PDA

View Full Version : Where will the on court leadership come from?

tyra
05-18-2010, 10:11 PM
Two years ago it was unquestionably Jeremy. This last year it was unquestionably Matt. They were in charge and there was no doubt, ever. Who will it be next year? Steven? A lot of people assume it will be him as the senior. But perhaps it just isn't who he is or his style? Is it a given however? Is there anyone else for whom this role might be more natural even as an underclassman? Your thoughts please.

Pleasant Peninsula
05-18-2010, 10:20 PM
1) Elias
2) Steve
3) Bob

d2zag
05-18-2010, 10:37 PM
I think there will be a nice blend of leadership between Rob, Steven, and Elias with Steven being the Alpha dog.

cggonzaga
05-18-2010, 11:14 PM
I'll go with Rob, Manny and Meech/Carter. EH's fire seems to burn within and Steven just isn't the rah rah type.

JeffyJeff
05-18-2010, 11:47 PM
I've got a sneaking suspicion that Sacre is going to be the vocal leader of the team next year on the practice floor and in the locker room. Come game day, that is a great question. Team chemistry will dictate that one, I am willing to wager.

Pleasant Peninsula
05-18-2010, 11:52 PM
EH's fire seems to burn within and Steven just isn't the rah rah type.

I reckon you don't know what the flip you are talking about.

With all due respect, of course.

FrahmfortheWin
05-19-2010, 10:12 AM

Actually I completely agree with cggonzaga.

When I saw your original post Pleasant Penninsula, I personally thought EH as the #1 choice for team leader was way off base. We all know Elias is a great player and a good teammate but hes hardly the most vocal on the court (look at any game tape from last season, Elias has intensity but it seldom translates into outspoken support or words to his teammates). I dont think 1 year with the team is going to change this. Especially when you have players like Meech and Sacre who have that natural personality already built in.

To go slightly off topic here.....throwing 'with all due respect, of course' as a disclaimer doesnt make your comment any less rude. The beauty of the board is (should be?) that we can all exchange our opinions and debate them regardless of who is 'right or wrong', ideally without degrading each other. Your post would have had more value to me personally if you had made an argument for WHY Harris or Gray will be the team leader instead of just insulting another poster.

Thats just my opinion, with all due respect of course.

cjm720
05-19-2010, 10:20 AM
Sacre (vocal and passsionate leader) and Gray (passionate and by example)

Go Zags!!!

gozagswoohoo
05-19-2010, 10:47 AM
34% Harris

29% Sacre

23% Gray

11% Meech

BobZag
05-19-2010, 10:59 AM
Based on what I saw last season, Sacre.

RockandRollJames
05-19-2010, 11:12 AM
Based on what I saw last season, Sacre.

Definitely Sacre. No doubt.

ZagKing09
05-19-2010, 11:22 AM
I agree Sacre will be the vocal leader, but I think that Gray will be a quiter lead by example type of guy that the rest of the team respects...

ZagNative
05-19-2010, 11:32 AM
I'm not sure what we're talking about here ... There are different types of leadership. For example, I would expect Rob to be the emotional leader, the guy who gets the other players and the fans psyched. I can't visualize Elias in that role.

But aside from emotional leadership, which player will Coach Few call in plays to? Who will look toward the bench for that play? Who will be the coach on the floor to set up the plays? I'd expect it to be a guard - either either Steven or Meech.

Steven clearly knows most about "The Gonzaga Way," the guy who can be expected, IMO, to pass on the Gonzaga culture on the floor. But It's the point guard, I think, who is sets up the plays, and I think that at least initially, Meech will fill that role.

Pleasant Peninsula
05-19-2010, 12:21 PM
To go slightly off topic here.....throwing 'with all due respect, of course' as a disclaimer doesnt make your comment any less rude. The beauty of the board is (should be?) that we can all exchange our opinions and debate them regardless of who is 'right or wrong', ideally without degrading each other. Your post would have had more value to me personally if you had made an argument for WHY Harris or Gray will be the team leader instead of just insulting another poster.

