PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Poll RE: Zags vs. Butler

Frazzle
04-15-2010, 01:06 PM
Didn't see this elsewhere, but ESPN poll inquiring into whether Butler or Gonzaga is the signature mid-major basketball program. Zags currently up by 2%

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/

theman.themyth.thelegend
04-15-2010, 01:09 PM
http://pinstripebindi.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/rtv-bl-lg.gif

U Zig, I Zag
04-15-2010, 01:14 PM
http://pinstripebindi.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/rtv-bl-lg.gif

Like politics and social issues - and now GU vs Butler - the Midwest flies solo. Left and Right coasts hugging the middle states. GU by 2%.

ZagNative
04-15-2010, 01:14 PM
Thanks, Frazzle! Interesting breakdown among the states.

Come on people! We can do it!

theman.themyth.thelegend
04-15-2010, 01:24 PM
Nearly 12,000 votes and the nation is practically 50-50(w/the edge to GU). To be honest, I'm actually surprised we are ahead considering Butler's recent appearance in Championship game.

Evidently, there is still a high amount of respect for Gonzaga as one of the elite programs in college basketball, not just in the 'mid-major' category. Of course, Butler is the new darling of college hoops, but GU is the model of "mid major" consistency as it relates to Top-25 rankings, Tourney appearances, conference championsips, Coaches, etc.

Besides Joe Lunardi, the nation still loves us, they really love us! :D

Angelo Roncalli
04-15-2010, 01:27 PM
The popular vote may be close, but GU is kickin' ass in the electoral college...

gu03alum
04-15-2010, 01:39 PM
Just voted 3 times. I will vote some more when I get home from work.

MDABE80
04-15-2010, 01:53 PM
Butler has a done a better job in the past few years...GU's way better for the decade. Not usre but I think voting once is enough to give us an honest picture. We need that picture to be accurate. I'd say it's pretty even because the public forgets. We do have lots of support out in the hinterlands...

ZagNative
04-15-2010, 02:12 PM
Butler has a done a better job in the past few years...GU's way better for the decade. Not usre but I think voting once is enough to give us an honest picture. We need that picture to be accurate. I'd say it's pretty even because the public forgets. We do have lots of support out in the hinterlands...Why would we need it to be accurate?

If only voting once were the rule (or teenage girls weren't allowed to vote), how would Tim Urban have made it this far on American Idol?

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_UkLNCxT74w4/S8eOmC_8oTI/AAAAAAAAoSg/ANSoz-NQ8OE/Vote%20for%20the%20Worst.jpg

IT'S A FAN COMPETITION! WE'RE NOT ELECTING THE FRESHMAN CLASS PRESIDENT HERE! VOTE EARLY, VOTE OFTEN!

MDABE80
04-15-2010, 02:24 PM
Why would ANYONE to want it INACCURATE?? iT'S GOOD DATA. If it's honest, it has some wisespread implications in my view. Do YOU want it to be inaccurate ZN? Do you like accuracy and honesty? If you don't, you'll get a bigtime spankin;)

MDABE80
04-15-2010, 02:38 PM
Looks like the red states winning this...blue states lose..just like the upcoming election!! lol;) Internationally..GU's pulling away! I say declare a victory and run away! :)

ZagNative
04-15-2010, 02:38 PM
Oh, Abe! Baby, baby, baby!

ESPN polls in particular have no relationship to accuracy and are not a true reflection of public sentiment. This ain't the Gallup Poll we're dealing with.

What "polls" like the ESPN example do is reflect is the commitment and dedication of an organized fan base, and the Zag fan base is, IMO, second to none!

ZN will delete the poll cookies, vote as many times as her attention span allows, and, at the end of the day, sleep like a baby.

MDABE80
04-15-2010, 02:42 PM
OK..I'm warmin up the paddle then. Why have a poll if it's not a good, accurate one? Just reflects winning...not so much the way things are. I'd really like to know what the public thinks. BTW.,.Texas is even as is Alabama. Even Mississippi is eve now...sweating now...

