PDA

View Full Version : What is the Impact of Losing Three Transfers in One Season on Academic Numbers?

Martin Centre Mad Man
05-10-2010, 06:38 AM
All -

Gonzaga is usually among the better Division I men's basketball programs on most measures of academic achievement. I am concerned that the recent defections will hurt this side of the univeristy's record. I seem to recall that transferring players count against a program's graduation rates and APR.

If so, losing three transferring scholarship players in one year would have a pretty bad impact on Gonzaga's numbers. Is this right? If so, does this concern anybody else?

webspinnre
05-10-2010, 07:10 AM
I believe they fixed it, so that so long as they were in good academic standing on course for their diploma that they don't hurt.

CDC84
05-10-2010, 08:17 AM
I believe they fixed it, so that so long as they were in good academic standing on course for their diploma that they don't hurt.

This is correct as far as the APR is concerned. As long as these guys leave Gonzaga in good academic standing (and I have no reason to believe they won't), it won't have a negative effect on the program.

And it shouldn't.

The NCAA doesn't care about graduation rates because they are not an appopriate way to measure the academic progress of a sports program. The APR is by no means a flawless thing, but it is much better than penalizing programs for not graduating a player in good academic standing who wants to go to another school for more playing time. If graduation rates were used to measure academic progress, Gonzaga wouldn't get any credit for the juco players who have come into the program....for instance, a guy like Batista, who was a distinguished student while he was at GU.

Unfortunately, I think people who don't follow college basketball are still not aware of the APR and why the NCAA uses it. But that's partly the fault of the NCAA for not publicizing it more whenever one of these professors comes out with a study that criticizes basketball programs for not graduating players.

Martin Centre Mad Man
05-10-2010, 09:02 AM
I'm glad to hear that. In any event, I wish all of the recent transfers nothing but the best of success in their academic and athletic pursuits.