PDA

View Full Version : Re: Gonzaga-Baylor Series

BobZag
05-28-2010, 09:09 AM
Firstly, let's give Max and Zach props for breaking this news. Well done, guys! I'll add what I am hearing...

The first game will be in Dallas (I assume where the Mavs play) this year, followed by a home game in K2. I know, I know, that sounds odd. Zags play Baylor in a semi-neutral arena, then Baylor plays Gonzaga at home in a hostile Kennel?

But that is what I've heard.

I've also heard this is not yet set in stone and therefore is subject to change or even subject to falling through. As a sidenote, Gonzaga and Kentucky almost agreed to a game in Portland's Rose Garden, but UK's demands were too lopsided and both parties moved on. I think UK got what they wanted with the Pilots.

TexasZagFan
05-28-2010, 09:23 AM
Firstly, let's give Max and Zach props for breaking this news. Well done, guys! I'll add what I am hearing...

The first game will be in Dallas (I assume where the Mavs play) this year, followed by a home game in K2. I know, I know, that sounds odd. Zags play Baylor in a semi-neutral arena, then Baylor plays Gonzaga at home in a hostile Kennel?

I've also heard this is not yet set in stone and therefore is subject to change or even subject to falling through. As a sidenote, Gonzaga and Kentucky almost agreed to a game in Portland's Rose Garden, but UK's demands were too lopsided and both parties moved on. I think UK got what they wanted with the Pilots.

Dallas or Waco...I'll be there!!! AA Center is a great venue. It will be plenty hostile for the Zags. Lots of Baylor alums in the Metroplex, and Waco's about a two hour drive from Dallas.

That'll make two Zag games in my area this year! :D

kitzbuel
05-28-2010, 09:30 AM

Good to see that the Zags get enough pull to even have this proposal discussed. 229 is gonna have to put his soapbox away pretty soon. :p

229SintoZag
05-28-2010, 09:55 AM
Good to see that the Zags get enough pull to even have this proposal discussed. 229 is gonna have to put his soapbox away pretty soon. :p

You will note that my soap box has been pretty seldom used ever since we inked a deal to bring Michigan State and Wake Forest to K2.

I only deploy the soap box now (1) when the topic of games in Spokane Arena comes up, particularly when it involves Gameday; and (2) when we are playing Division III teams like Augustana as a "favor" to our coaching staff's buddies at the expense of the season ticket holders and fans. And even that is not too big of a deal, more of an annoying thing than anything else.

Things have dramatically improved lately. Let's hope that continues. And let's hope the Northern Colorado's and Augustana's are things of the past.

gozagswoohoo
05-28-2010, 10:05 AM
St. Louis to Dallas.....hmmm...that's like....3 states away or something. Ugh

LynetteG
05-28-2010, 10:16 AM
St. Louis to Dallas.....hmmm...that's like....3 states away or something. Ugh

at least it's in the same time zone!

zagsdan86
05-28-2010, 10:20 AM
I'm within walking distance of American Airlines Center. Works for me. :)

Kiddwell
05-28-2010, 11:39 AM
(1) Any idea, anyone, how good Baylor will be when we play 'em?

:]

BroncoZAG615
05-28-2010, 11:46 AM
(1) Any idea, anyone, how good Baylor will be when we play 'em?

:]

They are a top 15-20 team. Lost their starting point guard and big man Epke Udoh. With Udoh back, they could have been a top five team I think.

They've got arguably the best power forward coming in next season in Perry Jones and will be very athletic. LaceDarius Dunn is one of the best players in the Big 12. They will be solid. Scott Drew is building a nice program in Waco.

I'm beyond excited for this series.

dim4sum
05-28-2010, 11:51 AM
From what I remember of Baylor last year, or at least in the games I saw, they play ugly bump and grind hoops like Cincinnati.

CDC84
05-28-2010, 11:51 AM
Scott Drew doesn't get enough credit for the job he's done at Baylor. In addition to having such bad brand name recognition after the Bliss scandal, Baylor is a school with tough academic standards. Drew has had to deal with both of those things in bringing that program to life.

One analyst I respect feels that Perry Jones has way more upside than any player in the 2010 class. He's got the chance to be a very special player if he works at it.

Buckwheat
05-28-2010, 12:02 PM
Rob better come to play against Baylor. Griner is a beast.

Zagatak
05-28-2010, 02:39 PM
PHYSICAL. They play like Cincinnatti except better. Perry Jones should be an absolute beast and a huge addition for the Bears.

Butler Guy
05-30-2010, 03:19 PM
Scott Drew doesn't get enough credit for the job he's done at Baylor. In addition to having such bad brand name recognition after the Bliss scandal, Baylor is a school with tough academic standards. Drew has had to deal with both of those things in bringing that program to life.

There's not so quiet talk that Scott Drew has walked the ethical line (and on occasion crossed it) in rebuilding that program.

Side note: Scott Drew is a Butler grad.

MickMick
05-30-2010, 03:48 PM
St. Marys had their hands full with them. Gonna be a tough one.

MJGoGaels
06-01-2010, 12:55 PM
St. Marys had their hands full with them. Gonna be a tough one.

Mick, you are being kind. They put a can of whoop a$$ on the Gaels. In that game, they shot over 50%. That day, they would have be Duke, imho. SMC, Purdue, and Duke all shot in the 30's % range that day. They were not bothered by the vast expanse behind each back board. They play hard and with a chip on their shoulder, and if I recall correctly boast a top 25 incoming class as well. Their assent from the ashes from 6-7 years ago is amazing. It will be a great game.

ZagNative
06-01-2010, 03:19 PM
At least we know the Dallas end of the deal. Now to find out where the return game will be ... myfoxhouston.com (http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/sports/local/100601-dallas-gets-major-college-hoops-doubleheader):
Dallas Gets Major College Hoops Doubleheader

Updated: Tuesday, 01 Jun 2010, 5:44 PM CDT
Published : Tuesday, 01 Jun 2010, 5:34 PM CDT

Houston - The Aggies, Bears, Razorbacks and Zags will be getting together for a Christmas-time basketball doubleheader in Dallas.

Texas A&M will play Arkansas and Baylor will take on Gonzaga Dec. 18 at American Airlines Arena in Dallas.

"It's a tremendous opportunity for our basketball team to have a chance to play in front of our alumni, fans, friends and supporters in the metroplex area," said Scott Drew, Baylor coach, in an interview with FOX 26 Sports.

229SintoZag
06-01-2010, 03:22 PM
So I assume Tex is going to host those of us who make the trip, and perhaps pick up the tab for some good Texas BBQ and beers?

Tex?

Team Oosik
06-01-2010, 03:32 PM
I will be having a nice trip up "north" to Dallas this Christmas break! I will be the one in the Gonzaga shirt and/or hat.

eliezar
06-01-2010, 04:50 PM
Of course two years after I leave Dallas and come to Seattle they play a game there. I did get to make two trips to Oklahoma City and watch the Zags during our six years in Dallas. I have several friends I got to become Zag fans while we were there and I will put the pressure on them to go and support the Zags. If I wasn't going to be in Florida then I would go and catch the game myself.

810Suited
06-01-2010, 06:00 PM
Rob better come to play against Baylor. Griner is a beast.

needs more love