PDA

View Full Version : This Just Reinforces my Belief...

BobZag
05-08-2010, 09:28 AM
...that we'll be seeing a Euro arrive before September. My spidey Jedi senses tell me Germany. I hear whispers.

There is little doubt now.

The only question is: Who?

Jedster
05-08-2010, 09:35 AM
I can't wait to see who this is. I'm intrigued at the possibilities. Is Tommy back from Europe yet? Seems he was there a couple weeks ago. Depending on the player, I'm sure they have to do some serious background checks to make sure he meets the amateur status and isn't a pro (based on any money being paid). This could take a bit longer to go through that process.

Crazy
05-08-2010, 09:38 AM
i'll bet on giffey, because he had serious plans to go to college but i can not say how strong he is because i never saw him.

But he should be good, but not a stud like elias ;)

RockandRollJames
05-08-2010, 11:28 AM
Man, I know we have been told not to worry before, but this whole scholarship thing just doesn't add up. I want Wiltjer and Pangos, not Wiltjer or Pangos.

That being said, I'm always excited about new guys for next year. And if this Euro is good, then I'm good.

RockandRollJames
05-08-2010, 11:29 AM
Man, I know we have been told not to worry before, but this whole scholarship thing just doesn't add up. I want Wiltjer and Pangos, not Wiltjer or Pangos.

That being said, I'm always excited about new guys for next year. And if this Euro is good, then I'm good.

Maybe I should read other posts (like GJ transferring out), before I post things like this. :)

d2zag
05-08-2010, 12:01 PM
Giffey and Heckmann. But does anybody have any info on this guy, Dennis Ogbe? Looks like an all-around stud. Here's a highlight video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c28EGGpYyao

Crazy
05-08-2010, 01:21 PM
he play in the same league like Elias does, but as a reserve and not that dominating like him ;) He is gifted, but would need to step up to be a help for your program.

His Pro B stats:
http://statistik.basketball-bundesliga.de/zweite/stats/player/index.php?team=447&saison=2009&spieler_id=8807

BobZag
05-08-2010, 02:40 PM
It's obvious, isn't it. Seems crystal clear to me. It could be a number of players. Mathis Monninghoff, Daniel Leithner... Until I hear a name from a trusted source, there's no way to know who it definitely is. Maybe Nowitski has some eligibility. :)

I'd laugh if it turned out to be Philipp Neumann.

Bogozags
05-08-2010, 04:44 PM
I know that any recruit coming in from Europe (Germany) will be:

Intelligent (academically and with court sense)
Skilled with better than average fundamentals
A Gifted athlete
A shooter, with a propensity to rebound
A decent defensive player
Hungry and eager to learn
A team player
Mature and never a problem on/off the court
Feel at home climate wise in Spokane and
Miss his schnitzel

DADoZAG
05-09-2010, 05:14 AM
I'd laugh if it turned out to be Philipp Neumann.

But there'd be no laughing by ZAG opponents...

A player of Neumann’s caliber would put this program over the top, imo.

Go ZAGS!

BobZag
05-09-2010, 09:38 AM
What if, perchance, Tommy throws us all a curveball and it's Evan Fournier from France? That Tommy is a sneaky fella.

crockdaddy
05-09-2010, 11:42 AM
Don't tease us like that Bob. If Tommy snags Fournier, then we should buy him a present

BobZag
05-09-2010, 11:49 AM
Don't tease us like that Bob. If Tommy snags Fournier, then we should buy him a present

Strictly hypothetical. But you're right, we would have to buy Tommy something and declare a Tommy Lloyd Day in Zagville.

MDABE80
05-09-2010, 05:09 PM
Tommy looked pretty happy yesterday when I saw him. Tired but happy...also very slippery when I asked him who he found. Evasive...but he said he found a killer player. We'll see in the next few weeks. We'll know more then. Ear to the ground all you Jedis;) Come to pass, it will.

billyberu
05-09-2010, 05:33 PM
I...cannot...wait...much...longer!!

Zagatak
05-09-2010, 08:15 PM
MDABE... Do you happen to know who this kid is? What country he's from?

d2zag
05-09-2010, 10:23 PM
Many thanks Crazy!

The suspense is literally killing me.

ronh_pm
05-10-2010, 08:46 AM
I just hope whoever it is, that Jon Wilner enjoys a few more minutes a ill deserved fame as it's fun to watch the cockroach scurry about and then crawl into the cracks when the light is turned on.

007Zag
05-10-2010, 09:12 AM
Man, I cannot wait to hear who it is? The Zags just keep upgrading, BABY!

