• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jpwils
    Professional Zag Fan
    • Feb 2007

True backup for Sacre

I'm sure it has dawned on our staff that Sacre will need a true center to
    back him up when and if he gets in foul trouble.

I am anxious to see who we might get!
  • BobZag
    Dark Lord of the Zag
    • Jan 2007

Sam Dower, as it stands now.
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Comment

• former1dog
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

I thought I read somewhere in this forum that said there was no intention of recruiting any bigs for the 2010-11 season.

Comment

• BobZag
        Dark Lord of the Zag
        • Jan 2007

Originally posted by former1dog View Post
        I thought I read somewhere in this forum that said there was no intention of recruiting any bigs for the 2010-11 season.
        It feels like I've made that clear about a hundred times, yes.

Comment

• jpwils
          Professional Zag Fan
          • Feb 2007

Size

I'm sure Bobzag that you have made it clear 100 times....however, in my humble opinion, Dower is way small to play backup if matched up against somebody 6-10 or so....saw him working out when I was on campus and
          Olynyk is so much bigger....simply a "hole" that could be addressed if we get
          lucky. I'm sure we can get by in WCC play but for OOC games and Big Dance
          it will be alot different.

I love Olynyk and hope he sees way more PT this year... and I'm sure I will love Dower- but if Harris moves to small forward for half the game it still could put us at risk due to Sacre's propensity to get in foul trouble.
          Just sayin...now if Olynyk develops more as a big man that could suffice...

Comment

• former1dog
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by jpwils View Post
            I'm sure Bobzag that you have made it clear 100 times....however, in my humble opinion, Dower is way small to play backup if matched up against somebody 6-10 or so....saw him working out when I was on campus and
            Olynyk is so much bigger....simply a "hole" that could be addressed if we get
            lucky. I'm sure we can get by in WCC play but for OOC games and Big Dance
            it will be alot different.

I love Olynyk and hope he sees way more PT this year... and I'm sure I will love Dower- but if Harris moves to small forward for half the game it still could put us at risk due to Sacre's propensity to get in foul trouble.
            Just sayin...now if Olynyk develops more as a big man that could suffice...
            How many quality centers play in D1 that are 6'10" or bigger?

Comment

• jpwils
              Professional Zag Fan
              • Feb 2007

Losses

On the surface of things you have a point there.

But if you look at our losses last year, specifically MSU and Wake and SMC-
              we lacked a true big who could come in and bang with huge centers.

I rarely would disagree with Bobzag on the majority of his statements, but unless Olynyk really develops some low post game, we may be in trouble at times.

So,I guess we just disagree.

Comment

• former1dog
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

I rarely would disagree with Bobzag on the majority of his statements, but unless Olynyk really develops some low post game, we may be in trouble at times.

Fair enough.

That said, I don't necessarily agree that our losses to those teams had much to do with the lack of a back up center.

MSU was on their home court and it was a game that we could have won. I'd say a pretty good showing by our very inexperience team.

Wake, one of our best players was ejected and we still almost beat them.

SMC we beat 2 out of 3. The one loss, we held their dominant center to 9 points and 7 boards, less than half his scoring average and below his average on rebounds.

Comment

• CDC84
                  Super Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

final 4

Did anyone watch the final four this year? Where were all these tall, beastly backup big men coming off the bench?

There were none.

If you have a starting 7 footer in the middle who likes to throw his body around, you have more than most top 25 teams do. This isn't the NBA.

What Rob Sacre needs to stop doing is picking up silly fouls. I think having an Olynyk or Dower playing alongside Rob at times will help him defensively. He can hold his ground defensively and let the lengthy power forwards swat shots near the rim. That being said, Rob has got to resist the temptation to pick up cheap fouls. Especially now that he's an upperclassman.

Comment

• cjm720
                    Zag for Life
                    • Nov 2007

As long as Dower contributes more than Foster then we'll be better off compared to last year. Injuries concern me, however.
                    Go Zags!!!

Comment

• BroncoZAG615
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by CDC84 View Post

What Rob Sacre needs to stop doing is picking up silly fouls. I think having an Olynyk or Dower playing alongside Rob at times will help him defensively. He can hold his ground defensively and let the lengthy power forwards swat shots near the rim. That being said, Rob has got to resist the temptation to pick up cheap fouls. Especially now that he's an upperclassman.
                      Exactly.

The frontcourt is 150% solid unless Rob gets hampered by fouls and plays 20 minutes a game.

Sam Dower is going to really surprise people with the way he plays this year and I can't wait.

Comment

• titopoet
                        Zag for Life
                        • Apr 2008

MSU, Wake and SMC all killed us with their backcourt play and in all three cases it was the 3 that burned us. In the case of SMU, when the Zags took out the guards, and let the big hotdog try to beat them, the Zags actually won rather easily. In the case of Wake, it was with the small ball line up, that the Zags brought the game close and nearly pulled it out.

On the need for big guys. Dower is as tall as any of the kids on Butler, and they did okay last year.

Now this doesn't mean that if a athletic 7 footer with a high Basketball IQ comes along, I am against signing him. Only they don't just come along all that often.
                        ----
                        Why not try Love Poems. They work to prime the pump.

Comment

• BobZag
                          Dark Lord of the Zag
                          • Jan 2007

Dower is plenty big, and long with post skills. I'm satisfied with him or Kelly behind Rob.

MSU's Durrell Summers and Kalin Lucas beat us.
                          Wake's guards beat us, especially Ish Smith.
                          Samhan never beat us, it was McConnell and their shooters that did us in.

The bigs are fine.

Comment

• Reborn
                            Zag for Life
                            • Oct 2007

Sacre had plenty of trouble last year getting into foul trouble. I thought Will did a fair job as his backup. I didn't think Olynyk did. Kelly was not effective as a backup center last year, and at times he hurt us. Kelly, unless he's gotten bigger, is not going to be the kind of backup center the Zags need. I haven't seen Sam Dower play, so it's tough to comment. He is 6'9" which is not BIG for a center. And if I am right, he is not all that heavy either, or muscular. Hopefully, time spent in the weight room helped him get bigger. Butler's center was bigger than 6'9", and so was their back up. Their starting center, Howard, as you may remember, was not effective in the tournament and was constantly in foul trouble. I believe he played less than the back-up, who was a pretty big guy and who could shoot.

Duke had 3 centers who were 6'11 or 7'. They will have the two brothers back next year at either 6'11 or 7 feet. If you remember, it was Duke's lack of size at the low post position that Coach K felt kept that from advancing beyond the Sweet 16. I feel it may have been Duke's cetner (who was 7 foott) who made the real difference last year. He was a huge factor in ALL their tournament games. In my opinion, Gonzaga has constantly NOT HAD real good backup centers. It's been a major problem I think. I hope it IS addressed soon.
                            Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Comment

• Once and Future Zag
                              Zag for Life
                              • Jan 2008

Try telling J.P. Batista that 6'9" is too short to be a center.
                              History has its eyes on you.

Sage of the GU Message Board

Comment

Working...
                              X