• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zagquette
    Kennel Club Material
    • Feb 2007

ESPN: Gonzaga considered 12 best program

ESPN's Top Ten of the last Ten Years

In the first part of a weeklong look at the last decade in college basketball, ESPN.com anoints its top 10 programs from the past 10 years.

We are not in the top ten, but we did get a vote.

Personally, I am surprised. Zona was the only other west coast school on the list.

I guess those late games are Monday nights are worth something.

Peace
    No sense in playing an in-state rival if you have to eat lopsided defeats. It's just like the great Athenian orator and statesman Demosthenes once said -- and I'm paraphrasing -- it's better to be called a chicken and not lose to Gonzaga than to be called brave and get blasted.

- Parrish, CBS Sportsline 12/11/2006
  • brasszag
    Professional Zag Fan
    • Feb 2007

I was surprised to see Syracuse and no votes for UCLA - while UCLA had some rough years in the last decade - coming on strong to two consecutive final fours is not inconsiderable.
    There's no such thing as "garbage time" - there's only the time to crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women.

That is what is best about being a Zag.

Comment

• pbriz
      Professional Zag Fan
      • Apr 2007

not too shabby to get mentioned with the likes of those BCS powerhouses. Surprised it was Glockner and not Katz who gave us the vote tho.
      It's F4 or bust.

Comment

• BobZag
        Dark Lord of the Zag
        • Jan 2007

Gonzaga is the ONLY non-BCS school voted for.

Some of those programs don't make the dance some years (UConn, UNC...) but when they do, look out.

The Zags need a deep, deep run (or two) in the next 3-4 years to steal away a top-10 spot on that list. It's very doable, too.
        The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Comment

• skan72
          Professional Zag Fan
          • Apr 2007

I'm terribly sorry, but I'm a Zag fan from Canada *gasp* ( lol jk) and I was wondering what BCS stands for?

Comment

• BobZag
            Dark Lord of the Zag
            • Jan 2007

Aren't we technically tied for 11th with Texas?

BCS = Bowl Conference Series. It's a football thing. Only the power conferences are eligible unless you have a great year like Boise State or Utah have had.
            The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Comment

• lothar98zag
              PostPadder General
              • Feb 2007

BCS = bowl championship series (football)

short hand for basketball teams that are in the 6 conferences that make up the BCS:

ACC
              Big East
              Big 10
              Big XII
              PAC-10
              SEC
              youtube - "The Runner"

Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2013

Dumbing down the internet, one post at a time

Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2011

Comment

• Air Force Zag
                Kennel Club Material
                • Feb 2007

Good company to be in

Hard to complain about being 12th (or 11th). Our Zags are the only team on that list that has never been to a Final Four, let alone a National Championship, in its history.

Comment

Now maybe some people can understand why I once called Gonzaga an Elite program, but got hammered to death for doing so by certain closed minded bloggers....I am most happy to see others think the same way that I do. I for one think it's quite strange that people outside Gonzaga think more highly of our basketball program then people who are GU fans do...I'm not sure what to make of that. Sometimes I wonder how knowledgeable GU bloggers are.

Comment

• DrDrivel
                    Kennel Club Material
                    • Feb 2007

And sometimes I wonder when message boards came to be known as blogs and their contributors called bloggers.

Wondering ain't a sin...

Comment

• lothar98zag
                      PostPadder General
                      • Feb 2007

Don't forget to vote for the best program of the past 10 years:

Visit ESPN for live scores, highlights and sports news. Stream exclusive games on ESPN+ and play fantasy sports.

(GU's currently not in last place)

Also, you can vote for the best team (single season) of the past 10 years here:

Visit ESPN for live scores, highlights and sports news. Stream exclusive games on ESPN+ and play fantasy sports.

Anything that kills time until next season, right?
                      youtube - "The Runner"

Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2013

Dumbing down the internet, one post at a time

Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2011

Comment

Working...
                      X