• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Shanachie
    Kennel Club
    • Feb 2007

KGA Interview with Mark Few

This was linked indirectly in the "Few Talks about the Oregon job" thread, but the whole interview is good enough that I thought it was worthy of its own thread. Interesting conversation on Leon Rice, the Oregon job, Donny Daniels, Butler, Marquise Carter, Sam Dower, and more.

KGA Mark Few Interview
  • Radbooks
    Zag for Life
    • Jun 2007

Thanks for posting this link... it was great to hear the whole thing!
    “When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.”

~ Desiderius Erasmus

Comment

• BobZag
      Dark Lord of the Zag
      • Jan 2007

Thanks, Shan. I highly recommend downloading it and listening. Few hints at several topics that have been discussed here and answers many questions, from recruiting to Sam to Marquise, etc. You learn a lot from this. The host did a good job.
      The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Comment

• fedwayzag
        Kennel Club Alum
        • Feb 2007

what struck me about the interview is Few called Daniels for some asst coach suggestions and Daniels responds he is interested in the job. You could tell Few was a little surprised he would be interested. To me that speaks volumes. Any time you get an employee who wants to come to you is a huge benefit. Does not sound we Few approached him. I'm even more stoked about his hire.

I feel like something special is building.

Comment

• BobZag
          Dark Lord of the Zag
          • Jan 2007

Donny Daniels.
          Sam Dower.
          Marquise Carter.
          Bringing in another 2010'er.
          Recruiting 2011'ers for two years.
          A basket away from probable FF.
          What all had to go Butler's way.
          Talk about the post players.
          Elias and the NBA and media/fans.
          And more.

Feeling real good about next season. Oh yeah.

Comment

• Bogozags
            Zag for Life
            • Jan 2008

Originally posted by fedwayzag View Post
            what struck me about the interview is Few called Daniels for some asst coach suggestions and Daniels responds he is interested in the job. You could tell Few was a little surprised he would be interested. To me that speaks volumes. Any time you get an employee who wants to come to you is a huge benefit. Does not sound we Few approached him. I'm even more stoked about his hire.

I feel like something special is building.
            +1

Comment

• WeSayZed
              Kennel Club Material
              • Mar 2010

Few sure knows how to talk to small city media. I live in Calgary but I grew up in a city of 200,000 and I can read the code pretty well. Fishing is clearly part of the code for enjoying the small city lifestyle of Spokane, and the press will need to hear regularly that Few “likes the fishing here” in order to be reassured that he’s happy and isn’t looking to move off to the bright lights of a big city.

Few also said that we’re looking to replace Matt, but he also clearly said that Carter is a PG. He’s trying not to single out Goodson while at the same time clearly stating that the problem area last year was at PG. He mentioned Goodson again when he talked about the speed he brings, but I don’t think he made any mention of GJ, which may be significant.

There has also been a lot of talk about shooters, and that may mean that we have some concerns about Kong. At the very least Kong should hear that make sure he’s ready to step up and be a key shooter next year.

Comment

• gamagin
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

thanks, Shan

As I sort through the tea leaves (scat?) I recall this is the second time Few, in radio interviews, has said he is not fishing or planning to fish, this Summer.

He joked that he is out there looking for talent thanks to the defection in the coaching ranks.

Specific talent, as he has said, that "hopefully will produce right away" or, (my words: failing that), help build the program for the future.

I read this as a hot list and a fallback list. Since he may have to wait out the summer for his major prospects (hot list). Otherwise, he would take his "future talent," sign them & take the rest of the summer off.

That means, to me, the major prospects are overseas, or somehow tied up for the summer, or still uncommitted, about to transfer out of a program or somesuch, over the next several months, and thus Few's looking at a "working" summer.

It will be interesting to see what shakes out.
                Go TEAM Zags !

"John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
                Tom Hammond: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”
                Bill: “Well Tom, that’s because you didn’t go to UCLA." - Bill Walton

Comment

• BobZag
                  Dark Lord of the Zag
                  • Jan 2007

I think he'll hit the trout streams and rivers once April and the first half of May are over. I know Ray (and wife) are bound for Hawaii in May sometime.

Comment

• billyberu
                    Bleeds GU Blue
                    • Feb 2007

That was a good interview. Always love hearing about the state of the program, but especially the anecdotal stuff.

That Heister is not a particularly agile guy probably isn't news, but the way Few spins that it had me in stitches.
                    There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. - Steven Wright

Beat everyone, and enjoy drinking from a chalice filled with their salty tears.
                    Surfmonkey89

Comment

• WeSayZed
                      Kennel Club Material
                      • Mar 2010

Originally posted by gamagin View Post
                      As I sort through the tea leaves (scat?) I recall this is the second time Few, in radio interviews, has said he is not fishing or planning to fish, this Summer.

He joked that he is out there looking for talent thanks to the defection in the coaching ranks.

Specific talent, as he has said, that "hopefully will produce right away" or, (my words: failing that), help build the program for the future.

I read this as a hot list and a fallback list. Since he may have to wait out the summer for his major prospects (hot list). Otherwise, he would take his "future talent," sign them & take the rest of the summer off.

That means, to me, the major prospects are overseas, or somehow tied up for the summer, or still uncommitted, about to transfer out of a program or somesuch, over the next several months, and thus Few's looking at a "working" summer.

It will be interesting to see what shakes out.
                      I read it that way too, and I’m a bit puzzled by that. It doesn’t sound like we need urgent help anymore, but apart from PG it looks to me like we’ve got all the other positions covered very well for next year. Gray should get a lot of minutes at the 2 and maybe some at the 1. Arop should get minutes at the 2 and 3. GG I thought earned more minutes but I don’t know where he’s going to get them now. Harris, Kong and Arop should have the 3 covered. KO, Harris, Dower and maybe even Kong should have the 4 covered, while Sacre, Dower and KO have the 5. So, where is the gap in production we’re looking to fill? If there was something to the rumours last year of GJ wanting to transfer then maybe we’d be looking at another PG, but that’s about the only area I can think of where we’d need immediate production from a newcomer.

Comment

• BobZag
                        Dark Lord of the Zag
                        • Jan 2007

Perhaps a D1 transfer who would have to sit a year per NCAA transfer rules is a possibility, hence the reference to the future. No insider info, just sayin'. The good thing is, we'll have anticipation till that guy appears, and that could mean all summer long.

Comment

• ZagNative
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

I don't know what to think about some of Few's comments about what they're still looking for in terms of bringing in more talent before fall. I even typed a transcript of the program (link), but I still don't know what to expect.

Personally, I wish he'd call it good with the addition of Carter, because bringing in more guys this year leaves me nervous about our chances with our 2011 and 2012 guys.

But, obviously, Few & Co. know what they're doing, and they'll be aided by a fresh set of eyes and experience with Donny Daniels on board.

Comment

• Bocco
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2007

We may find out that the staff will call it good with Carter. I think the following statement by Coach Few regarding bringing in another recruit this year says it all
                            Trying to be really selective with it, though, and make sure it’s definitely somebody who can come in and help us.
                            To me he is saying that it would have to someone who would have an impact similar to that of Elias this past season.

and ZN thanks for the transcript, yoiur efforts are appreciated
                            The world is a magical place full of people waiting to be offended by something.

Comment

• BobZag
                              Dark Lord of the Zag
                              • Jan 2007

I don't see any 2010 addition being a 4-year guy so no threat to 2011. A Juco like Carter will merely help with the transition.

Comment

Working...
                              X