PDA

View Full Version : Why the Staff added Carter and Hyland...

BobZag
05-05-2010, 09:59 AM
...and the door opens for some elite 2011'ers.

pbriz
05-05-2010, 10:32 AM

I know many on this board will not agree with me but if Gonzaga wants to rise to the top it must deal with transfers. A spot on this team and playing time are earned and just like academically, if you can't cut it than you won't succeed. I really believe Mark Few doesn't guarantee playing time or anything to this sort so players must earn their time and they know this coming in. The best players should be recruited and the best players should play. This is just my opinion from a fan who wishes Gonzaga will keep rising to the top.

stevet75
05-05-2010, 10:33 AM
Sounds like a transfer to me. Is that correct? More than one?

CDC84
05-05-2010, 10:44 AM
I know many on this board will not agree with me but if Gonzaga wants to rise to the top it must deal with transfers.

Every D-1 program deals with them, whether you're BCS or non-BCS, a winning program or a non-winning program, an elite private school with high academic standards or a state university, etc. It's a fact of life everywhere. Basketball players want playing time. If you don't believe me, check out this list of kids who announced they were transferring at the end of the 2009/10 college basketball season. You have kids transferring from Ivy League schools and the whole works:

http://community.foxsports.com/goodmanonfox/blog/2010/04/28/updates_to_transfer_list;_coaching_carousel,_early _entry_links

Brown, Providence, Youngstown, Central Florida, Missouri, Montana State, Washington, James Madison, Maryland, Cal Poly, Santa Clara, Texas A&M, Citadel.....all have transfers

P.S. = my comments are not insinuating in anyway that current GU players will be transferring soon. It's just a refutation of this wrong idea that basketball transfers are directly and solely tied to: 1) programs that are willing to "sell their soul" to win; 2) programs that get new coaches; 3) programs that are on the bad side of the law with the NCAA.

webspinnre
05-05-2010, 10:47 AM
Some kids want playing time, some want to win, some want the education... There are all sorts of factors in these decisions, and I can't really fault any of them.

cjm720
05-05-2010, 11:33 AM

Any idea how many will open up?

gonwick
05-05-2010, 11:35 AM
When will we know who it is, BZ? Grant has a cryptic twitter about creating your own path, but that may just have been something he read and liked.

Pure
05-05-2010, 11:36 AM
The Ambiguity of this post Sucks : Big Tease ..:D ...

It appears someone is leaving . Bummer as I feel vested in all these kids…. Best of luck to whomever it is….

omahazag
05-05-2010, 11:37 AM
Received an email from a friend that is in the Creighton "know" ala BZ stating that Gibbs is looking at Creighton. If that is the case, which i don't know, i'd love to watch him play at Creighton - they could sure use him.

The link below is fromthe Creighton message board.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/creighton/basketball/recruiting/player-Grant-Gibbs-53012

I believe Creighton's new coach, McDermott, recruited Gibbs while he was still at Iowa State. Should bold well for Creighton.

CaZagAlum
05-05-2010, 11:44 AM
http://www.hawkeyenation.com/basketball/grant-gibbs-seeks-release-from-gonzaga

ZagKing09
05-05-2010, 11:52 AM
I would be sad to see him go, he seemed to really enjoy being a part of this team and this campus. Not to mention he has a lot of potential and talent. Though, I think it could be beneficial for him because he would be getting a good amount more playing time at a place like Creighton. But I think the fact that he is looking at Creighton is a sign that he liked something about GU because he didn't really look at Creighton or any similar schools before (at least according to his rivals page...)

If he does leave, he will do well where ever he lands and I wish him the best of luck!

BobZag
05-05-2010, 11:52 AM
Creighton just lost Andrew Bock to transfer, so Grant would fill a need there, I'd think. Makes sense. Going the way Poling did, to D2, may be the best option, he'd get three years to play instead of two, and no sitting out a year.

ZagNative
05-05-2010, 11:54 AM
BlueJayCafe.com (http://creighton.rivals.com/default.asp):

Gibbs to Creighton?

by Matt Perrault

According a source, Linn Mar high school (IA) product Grant Gibbs has just been released from his scholarship at Gonzaga. We've learned that Creighton is interested in the talented guard.

Jedster
05-05-2010, 12:24 PM
Just posted on the SSF website too, but is a link to the Hawkeye Nation link.

http://www.slipperstillfits.com/

Hmmm...clears up a bit of the log-jam at guard, but I was excited to see GG play a bit more. He had a great knack for passing and court vision.

whatazag
05-05-2010, 12:32 PM
If Grant is gone, that is a bummer, I enjoyed his game. Understandable though since he was probably not looking at a ton of playing time. I would have guessed GJ would leave over Gibbs, though, just because he still has his redshirt year to sit out and save eligibility.

former1dog
05-05-2010, 12:40 PM
Best of luck to him, but I laugh at the emotional investment people put into these players they don't really know. Got to love fanaticism. The program keeps moving forward to a brighter tomorrow.

