PDA

View Full Version : Kentucky - Portland, GU angle

Angelo Roncalli
05-28-2010, 12:06 PM
UK will play UP in the Rose Garden on 11/19 and UP will make road games to UK the following two seasons.

As mentioned in another thread, GU was one of the teams UK approached about the Terrance Jones showcase game in Portland. Cal was asking for too much and GU declined.

Financially, this should be a good deal for UP. The Rose Garden game should produce good revenue for both teams and then UP gets a couple of guarantee games ($50-$75K) for going to Lexington.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/11879/uk-to-play-in-terrence-jones-hometown

MDABE80
05-28-2010, 01:55 PM
VERY VERY good move for PDX and the WCC. Thanks Angelo....

thebigsmoove
05-28-2010, 02:05 PM
JEEZ! I would have loved that series, I could totally make it to rupp for the return games if GU would have signed that one, and not to mention it would finally give me bragging rights over all these "I Bleed Blue" UK fans, cant stand them, nothing but a bunch of whiners...Mark Few, Please look into a series with Louisville at least...PLEASE!

VaBeachZAG
05-29-2010, 05:34 AM
Question: Is there a program anywhere in this country where GU would accept a neutral site/two opponent home court series package? I think not. Don't know if the Pilots contract was the offer made to the Zags, but if it was, I would consider it a slap in the face. Of course "Cal" did get us to play a neutral vs home series with Memphis. Frankly, in my opinion, if we can't get Memphis in K2, then we should move on.

GoZags
05-29-2010, 06:26 AM
Question: Is there a program anywhere in this country where GU would accept a neutral site/two opponent home court series package? I think not.

You are correct (as I understand it).

Don't know if the Pilots contract was the offer made to the Zags, but if it was, I would consider it a slap in the face.

You can't blame Kentucky for trying to get the best deal for them. They made the offer to Portland State, Gonzaga and Portland. Portland State also agreed -- and between the two, I'm very glad UK chose Portland. That's going to be a great OOC game for our conference ... with two more games to follow at Rupp for the Pilots.

Of course "Cal" did get us to play a neutral vs home series with Memphis. Frankly, in my opinion, if we can't get Memphis in K2, then we should move on.

Agree.

Don't be surprised to see a Gonzaga game some day in the Rose Garden. There've been some decent opportunities with incredibly high profile opponents the past several years that didn't quite work out (yet). The Rose Garden is a great facility, there are a ton of GU alumni in Southwest Washington and the Greater Portland area, and the Zags are 2-0 there.

On another note, this UK/UP series dovetails nicely into Jaime Z's philosophy of building the OOC SOS for our conference. There will be subtle changes in OOC scheduling over the next several years by a handful of WCC schools, and don't be suprised to see another high profile OOC game or two (not involving GU) pop up

Jedster
05-29-2010, 06:37 AM
Question: Is there a program anywhere in this country where GU would accept a neutral site/two opponent home court series package? I think not.

I agree with you, but the main motivation for the offer was because of Terrence Jones. Cal has promised him a showcase game in Portland (which probably helped entice him to sign at Kentucky), so Portland was the site for the game. I doubt Cal was thinking of a series with Gonzaga prior to the signing of Jones, but asked because it would be a great high level game against two quality programs. It's a no-deal that the game was going to be anywhere else but Portland for them because of Jones.

I'd guess GU maybe countered with Portland (neutral), Kentucky, GU, and then East Coast (neutral), but maybe KU didn't want a four year commitment for a series just to make good on a promise to a recruit. Just a guess though on this offer.

nonzagzag
05-29-2010, 08:49 AM
I would've been ok with Rose Garden, Rupp even though it wouldn't be completely equal - just because I think we would have a great chance against Kentucky's latest allstar team early in the year and if we lost, the loss would probably end up being vacated at some point anyways

zagzilla
05-29-2010, 10:56 AM
if we lost, the loss would probably end up being vacated at some point anyways

:roll:

Nice one! These are good RPI games for the WCC which helps us indirectly. UK also looking to extend it tentacles for future recruiting into a strong bb region.

Would rather see us develop some multi-year deals vs UCLA, Stanford, Cal, USC, ASU and UA than bend over for KU. That's where we need to maximize exposure outside the PNW.

Go Zags!

ZZ

MDABE80
05-29-2010, 11:02 AM
It had to be something special about playing in PDX. Obviously GU is thee "standard" in the WCC. GU-UK would meant more to everyone.
It's a very big series...and lengthy. GU should have been the choice. Cal's played GU for years and knows what to expect. There had to be something unique to playing in PDX. Arena...with it's newly proposed seating situation could put in upwards of 13K people for games like this. Further though, a GU-UK series likely would have been a national TV issue.

wooooooooooosh.........it's just flew right by:( Nonetheless, it'll be a series that should elevate the Pilot program. Good on em!

Bogozags
05-29-2010, 11:55 AM
It had to be something special about playing in PDX. Obviously GU is thee "standard" in the WCC. GU-UK would meant more to everyone.
It's a very big series...and lengthy. GU should have been the choice. Cal's played GU for years and knows what to expect. There had to be something unique to playing in PDX. Arena...with it's newly proposed seating situation could put in upwards of 13K people for games like this. Further though, a GU-UK series likely would have been a national TV issue.

wooooooooooosh.........it's just flew right by:( Nonetheless, it'll be a series that should elevate the Pilot program. Good on em!

MDABE could it be Wiltjer? That would be a great reason to go to Portland...let him see KU...Could this be an over riding issue as well?

MickMick
05-29-2010, 04:33 PM
UK should be a BIS event. The ties with Calipari at Memphis probably induced the notion of such talks. Few did ink a rather long term deal with Memphis while he was the coach there.