PDA

View Full Version : G.J.Vilarino to transfer out

NorthoftheBorder
05-07-2010, 05:20 PM
Krem2 sports just broke the story that G.J. is transferring out because of lack of playing time. No word on where he may end up.

BobZag
05-07-2010, 05:24 PM
And why I have felt tremors in The Force from a continent far, far away - to go with a couple more top 2011'ers.

ZagsObserver
05-07-2010, 05:25 PM
Wow, if this is verified, does Gonzaga have enough depth at the guard positions? We have Demitri and Gray returning, and no doubt Gray will get a lot of minutes, but then we are relying on two new guys to come in an immediately make contributions.

BobZag
05-07-2010, 05:26 PM
Illinois, me thinks.

ZagsObserver
05-07-2010, 05:32 PM
Curious to know if GJ and Gibbs transferred out in part because Few recruited Carter and Keegan, or Few recruited Carter and Keegan because he thought they both might transfer...

jazzdelmar
05-07-2010, 05:43 PM
Curious to know if GJ and Gibbs transferred out in part because Few recruited Carter and Keegan, or Few recruited Carter and Keegan because he thought they both my transfer...

both...few whiffed on both talentwise and both saw handrwiting on wall last yr and surely after few signed late bandaids for nxt yr.....is this the end of it or will we see a 3rd leave?

JPtheBeasta
05-07-2010, 05:51 PM
So, my initial impression is that the starters are set and Few has upgraded the back-up positions. Players will have more definitive roles and you won't have players sitting the bench thinking they should be playing (ie GG and GJ)

1)Meech-Carter
2)Gray-Hyland
3)Arop-Kong
4)Harris-KO
5)Sacre-Dower

...is a pretty good rotation to me. I don't personally like Harris at the 3 because you lose a lot of rebounding and defense with Arop on the bench (I don't care about the NBA as much as I do this team, and I wonder why Few would. Nobody spent time fixing Tim Tebow's throwing mechanics or put in a pro-style offense to improve his draft stock. I digress...) You can't expect Carter to come in right away and run this offense, although Meech didn't exactly "run" anything last year. I see Gray dropping down to the PG occasionally and adding more length with Kong or another shooter in Hyland.

westside-zagfan
05-07-2010, 06:17 PM
Yeah I agree with JP on this. Harris is a stud 4 in college and thats what he will be next year. This is college we are trying to win a national title not make sure harris has adequate minutes at the 3 to satisfy the NBA scouts. The rotation looks really good right now as long as Kong makes some improvement. I know Arop is gonna be amazing as a starter. I like the versatility that next years team possesses. Look at these possible rotations we could see next season.
Big Lineup:
1.Meech (debatable for the "big" lineup, but i like meech so he starts for me :D)
2.Gray
3.Harris
4.Olynk or Dower
5.Sacre

Quick Lineup:
1.Meech
2.Carter
3.Gray
4.Arop
5.Harris

I don't want to waste space and list all of the rotations that there could be but it is exciting just thinking about next years squad. I think as long as one more semi decent big gets added we are GOLDEN

john montana
05-07-2010, 06:25 PM
Best of luck to gj. I figured this was a foregone conclusion even prior to the Carter signing. He just never looked like a point guard to me. I hope he fits better wherever he goes.

TLKREM2
05-07-2010, 06:32 PM
I just wanted to pass along the story we posted on KREM.com about G.J. Vilarino leaving the Gonzaga men's basketball team:

http://www.krem.com/sports/Vilarino-latest-to-leave-GU-mens-basketball-team-93169759.html

We talked to G.J.'s dad on the phone tonight. He's the one who told us that his son is leaving the program.

I hope this gives you a better idea of why he's transferring.

Have a great weekend!

Tim Lewis
KREM 2 Sports Director

alldaye
05-07-2010, 07:21 PM
NOOO! GJ had so much potential. He'll be amazing somewhere else mark my words.

MickMick
05-07-2010, 07:26 PM
Best of luck to GJ. He is definately a high major talent. Just wasn't a good fit here.

I like the thought of Hyland seeing a lot of action. He will be an awesome supplement to Bell and Dranginis. Instant scoring punch.

Drew
05-07-2010, 07:33 PM
So, my initial impression is that the starters are set and Few has upgraded the back-up positions. Players will have more definitive roles and you won't have players sitting the bench thinking they should be playing (ie GG and GJ)

1)Meech-Carter
2)Gray-Hyland
3)Arop-Kong
4)Harris-KO
5)Sacre-Dower

Kong called himself a guard at least once this year. I see him in the rotation as a 2. The same goes for Harris as a 3.