CDC84
05-10-2010, 09:50 AM
I just hope whoever it is, that Jon Wilner enjoys a few more minutes a ill deserved fame as it's fun to watch the cockroach scurry about and then crawl into the cracks when the light is turned on.

Wilner is going to stay in the cracks because of NCAA resolution 2009-22, which allows amateur foreign players to be eligible even if they played alongside pros. Elias Harris never played alongside pros, but even if he did, it won't matter now.

This is why I expect Tommy Lloyd to spend more time overseas than ever before. There is now a lot less to worry about when it comes to overseas recruiting.

ChrisB
05-10-2010, 10:02 AM
Rumours in Germany say that Llyod amongst others was watching the NBBL match between Leverkusen (with Mönninghoff) and ALBA (with Giffey).
Source is biggest German basketball forum "Schoenen Dunk.de": http://www.schoenen-dunk.de/forum_t9464_Deutsche-in-der-NCAA_19.htm, specifically user xtf. In this category of the forum, Germans in the NCAA is the overall topic with the latest entries the ones of interest for you.

BobZag
05-10-2010, 10:10 AM
Rumours in Germany say that Llyod amongst others was watching the NBBL match between Leverkusen (with Mönninghoff) and ALBA (with Giffey).
Source is biggest German basketball forum "Schoenen Dunk.de": http://www.schoenen-dunk.de/forum_t9464_Deutsche-in-der-NCAA_19.htm, specifically user xtf. In this category of the forum, Germans in the NCAA is the overall topic with the latest entries the ones of interest for you.

Who do you think is better, Monninghoff or Giffey?

Crazy
05-10-2010, 11:07 AM
i think i would go for Mönninghoff, but they are close.

thespywhozaggedme
05-10-2010, 11:19 AM
Crazy or Chris B, what about Heckmann? He appears to be better than both, and his #'s are sick, especially for a guard. Bob, is Tommy not interested in him? Thanks

Patrick Heckmann (1m97 – Guard – 1992 – ASC Theresianum Mainz)

Patrick Heckmann was one of the players in this game who I have not seen before. This has changed now and I must admit that it was about time. The 1m97 guard, who is listed as a forward but played most of the time as PG, is definitely among the most talented players in the NBBL and in Germany in general. After a year with Cheyenne Mountain High School in the US, where he transformed a losing team into a Play-off participant, the athletic guard came back to Germany and plays an outstanding season with the ASC NBBL team but is also one of the team leaders of the ASC Seniors in the Regionalliga (4th German division).

Heckmann displays a rare combination of basketball understanding, leadership qualities, athletic abilities and a winning spirit. He led his NBBL to a surprising 8-1 record and showed also in the All-Star game why he is considered as a top talent, he scored 7 of the 9 points of the South team in the overtime to secure the win and earn a deserved MVP trophy. In the beginning of the game, Heckmann showed some nice drives out of the catch immediately beating his opponent with either the left or the right hand. He finished those penetrations very well and close to the basket where his good athletic abilities helped him. He can create for his team mates, this is why he should play Point Guard on the professional level.

The guard from Mainz showed all his leadership and basketball skills in the three-minute long overtime where he decided the game nearly all by himself. A nice drive on the break finished from 45 degrees of the glass with the foul, another drive finished with a finger roll and a ultra tough 3pt fade-away jump shot to seal the deal were the plays that earned him the MVP award. He finished the game with 19pts (7/8 FGs, 4/5FTs), 1reb, 2asts, 3stls and 1blk. With his basketball skills and a good body structure to build on, Heckmann looks right now as a very interesting prospect. Several professional teams tried to sign him after his year in the USA, but he returned to his hometown Mainz where he will stay until 2012 and get his high school degree. Afterwards, everything should be possible for him.

NBBL Stats: 25.7ppg (47.7% FG 89.3% FT), 5.5rpg, 2.3apg, 2.4spg, 0.7bpg

SLOZag
05-10-2010, 11:20 AM
Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Rugn8NUwfg

thespywhozaggedme
05-10-2010, 11:31 AM
This is the babblefish translation of a post from the German poster XTF:

Tommy Lloyd Gonzaga should have been in Germany for a game between NBBL Leverkusen and ALBA to look. (And other games of Dia) after it came out something for Giffey Niels I know not whether

This is from a Michigan blog, apparently Beilin was trying to lure him to Ann Arbor; again his #'s a re ridiculous, specifically his shooting %'s. What is it with German kids shooting so well?