Jakester425
04-15-2010, 03:12 PM
Well there are 375 votes coming from Washington. Butler has 22% of the votes, which means 82 Husky fans felt obligated to vote :D

Zagsker
04-15-2010, 03:14 PM

ESPN polls in particular have no relationship to accuracy and are not a true reflection of public sentiment. This ain't the Gallup Poll we're dealing with.

What "polls" like the ESPN example do is reflect is the commitment and dedication of an organized fan base, and the Zag fan base is, IMO, second to none!

ZN will delete the poll cookies, vote as many times as her attention span allows, and, at the end of the day, sleep like a baby.

so true:D ...Nebraska football fans (myself included) will stuff any and every poll that has Nebraska football in it. Heck, ESPN ran a tournament last year that matched the best teams of all-time against each other and fans voted..the championship game was 71 Nebraska vs 95 Nebraska..Herbstreit was PO'd:D

MDABE80
04-15-2010, 03:53 PM
Who won? 71 vs 95? I saw both teams.

Zagsker
04-15-2010, 03:59 PM
Who won? 71 vs 95? I saw both teams.

95 of course...the only real challenge the 95 Huskers would ever face would be:

95 Huskers vs Sunglass wearing Ditka

:D

FieldHouseFishHouse
04-15-2010, 04:12 PM

Exactly, in this case each vote does not represent a person, it's simply a vote. One crazed fan voting is worth more than one casual fan. As it should be.

ID ZAGFAN
04-15-2010, 04:31 PM

The important part. How do you delete poll cookies? Seems like a useful bit of knowledge. :)

ID ZAGFAN

ZagNative
04-15-2010, 04:35 PM
Sneaking up, now at 52%, up from 51%. GO ZAGS!

Lizzag
04-15-2010, 06:40 PM
Hey, let's watch it there! Those are my homies you're talking about!

Don't get me wrong, I'm a Zag, and I'm going to vote for the Zags, but Jeez Louise, let's have a LITTLE class, shall we?

MDABE80
04-15-2010, 08:19 PM
International vote is sewed up. I'm kinda surprised...I wish the vote totals were the result if GU played Butler.:) Zag fever continues. I don' t think having Xavier in this poll would hurt the Zag's position. The moniker "America's team" continues...

All we have to do now is re-earn all the support/love America's giving us.

LynetteG
04-15-2010, 08:26 PM
52% vs 48% Zags

ZagNative
04-15-2010, 08:44 PM
The important part. How do you delete poll cookies? Seems like a useful bit of knowledge. :)

ID ZAGFANThe following is true for Mozilla Firefox only. Don't know about IE. It's also tailored for ESPN polls (i.e., deleting the go.com cookies only)

Go to Tools, Options, Privacy, Remove Individual cookies (right side of the screen), click once on the go.com folder, and then "Remove Cookies" (on the left side). The "Go.com" folder is where the cookies for the ESPN are located. close.

In the past, I've just clicked the Remove All Cookies option, but that would make you very unhappy, ID ZagFan, as it would require you to re-log in to all the sites you have passwords for, like photobucket. In this case, go.com contains only the ESPN poll cookies, as I found out by experimenting.

If you hit the wrong button (i.e., the "Remove all cookies" button, you can expect some aggravation for a bit until you've logged into and re-entered the passwords for all your regular sites.

ZN is not responsible for any misfires in this area.

ZagsObserver
04-15-2010, 10:05 PM
It's interesting to note that Indiana has almost twice as many votes as Washington, so their fan base is doing their job quite well.

ZagNative
04-16-2010, 08:06 AM
We're up to 53% this morning from our initial 51%, with 17,522 having voted. Texas has gone from an equal split over to a majority for the Zags.

Vote link (http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/)

U Zig, I Zag
04-16-2010, 08:28 AM
put in four votes again today, two computers, two browsers each...