PDA

View Full Version : Elias Harris: "Next Nowitski"

ZagNative
04-27-2010, 11:23 AM
Nice story from the Sportschau.de German language site. Link to google translation here (http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://www.sportschau.de/sp/basketball/news201004/27/elias_harris.jsp&ei=qP7WS8TQO4LwsQP1v6jHAg&sa=X&oi=translate&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CEcQ7gEwAw&prev=/search%3Fq%3D%2522Elias%2BHarris%2522%2B-guboards%2B-topix%2B-local-search%2B-road-runner%2B-play-by-play%2B-box-score%2B-slipperstillfits%26num%3D30%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26cl ient%3Dfirefox-a%26hs%3D7NS%26tbo%3Dp%26channel%3Ds%26rls%3Dorg.m ozilla:en-US:official%26tbs%3Dqdr:d), and in original German language here (http://www.sportschau.de/sp/basketball/news201004/27/elias_harris.jsp).

Elijah Harris - basketball player with star potential

Next Nowitzki

By Timo bucks Hüser

http://www.sportschau.de/sp/basketball/news201004/27/img/harris_dpa_512.jpg

Dirk Nowitzki is Germany's best basketball players - for ages. Germany's basketball has been looking as long as a successor. Elias Harris could be it. He played recently in the third division, but the experts are convinced that Harris is an NBA star.

Twelve years ago, that Dirk Nowitzki now left in order to make the best basketball league in the world a name. The "German Wunderkind" is now the best European basketball player of all time and has its place in the "Hall of Fame" of the NBA almost surely. At a successor from home Nowitzki has been waiting in vain.

Since 2001 he holds Detlef Schrempf resignation but the German flag high. But soon the wait could be over. Thanks to Elias Harris, in which the experts are convinced after only one year at Gonzaga University: The 20-year-old will be the next one German NBA star.

Perfect year

Rapid ascent can be a little lost. Until a year ago is the name of Elias Harris only one term absolute basketball experts. Finally, the 2.01-meter Harris back in the third division for the BIS Baskets Speyer basket hunt. National coach Dirk Bauermann remains the talent but not hidden. "Elias brings his strong athleticism with everything in order to be a great player," said Dirk Bauer man after he called Harris a surprise in the squad for the Euro 2009 in Poland. "He is one of the biggest German talent, and has probably the greatest development potential of all young players."

The tremendous jumper youngster thanked the national coach that confidence with strong performances. In an average twelve minutes operating time Harris shines in the DBB team, first time in ten years to do without Nowitzki, especially as a strong defender. It is the beginning of an almost perfect year for the winger.

Gonzaga career springboard

After the European Championships dare the son of a German and an American made it into the United States. His way leads to the Gonzaga University, where already got NBA legend John Stockton (Utah Jazz) fine-tuning. Although it has only a few experts on the bill delivers the man from Speyer, a sensational season. "The Euro was worth gold for me, since I have collected there very important experience," says Harris. "The game was fast, athletic, very physical, and thus a good mood for the college season."

His first year in the U.S. includes the forward from as zweibester scorer (14.9 points) and top rebounder (7.1) of the Gonzaga Bulldogs, also shines with a strong field, throw and three-ratio. The arch-rival St. Mary's, he shoots at 89:82 triumph with 31 points and 13 rebounds from almost single-handedly. Against Illinois, he meets before almost 21,000 fans to the "Game Winner" for 85:83 victory after extra time. Quickly, he will classify the unknown to the Germans celebrated newcomers, the U.S. experts as one of the 20 best college player of the year.

A commitment in the NBA seems to be the logical next step. Many experts predict Harris, that he at the Draft, the annual NBA talent exchange, 24 June will be selected by a team. But Harris, the peasant as a "quiet, self-critical and down to earth" describes, feels not ready for the jump.

"It is a very good feeling to know that it could be. But it is still too risky to me, I now have to log Draft", so he believes. "If I am not yet drafted, I would not play in college and would have to return to Europe." And he will not, so he stays one more year in Gonzaga. "

Training instead of coal

In this difficult decision has opted Elias Harris against the money and for its picturesque basket ball training. "I've always played power forward and I need more experience as a small forward, as in the NBA that is where my future. I only get when I play a lot." In the Draft 2011 Elias Harris will be there and then but probably will show whether Germany's basketball has actually found a replacement for Dirk Nowitzki.

