PDA

View Full Version : Duane Notice

thespywhozaggedme
04-17-2010, 03:17 PM
So, I finally got the chance to notice Notice, and I have to say that Notice is worth noticing. He has high major D1 shooting skill, and the best thing is, he mentions us as one of his favorites; and after watching him today, I suggest that Few take notice of Notice immediately and offer him asap. He had at least 25 and 8 rebounds, before the video pooped out completely. Here's the quote where he mentions us, in the article about Pangos:

Notice is hardwired for the American game. Santa Clara has visited a few times, and others are watching. This summer Notice will play in Canada's cadet program and isn't sure if the AAU circuit is in his plans.

Notice said powerhouse programs such as Syracuse, Kentucky, Kansas and Gonzaga have piqued his interest but no letters have arrived -- yet. But Notice believe he has a game that will succeed in college.

"I'm a playmaker who can score a quiet 30 points but as long as I get 10 assists that means my teammates will be involved," he said. "I don't force things; my shot selection is good."

As for sharing the Madison Square Garden floor with Pangos, Notice is thrilled.

"I respect [Pangos]," Notice said. "He brings out the best in me; you can't help but play hard against him. He's also the best teammate; Kevin's so positive. That's really his best attribute."

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/mens/news/story?id=5093661

bartruff1
04-17-2010, 05:09 PM
Spy...is that the game that is on ESPN2 now ?...6:14 pm ...half time..

thespywhozaggedme
04-17-2010, 06:21 PM
Spy...is that the game that is on ESPN2 now ?...6:14 pm ...half time..

No, there were 3 games today; the first was a NYC kids vs NYC suburbs kids game, 'burbs won. The second was the one in which Pangos and Notice played it was an international game, and the game that just ended was essentially the Mickey Dee's game part 2.

thespywhozaggedme
04-17-2010, 08:03 PM
Notice got mvp of the game, btw.

ZagNative
04-17-2010, 09:27 PM
Notice got mvp of the game, btw.Wow.

Photo from the game, #6 in white

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_UkLNCxT74w4/S8qZLUrqLqI/AAAAAAAApsI/TP7PQV7WRTk/2010-04-17%20Duane%20Notice%20Jordan%20Brand-2.jpg

skan72
04-17-2010, 10:23 PM
Notice was born in 1994. Class of 2012? Only a soph? http://www.nike.com/jumpman23/classic/pdf/10Roster_International.pdf

Wow, it definitely says he is 1994 born. That does mean he is a soph age wise. Holy moly. This kid is going to be an absolute stud (he is already). Yikes. Spy's take on him is correct, and especially the quote from the other thread about how he could be the best 2-guard we've ever had.

skan72
04-17-2010, 10:40 PM
Interview of Notice's from summer 2009 when he was on the U15 Ontario team at U15 Nationals in Kamloops, BC. (Where Kelly is from, also note - John Bantock is interviewing him, Bantock was teammates with Kelly in high school). This was right after the semi-final game, which was Ontario v. Saskatchewan.

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/1946316

If he was on U15s this past summer, that does mean he was only a sophomore this year. Confirmed. Wow. That blows me away, Notice is unreal. And he doesn't have to go play in the States to develop the game he has.

EDIT: Just like Pangos is listed as 2012, because he could do a 5th year of high school in Ontario, Notice is listed as 2013 on Hoopstars (http://www.hoopstarscanada.com/news.pl?nid=58)

ZagNative
04-17-2010, 10:47 PM
We should have fun here following both Kevin and Duane in the FIBA U-17 World Championships in Hamburg July 2 - 11. FIBA Canada U-17 Team Page here (http://hamburg2010.fiba.com/pages/eng/fe/10/fu17wc/men/team/p/eid/4718/lid//rid//sid/4718/tid/257/profile.html).

Didn't see whether any stats from the game have been posted yet, but this is from ESPN Rise (http://www.slamonline.com/online/college-hs/high-school/2010/04/jordan-classic-live-blog/):

Francesco Candussi (Italy) ... Duane Notice (Canada) scored a game-high 23 points to go with eight rebounds as the White Jerseys edged the Black Jerseys, 72-71, in the International Game.

skan72
04-17-2010, 11:01 PM
We should have fun here following both Kevin and Duane in the FIBA U-17 World Championships in Hamburg July 2 - 11. FIBA Canada U-17 Team Page here (http://hamburg2010.fiba.com/pages/eng/fe/10/fu17wc/men/team/p/eid/4718/lid//rid//sid/4718/tid/257/profile.html).

