PDA

View Full Version : Wiltjer and Pangos become Top 2011 Priorities

BobZag
04-27-2010, 11:21 AM
No two ways about it. They are 1 and 1a. Few is going for a grand salami in 2011. A powerhouse backcourt of Dranginis, Bell, Pangos, to go with an elite combo-forward in Wiltjer. And, in turn, these four 2011'ers will be setting the table for a 2012 class that includes bigs like Nelson-Henry and Lucas, and a wing like Tebbutt, along with who knows who from overseas and/or Canada.

Let's hope it goes like this, in the HOF'er Dave Neihaus' voice:

"Swung on and BELTED!"

:cheers:

RockandRollJames
04-27-2010, 11:25 AM
What I would love about this is that, most likely, none of these guys would be leaving early. A starting lineup of Pangos, Bell, Dranginis, Wiltjer, and Dower (with the 1st 4 being JR and Dower a SR). Awesome lineup.

Frazzle
04-27-2010, 12:02 PM
What I would love about this is that, most likely, none of these guys would be leaving early. A starting lineup of Pangos, Bell, Dranginis, Wiltjer, and Dower (with the 1st 4 being JR and Dower a SR). Awesome lineup.

I am a little confused. If Bell, Wiltjer and Pangos are as good as some on here think, why wouldn't they leave early? I may be in the minority here, but I like the idea of a getting kids that are good enough to leave early, ala Morrison, Daye, and Harris (very likely leaving early).

Jakester425
04-27-2010, 12:24 PM
No two ways about it. They are 1 and 1a. Few is going for a grand salami in 2011. A powerhouse backcourt of Dranginis, Bell, Pangos, to go with an elite combo-forward in Wiltjer. And, in turn, these four 2011'ers will be setting the table for a 2012 class that includes bigs like Nelson-Henry and Lucas, and a wing like Tebbutt, along with who knows who from overseas and/or Canada.

"Swung on and BELTED!"

Has Pangos made the decision on being a 2011 or 2012 recruit?

skan72
04-27-2010, 01:02 PM
Has Pangos made the decision on being a 2011 or 2012 recruit?

Yes he has.

WMS2GUBULLDOG
04-27-2010, 01:52 PM
None of those guys are going to leave really early, i.e. before their junior years.
There is a difference being a great college prospect and a great NBA prospect. You have to remember that Elias is almost twenty one, Daye was not that amazing for the program, and AMO left after his Junior Year. At this point, neither pangos, bell, nor wiltjer would be a one and done type player, yet all will be amazing college players. All three could definitely end up in the league, though I would assume bell would have the worst chance of the three. This a purdue like class that we can ride for a couple years.

Reborn
04-27-2010, 03:14 PM
It's nice to have such high hopes and optimism for the 2011 class. But let's not forget the 2009 class because it too was loaded. I really like Arop and Olynyk a lot, and although I haven't seen Dower play I sure like what I read about him. I expect these guys to be four year players with 3 years (and dower 4) left. I really do not see Kelly Olynyk getting beaten out by anyone in the 3 years he has left. Kelly is going to be a great one in my opinion. He is 6'11" now, and has a solid year of playing under his belt. He was a good backup for Rob this year at times. Next year he will be even better. When Ellias leaves after next season Kelly will give the incoming bigs all they can handle and he will win out IMO. He may be the 5, which would be the best place for him in 2011 and '12. As far as Arop, will any of the '11 be able to beat him out? And absolutely nothing has been said about Grant Gibbs. I'm so anxious to see Grant play next year. We could see a completely diferent and better player. The best thing about all this great recruiting news is that they will certainly push the 2009 class and make them much much better.

cbbfanatic
04-27-2010, 04:25 PM
if pangos commits to GU, is there any chance dranginis could open back up?

gotta think that it'd be tough to have a class with 3 high level guards...

i dont think GU is at the point yet where talented kids will sign up to sit behind other talented kids, let alone in their own class.