ZagNative
04-27-2010, 11:44 AM
On another German language site, in an interview primarily concerned with Robin Benzing's entry into the NBA draft, Dirk Bauermann talks about Robin, Elias, and other young Germans' prospects in the NBA. He never misses a chance to talk about his view that Elias future both at the collegiate and professional levels, is at the three rather than the four.

Here is the link to the original German language version (http://www.sport1.de/de/basketball/basketball_nationalteam/artikel_229900.html) and here the Google translation of the full interview (http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://www.sport1.de/de/basketball/basketball_nationalteam/artikel_229900.html&ei=qP7WS8TQO4LwsQP1v6jHAg&sa=X&oi=translate&ct=result&resnum=20&ved=0CHsQ7gEwEw&prev=/search%3Fq%3D%2522Elias%2BHarris%2522%2B-guboards%2B-topix%2B-local-search%2B-road-runner%2B-play-by-play%2B-box-score%2B-slipperstillfits%26num%3D30%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26cl ient%3Dfirefox-a%26hs%3D7NS%26tbo%3Dp%26channel%3Ds%26rls%3Dorg.m ozilla:en-US:official%26tbs%3Dqdr:d). (God Bless Google! Not always perfect, but at least it gives us an idea of what's being said.)

Some snippets:

"Robin is testing the water"

In SPORT1 interview coach talks about his countryman declared for the NBA Draft protege Robin Benzing. In the interview SPORT1 peasant speaks about his coach declared for the NBA Draft protege Robin Benzing.

By Rainer Nachtwey

Munich - Detlef Schrempf, Dirk Nowitzki - Robin Benzing?

The forward could be the BBL club ratiopharm Ulm to be the next German basketball player, which measures in North America with the best of the best.

SPORT1: What he would have to work to make the step into the NBA?

Bauermann: Basically, I believe that we have at least three or four players with a good chance to play in the next two to three years in the NBA or at a very high European level - if they stay healthy and work hard in itself. They are Robin, Elijah Harris, Tibor splices and Tim Ohlbrecht. In this respect, Robin is one of a group of talented players, but certainly is a physical issue, but he is more athletic than he looks. He will certainly be stronger defensively. In the NBA, the game is one against one of high importance. Offensively, he must continue to mature, because he has the complete package, a good thrower pulls well to the basket and has a good overview. Since there is no vulnerability that would make one worry. In essence, he needs a continuous development.

SPORT1: You mentioned the other three players. Just Elias Harris College has received good reviews and is considered a first-round pick. As you can see his chances?

Bauermann: They are certainly as good as Robin. Elias has played a sensationally good year. He needs to have to go from four to three on the highest level of success. He did, however, already in the national team last summer, made with flying colors. He has indeed decided on the three publicly for his university team to play.
There are those here who continue to maintain that Elias will continue to play primarily at the four. It's obvious (to me at least) that Elias' return to Gonzaga ,and Bauermann's advice in that regard, was contingent on the expectation he would see more time at the three.

former1dog
04-27-2010, 11:53 AM
There are those here who continue to maintain that Elias will continue to play primarily at the four. It's obvious (to me at least) that Elias' return to Gonzaga ,and Bauermann's advice in that regard, was contingent on the expectation he would see more time at the three.

Doable if you consider Dower and Olynyk as the ones picking up the slack at that position.

Jedster
04-27-2010, 11:59 AM
Thanks ZN! Good info! It is revealing to see his thoughts on some of this. Seemed he was a bit fearful of what would happen if he didn't get drafted and have to return to Europe and not be able to play at GU. My reading of these two articles is he's here for one more year and gone to the NBA.

I agree, I'm sure there was some talk about where he'd play next year if he returned. With Dower, Olynyk and Sacre manning the 4 and 5, I'd guess we'll see Elias primarily at the 3 and sliding over to the 4 on occasion. Just my guess though....and injuries not withstanding.

BobZag
04-27-2010, 12:06 PM
Summertime is a lovely time for daydreaming. How's that old song by The Rascals go?

"What a day for a daydream.
Custom-made for a daydreamin' boy.
And now I'm lost in a daydream,
Dreamin' about my bundle of joy."

:)

Ahh, Elias is Nowitski and Bell is Jason Terry and Gray is Ray Allen. Mmmmmm.

RockandRollJames
04-27-2010, 12:18 PM
1) It's Nowitzki
2) Elias is going to dynamite this year. He's going to be incredible.

