PDA

View Full Version : Meehan: "Carter officially signs with GU"

ZagNative
04-15-2010, 11:27 AM
Jim Meehan at 11.56 am (http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/sportslink/2010/apr/15/carter-officially-signs-gu/):
Just spoke to Marquise Carter and he said after a couple of days of thinking about his situation he arrived at the same conclusion he did last week when he verbally committed to Gonzaga. Carter said Gonzaga is the right spot for him. He signed his letter of intent and sent it to Gonzaga this morning.

More later.Thanks, Jim! Thanks Marquise!

theman.themyth.thelegend
04-15-2010, 11:33 AM
Welcome aboard, Marquise!

No matter his role next season, he will be an asset as a Zag. He is/was considered one of the best, if not the best, JUCO guards in the Country.

I am happy he officially chose Gonzaga! We're lucky to have him. :)

MedZag
04-15-2010, 11:37 AM
Can't believe how many people who were ready to throw this kid under the bus. Can we like him again now that he's with GU?

U Zig, I Zag
04-15-2010, 11:41 AM
Can't believe how many people who were ready to throw this kid under the bus. Can we like him again now that he's with GU?

We are just observers in this sometimes dramedy called GU basketball.

Yes, we can now love him again - but only until he misses his first 30 3-pointers then he gets his own thread. :p

Welcome, Crazy Legs!

Drew
04-15-2010, 11:48 AM

Absolutely!!!! Marquise Rules!!!!

Colbyspapa
04-15-2010, 12:10 PM
The comments regarding Marquis Carter yesterday and the day before are incredibly out of line. Things like that, will hurt our program and recruiting.

Someone posted a story last Spring about a PSA decommitting because of message board chatter. Our coaches work too hard recruiting to have some blowhard with a keyboard destroy the way a kid feels about coming to our school. Congratulations coaches, Marquis is a great pickup.

misszigzag
04-15-2010, 12:16 PM
Welcome aboard "Officiallly" Marquise. Glad to have you :)

skan72
04-15-2010, 12:23 PM
The comments regarding Marquis Carter yesterday and the day before are incredibly out of line. Things like that, will hurt our program and recruiting.

Someone posted a story last Spring about a PSA decommitting because of message board chatter. Our coaches work too hard recruiting to have some blowhard with a keyboard destroy the way a kid feels about coming to our school. Congratulations coaches, Marquis is a great pickup.

colbyspapa as in the Colby who was teammates in high school with Steven Gray?

cggonzaga
04-15-2010, 12:23 PM

Couldn't agree more. Sometimes the piousness around this board is sick. :mad:

Zagquette
04-15-2010, 12:25 PM
If players, coaches, recruits, sponsors, students, cheerleaders, ushers, food sales, janitors or... anyone else who "actually" contributes something constructive to the growth of a sports program used this or any other fan message board as a way to judge the spirit or quality of a school or program then college athletics would have imploded with the invention of the internet.

Let's not give ourselves (this board) too much credit when determining our impact on GU basketball.

Welcome aboard Marquise. We wish you well. (and please take this and any of the other comments on this board with a grain of salt.)

Peace

Jedster
04-15-2010, 12:27 PM

Likewise, people can officially start the Meech sucks and Marquise is our savior threads again. :D

As alluded to above in regards to what some said about Marquise and his indecision, we all need to be responsible for what we write on this board. Yes, the anonymity and freedom of posting on a board like this comes with responsibility. Rampant speculation about how good or bad a person is based on having second thoughts is irresponsible and reflects poorly on the posters that do that. We all write things we regret, but as adults (mostly) on this board we need to remember these are 17-23 year olds we're dealing with who come from varying backgrounds and intense pressures. I don't mean to come across as preachy, but it does bother me to see that. Anonymity is a powerful thing.

PS: Forgot to say welcome to Gonzaga Marquis! Can't wait to see you play next year!

gozagswoohoo
04-15-2010, 12:27 PM
Couldn't agree more. Sometimes the piousness around this board is sick. :mad:

I got into this obvious discussion last week...ridiculous.

FieldHouseFishHouse
04-15-2010, 12:41 PM
If players, coaches, recruits, sponsors, students, cheerleaders, ushers, food sales, janitors or... anyone else who "actually" contributes something constructive to the growth of a sports program used this or any other fan message board as a way to judge the spirit or quality of a school or program then college athletics would have imploded with the invention of the internet.

Let's not give ourselves (this board) too much credit when determining our impact on GU basketball.

