PDA

View Full Version : G.U. River Sculptue

SUSpokanative
04-21-2010, 08:36 AM
I have always dreamed of a dramatic sculpture on campus depicting the founding Jesuits and the Native Americans (Spokane Tribe) building the original structure that would become Gonzaga. Father Schoenberg gathered all of the early Northwest Indian Hsitory. I believe that the Native people actually worked to build the school. This would be a great honor to their community and if done on a grand enough scale would draw visitors. Fundraising would be required, but achievable. Anyone else think this is a good project, and who should be approached?

Zag 77
04-21-2010, 01:25 PM
When Fr. Schoenberg was alive, he was the driving force behind the old Native American Center (shaped like a modernistic teepee) at the SW corner of campus over by the River Inn. It was a museum of Inland Northwest native cultures and had all sorts of historical stuff going back to the 1800's. It was around for about 30 years until about 10 years ago. Nobody ever went there and it languished once Fr. Schoenberg died. I think the area tribes seemed to be somewhat indifferent to the whole thing. GU still owns the premises and it is used as a conference facility.

There is a Museum Of Native American Cultures over at the Campbell House museum over in Browne's addition that contains all the stuff that used to be at the old facility.

SUSpokanative
04-22-2010, 12:07 PM
I remember it well. There is probably not room for more than one museum for N.W. Native Culture in this area. Fr. Scheonberg's legacy will live on through his research. I still do feel that Gonzaga should make a statement regarding the impact of the early Jesuits in this area's development and their relationship with the original people who resided on the banks of the Spokane River. Also the support that these people provided in the making of a University should be recognized. If we can have statues of Crosby and a stunning bulldog on campus, we can certainly commemorate something much deeper in its' significance. The fact that nobody - the University community and local citizens are not interested seems somehow disappointing. Part of a University's mission is to educate not only its' students but to enrich and preserve history and traditon, particularly in the community in which it resides.

webspinnre
05-05-2010, 03:24 PM
When I was there, there were courses offered by the history department that dealt with the history of the Jesuits both as a whole and in the northwest specifically. Dr. Carriker is one of the nation's finest scholars on this topic. Additionally, Gonzaga houses a huge archive of original writings of the Jesuits from that time period.