Fair points, all.

cggonzaga
05-19-2010, 12:37 PM

Would you care to explain? I assume you have some inside knowledge.

GU69
05-19-2010, 12:50 PM
34% Harris

29% Sacre

23% Gray

11% Meech

= 97% + 3% woohoo

sonuvazag
05-19-2010, 12:55 PM
Steven, unless he chooses to defer, is the alpha dog... rah-rah or not.

Pleasant Peninsula
05-19-2010, 12:59 PM
Would you care to explain? I assume you have some inside knowledge.

No, not really. I do think that "leadership" is something that runs deeper than what we can see on our television screens or gleam from our limited understanding of the players' personalities. It seems to me that in most instances (though there are exceptions) the leaders of the team are the team's best players.

Regardless, my post was inappropriate and I apologize; not to make excuses, but it was late in the evening and I may or may not have imbibed a couple agave-based spirits before logging on. If we still had neg rep my boxes would deservedly be red.

cggonzaga
05-19-2010, 01:56 PM
No, not really. I do think that "leadership" is something that runs deeper than what we can see on our television screens or gleam from our limited understanding of the players' personalities. It seems to me that in most instances (though there are exceptions) the leaders of the team are the team's best players.

I couldn't agree more. There really is no way of knowing without being with the guys to know who the true leaders are. My comments only came from what I saw on the court last season and comments from coaches and players through the media.

FrahmfortheWin
05-19-2010, 02:07 PM
It seems to me that in most instances (though there are exceptions) the leaders of the team are the team's best players.

I would agree with this as fairly accurate, thinking back on the sports I have played, I cant think of a situation where our team leader wasnt one of our top guys in terms of production. The fact of the matter is if you get results, people are more apt to listen to what you have to say. That goes for any industry, not just sports.

Look at Andrew Sorenson, absolutely the definition of rah rah guy, always the first to pick a teammate up or offer some encouragement, yet nobody ever looked at him as a team leader. I think this is because he wasnt a producer on the court. I look at Meech as another similar situation. Demetri is vocal, has the leadership qualities from what Ive seen but there is a certain point where his lack of productivity (this is assuming his struggles carry over to the 2011 season) somewhat undermines his ability to fully assume the leadership mantel.

Sacre is my pick for next years 'team leader' because I think he will strike the balance of productivity and at the same time be very vocal. Steven Gray is the stud that the younger players will look to emulate but may not be the first guy you would go to for that 'win one for the gipper' speech.

Go Zags!

dim4sum
05-19-2010, 02:37 PM
Last year I saw a high talent level from Elias but necessarily leadership. He boarded and scored but seemed to be operating autonomously. He had precious few assists, for example. If leadership is being the go-to guy he qualifies, but he doesn't bring the kind of calming, unifying presence that Matt exemplified. Matt may not have handled that role as well as he could have because when he stumbled the rest of the team stumbled very quickly like dominos.
Meech doesn't have the skill set to provide leadership. Steven does but probably doesn't want to. That leaves Sacre who would score leadership points by involving his teammates better. Perfect a wonderful outlet pass.
Pass out to an open team mate, rather than force shots . Take it harder to the hoop for thunder dunks. Nothing like a thunder dunk to briing out the adrenalin in a team mate. And also do it vocally, give praise to a teammate when do and a console and encourage when the teammate is momentarily down after a bad call.
Rob can be the leader, maybe, but I think it's going to be leadership by committee, with one will leader, Rob, and two reluctant ones in Steven and Elias.

tinfoilzag
05-19-2010, 03:03 PM
It's Gray's turn to be the heavy this year.

He's comfortable in his skin and his skills and should be a good leader. It will probably be his own goofy style of leadership but good none the less.

There is a good mix of maturity without huge egos so it should be an easier job than the ones that Matt and JP had.

BroncoZAG615
05-19-2010, 03:15 PM
I'll go with Elias, Rob, and Steven.

Don't discount Elias. He has that Jeremy Pargo "get on my f'ing back" quality about him. I saw it against Illinois and glimpses of it all year long.

