PDA

View Full Version : Coach Rice coaching at a BCS school?

Bogozags
04-22-2010, 10:30 AM
The “mouse” in my pocket just whispered to me that the following could well take place…MWC will be tendered an invitation to become a BCS conference!

Then the MWC would of course want to invite Boise State (BSU) into the conference, because of its stellar football program! Adding BSU would automatically improve the pedigree of the MWC conference and the status of its recruiting with other BCS Conferences. Once an MWC member, Coach Rice would be recruiting for a BCS school!

The “mouse” didn’t tell me when this would all take place BUT that it would most likely happen.

(I personally believe it makes economic sense to have four strong schools (Utah, BYU, TCU and BSU) in the MWC and compete against the other BCS Conferences.)

Das Zagger
04-22-2010, 10:37 AM
The “mouse” in my pocket just whispered to me that the following could well take place…MWC will be tendered an invitation to become a BCS conference!

Then the MWC would of course want to invite Boise State (BSU) into the conference, because of its stellar football program! Adding BSU would automatically improve the pedigree of the MWC conference and the status of its recruiting with other BCS Conferences. Once an MWC member, Coach Rice would be recruiting for a BCS school!

The “mouse” didn’t tell me when this would all take place BUT that it would most likely happen.

(I personally believe it makes economic sense to have four strong schools (Utah, BYU, TCU and BSU) in the MWC and compete against the other BCS Conferences.)

I can see those 4 teams joining the Pac-10 before I see the MWC becoming a BCS conference.

For as "stellar" BSU is they still lost to a Ty Willingham coached team.

BobZag
04-22-2010, 01:19 PM
BSU will likely be a MWC member sometime soon, that's part of the allure for Leon. Utah and Colorado will likely go Pac-10. That paves the way for BSU to MWC.

Mr Vulture
04-22-2010, 01:32 PM
Don't forget UNLV as a solid team in the MWC...at least in basketball anyway.

Bogozags
04-23-2010, 06:13 AM
I can see those 4 teams joining the Pac-10 before I see the MWC becoming a BCS conference.

For as "stellar" BSU is they still lost to a Ty Willingham coached team.

A 49-4 record and 2-0 in BCS bowls over the last four years isn't stellar?

Bogozags
04-23-2010, 06:24 AM
BSU will likely be a MWC member sometime soon, that's part of the allure for Leon. Utah and Colorado will likely go Pac-10. That paves the way for BSU to MWC.

BCS expansion is going to be key, if the Big10 or Pac10 expand then the MWC will certainly be challenged to remain in its present make-up; however, if the BCS Board offers MWC an invitation, then I believe they will remain intact and add BSU. I also believe the likelihood of BYU and Utah moving to the PAC 10 is more realistic as those two schools are "easier" road games then CU and Utah. I understand the lure of the Salt Lake and Denver TV markets and this point could well be the determining point "IF" the PAC10 decides to expand to 12 teams.

I am hoping the MWC gets and invite and they in turn invite BSU to participate and after all, the BCS is all about football...either way, BSU should get an invite to the MWC...which of course only helps Coach Rice. The MWC will give Coach Rice so much more visibility and better TV exposure as well, since the MWC has its own TV package.

Radbooks
04-23-2010, 06:48 AM
The only problem with all this is that I'm pretty sure that the State of Idaho education board, or whoever is in charge of such things in Idaho, mandated that the U of I and BSU play in the same conference which is why they're both in the WAC right now. There's no way that U of I is ready to be in the MWC (or that they'd want them!) so that could be a huge problem for BSU - unless things have really changed in the state education offices.

kitzbuel
05-18-2010, 03:28 PM
I wonder if Nebraska and Mizzou were to go Big 10, mightn't the Big 12 start possibly looking the way of BSU, too.

Kong-Kool-Aid
05-18-2010, 03:32 PM
If they jump, the Big 12 and Pac 10 Merge

DenDiegoZag
05-18-2010, 03:52 PM
BCS expansion is going to be key, if the Big10 or Pac10 expand then the MWC will certainly be challenged to remain in its present make-up; however, if the BCS Board offers MWC an invitation, then I believe they will remain intact and add BSU. I also believe the likelihood of BYU and Utah moving to the PAC 10 is more realistic as those two schools are "easier" road games then CU and Utah.