BTW, it does feel odd writing about next year's rotation in a thread about GJ's transfer. I wish him the best of luck.

kyle dixon
05-07-2010, 07:46 PM
Best of luck GJ! I wish you all the best in your new endeavor! You will be doing fine!

VinnyZag
05-07-2010, 08:09 PM
I hope Bob's right (and he usually is). At this point they kinda need some players, if for no other reason than to guard against injuries. They're one sprained ankle or tweaked elbow away from having some big issues.

thespywhozaggedme
05-07-2010, 08:14 PM
NOOO! GJ had so much potential. He'll be amazing somewhere else mark my words.

+1

RenoZag
05-07-2010, 08:16 PM
Good luck to him. Very unsettled start to his collegiate days. Hope he finds a great situation that fits his needs and fulfills his ambitions.

ZagNative
05-07-2010, 08:21 PM
Good luck to GJ. I hope he finds a great place to play and realize his full potential.

MDABE80
05-07-2010, 08:22 PM
Blew it on GJ. He'll be a special player at Illinois. He's just got to shoot 600 bals every day. He's got the talent everywhere else. Just needs to convince himself he's a killer shhoter. 600 balls every day will make his path easier. One thing ...he's got the ballhandling, passing and the speed. He'll be fine...if I have my antennae on straight.

gozagswoohoo
05-07-2010, 08:32 PM
Too bad....can't say I'm too surprised though...

Good luck GJ!!

zagnut2012
05-07-2010, 08:35 PM
I was hoping that GJ was going to get his opportunity this year. He has talent and I wish he was staying. Don't blame him though.

Good Luck GJ!

ZagLawGrad
05-07-2010, 08:43 PM
If you have great talent and potential, you usually get the minutes. He'll find a home eventually.

zagking
05-07-2010, 08:50 PM
Bummer. Serious bummer. Just have to respect the decisions of these guys. They just want to play. Best of luck to our ex-zags

hooter73
05-07-2010, 08:50 PM
i cant imagine anybody is surprised by GJ or Grant leaving, more so with the two new comers but even without them... well like I said, shouldnt be surprised.

Depending on Kong, Hyland, and Carter we could really have something here.

coolhandzag
05-07-2010, 08:52 PM
G.J.: As far as I am concerned the same goes for you as for Grant. Once a Zag always a Zag. I wish you the best.

hooter73
05-07-2010, 08:55 PM
I just wanted to pass along the story we posted on KREM.com about G.J. Vilarino leaving the Gonzaga men's basketball team:

http://www.krem.com/sports/Vilarino-latest-to-leave-GU-mens-basketball-team-93169759.html

Tim Lewis
KREM 2 Sports Director

Thanks Tim.

Pretty much supports what I had been hearing all year that his camp thought he deserved to be playing regardless of many ... other factors. He really can play though and in the right system he could be a nice asset. Good luck to him.

AzZag
05-07-2010, 09:19 PM
I think for many of us, it is sad to see him go, but not a complete surprise.
From what I observed, I liked his speed and athleticism, but not necessarily his decision making, especially shot selection. I can see him becoming a poor man's Rajon Rando to a degree.

I also feel that most of us could sense something wasn't exactly fitting right, but we couldn't put a finger on it. My guess is that the system in place didn't fit his playing style. I saw him as a shooting guard trapped in a point guard's body.

For those that follow football, it somewhat reminds me of former Michigan quarterback Ryan Mallett in the Rich Rodriquez system. Talented player, but not the right fit for the system.

Best wishes GJ. And if you pick Illinois, I am not so sure when your coveted P.T. will occur because they are loaded at guard with Paul, Richardson, Jordan, Abrams and Head. Not intended to be a knock at all, just my observations. Prove me wrong.

zombienation
05-07-2010, 09:57 PM
Curious to know if GJ and Gibbs transferred out in part because Few recruited Carter and Keegan, or Few recruited Carter and Keegan because he thought they both my transfer...

I hate to say it, but I'm not surprised both wanted to transfer. They lacked playing time and respect by the coaching staff. Even before signing Hyland and Carter, it was obvious to me that GJ, at the least, would transfer. I could tell in gameplay that he was mad about his circumstances and had chosen to separate himself from the team. Hopefully their careers turn out well.

webspinnre
05-07-2010, 10:11 PM
One thing I've never understood is why players expect playing time when they don't appear to have done anything to earn it. I mean sure, if Manny or Kelly weren't playing at all, that'd be one thing, but both GJ and GG, as much as I liked them as I like all Zags, just hadn't earned their playing time yet. Gonzaga is a place where playing time is earned - I don't mind transferring because you want to play, but the idea that you weren't given a fair shot seems odd to me.

d2zag
05-07-2010, 10:24 PM
But GJ put it all on himself by not redshirting this past year. Would have been soooo much better off. Could have learned the system thoroughly, tighten up the little things, etc. Good luck to him though.