ZagNative
04-27-2010, 12:41 PM
Summertime is a lovely time for daydreaming. How's that old song by The Rascals go?

:)

Ahh, Elias is Nowitski and Bell is Jason Terry and Gray is Ray Allen. Mmmmmm.I thought surely I'd find a good graphic for "German Dreaming," but the first thing that popped up in the Google was ...

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_UkLNCxT74w4/S9c-GJ9teiI/AAAAAAAAvow/rIu0I4tMeyA/German%20Drean-0a.jpg

which my crack German language skills translate roughly as ...

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_UkLNCxT74w4/S9c-mYiRkSI/AAAAAAAAvo4/gKm221iLzuM/German%20Drean-0b.jpg

Yeah, I know the spelling's wrong. Blame the Google. (It's not the Google's fault, of course, but blame them anyway.)

bigparb
04-27-2010, 12:51 PM
Clearly E Harris is expecting to play significant minutes at the 3......the obvious front line includes a rotation of Sacre, Dower, Olynyk........don't panic though....Harris might be on the floor as a 3, but the kid is still going to be crashing to boards hard.....

Also, against smaller lineups Manny (because of his rebounding ability) or Kong (lets remember he's 6'7-220lbs!!!) could play the 4.

The future is bright, and it's just getting brighter with the likes of GBJ and Skinny D coming on board!!!

U Zig, I Zag
04-27-2010, 01:04 PM
dare the son of a German and an American made it into the United States

How dare he, indeed.

:D

MDABE80
04-27-2010, 01:59 PM
Am I reading this correctly? If he doesn't go to the NBA next year, he'll go back to Europe and play there instead of continuing his college game with us?!?!?! YIKES!....Wel one thing's certain, he ain't no Dirk. Just not big enough and lacks those skills. Harrumphhh!

jazzdelmar
04-27-2010, 02:20 PM
if eh were to declare and not get drafted this yr he wd lose out on playing college here and hafta go bk to germany.....geez

ZagNative
04-27-2010, 02:23 PM
if eh were to declare and not get drafted this yr he wd lose out on playing college here and hafta go bk to germany.....geezJazz, thanks for saying in a few short words just what I was thinking.

former1dog
04-27-2010, 02:25 PM
An Emily Litella moment for Abe. :D

http://www.hulu.com/watch/4092/saturday-night-live-update-2-emily-litella

BobZag
04-27-2010, 02:35 PM
Let's see. Sacre is Shaq and Dranginis is Hinreich and Arop is Gordon... Ahh, the offseason. Meesa like.

MDABE80
04-27-2010, 02:43 PM
Sorry fellas...I'm zooming today...I didn't think I read it right...so I asked. Just too much on the griddle.....

ZagNative
04-27-2010, 02:50 PM
No one is saying Elias = Nowitzki. They're just saying Elias might be the next big-time German player in the NBA.

Maybe he has chance and the talent to be big time, maybe not. We'll see.

I love the pub Elias is earning for us in Germany. (Loved they noted Elias playing for 21,000 in Illinois!)

Altogether now, "G-O-N-Z-A-G-A! GONZAGA! GONZAGA!, GO GONZAGA!

I don't think we'd even have to translate it into German.

Angelo Roncalli
04-27-2010, 03:00 PM
Does Bleacher Report have a German edition? :)

webspinnre
04-27-2010, 03:19 PM
Does Bleacher Report have a German edition? :)

I sense a brand new market....

CaZagAlum
04-27-2010, 06:29 PM
Training instead of coal

Keep this in mind. It's a good theory to live by. :D

willandi
04-27-2010, 07:04 PM
[QUOTE=BobZag;566226]Summertime is a lovely time for daydreaming. How's that old song by The Rascals go?

John Sebastion and the "Lovin' Spoonful"

LongIslandZagFan
04-28-2010, 07:13 AM
Man... the translation is absolutely brutal. Even with that, the over the top hype shines through... and I thought WE were bad when it comes to hyping players. :D

uhg80
04-28-2010, 05:47 PM
and I thought WE were bad when it comes to hyping players. :D

German mainstream media doesn't care the slightest bit about basketball. It's all about king football (that's soccer for you on the other side of the atlantic ocean). So they talk Dirk when they are talking basketball. Therefore every article about basketball needs to have Nowitzki as a reference, since no one except for the basketball fans has heard of anyone but world-class Dirk. So every prospect is compared to him somehow, regardless of playing style or position.

