PDA

View Full Version : Donny Daniels

RockandRollJames
05-03-2010, 08:55 PM
Us getting him was huge for so many reasons. Now I'm not going to say I'm glad Rice left, thus allowing us to get Daniels, but don't you guys get the feeling we are better off now? I suppose time will tell because he hasn't been here very long and I don't really know what part he played in our recent recruiting actions. And actual coaching wise I have no idea. But I'm liking our staff more right now. Call me crazy and that this post is a little premature, but I said it.

Jedster
05-04-2010, 06:20 AM
I think the main benefit that Donny brings (whether it played a factor in our current recruits or not), is the new network of recruiting connections that he brings. Plus, as has been reported, he does a great job with bigs, so that will be a huge plus also. Leon was great and will do a wonderful job in Boise, but it is huge for GU to send out an asst. coach to a student's home who has coached in a number of final 4's and has been associated with high quality basketball for a number of years. His "get" , in terms of hiring an asst. coach, was the equivalent of signing a 4 or 5 star recruit in my opinion.

Bouldin4Prez
05-04-2010, 06:37 AM
The best thing about this "4 or 5 star recruit" is that hopefully he comes back year after year and is not a one and done deal. :)

Ekrub
05-04-2010, 07:30 AM
I think that it says a lot about the program that Daniels left UCLA(the premier west coast team since before I can remember) to come to Gonzaga.

dim4sum
05-04-2010, 05:20 PM
If, as mentioned, Daniels is great with bigs, he has a big role ahead of him in g etting Kelly to play to his full potential. As the season wound down, he seemed to be getting more and more tentative. His confidence seemed to be slippping for some reason. Maybe Daniels can reinvigorate his game and bring out the Nowitzki-like potential in him.

zombienation
05-04-2010, 09:38 PM
I think the main benefit that Donny brings (whether it played a factor in our current recruits or not), is the new network of recruiting connections that he brings. Plus, as has been reported, he does a great job with bigs, so that will be a huge plus also. Leon was great and will do a wonderful job in Boise, but it is huge for GU to send out an asst. coach to a student's home who has coached in a number of final 4's and has been associated with high quality basketball for a number of years. His "get" , in terms of hiring an asst. coach, was the equivalent of signing a 4 or 5 star recruit in my opinion.

I agree, but believe this is bigger than a 5 star player signing. Daniels recruited so well for UCLA (Love, Ariza, Afflalo, Farmar, Westbrook, Holiday, and Collison, to name a few) and has been a coach in the NCAA for 20 years. That adds a lot of value to our program. Our recruiting was great already, but I think the addition of Donny Daniels did contribute in some way to Gary Bell Jr's verbal.