• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Angelo Roncalli
    Bleeds Bulldog Blue
    • Feb 2007

GU at Notre Dame?

December 11th?

Specific dates and tip times are months away from being completed, but a slice of the 2010-11 Irish men’s basketball schedule is about finished - the marquee non-conference games.
    As part of the SEC/Big East Invitational, Notre Dame is set to face Kentucky at Freedom Hall in Louisville on Dec. 8. Plans are nearly finalized to have perennial national power Gonzaga make its first visit to Purcell Pavilion three days later.
    Add to that an Old Spice Classic field that includes Boston College, California, Temple, Texas A&M and Wisconsin in Orlando, Fla., over Thanksgiving week and Brey feels plenty good - and likely even worried - about next season’s non-league schedule.
    You have to love the Gonzaga fan. Not satisfied to be affronted merely by common hosings at the hands of ragtag referees, he plows all avenues of discontent. - John Blanchette

Gonzaga University...Home of the Zags...The Bulldogs. If you pronounce it "Gone Zaw Ga," they'll know you're not from here and they may charge you more for your coffee. - Garrison Keillor
  • BobZag
    Dark Lord of the Zag
    • Jan 2007

Good stuff. Hope it gets inked.
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Comment

• Section 116
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

Also from Angelo's link:

Brey and his staff already have tinkered with the 2011-12 schedule. It likely will include a return trip to Spokane, Wash., and a late-November rematch with Gonzaga.....

Gotta like that!

Comment

• VaBeachZAG
        Bleeds GU Blue
        • Feb 2007

Works for me........but only if there is a return game in K2!

Comment

Originally posted by VaBeachZAG View Post
          Works for me........but only if there is a return game in K2!
          +1 on that! Our program has evolved to the point that we should only schedule true home and homes or true neutral court schedules.

Comment

• CDC84
            Super Moderator
            • Feb 2007

If Michigan State can return a game at K2 - a team who has been to two straight final 4's - well, Notre Dame surely can.

Comment

• d2zag
              Kennel Club Material
              • Oct 2009

If you read the whole article is says their 11/12 schedule includes a "return trip to Spokane, WA"
              In Few We Trust.

Comment

• VaBeachZAG
                Bleeds GU Blue
                • Feb 2007

Return trip to Spokane doesn't necessarily guarantee K2. ND may try to pull a "Cal" move and push for the Arena. A few years back someone on this board reported that a home and home with ND fell through because ND wanted too much cash to play in K2. If ND doesn't come to K2, I say forget them!

Comment

• Midwestzag
                  Bulldog Fan
                  • Feb 2007

Oh ya!!!

Please make this happen. I want to be in South Bend this December to see GU take down the Irish. I need bragging rights over the army of Domers in my town, parrish, neighborhood, street, next door neighbor---they're everywhere.

Comment

• MDABE80
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

"Plans are nearly finalized to have perennial national power Gonzaga make its first visit to Purcell Pavilion three days later." When I see this, I still can't believe it.

Kinda like when someone calls me "Sir", I still look over my shoulder thinking they're talking to my Dad. It's just amazing to me. Just think about it...

Comment

• CDC84
                      Super Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

Part of what is probably motivating this is the $25 million dollar renovation of the Joyce Center (now named Purcell Pavilion)....normally when a program breaks in a new or renovated arena, they like to have some good non-conference opponents on the sked.

This also makes me wonder if Gonzaga will play Butler on the same trip. Indianapolis is only 138 miles from South Bend.

Comment

• cjm720
                        Zag for Life
                        • Nov 2007

Originally posted by MDABE80 View Post
                        "Plans are nearly finalized to have perennial national power Gonzaga make its first visit to Purcell Pavilion three days later." When I see this, I still can't believe it.

Kinda like when someone calls me "Sir", I still look over my shoulder thinking they're talking to my Dad. It's just amazing to me. Just think about it...
                        It sure puts things in perspective!

This should be a great series.

Go Zags!!!
                        Go Zags!!!

Comment

• ZagKing09
                          Kennel Club Material
                          • Apr 2010

I would be pumped to see this! I would also like to see us take on Georgetown in a battle of the GUs in the next few years!
                          Kings of the West Coast!

T.B.I.Y.T.C.

Comment

Working...
                          X