The other name was Niels Giffey, a 6-foot-6 versatile forward who missed some time due to mononucleosis (video, #5 in yellow). EuroProspects says:

the forward from ALBA Berlin showed in Bonn that he is still one of the most talented players in Germany. He can do it all, rebound, score and win games…

His shot looks improved and he showed nice range throughout the game and can vary the outside-inside game pretty well. With his shooting improving, Giffey is on the right move and the long-time illness seems gone.

NBBL Stats: 13.6ppg (61.8% 2FG, 44.4% 3FG :eek: ), 4.4rpg

http://www.umhoops.com/2010/02/19/recruiting-qa-where-things-stand/

Here's some video, he's # 5 in yellow. A wirey 6'6 left handed sf, Micah 2.0. lol Man it looks like Germany and Canada are producing a ton of young kids and we're in the loop on both. Sweet!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKYXbzl59Ng&feature=player_embedded

cjm720
05-10-2010, 11:38 AM
This is the babblefish translation of a post from the German poster XTF:

Tommy Lloyd Gonzaga should have been in Germany for a game between NBBL Leverkusen and ALBA to look. (And other games of Dia) after it came out something for Giffey Niels I know not whether

This is from a Michigan blog, apparently Beilin was trying to lure him to Ann Arbor; again his #'s a re ridiculous, specifically his shooting %'s. What is it with German kids shooting so well?

The other name was Niels Giffey, a 6-foot-6 versatile forward who missed some time due to mononucleosis (video, #5 in yellow). EuroProspects says:

the forward from ALBA Berlin showed in Bonn that he is still one of the most talented players in Germany. He can do it all, rebound, score and win games…

His shot looks improved and he showed nice range throughout the game and can vary the outside-inside game pretty well. With his shooting improving, Giffey is on the right move and the long-time illness seems gone.

NBBL Stats: 13.6ppg (61.8% 2FG, 44.4% 3FG :eek: ), 4.4rpg

http://www.umhoops.com/2010/02/19/recruiting-qa-where-things-stand/

Here's some video, he's # 5 in yellow. A wirey 6'6 left handed sf, Micah 2.0. lol Man it looks like Germany and Canada are producing a ton of young kids and we're in the loop on both. Sweet!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKYXbzl59Ng&feature=player_embedded

Hey Spy,

Are you suggesting that there's a Giffey Niels and a Niels Giffey? Seems like there one in the same...

thespywhozaggedme
05-10-2010, 12:39 PM
Hey Spy,

Are you suggesting that there's a Giffey Niels and a Niels Giffey? Seems like there one in the same...

Huh? I'm lost.....:confused:

Oh, I see now, you're confused. You're reading two quotes, one a German translation that lists his last name first, the other from a UM blog, that lists his name in standard American form, i.e first name then last, they're not my writings. Hope that helps. Did you really think that I thought there were 2 different German kids that we were looking at, with the exact same first and last name, only transposed? lol

FlyZag
05-10-2010, 12:53 PM
[QUOTE=thespywhozaggedme;568555] What is it with German kids shooting so well? /QUOTE]

Perhaps it has something to do with defense?

cjm720
05-10-2010, 12:53 PM
Huh? I'm lost.....:confused:

Oh, I see now, you're confused. You're reading two quotes, one a German translation that lists his last name first, the other from a UM blog, that lists his name in standard American form, i.e first name then last, they're not my writings. Hope that helps. Did you really think that I thought there were 2 different German kids that we were looking at, with the exact same first and last name, only transposed? lol

I'm glad you picked up on my subtle humor :D , and nope I didn't really think that's what you thought (or I really hoped not LOL).

Getting pumped about this Euro connection!!!!

CDC84
05-10-2010, 12:55 PM
I have a feeling that this guy might be a big man as opposed to a guard or a wing. Just a guess on my part.

VinnyZag
05-10-2010, 01:02 PM
I have a feeling that this guy might be a big man as opposed to a guard or a wing. Just a guess on my part.

If they DON'T add a big man, and there's an injury to the Sacre-Harris-Dower-Olynyk quartet ...

CDC84
05-10-2010, 01:11 PM
If they DON'T add a big man, and there's an injury to the Sacre-Harris-Dower-Olynyk quartet ...

Exactly.

Also, if they want to play Harris more at the 3, they need another big man. If Kelly Olynyk is going to play on the perimeter more (which is where he truly belongs), they need another big man.

Gonzaga has enough guards and wings for 2010/11. But if Tommy has a guy who is a total stud, and he happens to be a guard/wing, I can't argue against going after him.

d2zag
05-10-2010, 01:13 PM
All I see is a mention here (http://www.nbadraft.net/node/20505). Very interesting mention I might add. Chris or Crazy, you have any info on him? Thanks.