of course, if pangos is 2012 it changes this a little...

theothegreat21
04-27-2010, 04:32 PM
I like Pangos quite a bit...but I too think a class of Dranginis, Bell, and Pangos is a little strange. After hearing that Donny Daniels was down at Taft high school, it wouldn't surprise me at all if Kevin Johnson, who is a true post prospect at 6'11 becomes a key target.

http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=8&c=1&nid=3740324

BobZag
04-27-2010, 04:43 PM
A three guard class would be fine with me. One could redshirt, either Pangos or Dranginis. Or three guards rotating for two spots (PG, SG). Or, like Meech, Bouldin and Gray, play three guards with PG skills but who can also shoot it. It would be no different than Q, Santangelo and Frahm in '99/'00. Remember, Carter and Meech will be gone after these 2011'ers freshman year, and Arop will be gone after their sophomore years. That's if none redshirt. That's why I wouldn't mind Keegan Hyland coming in 2010. He could definitely help this coming year and beyond. The years fly by fast. Gotta be prepared.

cggonzaga
04-27-2010, 04:59 PM
I don't see the problem with 3 high level guards either. Coaches dream of having that kind of "problem". You never know who gets hurt or homesick or whatever other things happen. The more the merrier in my opinion!

d2zag
04-27-2010, 05:07 PM
But see, it's 4 counting Hyland.

BobZag
04-27-2010, 05:09 PM
The old saying rings true in this case: "You can't have enough guards." If competition scares off a kid, then he might not have been good enough anyway.

BobZag
04-27-2010, 05:15 PM
But see, it's 4 counting Hyland.

Keegan is 2010. Four guards rotating for three positions (PG, SG, Wing) is fine. Can't have three guards playing 40 minutes each game. Depth is a good thing. Quality depth, that is.

Eighty minutes open up with Bouldin, then Gray's departures. That's a lot of PT.

cbbfanatic
04-27-2010, 05:19 PM
I'm not asking about the coaches pov, that part is obvious. I'm talking about the players. Would these 3 kids want to come in in the same class?

And the RS option is not a good one (for players). When you are talking about guys good enough to get time at a lot of (good) schools, you will have a hard time trying to convince them to RS.

Personally, I think redshirting top 100 types is bad for recruiting. redshirts are for projects, not to extend a good players eligibility (if that player is good enough as a frosh anyway)

sullyzag66
04-27-2010, 05:21 PM

"Swung on and BELTED!"

"DEEP!"

MDABE80
04-27-2010, 05:25 PM
I remember Illinois with 3 good guards beat the crap out of us a few years back....and they did that to everyone till the E8. Talent is talent. I suspect those 3 will need some tutoring but it might work.. I think 3 super good kids out front would be terrific...if we can mind things in the low blocks. Nova comes to mind as well. It's a very good plan if we can get those guards on the court at the same time.

cggonzaga
04-27-2010, 07:13 PM
Guards win in March. You can never have too many. If I was Pangos I would still look at GU. Bell and Dranginis are more combo 1/2 guard types while Pangos is a true point. If we finished a 2011 class with Bell, Dranginis, Wiltjer and Pangos it would have to be a top 5-10 recruiting class right? That would look very good to future recruits.

Hooray4Daye&Gray
04-27-2010, 07:26 PM
can someone help me sort out how we have all these openings for our great 2011-2012 class?

i'm looking at the schollies chart and everything.

13 scholarships... here are the for sures to still be here:

Olynyk, Meech, Dower, Arop, Sacre, Kong (6)

Guys that are scheduled to be here still unless they transfer or something:

Carter, Gibbs, Villarino, Keegan (4)

Gray will be the only guy we lose to graduation, and I'll project Elias to go pro, and we're already set to add Dranginis and Bell Jr. to take those spots.

So that's 12. Do we still have another scholarship available for 2010-11? Is Stockton going to get one at some point? Am I forgetting/missing something?