:confused:

I'm really puzzled as to why you would "laugh" at something that is incredibly common amongst sports fans, especially fans of collegiate sports. I think if you were to survey most honest to goodness sports fans, you would find that a large majority have an "emotional investment" in not only their team but the individual players as well. I think you'd find that the outliers would be those who don't get tied in emotionally. Its one of the major things that makes sports and being a fan of sports so enjoyable and universal.

I don't mean to be confrontational, but your sentiment strikes me as odd.

MDABE80
05-05-2010, 12:42 PM
Best of luck to him, but I laugh at the emotional investment people put into these players they don't really know. Got to love fanaticism. The program keeps moving forward to a brighter tomorrow.

I don't know how anyone or everyone feels on this board. I can only speak for myself..I feel a very strong kinship with each kid we bring. For some reason, when they hurt, I hurt. For some reason, when a kid succeeds, I rejoice.

I canot feel sterile about our kids...each and every one of them. I do NOT think it's "fanaticism" to care care quite bit or even deeply about our student-athletes. I meet them when I can and get to know them, their families and circumstances. I love each story. If you "laugh at the emotional investment", you're being a bit insensitive. Invest in our kids...sometimes it's the biggest reward.

former1dog
05-05-2010, 12:45 PM
Abe,

As I already mentioned, I agree with you. I think it is very natural to like the athletes on your team and is one of the things that is great about sports.

northsidezagfan
05-05-2010, 12:50 PM
Best of luck Grant wherever you end up I know you will be missed around here. Ill still follow you on Twitter no matter what.

MDABE80
05-05-2010, 01:00 PM
Gibbs will be a very good fit for Creighton. He's a bit short on talent (speed) but he's about the only AllStater we've had who chose us no 1 and stuck with it. I wish there were minutes for a kid like Grant. Notwithstanding Mal
's comments, I will miss this kid. I had high hopes for this kid. Very grounded and trained in fundamentals. Iowa basketball at the prep level is tops!

coolhandzag
05-05-2010, 01:02 PM
Once a Zag always a Zag. Best of luck Grant.

MDABE80
05-05-2010, 01:03 PM
Mal..don't even try. Your attitude was made clear by your own words. Bu**chit comments. Most people are dugg in for our kids. It's one of the things that makes Gonzaga what it is. Usually this "dude" abides...not this trip. Good luck.

cjm720
05-05-2010, 01:10 PM
Grant, you showed tons of promise, best of luck wherever you land.

CDC84
05-05-2010, 01:28 PM
If you're "emotionally invested" in a player, you should want what is best for him. Grant wants to go to a school where he can get more PT. Grant is a good kid, and he's a good enough player that many D-1 schools would go out of their way to give it to him because he would be one of the more talented players on their roster from day one. I wish him nothing but the best.

maynard g krebs
05-05-2010, 01:31 PM
Creighton just lost Andrew Bock to transfer, so Grant would fill a need there, I'd think. Makes sense. Going the way Poling did, to D2, may be the best option, he'd get three years to play instead of two, and no sitting out a year.

Is it an option for a kid in Grant's situation to play JC for a year and still have his 2 years of D1 eligibility? If memory serves, Villipigue(sp?) did that before going to UNLV.

Anyone know?

americasteam
05-05-2010, 01:40 PM
I know of a player who had been at Idaho State for a redshirt year and then as a redshirt freshman and when the coach moved to Univ of Idaho, the player went for a year at NIC before moving to the Universiy of Idaho for 2 more years. Otherwise, would have lost a year of eligibility because the redshirt year had already been used, and got tons of playing time in that year at the jc level. So, sounds like a possibility.

UberZagFan
05-05-2010, 01:49 PM
GG will have to sit a year and will have 2 years left of eligibility because that 2nd year will be his 5th year.

Angelo Roncalli
05-05-2010, 01:50 PM
Grant has used a redshirt and played one season. He's got 3 years left on the clock under the 4 in 5 rule. A transfer to a D-1 school will require a year off, leaving him with 2 years of D-1 eligibility. Theoretically, he could transfer to a JC and play next year, then move onto a D-1 school for the remaining 2 years, but it's hardly ever done that way. Most believe it better to move on to the next D-1 school, take care of academics, practice with their teammates and be coached by the guys who'll be coaching them their final two years.

americasteam
05-05-2010, 01:55 PM
I agree, probably best to be with your future team in most situations, even though he's losing a year of eligibility and a year of competive game play. In the situation I mentioned above, the future coach had suggested the year at NIC to get tons of playing time before coming in and starting for the U of I.