Saxon_zag
05-07-2010, 10:30 PM
One thing I've never understood is why players expect playing time when they don't appear to have done anything to earn it. I mean sure, if Manny or Kelly weren't playing at all, that'd be one thing, but both GJ and GG, as much as I liked them as I like all Zags, just hadn't earned their playing time yet. Gonzaga is a place where playing time is earned - I don't mind transferring because you want to play, but the idea that you weren't given a fair shot seems odd to me.

I don't think GJ was given a fair shot. Maybe he grew frustrated watching the "point guard" in front of him not performing yet logging plenty of minutes still as he watched from the bench..... I don't want to turn this into another one of those threads, but c'mon. The way Meech played I was surprised we didn't see more of GJ

OZZY
05-07-2010, 10:58 PM
Good luck to GJ, wish him all the best.

This may also bode well for adding one other guard in 2011, perhaps even a certain Canadian who would now see be able to a see a spot open up on the roster............

tinfoilzag
05-07-2010, 11:48 PM
It seemed when he got his opportunities, he was not able to score consistently.
This made his game look similar to Meech's and with Meech having a year under his belt in the system, GJ wasn't going to get the minutes.

Timing is everything.

I would of loved to see him reach his potential as a Zag. I think we are feeling some growing pains as a program. It's hard to see higher rates of transfers when we used to get to see most of our players for 3-4 years.

I wish him the best.

seasontixholder
05-08-2010, 01:55 AM
All he had to do is show some sign that he was experienced running a team in the half court. He had good handles, was good on transition, and stayed in front of his man on defense better than just about any other Zag (showing hustle even when it was known that he was unhappy). But he looked like AAU ball personified.

PGs have special recognition and awareness skills that I kept waiting to see, even greenly. But damn, I never saw it; a shame, because the rest of the package is really nice.

jazzdelmar
05-08-2010, 03:32 AM
GJ looked talented only in comparison to having to watch Meech all year. Im not worried abt him being a contributor at any BCS program, tho wish him well...hes a run and gun, high turnover playr. If he were a top 20 plry Few wd have yanked Meech in a heartbeat...............GJ is a lot like Josh Reisman, of unhappy memory

misszigzag
05-08-2010, 05:12 AM
GJ had plenty of 'talent' and hopefully he'll be able to showcase those on his next stop.

Best of luck GJ.

Stache
05-08-2010, 06:12 AM
I don't go to practice, so I couldn't say if there was a chemistry element to things with GJ. I also don't bet much, but I'd bet that GJ is the first guy who leaves GU and we find him playing at a very high level elsewhere and wonder "what if."

BoZarth
05-08-2010, 07:34 AM
It's tough when they leave after their freshman year.

I was looking forward to watching GJ develop.

Anyway, I have no doubt several colleges will recognize his potential and he'll end up being a great asset wherever he lands.

Good Luck GJ!

Go Zags!!!!

SunDevilGolfZag
05-08-2010, 07:36 AM
GJ looked talented only in comparison to having to watch Meech all year. Im not worried abt him being a contributor at any BCS program, tho wish him well...hes a run and gun, high turnover playr. If he were a top 20 plry Few wd have yanked Meech in a heartbeat...............GJ is a lot like Josh Reisman, of unhappy memory

Really reminded me of Reisman too. . . . . . Also, it's kind of a 2-edged sword when players think they are better right now than they really are. It's good to have that confidence, but with a little maturity and patience to go with it. I think GJ will do well in a couple of years.

HillBillyZag
05-08-2010, 08:01 AM
No comment necesssary.From now on I'm letting Few recruit and coach the team.Me ?, I just a fan who loves the Zags!

bigparb
05-08-2010, 08:08 AM

This is the most accurate post on this thread.....jazz sees thru to the heart of the issue again...

that said, I wish GJ all the luck in the world as he moves on....

ZagNative
05-08-2010, 08:13 AM
I thought GJ's dad showed a lot of class in his comments about GJ's departure. I hope the posters here show as much and simply wish him well. From Jim Meehan's blog (http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/sportslink/2010/may/07/vilarino-leaving-gonzaga/):
“It was a difficult time, a difficult year for him,” Gerry said. “Those guys are wonderful guys, (Coach Mark) Few and (assistant coach Tommy) Lloyd, we just had a difference of opinion. That’s how it goes. … He has to be a point guard and they have a lot of kids that play that position. They wanted him to play the ‘2’ more than the ‘1’ (next season) and that’s not ultimately where he needs to play.”