If we get Wiltjer and Pangos to commit or something, would we be assuming that Gibbs or Villarino would be transfering or something?

GO ZAGS! What a great week!

BroncoZAG615
04-27-2010, 07:30 PM
can someone help me sort out how we have all these openings for our great 2011-2012 class?

i'm looking at the schollies chart and everything.

13 scholarships... here are the for sures to still be here:

Olynyk, Meech, Dower, Arop, Sacre, Kong (6)

Guys that are scheduled to be here still unless they transfer or something:

Carter, Gibbs, Villarino, Keegan (4)

Gray will be the only guy we lose to graduation, and I'll project Elias to go pro, and we're already set to add Dranginis and Bell Jr. to take those spots.

So that's 12. Do we still have another scholarship available for 2010-11? Is Stockton going to get one at some point? Am I forgetting/missing something?

If we get Wiltjer and Pangos to commit or something, would we be assuming that Gibbs or Villarino would be transfering or something?

GO ZAGS! What a great week!

That's the Elephant not to be discussed ;)

Prior to Keegan and Gary's commitment, no one was considering transferring. I doubt this has changed and I don't expect it to.

In my personal opinion I think the signing of Keegan means that we will sign a big in 2011 (hopefully Wiltjer) to round out the three man class of Bell, Wiltjer, and Dranginis. Elias will more than likely turn to the NBA and the scholarships will work. I think this would be a great class and is exactly what I would like to see. Pangos has a ton of hype but I don't think it would be catastrophic not to get him. I haven't seen anything remotely close to him being the next Steve Nash (but maybe I haven't seen enough).

Hooray4Daye&Gray
04-27-2010, 07:38 PM
Do we still have a scholarship available for 2010-11? Is 13 even the right number? Does Gonzaga not necessarily use all available scholarships every year?

BroncoZAG615
04-27-2010, 07:40 PM
Do we still have a scholarship available for 2010-11? Is 13 even the right number? Does Gonzaga not necessarily use all available scholarships every year?

With Bell's verbal we are virtually full unless you can find someone that wants to come here for a year and then leave. Look for that scholly to pay for Mike Hart for a year or something.

13 is the right number and coaches can "bank" scholarships for future years. Don't need to use them all if you have extra.

ZagsObserver
04-27-2010, 09:04 PM
So pardon my ignorance, but if we are full today, and if Gray and Harris (the latter still be a ? mark) are replaced with Bell and Dranginis, can we even offer a scholarship to Wiltjer and others? I'd venture to say that any scholarship offers on the table would have to be removed unless someone decided to leave. Who can help me out on this? Can you offer scholarships when you are full with the expectation that things will just work themselves out by the time they are ready to enroll?

maynard g krebs
04-27-2010, 10:28 PM
So pardon my ignorance, but if we are full today, and if Gray and Harris (the latter still be a ? mark) are replaced with Bell and Dranginis, can we even offer a scholarship to Wiltjer and others? I'd venture to say that any scholarship offers on the table would have to be removed unless someone decided to leave. Who can help me out on this? Can you offer scholarships when you are full with the expectation that things will just work themselves out by the time they are ready to enroll?

Scholarships are year to year. It's completely legal to run players off to make room. The only checks on this are a staff's integrity and their concerns about team chemistry and reputation with recruits, etc.

So the answer is yes, you can offer when full. It's done routinely.

ZagsObserver
04-27-2010, 10:41 PM
That's a good point Maynard. I think I tend to forget the scholarships are a year-to-year ordeal, and not a guaranteed four-year ride.

odeasmcgu
04-27-2010, 11:07 PM
No matter how you look at it, right now this is a good problem to have for GU, I mean having all of this prospective talent coming in with not enough scholarships available.