Didn't see whether any stats from the game have been posted yet, but this is from ESPN Rise (http://www.slamonline.com/online/college-hs/high-school/2010/04/jordan-classic-live-blog/):

Wait... Wagner isn't on Team Canada's U17 team???

ZagNative
04-17-2010, 11:14 PM
The FIBA rosters aren't all current. Wagner's on the Cadet team, per basketball.ca (http://basketball.ca/en/hm/inside.php?sid=270&id=3988%2087), so maybe he'll be on the official roster for the U-17 in Hamburg as well. Better wait and wait for reports.

skan72
04-17-2010, 11:16 PM
The FIBA rosters aren't all current. Wagner's on the Cadet team, per basketball.ca (http://basketball.ca/en/hm/inside.php?sid=270&id=3988%2087), so maybe he'll be on the official roster for the U-17 in Hamburg as well. Better wait and wait for reports.

Thanks. Sounds good.

EDIT: that says 2009 Cadet roster...

ZagNative
04-17-2010, 11:30 PM
It does say 2009, doesn't it? Didn't notice that, but I should have. basketball.ca is slow to update their stuff. I whine about it here all the time.

This might be the last thing posted on that site about the U-17's (http://www.basketball.ca/en/hm/inside.php?sid=1&id=3850), from March 2010.

Includes no news about the roster, though. We'll see, eh?

Edit: the page that says it's the 2009 roster does say it was edited March 2010. Oh, well. Wait and see.

CanadianZagFan
04-18-2010, 05:35 AM
It does say 2009, doesn't it? Didn't notice that, but I should have. basketball.ca is slow to update their stuff. I whine about it here all the time.

This might be the last thing posted on that site about the U-17's (http://www.basketball.ca/en/hm/inside.php?sid=1&id=3850), from March 2010.

Includes no news about the roster, though. We'll see, eh?

Edit: the page that says it's the 2009 roster does say it was edited March 2010. Oh, well. Wait and see.

How can they put a 2010 roster up if they have not made the team yet? I agree that some things are slow on the Canada Basketball site, but this team still needs to be finalized.

MDABE80
04-18-2010, 10:31 AM
<shaking head>.....snippy snippy...lol..does everything require a response??;)

Birddog
04-18-2010, 10:34 AM
does everything require a response
Only if you want to get in the last word.

BobZag
04-18-2010, 10:37 AM
Wow.

Photo from the game, #6 in white

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_UkLNCxT74w4/S8qZLUrqLqI/AAAAAAAApsI/TP7PQV7WRTk/2010-04-17%20Duane%20Notice%20Jordan%20Brand-2.jpg

Stud.

MDABE80
04-18-2010, 10:49 AM
Unexpected surprise BZ....I watched online.....he's a killer for his age....Abe

ps they archive these games so we can we can see it again.

ZagNative
04-18-2010, 01:40 PM
Still more stud:

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_UkLNCxT74w4/S8t8BdWrGrI/AAAAAAAAqGo/7dieH74XqWE/2010-04-17%20Duane%20Notice%20Jordan%20Brand-3.jpg

Anybody know current approximate height and weight? NetScouts (http://netscoutsbasketball.com/blog/2010/04/18/jordan-brand-classic-recap-regional-and-international-games/) says:

Duane Notice (6′2, CG, Canada). Notice is strong, has good shooting range and can finish inside. He’s a solid scorer. Big East teams are all over him including Syracuse. Notice led all scorers with 23 and gathered eight rebounds in the game.

BobZag
04-18-2010, 01:46 PM
Notice and Tebbutt are very physically mature for their ages. Would love to eventually get both, but we must be realistic. The UNCs and Dukes will be on these kids.

