a top assistant at Gonzaga. He sold the school. Now he's on the verge of being the top salesman for the MWC as its potential newest member.

"Kids are going to look at four teams going into the NCAA tournament,'' Rice said. "The MWC had four bids to the NCAA tournament, more than the Pac-10, and that's the only thing that I've talked to any kid [about the MWC].

"I know I'm ignorant to both leagues. I just know there is a good rep for basketball right now in the MWC and when kids see that they're impressed. But I also appreciate the WAC. I know we're going to play in that next year and that's my focus.''

zagco
06-04-2010, 07:21 PM
Zagco's other alma mater is on its way....