One thing though that I personally don't get, and I agree with Reborn on this, is how little attention Kelly Olynck is getting. Of this past freshman class, excluding Elias, I think Kelly will turn out to be the best four year player in that group. I was just watching the SMC game in Vegas. Kelly really can do a lot of things. He can shoot the deep ball, has some good ball skills to drive the paint, is a solid passer out of the post, and he can board of the defensive end. And he is athletic enough to guard athletic fours and fives. Oh and not to mention the kid is unselfish. Kelly has the potential to be a consistent double-double threat night in, night out.

With a lineup of Sacre, Olynck, Kong/Arop, Bell, and Meech/GJ or whoever you want as the point guard, this team would be very dangerous. Dower will come off the bench, as will Hyland, and Carter. My opinion is that this is Gibb's make it or break it year.

Finally, I really think that Meech will make the jump this year, as is typical between sophomore and junior year. I think this year, although he had his bad moments, he also showed he can play. Not basing this on anything but gut feeling though and having tutored Meech his freshman year, I know this kid just doesn't quit!

GoZags
04-28-2010, 06:12 AM
No matter how you look at it, right now this is a good problem to have for GU, I mean having all of this prospective talent coming in with not enough scholarships available.

One thing though that I personally don't get, and I agree with Reborn on this, is how little attention Kelly Olynck is getting. Of this past freshman class, excluding Elias, I think Kelly will turn out to be the best four year player in that group. I was just watching the SMC game in Vegas. Kelly really can do a lot of things. He can shoot the deep ball, has some good ball skills to drive the paint, is a solid passer out of the post, and he can board of the defensive end. And he is athletic enough to guard athletic fours and fives. Oh and not to mention the kid is unselfish. Kelly has the potential to be a consistent double-double threat night in, night out.

With a lineup of Sacre, Olynck, Kong/Arop, Bell, and Meech/GJ or whoever you want as the point guard, this team would be very dangerous. Dower will come off the bench, as will Hyland, and Carter. My opinion is that this is Gibb's make it or break it year.

Finally, I really think that Meech will make the jump this year, as is typical between sophomore and junior year. I think this year, although he had his bad moments, he also showed he can play. Not basing this on anything but gut feeling though and having tutored Meech his freshman year, I know this kid just doesn't quit!

Whole heartedly agree with your point(s) about Kelly. I'm looking forward to watching him the next 3 years.

BobZag
04-28-2010, 08:39 AM
Kelly will be very good. Very good.

But Wiltjer and Pangos are still the top 2011 prospects.

Kelly will be real good, though.

ZagsObserver
04-28-2010, 09:01 AM
Yes, very excited about Kelly Bob! Could you answer one question though...with the signing of Hyland and verbal from Bell, are Pangos and Wiltjer BOTH being recruited...the scholarship count is just not working for me :)

cggonzaga
04-28-2010, 09:06 AM
But Wiltjer and Pangos are still the top 2011 prospects.

Not to be rude but BZ has made it abundantly clear over and over again that Wiltjer and Pangos are still being heavily recruited.

ZagsObserver
04-28-2010, 09:11 AM
k, sounds good...I'll trust him on this one :). Didn't mean to ask a redundant question...sorry! Just trying to reconcile the scholarship count...

bullzag23
04-28-2010, 10:20 AM

This is pure speculation at this point but I would say that with so many guards already here and with 2 more on the way for the 2010 season the staff is assuming there will be at least one transfer. Someone (Gibbs or GJ come to mind) won't get the minutes they want and when this happens they will likely want to transfer to a school where they will get those minutes. With so many quality players here it's simply going to be impossible to find PT for everyone and often times the battle for PT ends up being a war of attrition.

xjzico
04-28-2010, 10:48 AM
Don't want him to leave but if I were advising Gibbs this might be the year to leave. He's already burned his redshirt year and the NCAA is pretty fickle about granting hardships. If he goes now at least he'll have two years to play at the school he goes to. It's crummy to think about but I'd hate to see the same thing happen to Gibbs which happened to Gurganious.

