PDA

View Full Version : Mathis Keitis?

jigga5
05-11-2010, 12:36 PM
I was just reading this article

http://www.nbadraft.net/2010-euro-final-four-juniors-top-prospects

and near the bottom it says:

Honable Mention:

Mathis Keitis 6-4 190 PG France 1993 -- Made top 5 on one of our lists. Played time at both guard positions in the event. He's one of the most polished guards in the event and if he can get time at the point at Gonzaga could really develop.

I guess i missed this... When did we get a commitment from him?

Sorry about the thread if this has been discussed already

theman.themyth.thelegend
05-11-2010, 12:37 PM
Interestingly enough, Christophe of Europeanprospects.com has just announced that Mathis Keita[France] will attend school in the States next season to play NCAA D1 basketball.

Having said that, he has yet to announce where he will be enrolled.

Christophe (http://twitter.com/christopheepcom)further states, "more information to follow".

Has GU shown any interest in Mathis?

jigga5
05-11-2010, 12:39 PM
http://www.guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?t=28840

I just made this thread. As per nbadraft.net he is coming to gonzaga

theman.themyth.thelegend
05-11-2010, 12:46 PM
Mathis Keitis 6-4 190 GUARD France 1993

If confirmed, Gonzaga is becoming 'Villanova of the West'.

We sure do love our Guards, eh?

jigga5
05-11-2010, 12:46 PM
If confirmed, Gonzaga is becoming 'Villanova of the West'.

We sure do love our Guards, eh?

Yes seems like we are stacked at the guard position. Does this mean no more Pangos?

gozagswoohoo
05-11-2010, 12:47 PM
We are going to earn our name....Gaurd U, huh??

Zag 77
05-11-2010, 12:50 PM
Maybe we are going to a 4-guard lineup. Maybe redshirt if this player is coming here?

I thought Tommy went to go get us a big. Maybe the extra schollies due to the transfers changed things.

Things seem to be happening too fast out there.

theman.themyth.thelegend
05-11-2010, 12:51 PM
Considering we posted articles/reports from Europeanprospects.com and NBAdraft.net within a minute of each other re: Mathis Keita, I'm beginning to think its more than a coincidence.

Add in the fact Coach Lloyd just returned from France. . .

Is our new Euro-recruit Mathis Keita? All signs point to _ _ _.

DADoZAG
05-11-2010, 12:52 PM
Not sure if this is the same guy, but from Youtube, number 7 in blue;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtYhMwf_qqI

Go ZAGS!

jigga5
05-11-2010, 12:54 PM
Considering we posted articles/reports from Europeanprospects.com and NBAdraft.net within a minute of each other re: Mathis Keita, I'm beginning to think its more than a coincidence.

Add in the fact Coach Lloyd just returned from France. . .

Is our new Euro-recruit Mathis Keita? All signs point to _ _ _.

I think it is safe to assume YES

gozagswoohoo
05-11-2010, 12:57 PM
I am so confused right now. Whom should I be MOST excited about?? And boy oh boy...I hope our bigs stay healthy this season...

BobZag
05-11-2010, 01:00 PM
Until confirmed, I'm a doubter. NBAdraft.net is not a reliable site.

Pangos is high priority, like Wiltjer.

theman.themyth.thelegend
05-11-2010, 01:00 PM
Mathis is widely considered a scoring 6'4" POINT guard. Our other prospect, Evan Fournier, is more SG/SF type.

On paper, Keita seems more of a SG type with his height/build, yet every scouting report I've come across thus far lists Mathis as a true PG that is at his best when running a team, creating for teammates, piling up the assists, and scoring in low double digits.

Interesting. . .

DADoZAG
05-11-2010, 01:04 PM

Pangos is high priority, like Wiltjer.

BZ, I couldn't imagine anyone on this board with more ability to...

GET A CONFIRMATION!!!!!

But then, I'm sure your already working on it. :D

Go ZAGS!

jigga5
05-11-2010, 01:06 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQjM7hJuFUU&NR=1

another video of him

GUZagDenver
05-11-2010, 01:08 PM
The kid was born in 1993, so it looks like he is going to be a senior in HS next year. This article even states that this was a "junior" event. Could this kid be enrolling in the great Gonzaga Prep HS program in Washington D.C.?? I see that HS program pop up all the time when I search "Gonzaga" on espn.com. Just a thought...........

theman.themyth.thelegend
05-11-2010, 01:12 PM

I concur on NBAdraft.net being unreliable; however, Christophe of Europeanprospects.com seems legit and very aware of the Euro basketball landscape. Also, our fellow poster, xtf, has confirmed his reliability and posted his site as a trusted source.

While Christope nor Mathis have mentioned any schools, Keita is undoubtedly playing NCAA basketball next season.

The question is, where will he play?