OZZY
04-18-2010, 05:08 PM
The Cadet team representing Canada will have tryout invitations sent out to selected players. I expect that up to half of the players who made the team for the FIBA America's tournament last summer may have to fight to keep their place. But the team will need to balance out continuity with talent and the ability to take direction. The biggest concern will be the bigs as Bennett is really a 4 at best. IMO the teams strengths are 1-4, Wagner will probably make the team, but may struggle defensively against some of the more physical sides. Players from down south that could be looked at include Junior Lomomba who played at the Nike Global Challenge with Manny and Kyle last year.

thespywhozaggedme
04-18-2010, 06:05 PM
Notice and Tebbutt are very physically mature for their ages. Would love to eventually get both, but we must be realistic. The UNCs and Dukes will be on these kids.

Yes, but Notice specifically quoted us in the ESPN quote. I think Pangos may have put a bug in his hear about us, hence the quote and follow up about how he loves playing with KP.

snebzag
04-18-2010, 08:06 PM
In order to get kids like this we must go further and further into the madness. Next year with SG shooting lights out and a great, great supporting cast we can do this. Winners like Winners.

ZagNative
04-18-2010, 08:10 PM
But ... but ... but ... the young man hasn't even gotten any letters yet, and already we're thinking he's out of our reach, after he's listed the Zags as one of the teams he's interested in?

I don't get how he's going to some unnamed big-timey program ... which hasn't even sent him a letter yet?

skan72
04-18-2010, 09:31 PM
The Cadet team representing Canada will have tryout invitations sent out to selected players. I expect that up to half of the players who made the team for the FIBA America's tournament last summer may have to fight to keep their place. But the team will need to balance out continuity with talent and the ability to take direction. The biggest concern will be the bigs as Bennett is really a 4 at best. IMO the teams strengths are 1-4, Wagner will probably make the team, but may struggle defensively against some of the more physical sides. Players from down south that could be looked at include Junior Lomomba who played at the Nike Global Challenge with Manny and Kyle last year.

Physically? Do you mean athletically? I'm confused. Dave is very strong in the upper body. Not defined, nor does he work out, but he's just one of those guys who is huge and strong.

OZZY
04-18-2010, 11:04 PM
Physically? Do you mean athletically? I'm confused. Dave is very strong in the upper body. Not defined, nor does he work out, but he's just one of those guys who is huge and strong.

Skan,

I'm just a little concerned about Dave playing against some of the bigger Euro players, in the tournament over in Italy that Kevin played in, his team really struggled in the final against the size and physicality of the bigs. Dave also struggled against the American bigs in the FIBA Americas semi-final.

You have a much better knowledge of David than I do, if you think he can handle the rough stuff then I believe you.

BobZag
04-19-2010, 09:12 AM
But ... but ... but ... the young man hasn't even gotten any letters yet, and already we're thinking he's out of our reach, after he's listed the Zags as one of the teams he's interested in?

I don't get how he's going to some unnamed big-timey program ... which hasn't even sent him a letter yet?

Merely saying the competition will be very tough. Duane has already said he basically wants to go to Syracuse because that's where Leo Rautins and his son Andy went, plus it's close to home. But it will help our cause greatly if we can somehow nab Pangos. That may even the field a bit.

CanadianZagFan
04-19-2010, 10:24 AM
Here is a link from Canada Basketball on his co-MVP at the game this past weekend. http://basketball.ca/en/hm/inside.php?sid=1&id=4064

BobZag
04-19-2010, 10:28 AM
https://www.nike.com/jumpman23/classic/pdf/10internationalbox.pdf

theothegreat21
04-19-2010, 10:56 AM
Just want to point something out: If Meech had the same stat line that Kevin Pangos did in this game, every poster on this site would be calling for Meech to be benched and pointing out how terrible he is....the grass isnt always greener on the other side

skan72
04-19-2010, 11:47 AM
Skan,

I'm just a little concerned about Dave playing against some of the bigger Euro players, in the tournament over in Italy that Kevin played in, his team really struggled in the final against the size and physicality of the bigs. Dave also struggled against the American bigs in the FIBA Americas semi-final.

You have a much better knowledge of David than I do, if you think he can handle the rough stuff then I believe you.

