PDA

View Full Version : All Opponent Team ??

bartruff1
05-01-2010, 06:06 AM
In the Decade of Excellence has anyone ever identified a All Opponent Team selected on the basis of their games against Gonzaga with consideration for their college career ? Given the Play Anyone Anywhere schedule and the number of NCAA Tourney Games the Zags have played , they have played against some of the very very best college players...eg...Curry..Stuckey... etc... It would be nearly impossible to pick the best 5 ???..

demian
05-01-2010, 06:39 AM
My Starting 5

seth curry (davidson)
richard hamilton (UConn)
Jason Richardson (MSU)
Dwayne Wade (Marquette)
Derrick Rose (Memphis)

roxdoc
05-01-2010, 06:51 AM
If you are going back aways don't forget Nash

demian
05-01-2010, 06:51 AM
Darren Williams (Illinois)
Kevi Durant (Texas)
Brandon Roy (UW)
Tyler Hansborough (UNC)
Blake Griffin (Oklahoma)
Kyle Singler (Duke)

bartruff1
05-01-2010, 07:21 AM
Wade...Rose...Curry....Roy....Durant.....so many...

Pleasant Peninsula
05-01-2010, 09:45 AM
Is it the best players that Gonzaga played against (Durant would qualify for certain) , or the players who played the best when they played Gonzaga (Durant had a pretty pedestrian game against us, IIRC)....

Off the top of my head (with a huge bias towards March games)...

G: Steph Curry (Davidson)
G: Wayne Ellington (North Carolina)
F: Kirk Snyder (Nevada)
F: Brian Cardinal (Purdue)
C: Omar Samhan (Saint Mary's)

northsidezagfan
05-01-2010, 11:08 AM
or the players who played the best when they played Gonzaga

Sean Singletary from Virginia

demian
05-01-2010, 11:52 AM
yeah Kirk Snyder tore us up in that Tourney game
Is it the best players that Gonzaga played against (Durant would qualify for certain) , or the players who played the best when they played Gonzaga (Durant had a pretty pedestrian game against us, IIRC)....

Off the top of my head (with a huge bias towards March games)...

G: Steph Curry (Davidson)
G: Wayne Ellington (North Carolina)
F: Kirk Snyder (Nevada)
F: Brian Cardinal (Purdue)
C: Omar Samhan (Saint Mary's)

bartruff1
05-01-2010, 02:04 PM
Sean Singletary from Virginia You bet...I actually had forgotten him....he was teriffic... I don't think I can put Samham up there....but....he has the numbers...someone (Nate from Idaho ?) should ask Few this question, that would be interesting....

laszagas
05-01-2010, 02:38 PM
I believe Gary Payton made a visit the the Kennel... and wasn't very nice to Gonzaga. But that was a few years back...

SunDevilGolfZag
05-01-2010, 02:56 PM
O.T. Other pre-Decade performances include Doug Christie, Steve Nash, and Orlando Lightfoot. The Lightfoot performance was unconscious.

Angelo Roncalli
05-01-2010, 03:16 PM
Darren Williams (Illinois)
Kevi Durant (Texas)
Brandon Roy (UW)
Tyler Hansborough (UNC)
Blake Griffin (Oklahoma)
Kyle Singler (Duke)

No way on Brandon Roy. He only played 2 games against GU. In his sophomore year ('03) he scored 12 pts. In his senior year ('05) he only scored 10 (though UW won the game).

flutieflakes
05-01-2010, 03:42 PM
Two words: Jameer Nelson! (34 pts including the game-winner IN THE KENNEL).

Puddy
05-01-2010, 03:48 PM
JAmeer Nelson and Delonte West.

duper
05-01-2010, 03:57 PM
Go old school!
Hank Gathers, Bo Kimble, and Jeff Fryer (sp)

flutieflakes
05-01-2010, 04:09 PM
A few more for ya:

Ra'oof Sadat: 18 & 6 in the worst day of my Zag fanhood (http://statsheet.com/mcb/games/1998/03/03/san-francisco-80-gonzaga-67).

Jason Gardner: Although it's easy to look good when you're playing with Channing Frye, Andre Iguodola, Gilbert Arenas, Hassan Adams and Luke Walton, amongst others.

Brandon Armstrong: Torched the Zags twice in 99-2000 (I believe), although Zags won both games.

MickMick
05-01-2010, 07:12 PM
I wanna put Dan Kickert in there somewhere. He wasn't just a great player for SMC......or the WCC.

He was just a great player period. A Zag killer. The WCC player that I feared the most in the last decade.

One of the original great Aussies for SMC and perhaps the reason the pipeline is so rock solid now.

A Gael legend.

Das Zagger
05-01-2010, 07:35 PM
Orlando Lightfoot. GU won the game (it was at GU, his senior (I think) season) but he put up 50 on the Zags.

gamagin
05-01-2010, 08:01 PM
http://www.seattlepi.com/basketball/351092_baylor13.html

MDABE80
05-01-2010, 08:21 PM
There are two ways of looking at this....who aqre the best 5 that achieved stardom in the NBA....or...who played us toughest and was a big pain the a** everytime we played him..Thus.. In Angelo's example of Brandon not being on the list...Brandon Roy would be easily a top five (beyond dispute) in the first approach but not worth mentioning in the second approach (Thus Angelo would NOT think he's all that when he played us...and the pope would be right...he didn't do much). Which is it gonna be? 1 st or 2nd approach. I have a list for each.

Just for clarity...

Angelo Roncalli
05-01-2010, 09:02 PM
Going really old school...