To keep an eye on for the NCAA: Germanys SF Martin Breuning could be the next coming of Elias Harris.

Jyz
05-10-2010, 02:51 PM
Martin Breunig NBBL profile (http://statistik.basketball-bundesliga.de/nbbl/stats/player/index.php?team=1000&pos=SF&spieler_id=11657&saison=2009)

2009 thread about him not being ProB ready yet (official teamforum, german) (http://www.leverkusen.com/bayer04/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=26)

Team Germany U18 stats Albert Schweizer Tourney 2010 (http://statistik.basketball-bundesliga.de/AST/info.php?team=4007&show=3&saisonx=2009)

All AST2010 teams and stats here (http://statistik.basketball-bundesliga.de/AST/teams.php)

d2zag
05-10-2010, 04:37 PM
There are some amazing Euro prospects out there!! Pretty much any that we have been speculating on will be an amazing addition to our team!

ChrisB
05-11-2010, 12:10 AM
Should have stayed a bit longer in here yesterday... sorry for replying this lately.
First of all I have to say that I´m not an expert, just an interested follower of German basketball. That´s why I haven´t seen any of the players mentioned here in this forum personally.
However, others did. I can just recommend the site europeanprospects.com, which is run by the above mentioned user xtf or Christophe. There are detailled analysis of e.g. Mönninghoff and Heckmann (alongside Neumann by the way). The latest analysis are based on their performance at the Albert-Schweitzer-Tournament and should be a good indicator concerning their level of play: http://www.europeanprospects.com/1992-born/center-1992-born/philipp-neumann/albert-schweitzer-tournament-2010-germany-u18/#more-1204
Asked if Mönninghoff or Giffey is better, I would go for Mönninghoff as well, simply because he has proved himself in good competition for example at the AST or the Pro B.
Breunig is almost unknown to me, that´s why I don´t dare myself to evaluate him.

One thing I almost forgot: Please keep in mind that all these kids are good but not as outstanding players as Elias is and already was when playing in Germany.

xtf
05-11-2010, 01:05 AM
With those strange thread names, i totally missed out this one as it is particularly interesting once again.

About Giffey, Heckmann and Mönninghoff has already been enough said I think. as far as I know is Heckmann only a 2011 eligible player, Mönninghoff I think too but not sure about him.

The before mentioned Ogbe is maybe putting less interesting numbers on the table than Harris did in the ProB but they play in totally different teams. Harris played in a low-end team where there were no professionals and he was the go-to-guy. Ogbe plays in a team with a multitude of professionals and plays the top5 position of this league. So this is quite a different situations. Ogbe is currently also being recruited by a multitude of Div1 programs and he is playing this weekend with his team Franken Hexer in the German U19 Final 4. I will be present there so a longer report on him will come out afterwards as well as an interview with him before. Don't forget to check my website for that ;-)
Niels Giffey will also play in that Final 4 anyhow.

Martin Breunig is an athletic PF, long but not large. He played as a backup PF for the German U18 National Team at the Albert Schweitzer Tournament and excelled as a shot blocker and rebounder. How nbadraft.net sees him as a 2nd coming of Harris, I don't get it though as Harris is a lot stronger physically and has by far more experience and offensive talent than Breunig, at least in the current situation. But Breunig is 3 year younger than Harris and probably also only a 2011 eligible player.

thespywhozaggedme
05-11-2010, 06:49 AM
[QUOTE=thespywhozaggedme;568555] What is it with German kids shooting so well? /QUOTE]

Perhaps it has something to do with defense?

That might explain post players with high percentages, but these are guards and swingmen shooting in the mid to high 50's, and Giffey is shooting in the 60's as an sf; I don't care how bad the "d" is, you still gotta make the shots.

thespywhozaggedme
05-11-2010, 06:52 AM
Hey xtf, chrisb and crazy, I think I speak for everyone here when I say thank you and welcome to our board. We really appreciate your info from across the pond. You're welcomed here anytime. :cheers:

GoZags
05-11-2010, 07:02 AM
Hey xtf, chrisb and crazy, I think I speak for everyone here when I say thank you and welcome to our board. We really appreciate your info from across the pond. You're welcomed here anytime. :cheers:

Agreed. Your contributions and insights are GREATLY appreciated. Thanks so much.