He's not super athletic, and he doesn't workout it seems. But he is a big, strong kid. I think he'll handle himself well physically.

skan72
04-19-2010, 11:49 AM
Just want to point something out: If Meech had the same stat line that Kevin Pangos did in this game, every poster on this site would be calling for Meech to be benched and pointing out how terrible he is....the grass isnt always greener on the other side

...no. Only if Pangos consistently had mediocre or less than mediocre nights as our starting point guard. Pangos has had huge games against good international competition. This is just one game. He hasn't shown us bad games consistently.

theothegreat21
04-19-2010, 12:05 PM
...no. Only if Pangos consistently had mediocre or less than mediocre nights as our starting point guard. Pangos has had huge games against good international competition. This is just one game. He hasn't shown us bad games consistently.

Two things:

1) Should Pangos come here....I guarantee you that after the first game that he struggles, this board will turn to bashing him and looking for alternatives

2) Just to play devil's advocate...even though I think Meech will be firmly entrenched as the starter the next two year's: Didn't Meech have great #'s against elite Texas competition, which is as high or higher a level of competition than what Pangos has played against?

Reborn
04-19-2010, 12:12 PM
Two things:

1) Should Pangos come here....I guarantee you that after the first game that he struggles, this board will turn to bashing him and looking for alternatives

2) Just to play devil's advocate...even though I think Meech will be firmly entrenched as the starter the next two year's: Didn't Meech have great #'s against elite Texas competition, which is as high or higher a level of competition than what Pangos has played against?

Sorry but this is way, way, way off base. I don't ever remember a Freshman that got "bashed" as TTG would have us fear. The fans on this board are pretty patient and pretty realistic IMO. Regarding Meech, I think he had a lot of support as a Freshman. The criticism came after he became a starter his Sophomore

Birddog
04-19-2010, 12:17 PM
Just to play devil's advocate...even though I think Meech will be firmly entrenched as the starter the next two year's: Didn't Meech have great #'s against elite Texas competition, which is as high or higher a level of competition than what Pangos has played against?

Nope, Meech didn't shoot all that well as a high schooler either. His strong suits were his quickness, his defense and his ability to get to the iron against HS competition.

cjm720
04-19-2010, 12:47 PM
...this is going to be an interesting off-season on the GUBs!

maynard g krebs
04-19-2010, 01:14 PM
Two things:

No. Won't happen. Criticisms of Meech have been in regard to specific weaknesses in his game. Pangos does not have the same weaknesses. Watching 5 min. of video makes that abundantly clear.

gamagin
04-19-2010, 01:51 PM
[partial QUOTE=theothegreat21;564583]
2) Just to play devil's advocate...even though I think Meech will be firmly entrenched as the starter the next two year's: Didn't Meech have great #'s against elite Texas competition, which is as high or higher a level of competition than what Pangos has played against?[/QUOTE]

this is one of my favorite pieces on Meech.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/collegesports/2008911062_zags24.html

And it's not just because of the layup. It 's because of the back story that led to the layup. It's about his character. His athletic, highly talented, very successful, high level, competitive family, his support mechanisms at home and at GU, and, finally, as you said, TOG21, his steady performance his entire high school career.

Leon in this article said he watched Meech in action about 25 times. The point being he was looking for all the attributes that displayed themselves in that NCAA winning play. I would add it also showed up nicely this year in the dance, too, right when it was needed most.

So what's missing in this young fellow besides support by the GUB cognoscente/PITs * ?

Imo, maturity, confidence, the bench-driven role playing vs. breakdowns in the task at hand, which, when they happened, everyone, or nearly everyone, on this year's team, seemed to get lost, not just DG.

In fact, DG seemed less lost than our stars at some very critical times, in my view.

But it isn't lack of talent, ability, toughness or basketball IQ, unless the expert witnesses quoted in this article, like DG's coach and Leon, just failed to see, over time, what the GUB, "off with his head," cognoscente, now agree, after one full season, are fatal, terminal, irreparable, D1 flaws.

The good news is we'll all see how this shakes out when Few lets the dog's out next season. I don't envision Meech shrinking from the spotlight. I see him stronger and better, more confident and in charge. I see him seated during mismatches and perhaps to take a blow. Just like this season.