PS: I actually laughed out loud about the chicken.

ZagNative
04-28-2010, 07:38 PM
Hah! My fiendish plot works, as I've succeeded in luring one of my favorite German posters back to guboards to help prepare us for a summer of hype about the World Championships in Turkey!

And it's nice to have at least one poster on this thread who is not a smart-ass!

HKeks
04-28-2010, 10:36 PM
Here you'll find two more articles about Elias, one from a big german broadcaster:

http://www.sport.zdf.de/ZDFsport/inhalt/30/0,5676,8060958,00.html (original)

Translation via google:

A youngster on the go
The German Elias Harris
aiming for an NBA career
Marcel Friederich, New York

Experts agree: Elias Harris will be the next German in the NBA. After another year of college to succeed in 2011, the jump in the U.S. professional league. It was the 20-year-old recently still active in the third German division.

It was exactly a year ago, played host as the BIS Baskets Speyer, ASC Theresianum Mainz. Relegation battle in the second Bundesliga Pro B, the third highest German league. On Speyrer page with this: a certain Elias Harris. Around 300 spectators made their way into the school gymnasium of the ASC, where Harris led his team with 18 points. However, with 71:80 Speyer lost - one of 22 failures in 30 pro-B games. Dreary day.

Exactly one year later, in spring 2010, Elias Harris is an acclaimed young star in the USA. More than 6,000 fanatic spectators call at every home game of the Gonzaga Bulldogs his name and Harris do so to peak. With 14.9 points and 7.1 rebounds he can not produce the best yield of the whole team. "Like the last few months are over for me, that's absolutely fantastic," says Harris to sport.zdf.de.

Popular College Basketball
College basketball is one of the most popular in the U.S. sports competitions at all. When thousands of students cheering their classmates on the field, is guaranteed goose bumps every time atmosphere. The first division includes 347 colleges. The Gonzaga Bulldogs failed to Elias Harris in the round of last 32 On Easter weekend will be held in Indianapolis, the Final Four tournament. After the Super Bowl, this is the biggest sporting event of the year with the best TV viewing.

An exclamation point first set national coach Dirk Bauermann, when he named the then pro-B-players for the European Championship in summer 2009. "There, I've collected quite important experiences. The game was fast, athletic and very physical," says Harris, "so a perfect preparation for the college season." So the native of Speyer matured quickly to the leader at Gonzaga University, located in the Pacific Northwest. is also national coach Bauermann it "sensational, how quickly Elias has developed."
"Escape" from Germany
A German Drittliga player conquers the U.S. basketball world - no question, at first glance an incredible story. "However, one must remember," said Harris, "that I'm gone the way of the Baskets Speyer aware." About two years ago he received the first Bundesliga offers, among other things, Primus League Alba Berlin. But Harris decides to Speyer, in order to enable the College to change. After all, who has already played for a professional club, is locked in college for now.
That he would complete his studies in America, is the son of a German and a U.S. soldier at a very early clear. Unlike Germany, one could combine sport and study here without problems, so Harris: "The academic and athletic staff are matched super. These are, of course, perfect conditions." In contrast regrets Harris, "that as a young player in Germany, little or no come to the train" because it always gets a set number of U.S. imports from the nose.

At least now be allowed Harris to be sure that he has voted with the change in the U.S. the right way. Especially since he already had a good chance this year to sign on with an NBA club. Some experts see it even among the 15 best college players in America. But Harris has made his decision last Thursday finally: In order to play another year with the Bulldogs, he does not first to the NBA.
"From a sporting point of view is that for me the best way," says the German (2.01 meters, 98 kilograms), which this year was mostly used as a power forward under the basket. But in the next season he should improve his throwing distance and increased play on the wing as a small forward - "this is for him the right location in the future," says National Coach farmer. If this step is successful, would like to register Harris for the so-called NBA Draft in 2011. And to walk in the footsteps of Dirk Nowitzki.

the second from a german newspaper:

http://www.tagesspiegel.de/sport/grosse-buehne-statt-bank/1708128.html (original)

google translation:

Main Stage instead of bank

In view of the NBA. Elias Harris bike is in college basketball. In the Bundesliga, he saw no future

Berlin - A year ago, played for Elias Harris Baskets Speyer in the third German basketball league, now he is part of an event that holds all of America in suspense. It is again "March Madness" in the U.S., the final tournament of the college teams. Day and night run the games with huge TV ratings, President Obama has announced his tips on Wednesday officially. In terms of Elias Harris top-basketball fan in the country, however, was wrong: The Gonzaga University, the German international's moved on Friday evening in the second round, at the 67:60-victory of the "Zags" against Florida State the 20-year-old scored 13 points.