Rob seems like the gregarious one so some will come from him and Steven by example.

cjm720
05-19-2010, 03:54 PM
Last year I saw a high talent level from Elias but necessarily leadership. He boarded and scored but seemed to be operating autonomously. He had precious few assists, for example. If leadership is being the go-to guy he qualifies, but he doesn't bring the kind of calming, unifying presence that Matt exemplified. Matt may not have handled that role as well as he could have because when he stumbled the rest of the team stumbled very quickly like dominos.
Meech doesn't have the skill set to provide leadership. Steven does but probably doesn't want to. That leaves Sacre who would score leadership points by involving his teammates better. Perfect a wonderful outlet pass.
Pass out to an open team mate, rather than force shots . Take it harder to the hoop for thunder dunks. Nothing like a thunder dunk to briing out the adrenalin in a team mate. And also do it vocally, give praise to a teammate when do and a console and encourage when the teammate is momentarily down after a bad call.
Rob can be the leader, maybe, but I think it's going to be leadership by committee, with one will leader, Rob, and two reluctant ones in Steven and Elias.

Don't understand this post. What does a thunder dunk or perfect outlet pass or skill set necessarily have to do with leadership? If you're talking floor credibility that's one thing, but you can certainly be a leader and have some, none, or all of the qualities you list.

Drew
05-19-2010, 04:07 PM
OT, but Sacre will give the best interviews.

Drew
05-19-2010, 04:09 PM
= 97% + 3% woohoo

I'd give Arop at least this missing 3%, increasing dramatically by his junior year.

maynard g krebs
05-19-2010, 04:10 PM
Gray. Leadership by example, ie, shutting down the other team's top wing threat.

kitzbuel
05-19-2010, 05:34 PM
Don't understand this post. What does a thunder dunk or perfect outlet pass or skill set necessarily have to do with leadership? If you're talking floor credibility that's one thing, but you can certainly be a leader and have some, none, or all of the qualities you list.

:agreed:

I think the lead on this team will be the one who gets the entire team to buy wholeheartedly into Few's game plan regardless of what the individual players think they want to do. Who can best motivate his teammates to stick with and execute a game plan when down by 12?

I think Steven has the greatest potential to do that. It could be a powerful combination if Rob and him both do this.

JPtheBeasta
05-19-2010, 07:49 PM
Which player has the ability to make the other players on his team better?

dim4sum
05-19-2010, 07:53 PM
Not having seen any of the newcomers I can't vouch for their leadership qualities, but I don't see any of the returnees as having the calming steadying influence of a Matt Bouldin. I think next year's team will require more motivation from the coaches. Halftime talks shouldn't be overly-analytical , but be more motivational and I'm not sure that exists today.

tyra
05-19-2010, 08:31 PM
I go back to where I started. Last year it was Matt. The year before, Jeremy. What was it? I don't know but when the game was on the line they took charge whether it was their shot or not. And EVERYONE knew it. You could see it and you could feel it. And I'm just not sure who that will be next year. It is almost always a guard.

snebzag
05-19-2010, 08:56 PM
SG and EH will lead by example. Rob will be the vocal. I see Sam Dower as the new influence as rally cap guy. No one posseses the leadership of Adam Morrison when the game is on the line, but then again it is a team sport. Each game may produce a go to guy or leader if you will. New guys? Carter may step up and take over, I'm hoping that will happen. Nice post to re-visit in January 2011.

DADoZAG
05-20-2010, 07:29 AM
Gray. Leadership by example, ie, shutting down the other team's top wing threat.

"Walk quietly and carry a big stick." Teddy

Go ZAGS!

gamagin
05-20-2010, 08:37 AM
in the modus operendi & history of this program, he-whose-name-has-been- pretty-much-ignored-&-besmirched & dispatched by the cognoscente, will be the court leader.

As he was at the end of his freshman year. And as he was at the end of his sophmore year. In the games, when the season was on the line.

We all know him as "Meech", which means, in the Seminole (or is it Apache?) language: "Dances with basketball, runs with wind, defends like crazy, shoots okay, does not fade with season, tough as nails, million dollar smile."