In any event, and no matter who is right, the competition lining up for all five slots, and several backup roles, will make all the Zags better. And that is the really exciting thing I like to to think about going forward.

* PIT = Pundit in Training

BobZag
04-19-2010, 02:57 PM
Meech averaged about 16-17ppg in high school. From Santangelo to Pargo, the point guards always averaged big numbers in the mid-20's or higher, and in large markets or classifications--

Santangelo - Portland - 6A
Dickau - Vancouver - 4A
Stepp - Eugene - 6A (possible 5A)
Raivio - Vancouver - 4A
Pargo - Chicago

theothegreat21
04-19-2010, 03:16 PM
Meech averaged about 16-17ppg in high school. From Santangelo to Pargo, the point guards always averaged big numbers in the mid-20's or higher, and in large markets or classifications--

Santangelo - Portland - 6A
Dickau - Vancouver - 4A
Stepp - Eugene - 6A (possible 5A)
Raivio - Vancouver - 4A
Pargo - Chicago

I certainly understand what you are saying....but even with the development and emergence of talent in the Northwest, there is no comparison to the talent that Meech and Pargo played against every night in high school.

This kind of goes back to my point with Pangos. We all see the gaudy stats and great write-ups on the kid, but my fear is that he is elevated by the lack of talent he faces on a nightly basis. That is not to say there isn't some solid talent that he faces and will face with the National team, but I just never get as excited about kids who don't play against high level high school and AAU level competition. That's why I am so much higher on getting a guy like Bell then I am Pangos. Both could be absolute gems, but I will take a guy who plays against good competition in high school and the BEST competition in AAU every day of the week.

ZagNative
04-19-2010, 03:37 PM
... and the BEST competition in AAU every day of the week.Theo, every day? I don't read about AAU competition on a daily or weekly basis. It's seemed very seasonal, and even then, one of the raps on AAU ball is that kids tend to showboat and not necessarily play team ball. What I've read about Mark Few is that he isn't high on AAU, for the same reasons many college and high school coaches aren't.

OZZY
04-19-2010, 03:41 PM
Two things:

I agree the numers for Kevin didn't look ideal (he certainly did not have his shot working (1/9 from three point range)

In answer to your second question, at a high school level only you could have a point, but Kevin's participation in international competitions would be at a higher level than Meech's Texas competition. Kevin has played against the top US/Argentinian U16 players at FIBA Americas last summer, and against some of Europe's top players twice in the last two years (both times against older players).

If you look at Kevin's teamates numbers four of his teamates went 3/27 which would have hurt his assist numbers. 3 turnovers in 33 minutes against 1steal and 2 blocks is fairly reasonable considering Betancourt had 7 turnovers.

The main difference that I see with the numbers from the weekend is that Kevin was playing against two players that know him very well, ones that normally play with him (Notice and Bennett) If you had all three on the same team you would have seen much better numbers.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think that the point guard position is the one that needs to have the most familiarity with other players on his team.

One final point, is that Kevin is a great team player/leader as Notice has acknowledged, he will be a four year guy who will make every player on his team better, from what I understand he is a very coachable kid.

theman.themyth.thelegend
04-19-2010, 03:47 PM
http://steynian.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/notice-sign.jpg

BobZag
04-19-2010, 03:53 PM
This is almost as fun as Bak Bak.

theothegreat21
04-19-2010, 03:58 PM
Theo, every day? I don't read about AAU competition on a daily or weekly basis. It's seemed very seasonal, and even then, one of the raps on AAU ball is that kids tend to showboat and not necessarily play team ball. What I've read about Mark Few is that he isn't high on AAU, for the same reasons many college and high school coaches aren't.

My bad...a lack of a comma through that off. I meant I would take a guy who thrives at the highest level of AAU bell, every day of the week. Does that clear it up a little?

And while coaches might not be high on the type of basketball being played at AAU tournaments, it is the best way to evaluate how a prospect might match up athletically and physically with the best in the country

theman.themyth.thelegend
04-19-2010, 04:01 PM
This kind of goes back to my point with Pangos. We all see the gaudy stats and great write-ups on the kid, but my fear is that he is elevated by the lack of talent he faces on a nightly basis. That is not to say there isn't some solid talent that he faces and will face with the National team, but I just never get as excited about kids who don't play against high level high school and AAU level competition. That's why I am so much higher on getting a guy like Bell then I am Pangos. Both could be absolute gems, but I will take a guy who plays against good competition in high school and the BEST competition in AAU every day of the week.