Gerry added, “Gonzaga is a fantastic place, great student body and fans. It couldn’t be any better, but his dream is to play. Everything could be great, but if that part of his life isn’t right, then it’s not the right situation for him.”

BobZag
05-08-2010, 09:18 AM
All the best to young GJ.

Jedster
05-08-2010, 09:37 AM
I wish him the best and hope he finds what he wants. My only concern right now is injury depth. If Meech or Carter get hurt, that could have a big impact, though we could have Manny, Bol, or even SG step in a bit. Hopefully we don't have to resort to that though on an extended basis.

Ezag
05-08-2010, 06:28 PM
I think this may come back to haunt us

MickMick
05-08-2010, 09:55 PM
I thought GJ's dad showed a lot of class in his comments about GJ's departure. I hope the posters here show as much and simply wish him well. From Jim Meehan's blog (http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/sportslink/2010/may/07/vilarino-leaving-gonzaga/):

Spot on ZN. His dad said all the right things. Few is a straight shooter too. You can disagree and still be civil.

ZagAddict
05-08-2010, 10:21 PM
Spot on ZN. His dad said all the right things. Few is a straight shooter too. You can disagree and still be civil.

Good luck to GJ... can't blame the kid for wanting more playing time (or Grant Gibbs). The handwriting was on the wall... 2 guards coming in for the 2010 class... and Dranginis, Bell Jr., and hopefully Pangos in 2011.

I hope this becomes a win-win deal for all parties involved. I really think GU is in a good position next year to transition to a very strong backcourt with the 2011 class. The 2011 class just continues to fall into place... I'm keeping my fingers crossed :)

Zag79
05-09-2010, 12:09 AM
I don't think GJ was given a fair shot. Maybe he grew frustrated watching the "point guard" in front of him not performing yet logging plenty of minutes still as he watched from the bench..... I don't want to turn this into another one of those threads, but c'mon. The way Meech played I was surprised we didn't see more of GJ

:lmao: coach thinks he was, guess thats all that matters. i have already seen posts disputing that GJ was better than meech, so thats moot. but i dont think its even realistic to think GJ was better for this team last year, and more importantly this year. coach knows what works better than any of us. im stoked for new guys, and the new season!

JPtheBeasta
05-09-2010, 12:39 AM
"He has to be a point guard and they have a lot of kids that play that position. They wanted him to play the ‘2’ more than the ‘1’ (next season) and that’s not ultimately where he needs to play"

That's some interesing phrasing by GJ's dad. "Need" is interesting to me because it implies that he has ambitions for further down the road. I can't see him playing in the Association if he can't beat Meech out for minutes at the point (Please, I'm not insulting Meech, I just don't see him playing in the NBA at this point). It's also weird because in this system, once we got into the half-court Matt pretty much ran the point from the shooting guard or small forward position. Who cares where you play as long as you play? GJ would have had a chance to showcase his point guard skills to Europe or wherever if he had stuck around (the not-so-subtle implication here is that maybe he doesn't possess these skills yet, and maybe he needs to go to a smaller program where he can get the in-game experience to develop them).

At the end of the day, you can't blame a kid for wanting to play and contribute more. Warm regards GJ, I hope you find a place where you can do just that.

demian
05-09-2010, 12:46 AM
I Don't understand this notion that GJ saw the writing on the wall with Carter and Hyland coming in and therefore it makes sense why he would want to transfer somewhere else for more playing time. What is wrong as a high level division 1 player to say "screw you Carter and Hyland, those are MY minutes why don't you take a backseat your first year here like I did and since it is open competition I am going to go out and earn my spot." As far as last year goes that guy was decent at times and horrible at times (about what u would expect from a true freshman) and Few buried him, but as we got into post season play Few started to play him more and more, geez what else do you want GJ. Then his dad stating that they felt he deserved more playing time as a freshman, wow what would have happened if John Morrison would have taken the attitude that Ammo deserved more playing time as a freshman than Kyle Bankhead (even though probably deserved) or if Darren Daye would have decided that in Austins freshman year Austin deserved more playing time than Pendo(even though probably deserved). These were two extremely talented freshman and if they and their dads could suck it up and wait their turn then
so could have GJ. Does he realize Morrison came off the bench his entire
freshman year even though it was obvios he was better than Bankhead or
whoever the other wing was.
wings were that year.