007Zag
05-05-2010, 01:55 PM
All the best, Grant. I will continue to follow your exploits even when you're playing for a different squad.

GonzagasaurusFlex
05-05-2010, 01:56 PM
hawkeyenation.com reporting Grant planning to leave Gonzaga:
www.hawkeyenation.com/basketball/grant-gibbs-seeks-release-from-gonzaga

Former Linn-Mar star guard Grant Gibbs will be seeking his release from Gonzaga, a person with close connections to the situation told Hawkeyenation.com on Wednesday.

Gibbs may be looking at returning to play closer to home; Iowa, Iowa State, Creighton and UNI are reportedly some of the schools he may look into. Greg McDermott recruited Gibbs two years ago while he was head coach at Iowa State, and the Cyclones were one of the finalists for Gibbs. McDermott is now at Creighton.

dim4sum
05-05-2010, 01:59 PM
many of us, including myself, could see this coming. There is just too much talent in the pipeline that is better, faster and defends better.

Pure
05-05-2010, 02:22 PM
If you're "emotionally invested" in a player, you should want what is best for him. Grant wants to go to a school where he can get more PT. .

While I said I was "vested" Do not over estimate that investment. To be a Fan without emotional attachment (while tempered) , Is to not be a fan at all. IMHO (for Mal)

I think this will be a good move for Grant. And I will root for him at Creighton should that be where he ends up. Players want to play and there are only so many minutes.

Good Luck GG

dim4sum
05-05-2010, 02:24 PM
Mike Hart deserves playing time somewhere, but he might not get much with the Zags. He might consider going. David Stockton, methinks, will tough it out and by his junior year could surprises some people, but only as a backup.

americasteam
05-05-2010, 02:49 PM
As somebody said earlier, there are many reasons for transfering. There are also many reasons student athletes choose the school they do.

My feeling is that the 2 walk ons, Hart and Stockton, have such a high regard for Gonzaga (both the team and the institution) that they didn't choose Gonzaga for playing time. Thus, I expect them to stay. Some like GG are more likely to transfer because it may be more about basketball playing time than the pride of wanting to go to/play for Gonzaga, especially if they don't expect much playing time.

webspinnre
05-05-2010, 03:13 PM
Best wishes to Grant for his future/ Its always a bit sad to see a Zag leave, but charity lies in wishing the best for the other (thank you Fr. Spitzer).

gozagswoohoo
05-05-2010, 03:13 PM
I had the pleasure of getting a pic with Grant and speaking with him for a few minutes in Illinois. Super nice guy...I wish him the best!

hockeyzag
05-05-2010, 03:16 PM
Transferring is a part of college sports, I didn't see a lot of playing time in his future either, it's just sad when a player like Grant who wanted so bad to come to Gonzaga doesn't realize his dream of having a meaningful career at his favorite college basketball school.

cjm720
05-05-2010, 03:30 PM
Transferring is a part of college sports, I didn't see a lot of playing time in his future either, it's just sad when a player like Grant who wanted so bad to come to Gonzaga doesn't realize his dream of having a meaningful career at his favorite college basketball school.

Well said.

john montana
05-05-2010, 04:36 PM
Bummer...I liked watching him play...great vision.

Best of luck Grant!

MickMick
05-05-2010, 05:16 PM
Once a Zag always a Zag. Best of luck Grant.

Best post in this thread....+1

JPtheBeasta
05-05-2010, 05:21 PM
The writing was definitely on the wall for Grant, in my opinion. I wish him all the best. I don't feel too bad for him, though- how many kids going into college would love the opportunity to practice and travel (let alone play!) with a highly ranked college team, go to the NCAA tournamant, have the spotlight in the Kennel in front of awesome fans, have semi-celebrity around town and on campus, and be seen on national TV on a regular basis?...All the while getting his schooling paid for. Sounds like a pretty cool gig, to me.

This has to be a big disappointment for him, but we learn much more from failure (for lack of a better word) than we do from our successes. Nothing in life is guaranteed and we all need the experience of trying for a goal, regardless of the outcome. The journey is often more important than the destination, when all is said and done.

Martin Centre Mad Man
05-05-2010, 05:50 PM
Creighton might be a very good fit for him if he liked the educational environment and the basketball program at Gonzaga. They are both small, private, Catholic schools. The students and alumni are crazy about hoops because it is pretty much the only game on campus. The program competes well regionally and nationally and graduates most of its players. If he can find playing time in that environment, more power to him.