Vilarino has the luxury of a year to make his mark and be no worse for it.

thespywhozaggedme
04-28-2010, 12:29 PM
Found a little blurb about Pangos and us on Draft Express:

Pangos looks like a nice NCAA prospect who should make some college coach very happy. Canadian stronghold Gonzaga is apparently in the mix, and they’d probably be a perfect fit.

http://www.draftexpress.com/blog/International-Blog/#Jordan-Brand-Classic-International-Game-Top-Prospects-3443

Also, Anthony Bennet a 6'7, 6'8 big that I wrote about previously is another Canadian that is worth taking a look at, since we'll be needing post players in the near future.

Jordan Brand Classic International Game: Top Prospects

by: Jonathan Givony - President
April 22, 2010
A recap of the top players seen at the 2010 Jordan Brand Classic International game, including Canadians Anthony Bennett and Duane Notice.

The final boxscore can be found here.

Major props to the Jordan Brand people for organizing a deep and talented roster for this game and putting a heavy focus on the basketball aspect of the game throughout the week. The players received a great deal of individual instruction from the likes of head coach Miles Simon and Herman Harried, being put through serious practices with a strong emphasis on fundamentals and team work, and surely will remember this experience for a long time.

Anthony Bennett, 6-8, Power Forward, Mountain State Academy (WV), Canada, 1993

A last-minute invite, but possibly the most intriguing long-term prospect to emerge from the international roster, there is little doubt we’ll be hearing plenty more about Canadian big man Anthony Bennett in the future. He plays at Mountain State Academy in West Virginia (which may soon close apparently) at the moment, but could very well transfer to Las Vegas-based Findlay Prep, following in the footsteps of fellow Canadians Tristan Thompson and Cory Joseph.

Matt Donders / DraftExpress

Standing around 6-8, with an outstanding frame, extremely long arms and terrific athletic ability, Bennett passes the eye test on first glance and then some. His leaping ability is especially impressive. He dunks absolutely everything in the paint in a ferocious manner, sometimes with his head right at the rim.

More than just an athlete, Bennett is very skilled for a 17-year-old big man, flashes of an intriguing perimeter game that could become quite a weapon down the road if he continues to add polish to it. We saw him knock down a number of 3-pointers in the three days we were able to evaluate him. He seems to possess a very nice touch on his jump shot and has fundamentally sound shooting mechanics. He even showed some ability to put the ball down from the perimeter, although he still has a long way to go in that area.

With his back to the basket, Bennett is fairly raw, but he does possess a semblance of a hook shot and a drop-step move. Considering the physical tools he brings to the table, he would be wise to continue to develop this part of his game. He seemed to drift a little too often to the perimeter, but he surely isn’t what you would call a soft guy. He was a major factor on the offensive glass for example, which is not a surprise all things considered.

Bennett is a huge presence defensively at this level due to the sheer length, strength and explosiveness he brings to the table, but his fundamentals are nothing to write home about and he has little to no experience, as you might imagine. He did make an effort to compete and was fairly vocal in the one scrimmage we got to see, although that hasn’t always been his reputation from what we understand. He appears to be an extremely coachable player, though, which is always a good sign.

Bennett is clearly a late bloomer, particularly from a physical standpoint. He only recently seems to have filled out his frame. Those who have seen him play in the past rave about his character and attitude, but are concerned about the lack of focus he displays at times. He doesn’t always seem to have the disposition to dominate and is known to drift from time to time over the course of games. It will be interesting to see how this plays out in the future because, from a potential standpoint, Bennett’s ceiling is as high as you’ll find in his age group.

To his credit, Bennett seems to be aware of this issue, stating that he “wants to change that,” and “want(s) to dominate every game [he] play(s).”

Only a high school sophomore at this point (despite turning 17 last month), Bennett is obviously far from a finished product. He told us he already has scholarship offers from the likes of UConn, West Virginia, Cincinnati, Virginia, Iowa State, Rhode Island, UNLV and more. We’ll surely be hearing plenty more about him over the next few years.