Really?

I'm not sure many posters realize Kevin played his most recent game at the Jordan Brand Classic the day he arrived home from Italy AFTER playing 5 basketball games in 5 consecutive days in an Int'l Tournament. He averaged around 17 ppg & 6 apg.

Also, here's just a few of Pangos's recent accomplishment against high-level competition:

* He scored 28 points & 7 assists for Canada against Venezuela in the bronze-medal game of the FIBA of Americas U17 Championship.

* He lead his team in scoring and won a medal with Team Ontario at the 2009 Canada Summer Games.

* He suited up and played in a handful of games with Senior National men's squad last fall against International and Canadian University competition.

* He was named the MVP of the Canadian U16 Championships.

* He was named MVP of the International U17 club tournament in Italy, helping Canada's Hoop Factory Elite team.

ZagNative
04-19-2010, 04:09 PM
http://steynian.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/notice-sign.jpg
+1,000.

Sooner or later, all good threads are derailed by the Meech arguments, arguments that can't be resolved except on the court next fall.

Edited to add: Genius post, TMTMTL! I'm dazzled!

BobZag
04-19-2010, 04:53 PM
Fwiw, I'm thinking Duane's last name would be pronounced No-Teese. Just guessing, though. :)

skan72
04-19-2010, 05:02 PM
Two things:

1) No. No one did that after the first game Meech struggled as a freshman, or at least not that I saw. Nor did I think it ever when he was a freshman, it was more when he was consistently starting this year and struggling.

2) As high or higher? I'm not talking about Pangos' numbers against high school team competition in Ontario... I'm talking about all the raves he gets when he goes to the huge club tourneys in Italy, when he plays for the cadets and performs very well against TOP international comp, or when he plays against all the absolute best players in Ontario invited to one event.

ZagNative
04-19-2010, 05:17 PM
Some of you guys couldn't stay on topic if your life depended on it ...:(

Back to the subject of this thread ...

BE STILL MY FOOLISH HEART! WHAT A PIC!

From a neat story at Bounce (http://www.bouncemag.com/2010/04/18/street-dogma-on-line-jordan-international-game-cookie-monster-ending/#more-12775):
Street Dogma On-Line: Jordan International Game: Cookie Monster Ending!!

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_UkLNCxT74w4/S80Ad-JVfBI/AAAAAAAAq2A/-6PzkXQ8j88/Jordan%20Brand%20Bounce-1a.jpg

Players from ten different countries put their games on display for the American public yesterday in the Jordan International Game played at Madison Square Garden and indeed there were a few, notably at the guard position, that have NBA potential. The showcase featured the top 15-and-16-year-old International players in the world. MVP Duane Notice, a 6-2 guard from St. Michael’s School in Canada, ended the game in classic playground “cookie monster” style stripping fellow Canadian guard Kevin Pangos with 4 seconds to go in a 1-point game and ending it with a reverse yam to seal the deal.

Notice (23 points and 8 boards), along with German guard Malik Muller from club team ALBA Urspring (21 points 5 boards), were the top players in the game. Both displayed sharp shooting skills and strong rhythm on offense. Notice has a body similar to a young Deron Williams and might be the next Canadian point guard to play in the NBA, while Muller is a strong jump shooter that looks as if he could knock down jump shots on a windy day in the park with ease.

Interesting stuff in there about other players as well, with some killer pics!

WeSayZed
04-19-2010, 05:57 PM
Another thing that may be of interest is that Notice goes to a Catholic high school. That may not mean anything, however, because Ontario has a very large system of Catholic high schools (as required by Canadian Constitution and before that the British North America Act of 1867) and many essentially non-religious people go to them simply because they’re the closest school, or in this case perhaps because the school has a good basketball program. Or it may mean that he's a Catholic.

VinnyZag
04-19-2010, 06:22 PM
Sounds like a good player. Only downside would be up to four years of bad puns about his surname.