Mathis just reported his decision to play D1 hoops on May 8th and Coach Lloyd returned from Europe a week before.

Its definitely not confirmed, but certainly difficult to deny the coincidence here. . .

DADoZAG
05-11-2010, 01:16 PM
These are just highlight videos, but this kid looks pretty good.

What do you say, BZ, with no disrespect to Mr. Pangos, is this a case of a "bird in the hand...?"

Go ZAGS!

theman.themyth.thelegend
05-11-2010, 01:26 PM
During the 2010 Albert Schweitzer Tourney:

Mathis Keita averaged--

13 ppg
4 apg
4 rpg
3 steals

FWIW, Evan Fournier averaged--

23 ppg
2 apg
6 rpg
2 steals

cggonzaga
05-11-2010, 01:26 PM
Agreed Dado. Kid looks like Bouldin with athleticism.

xtf
05-11-2010, 01:41 PM
I heard that Keita has two different scholarship offers, one of them is Gonzaga
not decided yet which one he is going to accept

ZagNative
05-11-2010, 01:46 PM
Great info, xtf. Thanks for your valuable contributions here!

DADoZAG
05-11-2010, 01:46 PM
I heard that Keita has two different scholarship offers, one of them is Gonzaga
not decided yet which one he is going to accept

xtf, how confident are you on your source, and who is the other school?

Go ZAGS!

cggonzaga
05-11-2010, 01:50 PM
I think the other school is Michigan. XTF got that from a twitter posted about a half hour ago.

p.s. someone should correctly spell his name on the title, its Mathis Keita

BobZag
05-11-2010, 01:50 PM
xtf has impeccable sources and is very trustworthy in what he says. I can vouch for him.

And his info jibes with mine.

GoZags
05-11-2010, 01:52 PM
xtf, how confident are you on your source, and who is the other school?

Go ZAGS!

If xtf posts it -- it is from a legitimate source.
There are few opinions I'd trust more.

theman.themyth.thelegend
05-11-2010, 01:58 PM
If xtf posts it -- it is from a legitimate source.
There are few opinions I'd trust more.

If xtf trusts his source(s) and Bobzag & GoZags vouches for xtf, then I suppose I'll trust it as well. :D

PS--> Keep in mind GU has only offered Mathis at this point. At any rate, we could potentially have more than one scholarship offer on the table with several Int'l prospects in mind. Its plausible there could be "others" out there. . .

cggonzaga
05-11-2010, 02:01 PM
http://www.europeanprospects.com/uncategorized/nijt-final-2010-video-highlights/

Nice dunk around 1:55 mark. European Prospects doesn't seem too high on him however.

Mathis Keita Ė 1m92 Ė Guard Ė 1992 Ė INSEP CFBB

Mathis Keita is still in the process of finding his real position. Will he be a full-time PG or remain a combo-guard without a big shooting threat from outside? Right now, he is an excellent scorer on this level, mostly through drives or on the break, but he lacks the necessary regularity from outside and the game tempo control to be a full-time PG on the next level. With his above average athletic abilities for European standards but a rather thin and long frame, he excels in beating his opponent with his first step but struggles sometimes to make the right decision between going fully to the hole or taking the mid-range option with either the pass or the stop to see what the defense gives him.

It looks like Keita can only play at full-speed and has yet to learn when to slow down the rhythm of his team. It was not him, despite playing the PG role for INSEP, that was the real boss on the court while being a year older than most of his team mates. With his capacity to create scoring possibilities, he generates a lot of help situations though which he can read and dish the pass but you can see him also lots of times running into a defensive wall trying to get the call and getting the turnover instead. His game does not look really European at the moment and his interest to play College basketball may be an interesting choice for his future career as the interest of French teams to sign him is apparently not very big.

xtf
05-11-2010, 02:06 PM
for those that don't know, xtf is the author of europeanprospects.com ;)

and the other school is not Michigan

ZagNative
05-11-2010, 02:18 PM
Hate to say it, but count me unexcited so far. Can anyone talk me down from this ledge?

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Junk/Emoticons/Cliff.gif

I know my angst may be premature and based on too little information, but then again that's pretty much what we do here, isn't it ? ...

BobZag
05-11-2010, 02:22 PM
You know, not to be a party pooper, but his 3-point shooting is iffy and he looks very similar to PMAC to me. I don't know, but sheesh, you'd think the staff would've learned by now that guards at GU need to be able to fill it up from deep (or anywhere). Flashy athleticism snookers coaches everytime. "Fool me once..."

I am more excited about Carter and Hyland, especially the latter in the longterm.

Okay, party pooping is done.

DADoZAG
05-11-2010, 02:29 PM
for those that don't know, xtf is the author of europeanprospects.com ;)

and the other school is not Michigan

No disrespect intended, xtf. Weíve all appreciated the info youíve made available.

