PDA

View Full Version : Coach Few on Marquise - Official Non-Kvetching Welcome Thread!

BobZag
04-15-2010, 04:14 PM
http://www.gozags.com

Marquise Carter, a 6-4, 185-pound guard from Three Rivers Community College in Poplar Bluff, Mo., has signed a national letter-of-intent to attend Gonzaga University next fall, Bulldog head men’s basketball coach Mark Few announced Thursday.

Carter chose the Zags over the University of Oklahoma and Wichita State University.

“Marquise is a winner,” Few said of the two-time National Junior College Athletic Association second-team All-America selection. “He is a true point guard who has an outstanding feel for the game. He can shoot from the outside, he can penetrate and pass. He makes his teammates better.”

Few said Carter also possesses a solid mid-range game offensively and is a strong on-ball defender.

Carter, who averaged 17.2 ppg, 4.1 rpg, 5.5 assists/game, 1.3 steals and 0.4 blocks in helping Three Rivers CC advance to the title game of the NJCAA title game this past spring, was named to the NJCAA All-Tournament first team. The Raiders fell to Howard of Texas 85-80 in the title game despite a 35-point effort from Carter.

He shot 43.3 percent from the field (141-for-326) and 38.3 percent from 3-point range (23-for-60) this past season.

A product of Horizon High in San Diego, Calif., Carter averaged 20.3 ppg, 6.1 rpg, 6.0 assists and 1.6 steals his senior season as Horizon went 23-7, was ranked 44th in the state of California and third in the San Diego Section.

“Coming to Gonzaga gives him the opportunity to get back to the West Coast,” Few said.

ZagNative
04-15-2010, 04:42 PM
Welcome, Marquise! We'll look forward to seeing you in Spokane this summer!

gamagin
04-15-2010, 04:45 PM
Welcome, Marquise! We'll look forward to seeing you in Spokane this summer!

mar KEYS ?

mar KWIS ?

mar KUSS ?

mar KAYS ?

Other . . . ?

thanqs

Jedster
04-15-2010, 04:48 PM
Welcome, welcome, welcome!! Can't wait to see you in uniform next fall!

NotoriousZ
04-15-2010, 05:40 PM
Yes!!! This made my day.

GUZag08
04-15-2010, 06:06 PM
rivals has an article up titled "Zags land one of the nation's best." I dont have a membership, so maybe someone could post it for us?

http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/barrier_noentry.asp?ReturnTo=&sid=&script=content.asp&cid=1072670&fid=&tid=&mid=&rid=

Sorry if this was already posted

rijman
04-15-2010, 06:47 PM
Very good news.

He played in San Diego at Horizon, which was I attended for middle school (called Hale Jr High waaaay back then) now onto Gonzaga. That's a great combination. :D

I'm glad to have him aboard for next seasons FF run. ;)

snebzag
04-15-2010, 07:19 PM
It is now MC Hammer time. Penetrate, pass, shoot the trey. Win the job.
Your motto. "Can't touch this" Welcome to a great team and great place to play college ball.

ZagNative
04-15-2010, 07:32 PM
rivals has an article up titled "Zags land one of the nation's best." I dont have a membership, so maybe someone could post it for us?

http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/barrier_noentry.asp?ReturnTo=&sid=&script=content.asp&cid=1072670&fid=&tid=&mid=&rid=
I have a Rivals subscription, but unfortunately, it doesn't give me access to JUCOJunction.com, the part of Rivals where that was posted. Argh!

cjm720
04-16-2010, 07:30 AM
Welcome Marquise!!!!

gozagswoohoo
04-16-2010, 07:56 AM
As they would say in Germany, VILCOMEN!! (Or something like that?)

Zag79
04-20-2010, 03:04 AM
welcome, sounds like a helluva player! may our starting PG be the guy who wins the job. if he beats out meech, ill not only be surprised but realize he is a great player to start here.