WeSayZed
04-19-2010, 06:35 PM
Another thing that may be of interest is that Notice goes to a Catholic high school. That may not mean anything, however, because Ontario has a very large system of Catholic high schools (as required by Canadian Constitution and before that the British North America Act of 1867) and many essentially non-religious people go to them simply because they’re the closest school, or in this case perhaps because the school has a good basketball program. Or it may mean that he's a Catholic.
I need to amend this. St. Michael's is a private school and not one of the publicly funded Catholic high schools I referred to above. It is known for its sports programs, however.

thespywhozaggedme
04-19-2010, 06:41 PM
Fwiw, I'm thinking Duane's last name would be pronounced No-Teese. Just guessing, though. :)

No, it's Notice, I first noticed it when the announcers noticed Notice continually scoring; I took note of that.

thespywhozaggedme
04-19-2010, 06:44 PM
Merely saying the competition will be very tough. Duane has already said he basically wants to go to Syracuse because that's where Leo Rautins and his son Andy went, plus it's close to home. But it will help our cause greatly if we can somehow nab Pangos. That may even the field a bit.

Not saying it's not true, but do you have a link to this?

snebzag
04-19-2010, 07:14 PM
Sounds like a good player. Only downside would be up to four years of bad puns about his surname.

Or both names. "did you Notice how easily he got open and Duaned the three"

Kiddwell
04-19-2010, 09:58 PM
No, it's Notice, I first noticed it when the announcers noticed Notice continually scoring; I took note of that.

...folks...at some point...it's not punny anymore...

:]

<...Kiddwell is now tasering himself...>

ZagNative
04-20-2010, 12:11 AM
I just re-read the full story in the link spy posted (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/mens/news/story?id=5093661). The first time through, I focused exclusively on Pangos' stuff, but it's got great stuff about Notice that I'd like to be sure to preserve, though I should probably post it to a thread that hasn't been hijacked by unrelated stuff:

Taking notice

Ask Kevin Pangos about his friend and countryman Duane Notice, a guard from St. Michael's College School in Toronto, and he exudes pride.

"It's great we're the two players from North America playing in the game," Pangos said. "Basketball in Canada is improving."

The same can be said about Notice. The 6-3, 210-pound sophomore keeps getting better and will compete this summer for the Canadian U-17 team at the first-ever FIBA World Championships.

"Duane has a wide frame and big shoulders; he is a great ball handler and is strong with the game. It's a unique game," St. Michael's coach Jeff Zownir said. "He gets around guys but is unselfish with the ball."

Don't let his youth fool you.

This season St. Michael's reached the quarterfinals of the OFSAA AAAA (large classification) tournament. Notice emerged as the Blue Raiders go-to player, averaging 22 points, 6 assists, 5 rebounds and 3 steals per game. Defensively his low center of gravity complements his stature. The Blue Raiders (31-12) won the provincial Conference of Independent Schools Athletic Association title -- qualifying the Blue Raiders for the AAAA tournament in March -- as Notice tallied an Ontario-best 18 games with 25 points or more.

"I was nervous at the beginning of the season; we had graduated seniors from last year's team; we were young," said Notice, a two-year starter in the backcourt. "As the season went along, I became more comfortable."

That's an understatement.

"He had a huge impact as a legit sophomore," Zownir said. "He carried us this season."

Notice is hardwired for the American game. Santa Clara has visited a few times, and others are watching. This summer Notice will play in Canada's cadet program and isn't sure if the AAU circuit is in his plans.

Notice said powerhouse programs such as Syracuse, Kentucky, Kansas and Gonzaga have piqued his interest but no letters have arrived -- yet. But Notice believe he has a game that will succeed in college.

"I'm a playmaker who can score a quiet 30 points but as long as I get 10 assists that means my teammates will be involved," he said. "I don't force things; my shot selection is good."

zagsfanforlife
04-20-2010, 12:17 AM
Not saying it's not true, but do you have a link to this?

http://www.slamonline.com/online/college-hs/high-school/2010/02/put-on-notice/

thespywhozaggedme
04-20-2010, 06:26 AM
http://www.slamonline.com/online/college-hs/high-school/2010/02/put-on-notice/

Ah, there it is, thanks. Hopefully Bob is right and we get a package deal of Pangos and Duane, since they really appear to like one another.