Crazy
05-11-2010, 05:34 PM
I disagree. He belongs in the high post as a power forward, so he really needs to work on his strength and footwork. I just don't see him having the quickness, handles, or shooting to be a factor out there. All his perimeter skills translate well to playing like a Memhet Okur or Rasheed Wallace(at his best with Portland or Detroit). Not saying he is as talented as those guys, but his game could shadow their's.

i agree with this and i like those combination with a talented three who should be a four with his body, and a four who is more like a three - i believe they both could be helping each other to develop and give Few a few extra tactical oppurtunity.

About Breuning, i believe it is the best to wait about xtf view he is normally a very good source and i don't know much about him(but i was a bit surprised to hear his name in combination with NBA, but this haven't to be wrong but it is for sure a long way to go but with hard work a lot things a possible).

Jyz
05-18-2010, 05:01 PM
Giffey and Heckmann. But does anybody have any info on this guy, Dennis Ogbe? Looks like an all-around stud. Here's a highlight video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c28EGGpYyao

Ogbe signed with Tennessee Tech this weekend and will play Ohio Valley Conference next season if I am correct.

Crazy
05-19-2010, 11:23 AM
Ogbe signed with Tennessee Tech this weekend and will play Ohio Valley Conference next season if I am correct.

funny thing i just ask google about Ogbe "transfer" to tennese tech, to get a overview about his team and his perspective and google linked me that post as second result.

First one was xtf twitter acc ;)

VinnyZag
05-19-2010, 11:31 AM
Giffey can't hit a fastball any more, adds nothing defensively and falls asleep in the clubhouse during games.

Oh, I'm thinking GRiffey, not Giffey.

webspinnre
05-19-2010, 12:36 PM
Giffey would probably be a better DH than Griffey.

VinnyZag
05-19-2010, 02:08 PM
Giffey would probably be a better DH than Griffey.

couldn't be worse

MaEs
05-25-2010, 12:31 AM
Here is a video of Martin Breunig from Bayer Leverkusen. I worked him out about 2 weeks ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rr4WGVgN8Y

Zerogame
05-25-2010, 02:11 AM
Thanks Martin for the insider preview, looks like this young man is big, strong, and talented. Have you got him wrapped up for next season at St. Johns?
3 years younger than Harris...lot of upside for this kid.

MaEs
05-25-2010, 08:31 AM
We are still working on some of the formalities but he has officially committed and will be playing for us for one year. We are very excited about him and are confident that he will be a high division one prospect.

cjm720
05-25-2010, 08:56 AM
We are still working on some of the formalities but he has officially committed and will be playing for us for one year. We are very excited about him and are confident that he will be a high division one prospect.

Who is "we"?

Is this kid coming to Gonzaga?

Zerogame
05-25-2010, 08:59 AM
check page 2 at bottom for youtube video. Martin is his coach.

cjm720
05-25-2010, 09:05 AM
check page 2 at bottom for youtube video. Martin is his coach.

So Martin is Martin Bruenig's coach? And Marin Bruenig is going to St. John's?

What's Gonzaga's angle?

Zerogame
05-25-2010, 09:11 AM
So Martin is Martin Bruenig's coach? And Marin Bruenig is going to St. John's?

What's Gonzaga's angle?

I think the fact that his coach found us to share his video is the key...

BobZag
05-25-2010, 09:12 AM
Sounds like Bruenig will be play a year for a small college in the midwest.

ZagNative
05-25-2010, 09:12 AM
Link to St. John's Northwestern Military Academy Post Graduate's site (http://www.sjnma.org/page.cfm?p=414). The school address is in Delafield, Wisconsin. Looks like this fall is the first season for the prep school program.
St. John’s Northwestern Military Academy is excited to announce a new program tailored to the demands of students seeking acceptance to one of the nation’s service academies, or those looking to do work at the college level for admission to a particular college or university. The Post Graduate Leadership Program will begin in fall 2010, and is open to current graduating senior cadets and other off campus candidates.

Thanks for stopping by, Coach!

Zerogame
05-25-2010, 09:20 AM
He is 3 years younger than Harris according to an earlier post. So, I assume he will be in the prep school at S.J.

cjm720
05-25-2010, 10:35 AM
I think the fact that his coach found us to share his video is the key...

His new coach at St. John's...got it. He's pumped and he's trying to find him a D1 spot...probably knowing about Tommy and his connections. Think I got it!

Know only if I had youtube at work :mad:

MaEs
05-25-2010, 12:13 PM
I found this discussion and thought I would share this video so everyone can see who Martin Breunig is. I am the International Scout for SJNMA and player development coach. Some people have compared Martin to Elias and we (SJNMA Coaching Staff) will try our best to get him to that level.