PDA

View Full Version : DeAngelo Casto article

BobZag
05-07-2007, 03:03 PM
http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=2&c=642191

Casto exploded this past season to the tune of 17 points, 11 rebounds and 5 blocks per game in leading undefeated Ferris to the state Class 4A hoops title, and some well timed thunderous dunks during a few games brought the house down.

As his junior year at Ferris comes to a close, the 6-foot-8, 185-pound power forward is waiting on his first collegiate offer.

mnzag24
05-07-2007, 03:43 PM
Bob, can you copy and paste the article onto here? You gotta be a VIP member or whatever they call it, thanks

JAGzag
05-07-2007, 03:50 PM
Bob, what's the story with this one? I remember reading some blurbs about his abilities, but is he GU material? Is the staff showing real interest?

BobZag
05-07-2007, 04:09 PM
Yes, the article states that Gonzaga is indeed showing interest, along with WSU, UW, and others. I think the staff is waiting for an SAT score, and are continuing to evaluate him this summer.

The article is a WSU Scout.com premium piece; I don't think the guy would appreciate copy/paste onto a free site. Sorry. :)

RebornZag
05-07-2007, 04:28 PM
The article also stated that GU is interested in Stockton which I think is great. I'm really behind GU offering Stockton, more than I am for them offering Castro.

BobZag
05-07-2007, 05:35 PM
The article also stated that GU is interested in Stockton which I think is great. I'm really behind GU offering Stockton, more than I am for them offering Castro.

I think Castro used up all his eligibility one October forty-five years ago.

meadgrad02
05-07-2007, 06:06 PM
why are you so high on Stockton Reborn? just curious.

RebornZag
05-08-2007, 05:57 AM
Stockton was voted the MVP of the 4A State tournament as a Junior. That's quite an achievement and honor. I believe the quality of basketball in Washington right now is very good. I would think that the MVP from the top ranked team in the state should really get some consideration. I watched Stockton in the tournament and he is solid. He's a great passer and knows how to distribute the ball. I think Gonzaga should go after at least one home grown player.

I would also be looking for someone who really wants to be a Zag...who bleeds Zag blood. The way Pendograft did (does). The way Casey C. did (does). The was Dan Dickau did. The way Errol Knight did. The way Derek Raivio did (does)...on and on and on. We have so many great scorers right now and more coming in, and I think for us to get a local kid who can get the ball to them first before looking for his shot would be a huge plus in the next five years. My take on Stockton is that he's a team player first who would bleed for Gonzaga. If that is true I would take that over a huge scorerer or a crowd pleasing dunker. We have many of those right now too. :D

23dpg
05-08-2007, 07:07 AM
I'm not 100% sold on Stockton yet. I think he is a very good player, definitely tough, but maybe not quick enough to play the PG. I could be wrong.

BTW, remember, Dickau and Knight originally wanted to be Huskies.

meadgrad02
05-08-2007, 08:40 AM
I'm not sold on him either. I just don't see it right now. I don't see him as being a starting division I point guard right now. I don't see him being able to lead a team like Gonzaga. But maybe after I watch the GSL this year, my opinion will change.

SteeleMan
05-08-2007, 09:01 AM
I don't think it's inconceivable that Stockton won't walk on at GU.

meadgrad02
05-08-2007, 09:09 AM
Yeah, I'm sure he could be a walk-on, but I don't think he's solid enough to get a full-ride. I think we could pursue many more polished point guards out there.

Asotin
05-08-2007, 09:38 AM
I hope and pray that Coach Bennet will offer Stockton. He is the type of player and teammate that you want on your team, no matter whether he plays or sits. Heck I am not saying they are the same but the things you guys are saying, are the same things Raveling was saying about John which is why he ended up a Zag and the rest is history.;)

Calvary wanted to be a Coug, Mallon and Heyvelt grew up Coug fans.....sigh curse Eastman and Grahm. Then again without going through the lows they brought upon us we would never have gotten to see the highs that the Bennetts have brought and hopefully will continue to bring.

Zag 77
05-08-2007, 02:24 PM
The kids at Ferris HS say that DeAngelo is no Rhodes scholar. That is not an automatic disqualifier, but is certainly something that GU or any other school has to factor in to the equation. Maybe he can succeed academically anyway.

As to Shawn Stockton, I would wonder if he would be motivated to come to GU. Those of us who are G-Prep alums are aware that there is a bit of rivalry between the Stockton families (that is why Shawn went to Ferris instead of G-Prep), and Shawn may not want to be in the shadow of Uncle John.

RebornZag
05-08-2007, 04:19 PM
If what you say is true Zag77 then Stockton going to WSU or UW makes a lot of sense sense they are huge rivals of Gonzaga. From what you're saying then, '77 it sounds like Stockton wouldn't be interested in GU anyway. God bless him them....

eastsideballer
05-08-2007, 08:39 PM
I would agree that S is a solid player but I do not think he is Div I caliber at this point in his life. Undersized, not exceptionally quick, needs to work on his perimater shooting, etc etc. He may explode as a senior so I wont count him out until it is said and done. I also do not agree with his MVP at state, no more than i agree with Karstetter being MVP of the GSL. Everything else aside Casto deserved the honors on both counts. I would think Stockton would fit in nicely at a SPU, Central, Western, or another Div II school. He would be able to contribute and that has to mean something.
I to like the rest of you wish him the very best next year, he is a good kid, good parents and family and in general a class act.

SunDevilGolfZag
05-09-2007, 05:05 PM
Stockton is an open book at this time, but IMO, if, for example a Danny Pariseau from the GSL can play in the WCC, the future should look at least as bright (if not way way brighter) for Stockton to do the same. This opinion comes only from my watching both play at various ages

young julez
05-11-2007, 11:57 AM
Anybody heard anything about this? Some kids at Franklin HS seen him and his Mom at the school getting signed up for school...said the family moved to Seattle.