National coach Dirk Bauermann followed very closely, as developed Harris. "Gonzaga is good for him," Bauer says of the man in the state of Washington University. "It will be interesting how he presents himself on the big stage." Harris plays a remarkable season so far and already has interest from NBA scouts aroused. Attending change to college was almost been an escape. In the Bundesliga, German talents have it difficult to compete against the U.S. professionals. "This is the reason that players like Elias say: Before I go sit in the Bundesliga at the bank must I to college," says farmer. College player to earn any money, the combination of basketball and studies are still attractive to many as a professional contract in Germany. In the case of Lucca Staiger was not on this account: The 21-year-old returned earlier this year at the University of Iowa State and moved back to Alba Berlin because it was used by his coach as a pure distance shooter. "For his development was probably the right decision," says farmer.

For decades, young German basketball players such as Detlef Schrempf, Henrik Rodl, Ademola Okulaja and Patrick Femerling have played successfully in college. Others, like Staiger and Jan Jagla, returned disappointed back prematurely. Alba's manager Marco Baldi advises any reason not to jump in the U.S.. "I think the basket balle picturesque college education has suffered in recent years," said Baldi. "Since you are better off in Europe." Because of the tight schedules of the college teams had little team training possible, add come a long summer break: "For young players, this is too little."

In the case of Elias Harris peasant is in close contact with his coaches: "We are all agreed that Elias play at the next level as a small forward needs." So far, the 2.01-meter Harris used closer to the basket for the NBA He is clearly a power forward, but too small. If he manages the transition, the national coach expects Harris Gonzaga leaves next summer in the direction of NBA. It was important but was above all that he had ever received much playing time somewhere. "The guys have on the field, which is difficult in the Bundesliga", says Dirk Bauermann. "As long as they are lost to us but not quite, we can cope with the fact that they play in college." Lars Spannagel

And though I agree 100% with uhg80, there is just 1 (!) 'Dirk Nowitzki' in these lines ;)

Jedster
04-29-2010, 07:52 AM
My favorite quote:
"When thousands of students cheering their classmates on the field, is guaranteed goose bumps every time atmosphere. "

Love Google Translation! :)

My least favorite quote:
"We are all agreed that Elias play at the next level as a small forward needs." So far, the 2.01-meter Harris used closer to the basket for the NBA He is clearly a power forward, but too small. If he manages the transition, the national coach expects Harris Gonzaga leaves next summer in the direction of NBA. It was important but was above all that he had ever received much playing time so"

It is certainly a double edged sword wanting Elias to be highly successful next year as it means he will leave for the NBA. The selfish side of me wants him to stay, but I will happily follow him in the NBA if he leaves next year.

uhg80
04-29-2010, 08:17 AM
And it's nice to have at least one poster on this thread who is not a smart-ass!

But I totally am, haven't you noticed? Damn, I guess things do get lost in translation. :D

@Keks: Wow, you're right. Just one single, lonely 'Dirk Nowitzki' (Edit: No pun intended. Really.) Don't you let reality interfere with my perception ever again!

gamagin
04-29-2010, 09:04 AM
Hah! My fiendish plot works, as I've succeeded in luring one of my favorite German posters back to guboards to help prepare us for a summer of hype about the World Championships in Turkey!

Ich bin ein Berliner

bballbeachbum
04-29-2010, 11:27 AM
a young Grant Hill, that's who Elias reminds me of offensively, explosive like that, and perhaps with better range. with some upgrades to his technique, he can be a much improved perimeter defender at the traditional 3 spot, too, something I don't think he was last year, not with any impacting consistency at least. but it can be done. hope he does it!

ZagNative
04-29-2010, 11:33 AM
Elias is a lucky young man, as he'll have the benefit of Dirk Bauermann's coaching this summer and the opportunity to play against professionals again for the German Senior Men.

I can't wait for more great videos like this one, (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFXsMUp4Eos) which I have to play at least once every few weeks!

And Gonzaga will have the benefit of that experience ONE MORE YEAR AT LEAST!