Michael Ray Richardson

Terry Cummings

Two of the best opponent performances I saw in the old kennel.

demian
05-01-2010, 09:17 PM
There are two ways of looking at this....who aqre the best 5 that achieved stardom in the NBA....or...who played us toughest and was a big pain the a** everytime we played him..Thus.. In Angelo's example of Brandon not being on the list...Brandon Roy would be easily a top five (beyond dispute) in the first approach but not worth mentioning in the second approach (Thus Angelo would NOT think he's all that when he played us...and the pope would be right...he didn't do much). Which is it gonna be? 1 st or 2nd approach. I have a list for each.

Just for clarity...

Just for clarity. The reason I put Brandon Roy on my list was because the person who started this thread said the criteria was how the person played against the Zags and also with consideration to the college career. So I chose to base my list on the players overall college career. If I was to pick based on single game performance, I would have to consider choosing Keion Bell of Pepperdine this last season. I was at the Kennel for the game when he scored 37 points on the Zags and he had 34 of those points in the second half. The dunk he had over two Zags (with a BS technical called on him) and the overall degree of difficulty of the shots he was hitting was jaw dropping. Maurice Ager had a huge game against us in Maui when Morrison had 43 in that 3OT classic. Think he had 37 points with some huge 3 pointers.

surfmonkey89
05-01-2010, 09:24 PM
I believe Gary Payton made a visit the the Kennel... and wasn't very nice to Gonzaga. But that was a few years back...

I was there; it was ugly. Only time I ever saw Jim McPhee mad - so mad that he dunked I might add :)

surfmonkey89
05-01-2010, 09:26 PM
Any list that doesn't include Richard Hamilton isn't a list worth making.

bartruff1
05-02-2010, 03:53 AM
Any list that doesn't include Richard Hamilton isn't a list worth making. As I recall, the game against UCon was very close and Hamilton went for 21 and eventually won the MVP for the Tourney...

Martin Centre Mad Man
05-02-2010, 04:31 AM
Udonis Haslem had a great game against the Zags when the Zags went down to Florida for a rematch of the 1999 Sweet 16 game. He went for about 30-15 against Casey Calvary.

I'd still take the Calvary's performance against Florida during the earlier meeting between those players.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdXeWvucvH8

Hall of Fame - Steve Nash. His game in the Kennel in 1995 is still the best individual performance I have seen by a Zag opponent. He went one on five for forty minutes, scoring at will from everywhere on the court with no help from his team. The Kennel has never been that loud or that hostile, before or since, and he never lost the smile on his face as he nailed dagger after dagger in that win.

Bogozags
05-02-2010, 05:54 AM
http://www.seattlepi.com/basketball/351092_baylor13.html

This was a GREART article...Thanks for digging it up!

Baylor, in my opinion is one of the top five players to have every played the game. He may not have won any championships but as a player and the things he could do with a basketball in his hands...well he was incredible.

If memory serves, he was in the US Army his first year and traveled on weekends to meet and play with the Lakers - they didn't have jets like they do today and he was a dominant player. In his last year as a Pro, he played with Wilt and Jerry and quit before a fourth of the season was completed due to his knees...He is one of the few players of the past, that could could compete and dominate in todays game...IMO.

bartruff1
05-02-2010, 06:28 AM
Simply the best...the first All American I had ever seen and believe me he was magic...with his pigeon toes and head tick he was unstoppable... I was sitting next to a college coach when Baylor played his first game in Spokane and the coach said that shooting was actually the "weakest" part of his game . The freshmen basketball players (I should add, I was not a player) were all on the top floor at Desmet and we listened to the NCAA Game against Kentucky on a scrachy short wave radio and of course we were all suspicious about the early fouls on Baylor that limited him. That was a different time and he and Russell and Oscar were just too damn good to be kept out of the NBA and they transformed the game...sure, the modern players are bigger and better but at the time....he was the man....had no peer...

bballbeachbum
05-02-2010, 08:15 AM
great list. a couple more recent guys to add: Jarrius Jackson, Ronald Ross, Josh Davis

demian
05-02-2010, 08:29 AM
great list. a couple more recent guys to add: Jarrius Jackson, Ronald Ross, Josh Davis

bballbeachbum, way to dig up a few lesser known guys that had huge individual games against the Zags in the NCAA Tourney. How bout another lesser named player Todd Okeson (Nevada) man he lit us up and he and Kirk Snyder talked trash and showed off all the way till the final buzzer, that was a tough game to watch.

bballbeachbum
05-02-2010, 08:46 AM
bballbeachbum, way to dig up a few lesser known guys that had huge individual games against the Zags in the NCAA Tourney. How bout another lesser named player Travis Okeson (Nevada) man he lit us up and he and Kirk Snyder talked trash and showed off all the way till the final buzzer, that was a tough game to watch.

had forgotten Okeson, weird. there have been some tough losses no doubt, gives greater meaning to the great wins, but no less uncomfortable to recall. part of the deal when you go for it all the time. still can't watch Mbah Moute; my kind of player, but, no.

pbriz
05-02-2010, 05:31 PM
Singletary absolutely shredded us when we played Virgnia 2 years ago. Career high 37.

Even though GU won Michigan St.'s Maurice Ager had 36 against us in Maui in '05.

Curry's 40 against us in the tournament also rings a bell.

I would say these are the most recent ones.

U Zig, I Zag
05-03-2010, 06:55 AM
In the last few years, I am of the opinion that Steph Curry was the best player to suit up against the Zags. He played incredible against us and now in the NBA he plays like a champ. So much control, hunkers down on D, tons of little moves and smart play. A good kid. Love 'em.

kyle dixon
05-03-2010, 11:25 AM
Joey Kaempf-Santa Clara. The guy who hit a ton of 3's against the Zags and lead the Bronco's to the first Zag loss in the MAC.