Rangerzag
05-09-2010, 06:42 AM
I believe the Zags came to prominence in the late 90's because they played organized, team basketball. The leader, boss and authority is the head coach. These days that obviously is Coach Few. I am a fan of the Zag basketball team and believe Coach Few is the man to be in charge.

For years I have been reading opinions here of how Zag players' careers played out. Most all the opinions are based on and refer to what we as fans see on the court. A certain amount of those opinions are also based on hype established before the players ever set foot on the court as Zags.

I believe a player's career must be influenced by what the coach has told him will be expected of him before he ever signs a letter of intent. I have never seen reliable quotes of those expectations here in all the claims of how careers develop. I have not seen reliable reports here of what a player agrees to before he comes to Gonzaga. How he fulfills what he agrees to do has to make a difference in how he is evaluated by Coach Few and the resulting amount of 'in game' playing time.

Once a player comes on campus and participates in the basketball program how he responds to the expectations and directions of the coaching staff has to have an effect on how he is rewarded with playing time. This gets back to the team concept with one leader, namely Head Coach Few. A collection of numbers at the bottom of a stat sheet do not report how the player actually went about living up to what the coach instructed him to do once in a game. This can be a question of how much effort the player expended on following what was asked of him or how successful he was if he expended all possible effort to accomplish the goal expected of him to maximize the team effort. These efforts can be involved with game time activities or those involved with preparation either in organized practices or time spent in the weight room, individually working on shooting proficiency or who knows what other intangibles. Again this is an extremely large area of information all behind the scenes and to the best of my recollection seldom if ever reliably reported by those who report so authoritatively here about how a player's career played out compared to what should have taken place or what would have been fair. I don't know these details and seldom if ever see reliable reports of them.

All these details are information I would require to form a reliable opinion of what a player deserved while a Zag. Since I don't have this info, I am content to rely on Coach Few as my proxy.

I am with ZagAddict hoping this works out to be a win-win deal for all involved. Truly best wishes to Grant and GJ. May they be well and happy and excel in their new adventures!

It is time to temper Zag expectations for incoming players with the reminder of all the times new players have arrived and needed time to absorb the Zag offense that is continually reported to be complex and nuanced. Hopefully the new guys have lots of time on campus this summer.

Summer Semester 2010
Session I Begins: Monday, May 17
Session II Begins: Monday, June 28

Rim Rockah
05-09-2010, 06:50 AM
I could care less about Gibbs but losing GJ sucks. The kid was a special talent. Few screwed this one up. I thought he should have gotten way more pt last year than he did. Good thing is Few keeps recruiting guards. We are top heavy at guard and need some bigs asap.

zag67
05-09-2010, 07:03 AM
I do not think that we can judge about who "should" be getting more minutes. We do not go to the practices and understand what happens at that level. We do not know if a player had trouble understanding the plays. We do not know if a player had trouble playing "team" ball. We do not know if a player had trouble defending our own players in practice. Playing time is earned at practice and coaches make decisions (right or wrong) by a player's attitude, hustle, and performance in practices. I wish both grant and GJ the best, just the same way that we did for Poling. I hope that they find the right places to make them happy and understand that this is a great time of their lives.

john montana
05-09-2010, 08:12 AM
I don't get the love affair with gj. From the minutes I saw him play he looked like a gunner that couldn't shoot, wouldn't pass, and pretty much played out of control. Granted, he is young and I hope he improves and finds his groove somewhere. It seemed pretty clear to me why he was buried on the bench last year though.

hooter73
05-09-2010, 09:50 AM
I Don't understand this notion that GJ saw the writing on the wall with Carter and Hyland coming in and therefore it makes sense why he would want to transfer somewhere else for more playing time. What is wrong as a high level division 1 player to say "screw you Carter and Hyland, those are MY minutes why don't you take a backseat your first year here like I did and since it is open competition I am going to go out and earn my spot."

What everyone is trying not to say is that he and his father feel that he was entitled to more minutes. He did not earn them with hard work in practice or with a good attitude.

...From the minutes I saw him play he looked like a gunner that couldn't shoot, wouldn't pass, and pretty much played out of control. Granted, he is young and I hope he improves and finds his groove somewhere. It seemed pretty clear to me why he was buried on the bench last year though.

I think he probably can shoot well enough but for the most part that is pretty much right on being the rest of the story in regards to this post.

Kid could be good at some point in the right system, jsut didnt seem to fit here. Best of luck oh and to the guy with 12 posts that "couldnt care less about Gibbs" :mad:

BobZag
05-09-2010, 10:06 AM
Meh. This thread is going way sideways.