So, one of your articles is posted above, another, from last February and a bit more complementary, is here;
http://www.europeanprospects.com/1993-born/guard-1993-born/nenad-miljenovic-guard-1993-born-1993-born/nijt-fmp-tournament-2010-the-guards/#more-798

What concerns me is the FT%, below 50 in league isnít acceptable.

Iím sure Iím not the only one that would love to know more about the other school that has offered.

Go ZAGS!

crockdaddy
05-11-2010, 02:30 PM
Any chance Keita would redshirt if he came to GU? Most of the other prospects that have been discussed seem a little more polished, but he seems like a good RS candidate

theman.themyth.thelegend
05-11-2010, 02:34 PM
Given the fact Tommy spent nearly 2 weeks in Europe, I have a feeling we didn't put all our eggs in one basket during his recent recruiting trip. Mathis Keita could be just one of many scholarship offers on the table...

On paper, I must admit he doesn't seem like a fit this year or the next. Mathis essentially plays the same positions as Carter, Keegan, Dranginis, Gary Bell Jr, even Meech, etc.

Maybe if Keita was an ELITE-level point guard, yet another Combo-G with height and shoots a low % from 3pt? Not really filling a need whatsoever...

Now, if we could just find another PF, C, or even a skilled SF to come in--that's the right idea! :)

BobZag
05-11-2010, 02:44 PM
Given the fact Tommy spent nearly 2 weeks in Europe, I have a feeling we didn't put all our eggs in one basket during his recent recruiting trip. Mathis Keita could be just one of many scholarship offers on the table...

There is another. But who is unknown at this point. Maybe another Mathis.

Anyway, there goes my "cut above" hunch. :mad:

VaBeachZAG
05-11-2010, 04:03 PM
I have really hoped we would have a great shot at getting Pangos, but if Keita comes on board, for the life of me I can't see the attraction to Pangos in coming to a program with the log jam we will have at the 1/2 positions. Conversely, why would Keita wish to come to GU when there would be a great question mark about how much playing time he could garner. From what little I have read, there is no way he will be NBA-ready with just one year of D1 experience. Doesn't seem to be a good fit for either GU or for Keita (from his perspective). But what do I know?

bigblahla
05-11-2010, 07:18 PM
Please let this be a dream I'm asleep and this is a dream and if not. WHY?

Go!! Zags!!!

MickMick
05-11-2010, 08:01 PM
I'm fine with it if it happens.

The critique is about how he translates as a pro. Zags are going back to scoring first and the criticism about "slowing the game down" doesn't really apply if an up tempo approach is being used.

On video he looks to have length. I could see him playing a wing at the college level and his PG experience would be an added bonus to the position similar to how Bouldin was used. He didn't look too shabby on the defensive end either.

bigblahla
05-12-2010, 01:37 AM
I'm fine with it if it happens.

The critique is about how he translates as a pro. Zags are going back to scoring first and the criticism about "slowing the game down" doesn't really apply if an up tempo approach is being used.

On video he looks to have length. I could see him playing a wing at the college level and his PG experience would be an added bonus to the position similar to how Bouldin was used. He didn't look too shabby on the defensive end either.

Where does he fit Mick? 80 minutes in the backcourt and Steven will get 30+.

It is what it is but unless someone else is leaving that's 50 minutes or less between a combination of 4-5 players? Redshirt makes no sense?

MickMick
05-12-2010, 04:31 AM
Where does he fit Mick? 80 minutes in the backcourt and Steven will get 30+.

It is what it is but unless someone else is leaving that's 50 minutes or less between a combination of 4-5 players? Redshirt makes no sense?

Gray is a senior and I have the new guy as a wing. It really is the only place he can fit.

DADoZAG
05-12-2010, 05:31 AM

I woke up this morning with a feeling that Iíd missed something and your post pushed the feeling onward. So, I did a little research. I donít have time to attach links to everything, so please bear with me and feel free to back check my findings or dispute my reasoning.

On April 29th, xtf posted that Tommy Lloyd had been in Germany the week before, putting him there the week of April 19th. Was France before or after Germany? I donít know.

However, during the week of April 19th, neither Bell nor Hyland had committed, both doing so on April 26th and April 27th respectively. Further, although Carter had originally given a verbal on April 9th, he waffled on or around April 12th, but then signed on April 19th.

Given those facts, itís very probable that the offer to Mr. Keita was given before the commitments of Bell and Hyland, and possibly before Carter was signed. Looking at video of Keita, even the signing by Carter might not have prevented staff from being excited about his potential. Yes BZ, some get excited about flashy athleticism, me being one of them, provided the other necessary tools seem to be present.

Iím not suggesting that the Gonzaga staff is not still very excited about Mathis Keita, but I am suggesting an offer to another guard makes a bit more sense.