I wish him the best of luck at any school he chooses.

zombienation
05-05-2010, 06:26 PM
It's official. Grant Gibbs no longer wishes to be a Zag. I received this in an email from Oliver Pierce of GU Sports

[GU_SPORTS] Gibbs Given Release From Men's Basketball Program
SPOKANE, Wash. – Gonzaga University redshirt freshman guard Grant Gibbs has requested and been granted his release, head men’s basketball coach Mark Few confirmed Wednesday.
Gibbs, who came to the Bulldogs from Linn-Mar High in Marion, Iowa, appeared in 24 games with one start this past season, averaging 9.3 minutes/game, 2.2 ppg, 1.9 rpg and 0.9 assists/game. He scored a season-high 8 points against Augustana College, Loyola Marymount University and at the University of San Francisco. His lone start was against Davidson College in The Battle in Seattle when starting guard Matt Bouldin was sidelined with a concussion.
He redshirted the 2008-09 season as a true freshman.
“Grant has decided to pursue other options and we wish him well in his future endeavors,” Few said.

Oliver Pierce, SID
Gonzaga University
509 E Boone
Spokane, WA 99258

Zag365
05-05-2010, 07:18 PM
Once a Zag always a Zag. Best of luck Grant. This sums it up. Many of us will continue to follow GG's basketball career because we consider him an alum even though he didn't finish at GU. We all have classmates, some who were athletes, but many not, that fall into the same category and didn't graduate with us; but we (and I used to think surprisingly they, but it happens a lot) still maintain connections because we are Zags. It's what makes the place so special. It is that familial relationship. Athletes like Grant especially remain part of the family forever because they chose GU over other options and so visibly and admirably represented us to the rest of the country while they were here.

Reborn
05-05-2010, 07:28 PM
A very sound decision by Grant. He'll play wherever he goes now. I'd like to wish him only the very best. I believe there will be one more Zag who follows in his footsteps before Fall semester starts.

siliconzag
05-06-2010, 07:26 AM
Let me say, and I bet Abe agrees, that Creighton is a fine place to land. Gonzaga may have been our first love, but not our only love.

As an aside, I never understood why GG (as a high school senior) didn't include Creighton in his original mix of schools. What was up with that? It was an obvious consideration from an objective standpoint. Instead he looked at Iowa State. Not exactly a storied program. For GG at least, the exalted Dana Altman did not lure him into the Bluejay den. Perhaps things are not so bad on 30th and California after all. Perhaps Rasmussen knew what he was doing when he hired McDermott. One can hope.

The good thing for Grant is that he will be playing in front of 18,000 Bluejay fans, who are hungry for a return to glory days. And for Bluejay fans, that means making the dance, which is an excuse to party, which is what they do in Omaha better than any place I've ever been. Anyplace.

Sili

LynetteG
05-06-2010, 07:49 AM
which is an excuse to party, which is what they do in Omaha better than any place I've ever been. Anyplace.

Sili

Good to hear this as I venture over to Omaha for the first time ever a week from today for my sister's commencement from CU pharmacy school!

omahazag
05-06-2010, 08:00 AM
Good to hear this as I venture over to Omaha for the first time ever a week from today for my sister's commencement from CU pharmacy school!

Lynette...have fun in Omaha. I'm sure your sister will show u a good time, but if she's busy, venture into the old market and midtown. If you get a chance, head to Barrett's Barleycorn , great place to eat and drink - my favorite.

Anyway, hope Grant parted on good terms and wish him best of luck. Creighton has been good to me and my family, sure Grant will find it to be the same if he chooses to attend.

LynetteG
05-06-2010, 08:13 AM
Lynette...have fun in Omaha. I'm sure your sister will show u a good time, but if she's busy, venture into the old market and midtown. If you get a chance, head to Barrett's Barleycorn , great place to eat and drink - my favorite.

She was a distance learning student and only had to go there during the summers, so she knows some of it, but not all (does not know where BsB is). We are eating at Vivace, which she says is in Old Market. Another night we're eating at PF Chang's, I know, chain restaurant, and then Drury steakhouse, which she's been to and liked. Any can't miss sights for us to see?? Hooding is Friday night and commencement is Sat. I come back early AM Sun.

siliconzag
05-06-2010, 08:42 AM
Omaha has the best. And not only that, excellent drinking establishments. Near the Creighton campus there is the Bluejay. Friendliest bar in the world. The last time there I bought the bar tender a drink (Joey), and the next night I showed up with all my med school buddies and drinks were on the house for all of us (a dozen or so) the rest of the night. Reminded me of the olden days. Frittering away my youth.

Johnny's Steakhouse is an Institution. It is in South Omaha. The best restaurants are definitely in old town. Out west there are some suburban places that are also nice, but without the character you find in the core area.

These threads about Creighton have me giving some serious consideration to changing my travel plans for the fall.

Sili

LynetteG
05-06-2010, 09:17 AM
Thanks Sili! I might have the steakhouse name wrong, not sure. I did find that the Oracle eats at Gorat's....