PDA

View Full Version : Few Talks About Oregon Job

ZagAddict
04-16-2010, 05:37 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/10695/mark-few-talks-about-talking-with-oregon

I don't recall Few ever discussing another coaching job publicly like this. I'm glad he still sees GU as being an ideal place. I didn't realize he had such a close relationship with Phil Knight. Very interesting read...

Jedster
04-16-2010, 09:07 PM
Very interesting read and some good insight into what Few looks for in why he stays. All about respect and support for the program, family and growth potential still there. Not that he'd come out and say it, but money wasn't even a topic (or hinted) at all there. I'm sure he's been offered more money than GU is paying, so you know it's not anything about that.

MickMick
04-16-2010, 10:09 PM
Three paragraphs that make me jump for joy. Then he ends it with "You never know."

I guess it is true, but I hate hearing it despite all of the other positive things he said.

MickMick
04-17-2010, 05:56 AM
Great interview! But what he is saying with the above statement, IMO, is if the players and the fans keep the culture of improving and growing then why would he leave. He also kinda called us all out because he just basically says, "I AM HERE TO STAY, IS EVERYONE ELSE?"

This is so huge!!! What we heard will go a long long way in recruiting. IMO. Imagine the thousands of kids all across the West coast who, now know that Mark Few is staying at Gonzaga for a very long time.

I believe this is going to be a turning point for Mark Few this year. He is the last remaining staff that worked with Fitz. (am I wrong?) We are going to see more "opening up" from him this year and that showing of confidence will help the guys who have 3 more years to play. Knowing Few is staying for a long long time "if things don't change" is a challenge that will be met with even higher quality recruits and more confident and intense minutes on the court. We already were consistently getting top athletes who also have the ethical and educational integrity that our program requires. Now they know that the continuity in the head coach and philosophy is also something to be totally confident in. Did I say this was huge!

That is why I believe we shouldn't just sit and watch the game and shut up. (If the Zags are more than just entertainment to us) We should engage in conversation about the players and coaches, and pretty much everything Zag related. We show that passion for our Zags and it doesn't go unnoticed in the long run and it transcends any bickering and bashing of each other. Has there ever been a family that doesn't argue and bicker. No!

I look forward to seeing the new and improved "Mark Few and Co." this year. I think he feels that this year is the strongest overall team that we have ever had with Harris coming back. He is stepping up his game, so he is asking the team to also and asking the fans to keep the faith and keep improving and growing right along with them.

Wow, if we had strong recruiting before, we will have it even stronger now. Thats my opinion.

Nice perspective Alaskazagnut. If your line of thinking is correct, then I'm all in. If the ball is in our court to show Few that he is appreciated, then we have a never ending job to do.

Of course I have been sporting the same signature for quite awhile now and I regularly defend Few to the bitter end on these forums. I hope he spends his entire career here. I really do.

MikeGallego
04-17-2010, 08:36 AM
Nice perspective Alaskazagnut. If your line of thinking is correct, then I'm all in. If the ball is in our court to show Few that he is appreciated, then we have a never ending job to do.

It's our job to make him feel appreciated? What are we, his preschool teachers?

ZagsObserver
04-17-2010, 08:42 AM
Few is absolutely one of the best things that's ever happened to Gonzaga. In a way, he reminds me of Lute Olsen when he got the Arizona program winning consistently.

hondo
04-17-2010, 08:43 AM
" He is the last remaining staff that worked with Fitz. (am I wrong?) "
Jerry Krause.

Shanachie
04-17-2010, 11:51 AM
It's our job to make him feel appreciated? What are we, his preschool teachers?

My interpretation:

Feeling appreciated means having the support of the university administration (both monetary and non-monetary support). Part of what influences the administration (in addition to their own feelings on the matter) is what alumni and other frinds of the university think. Is the direction that the basketball program has taken good for the university? I think so, and I try to take the opportunity to let the administration know that whenever I have the chance. (I'm not in any kind of inner circle, but between alumni events, basketball games, and chance encounters, I have the chance to pass along my thoughts 3 or 4 times per year.)

Of course, for an instution like Gonzaga, "support" doesn't just mean "atta boys", so making regular contributions doesn't hurt either.

maynard g krebs
04-17-2010, 12:44 PM
Three paragraphs that make me jump for joy. Then he ends it with "You never know."

I guess it is true, but I hate hearing it despite all of the other positive things he said.

I find "you never know" to be refreshingly honest, considering all the coaches who say they're staying somewhere forever and bail the next week. I'd rather hear the straight truth from someone than a bunch of slick public relations bs.

If Kansas, Ky, UNC, or Duke called, who could blame MF for going?

CDC84
04-19-2010, 09:32 AM

It's just a business tactic. A smart businessman never denies that he would be interested in other opportunities, even if he privately intends to remain where he's currently at.

Shanachie has it right. Few is not dumb. He knows that wherever he coaches there will be people who are occasionally critical of him. The "appreciation" he is referring to really has to do with administrative and financial support of the basketball program, which is presently outstanding.

bballbeachbum
04-19-2010, 08:14 PM
not your typical guy, this coach Mark Few. never met him once, but he displays a different value system than many in his position re. choosing his job and what is happiness, and his pursuit of it...it's not just the bottom line $

and I am really looking forward to the combined strengths and contributions to the team from the newest member of the braintrust, Coach Daniels. oh yeah

2011Zag
04-20-2010, 02:01 AM
Then Fitz was part of the "Krause era" because isn't everyone lower than the AD in the althletic dept. hierarchy?

Jerry Krause just finished his 10th year as the Director of Basketball Operations

Mike Roth is the Athletic Director