VinnyZag
04-20-2010, 06:28 AM

Or both names. "did you Notice how easily he got open and Duaned the three"

groan

gum797
04-20-2010, 11:22 AM
But it will help our cause greatly if we can somehow nab Pangos. That may even the field a bit.

Question for you BZ, Has either one of them said or hinted at that, besides the mutal respect. If this is a possiblity, now I want Pangos to be a Zag even more now, which I thought was impossible! And one quick thing about him shooting 1-9 from 3 point range in the Jordan Brand Classic...obviously he is confident with his shot to keep shooting when his shots were not falling, and that is all it takes to keep defenses honest and not clogging the middle.

theman.themyth.thelegend
04-20-2010, 12:07 PM
Question for you BZ, Has either one of them[Pangos or Notice] said or hinted at that, besides the mutal respect.

I'd say they're pretty good friends...:)

Kevin & Duane and Duane & Kevin:
http://hphotos-sjc1.fbcdn.net/hs491.snc3/26825_10150165113390650_746225649_12294982_2891265 _n.jpg
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs511.snc3/26825_10150165113475650_746225649_12294990_6617556 _n.jpg
http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs511.snc3/26825_10150165113485650_746225649_12294991_8316563 _n.jpg

theman.themyth.thelegend
04-20-2010, 12:19 PM
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs491.snc3/26825_10150165113535650_746225649_12294997_338530_ n.jpg
http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs491.snc3/26825_10150165113640650_746225649_12295008_5531072 _n.jpg
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs511.snc3/26825_10150165113790650_746225649_12295024_8101839 _n.jpg

theman.themyth.thelegend
04-20-2010, 12:20 PM
http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs491.snc3/26825_10150165113840650_746225649_12295029_7263043 _n.jpg
http://hphotos-sjc1.fbcdn.net/hs491.snc3/26825_10150165113905650_746225649_12295035_4697622 _n.jpg
http://hphotos-sjc1.fbcdn.net/hs491.snc3/26825_10150165113985650_746225649_12295049_7410867 _n.jpg

BobZag
04-20-2010, 02:59 PM
Question for you BZ, Has either one of them said or hinted at that, besides the mutal respect. If this is a possiblity, now I want Pangos to be a Zag even more now, which I thought was impossible! And one quick thing about him shooting 1-9 from 3 point range in the Jordan Brand Classic...obviously he is confident with his shot to keep shooting when his shots were not falling, and that is all it takes to keep defenses honest and not clogging the middle.

Neither has come out and said that. I was just surmising that if they're good friends and Notice respects Pangos, plus having Arop, Olynyk, etc., that if Pangos does come here, it "should" help Few's cause. We have to hope Notice doesn't start hating Pangos between now and then, lol.

WMS2GUBULLDOG
04-21-2010, 12:51 AM
This kid is in the same talent level as Gary bell, maybe even closer to nick johnson. this kid is that good after watching him play. Hopefully, he will go the route that Manny and Kelly did and not play aau so he stays under the radar. All of the high rated canadian players, such as thompson, cojo, and kabongo are all playing on the main AAU team together out of toronto. Hopefully Notice stays off the team because the AAU time period is when most of these guys get their Scouts, Rivals, ESPN ratings. Please stay off the radar. Also, I know the staff are heavy after pangos, and notice could be an amazing zag. Just saying those two are both 4-star level guys that could form an amazing backcourt.

1973Zag
04-21-2010, 04:30 AM
Hopefully he has received his official 'letter' from GU by now!------ and home visit-----------and official visit invitation------------and autographed picture of JS------and-----

OZZY
04-21-2010, 02:45 PM
Pangos will not play for the Grassroots Canada team, he usually plays for the Ontario Provincial team during the summer (like most of the top BC players, they prefer to play for their provincial teams, which have annual championships and do attend some AAU tournaments as well) Notice already plays for a different AAU team (BJC Magic). Both players will be focussing most of their early summer time on the Canadian Cadet team, which plays at the world U17championships in Germany (July 2-11).