Bocco
04-20-2010, 05:56 PM
As they would say in Germany, VILCOMEN!! (Or something like that?)

woohoo it's more like willkommen

Zag 77
04-20-2010, 08:04 PM
Forgive me, but is not the proper spelling of this French name "Marquis?" Unless it is perhaps a Haitian, Creole or Caribbean dialect. Or maybe Quebecois?

word reference says that technically, "marquise" is the feminine version of "marquis." (A title of French nobility).

http://www.wordreference.com/fren/Marquise

Small point of trivia. Just curious. Italian is my second language, not French.

gozagswoohoo
04-21-2010, 07:22 AM
woohoo it's more like willkommen

NICE! I was closer than I thought!!

dim4sum
04-21-2010, 10:27 AM
Few has tended to be a stickler to things: if its the starting five that started the season it's likely to be the same at the end of the season. Overuse of Meech cost this team dearly in several games. These were games primarily involving a total lack of rhythm on the offensive end. I hope Marquise proves his worth early and gets the starting slot----I see a possible starting five of
Harris, Sacre and Kelly, with Gray and Carter in the back court. I hope Carter gets a fair shot and that Few doesn't play the experience card again.

JohnOGU
04-21-2010, 01:03 PM
Marquise's Facebook status reads: "Bout that time to head to the gym and hoop. Coach Mark Few said i got to go hard while im in Missouri so i guess im bout to get it in right quick. Holla."

Good stuff.

cjm720
04-21-2010, 01:37 PM
I hope Carter gets a fair shot and that Few doesn't play the experience card again.

Because that's been such a detriment to him and his 80%+ winning percentage...:confused:

Few plays the best players he thinks will win....regardless of what any of us think. Why would he ever not???

Overuse of Meech cost this team dearly in several games.

Name one single game where Meech cost us the game? On the flip side, I can name several games where without him we might not have won.

Zag79
04-22-2010, 03:15 AM
Originally Posted by dim4sum
I hope Carter gets a fair shot and that Few doesn't play the experience card again.

Originally Posted by dim4sum
Overuse of Meech cost this team dearly in severBecause that's been such a detriment to him and his 80%+ winning percentage...

Few plays the best players he thinks will win....regardless of what any of us think. Why would he ever not???al games.

Name one single game where Meech cost us the game? On the flip side, I can name several games where without him we might not have won.

best post ever. for any game you say meech cost us, i bet i can find a much more logical reason. matt, gray, etc.

bigblahla
04-22-2010, 04:44 AM
Because that's been such a detriment to him and his 80%+ winning percentage...:confused:

Few plays the best players he thinks will win....regardless of what any of us think. Why would he ever not???

Dang it. Why do I have to do this? So when nobody guards your pg on the perimeter because he isn't a threat to shoot it has no bearing on the outcome of the game? When your pg continually misses his 4 & 5 flashing open in the post and can't deliver the pass this has no bearing on the game?

Not a hater but I don't have on blinders either.

Go!! Zags!!!

Jedster
04-22-2010, 06:20 AM
Whoa.....This is the non-Kvetching thread to welcome Marquise....There's lots of other threads to discuss the deficiencies of Meech.

:)

zagnut2012
04-22-2010, 08:19 AM
Here is the way I look at it...

Competiton is good...(period) It makes players that have deficiencies, work to correct said "deficiencies". or they loose there PT. Right? Yes, it would be a great thing if we had 3 point guards that could shoot the 3, drive to the bucket, defend like a madman, pass like Stockton. Must I go on? I believe that our coach is on the right track in his addressing of the things we lacked last season, hopefully with the addition of Mr. Carter, and the on-going developement of Mr. Villarino it is the answer, that chapter is yet to be writtten. Meech is Meech. I am not saying that he doesn't have it in him to find his outside shot, but defenses don't respect his outside presence at all. He is a great speed guard pushing the pace, needs improvement in his ocasional lack of "finding the bigs inside". I am excited to see if someone steps up there game to win the PT.

The best will earn it!

Zagnut 2012

mee755
04-22-2010, 03:51 PM
Whoa.....This is the non-Kvetching thread to welcome Marquise....There's lots of other threads to discuss the deficiencies of Meech.

:)

Agreed!

Same old stuff...b*tching & moaning -- can't you people read the title of the thread or do you lack ability to follow directions?

And WELCOME, MARQUISE!

BobZag
04-22-2010, 04:11 PM
Amazing.