Several Sources inside and outside of the Pac-10 have noted that BYU will not (as in no way whatsoever) be offered an invite into the conference under any conference realignment scenario.

Bogozags
05-18-2010, 03:54 PM
The only problem with all this is that I'm pretty sure that the State of Idaho education board, or whoever is in charge of such things in Idaho, mandated that the U of I and BSU play in the same conference which is why they're both in the WAC right now. There's no way that U of I is ready to be in the MWC (or that they'd want them!) so that could be a huge problem for BSU - unless things have really changed in the state education offices.

From some of the articles I've been reading at work (SI/MSNBC) seem to indicate that it is a done deal for June of course anything could happen but money is on them getting and accepting an invite.

Everything could change when the B10 makes its final offerings and if UM and NEB both bolt, then that would change the complexion of the B12...CU could go west or even the merging of PAC10 and B12...I think this unlikely to happen...too many loose ends and then you have the BCS A/Q's...there are six right now and a conference merger would leave an opening spot...

IMHO, everything hinges on ND's decision...

webspinnre
05-19-2010, 05:30 AM
Pac 10 and Big 12 aren't going to merge, that's crazy talk. More likely is that if CU and Neb/Missouri bolt that they look to raid the MWC as well, asking after TCU, or maybe considering someone like houston.

Birddog
05-19-2010, 07:09 AM
Pac 10 and Big 12 aren't going to merge, that's crazy talk. More likely is that if CU and Neb/Missouri bolt that they look to raid the MWC as well, asking after TCU, or maybe considering someone like houston.
That's almost as crazy. Houston and TCU are more likely candidates for the Big 12 than the Pac10.

Actually, the merger talk tween the Big12 and Pac10 has some credibility if the Big (11) goes to 16, but it all hinges on the Big(11).
Texas and Oklahoma are already exploring options for their own independent (one for each) TV Networks. I'd have to think A&M is looking at that too.

People keep mentioning BYU as a possible Pac10 member, but it isn't likely. It's all about TV markets. BYU has the TV market, but not the institutional profile (research university) that Pac10 wants. Utah and Colorado fit the profile. Wherever Texas goes (or stays), look for A&M to follow.

Albq has a growing TV market, but is nowhere like a Denver or SLC. Still looking to the future, the PAC or Big 12 might be interested but UNM would have to seriously upgrade competitiveness in everything but BB.

It's fun to speculate, but it is about as sensible as recruiting ratings. The only thing that really makes sense is for BSU to join the MWC.

webspinnre
05-19-2010, 07:20 AM
Yes, Houston and TCU was for the Big 12 - its far more likely that the Big 12 goes out and recruits 2 more teams than that it merges with a conference that's out on the coast. Basically, CU and Utah to the Pac 10, means that the MWC looks to add BSU. But, with CU leaving, and Nebraska and/or Missouri (or even Iowa) possibly invited by the Big "10" that'd leave the Big 12 needing teams, and TCU would be an obvious choice to try and get, leaving the MWC back down a team again. Basically, whenever some of this stuff gets started (probably after next season it sounds like), things could get crazy quickly. If the Big 10 goes east instead of south, then it'd be interesting to see if the ACC tries to poach a couple extra Big East teams as well.

Birddog
05-19-2010, 08:10 AM
One problem with adding TCU and Houston to the Big12 is that it really doesn't do much for adding to the TV market. It would be mostly overlap except for alumni base. Houston only draws about 24,000 per game in attendance IIRC. That's not exactly a huge fan base. Tulsa has about the same. TCU averages about 32,000, about like BSU.

UTEP never gets much consideration and yet they average about 48,000 in football and have a decent size TV market (98th) ahead of Boise (112) but well behind Albq (44). Huge if you count Juarez.
It's worth a glance at the list. Spokane for instance is surprising, it's one ahead of Omaha.http://www.tvb.org/rcentral/markettrack/us_hh_by_dma.asp
More speculation can be gleaned by checking the list than other means IMO.

Kong-Kool-Aid
05-19-2010, 08:28 AM
I seriously hope they start changing some names.

"Big this", "Big that", with all these teams potentially moving around lets get some disparity between the names of the conferences.

This isn't the Canadian Football League with their 5 teams named the Roughriders.

webspinnre
05-19-2010, 09:56 AM
Birddog, UTEP is another one I've heard mentioned that I've forgotten about. Good call.