PDA

View Full Version : Most underappreciated programs??

MDABE80
05-08-2007, 12:08 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/chat/sportsnation/listranker?id=702

GonzagaGurl08
05-08-2007, 12:18 PM
Thanks for the link Abe. It's interesting to see some of the teams they have up there.

lothar98zag
05-08-2007, 12:24 PM
Interesting concept. I'm not sure I would have picked all of those teams (probably not GU), but it's interesting nonetheless...

CDC84
05-08-2007, 12:36 PM
For me, Winthrop wins this sucker hands down.

What makes Winthrop so underappreciated is their level of consistent success combined with their conference affiliation. You rarely see any program from a conference like the Big South enjoy their level of consistency. We're talking about a league that is one of the 5 worst RPI leagues in the nation most years. I guess Marshall could sell the fact that Winthrop dominates their league every year and regularly gets into the NCAA's, but it is still a one bid league with a guaranteed double digit seed. I am interested in seeing if Winthrop can continue the success with their new coach.

I still feel Marshall should've waited for a better job than Wichita State, but there are too many idiot AD's that didn't want to hire a young guy or didn't want to hire a coach that wasn't from a top flight "mid major" conference. He would've been a perfect fit at Arkansas. Perhaps Marshall needs to get in a conference like the MVC in order to jump into the BCS ranks one day. It seems rather silly to me. His resume speaks for itself.

xubrew
05-09-2007, 11:32 AM
i agree about winthrop. i really don't get why most of the teams are even on that list. what constitutes being underappreciated?? ohio state got a #2 seed last year in the ncaa tournament, a #1 seed this year, and spent a good portion of the last two seasons in the top ten, yet they're a candidate for being underappreciated. how are pittsburgh, memphis and illinois underappreciated?? i'd say most of the teams on that list other than winthrop get a fair amount of appreciation.

CDC84
05-09-2007, 12:48 PM
Pitt is a choice that I can understand. Year after year they are near the top of the Big East, and yet they get nowhere near the level of prep player that schools like UConn, Syracuse and Louisville attain. The foundation for their success has been built around non-NBA players. They have also been able to continue the success despite a major coaching change.

Utah State would've been a great choice a couple of years ago, but they haven't been as dominate of late. Stew Morrill can flat out coach.

xubrew
05-09-2007, 02:32 PM
i guess i take underappreciated to mean a team that is clearly better than the national attention and/or national ranking that they get. teams like uab, or a few others out of the colonial athletic assoication come to mind, not pitt and ohio state who are highly ranked teams with lots of national recognition. uab had a down year last year, but they'd been to three straight ncaa tournaments prior to that, and made the sweet sixteen and second round in that three year stretch. they also spent time in the rankings each of those three seasons, but no one ever really got all that excited about them. they were down this past year, but look to be good again this upcoming year. that's what i think of when i think underappreciated, but they aren't even on the list. they were the best team in alabama for several years, but got the least amount of attention.

bucknell is another team i'd vote for, but like uab they aren't even on there.