Go ZAGS!

BobZag
05-12-2010, 08:20 AM
There is another guard, and he might very well have been offered. Honestly, I hope so. Keita can't shoot and can't make free-throws. Every statline in every tournament proves it. Maybe he can be a wing like MM suggests, but wings gotta be atleast decent shooters. He can slash but defenses catch on fast to that and shut that option off. Keita is a taller Meech. He can run really fast and jump really high. That's it.

Click on Centre Federal BB http://www.basketfrance.com/_nm1/page_t.php?d=stats&p=cum_equipes&an=0910

I won't post anymore in this thread and won't read it anymore. I'll just part by saying I hope a better guard with better shooting, scoring skills has also been offered over yonder.

cjm720
05-12-2010, 08:39 AM
We need BIGs!!!!

CDC84
05-12-2010, 09:05 AM
The staff will not be bringing in any big men in the 2010 class. That's what I've been told.

I still have doubts about Gonzaga truly being interested in Mathis, despite what nbadraft.net and other sources are saying. The reason is because the staff really, really wants Pangos, and I just cannot see Pangos committing to Gonzaga if the staff takes Mathis. If they take Mathis, the program in 2011/12 will have five different guys on its roster that can play PG to varying degrees: Goodson, Carter, Dranginis, Mathis and Bell Jr. I just can't see Pangos joining the party, even if he or Mathis agrees to redshirt. And I am also beginning to doubt if Pangos will ever redshirt. I mean, the kid is being recruited by factory schools.

Jedster
05-12-2010, 09:54 AM
So if no bigs, with the glut of pg-capable players, and our strong desire for Pango's, no 1 then either. We'd be looking at a 2 or 3 then. Ought to narrow our list of candidates a bit then.

I agree with BZ in regards to Keitis is a bigger Meech. When I first read the description of him above, that was my first impression...sounds like Meech!

Exciting times to be a GU fan! Can't wait to hear who it is!

RockandRollJames
05-12-2010, 10:02 AM
There is another. But who is unknown at this point. Maybe another Mathis.

Anyway, there goes my "cut above" hunch. :mad:

Yes, possibly another Mathis. I am just weighing my options at this point. ;)

dim4sum
05-12-2010, 10:33 AM
Vilarino and Gibbs just left. Now, it appears we're planting the seeds for a new log jam in the back court if all the recruiting talk comes to fruition.
We're getting like Romar whose peculiar obsession is lean 6-6 wings.

Reborn
05-12-2010, 11:34 AM
The staff will not be bringing in any big men in the 2010 class. That's what I've been told.

That leaves us:
At the Power Forward or 4: Harris, Olynyk, Dower, Manny Arop (yes Manny did play at the 4 this year more than the 3 ). At the Center of 5: Sacre, Olynyk and Dower.

I would say that we are in better shape at the two post positions then we were last year. I would have to think that Dower will contribute more than Will did, and the others are a year older and will be better. I think Kelly Olynyk is going to be considerably better. I don't see him playing at the 3 as do some fans. We have plenty of guys at the 3 and Kelly played so well at the 4 this year I just don't see a need to move him. He passes and dribbles well, and he did well and was very effective at the 4 last year. I needs to be much better shooting 3's next year and I am sure he will be.

zag67
05-12-2010, 12:36 PM
Also Reborn, I think that Kong played some 4. So I agree with you.

cjm720
05-12-2010, 01:20 PM
As I recall, Manny and Kong would play on the low wings while in a 3-2 zone. Not sure if that's technically a "4" but that's what I've referred to it as.

Not sure if I ever recall either playing a true 4 while playing man to man D. Outside the starting line-up, Few typically went zone.

webspinnre
05-12-2010, 05:06 PM
low wings in the 3-2 a '4'? Normally in a 3-2 it'd be the two underneath who are the post players, not the wings. That being said, there would be situations where him being the 4 could work, depending on matchups.

VinnyZag
05-12-2010, 05:34 PM
low wings in the 3-2 a '4'? Normally in a 3-2 it'd be the two underneath who are the post players, not the wings. That being said, there would be situations where him being the 4 could work, depending on matchups.

I assume he meant 2-3. I don't really remember seeing any 3-2 out of GU anyway. For that matter, does anybody play 3-2 anymore?

webspinnre
05-12-2010, 07:16 PM
I assume he meant 2-3. I don't really remember seeing any 3-2 out of GU anyway. For that matter, does anybody play 3-2 anymore?

There are a few who play a 1-2-2, which is pretty close to a 3-2. But yeah, if he's talking 2-3, then the wings are usually the 3 and 4, but are somewhat interchangeable. That's one of the benefits of the 2-3, being able to play an undersized 4 as long as you've got someone like Rob in the middle.