Welcome aboard Marquise. We wish you well. (and please take this and any of the other comments on this board with a grain of salt.)

Peace

+1
I personally am not delusional enough to think that a recruit is going to avoid GU because FieldHouseFishHouse had a few dicey comments about his jump shot. I also doubt Mark Few comes on this board to find out whether or not he is appreciated as a head coach.

ID ZAGFAN
04-15-2010, 12:50 PM
+1
I personally am not delusional enough to think that a recruit is going to avoid GU because FieldHouseFishHouse had a few dicey comments about his jump shot. I also doubt Mark Few comes on this board to find out whether or not he is appreciated as a head coach.

But if he does---

Hi, Mark!

You are!

:D

ID ZAGFAN

skan72
04-15-2010, 12:56 PM
Anyways...

Glad Marquise is officially on board. Any thoughts on who else might be signing during this period?

810Suited
04-15-2010, 12:58 PM
Marquis or Marquise??? serious question, leaning towards no E.

welcome aboard should be quite a ride next season

ZagNative
04-15-2010, 01:00 PM
I wish we could lock this thread and start over with a "Welcome Marquise!" thread that didn't feature guboard members sniping at each other ...

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Junk/Emoticons/fightagainstdarthvader.gif

Oh, well, he'll learn soon enough ... though it would be nice if we could put up a pleasant facade until he's no longer "company" but is a full-time member of the family, with his own rung on the toothbrush holder.

ZagNative
04-15-2010, 01:08 PM
Posted within the last hour on Jim Meehan's blog (http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/sportslink/2010/apr/15/carter-his-decision/):

Marquise Carter had second thoughts, but they led him back to his original conclusion.

Carter, who verbally committed to Gonzagas mens basketball program last week, followed it up by signing and sending in his letter of intent Thursday. In between, however, he acknowledged that he contemplated re-opening his recruitment.

There were some second thoughts, said Carter, a two-time NJCAA All-American point guard for Three Rivers Community College (Poplar Bluff, Mo.). I was comfortable with my (original) decision, its just when you have family members closest to you putting things in your head about different schools and different situations it made it hard on me. I just thought about where Id fit best.

I came in (Thursday) morning and talked to (Three Rivers) assistant coach (William Durden) about everything. I told him that my mind was made up. He gave me the papers and I signed them and called coach (Mark) Few and let him know everything was done. Im excited.

Three Rivers coach Gene Bess said Carter has a lot poise, hes a solid ball-handler, he can shoot the 3 and he can beat his man off the dribble. Hes got a good feel for the game.

Carter said hell probably arrive in Spokane in late June.

007Zag
04-15-2010, 01:10 PM
This is great... welcome aboard Marquise!

gum797
04-15-2010, 01:32 PM

Agreed, great post. It was suprising to see people get all over this kid for going back and forth on a huge, life changing decision. Pretty sure all of us have gone back and forth on many decisions in our lives as well. Anyways, this off-season is getting better and better. This might be the most excited that I have been for an upcoming season, it truly should be a special year!

Jedster
04-15-2010, 01:42 PM
I was comfortable with my (original) decision, its just when you have family members closest to you putting things in your head about different schools and different situations it made it hard on me. I just thought about where Id fit best.

Seems the speculation of family members putting pressure on him was right on. Looking big picture, this is a pretty mature decision to make as you can surmise his family was really wanting him to go to Oklahoma. Tough, especially that age, to buck the family a bit. Either way it would have turned out, nice to see him taking the time to make a thoughtful decision. That's a great sign of maturity.

BobZag
04-15-2010, 01:44 PM
Must've been those Jedi Mind Tricks that Few did on Marquise. :)

GUZag08
04-15-2010, 02:07 PM
glad Crazy Legs finally made it official!

BobZag
04-15-2010, 02:08 PM
....Meech and GJ's confidence and PT?

GJ probably is OK because he is just a Frosh still and he will probably work that much harder. But Meech... I feel for him. If you were Meech how would you feel? I hope he uses it as motivation and realization that the decision is what is best for the team and it doesn't mean a demotion. (or does it?)

Is Carter good enough to start? Is he really that much better than Meech and GJ?

Honestly, if either Meech or GJ is so weak-minded as to lose confidence and feel demoted, blech. It's called competition. More competition makes a better team. A better team makes a better season. I saw Meech just today, two hours ago; he's pumped about next year, thinks we'll be better, can't wait. Didn't act like somebody to feel sorry for. Sheesh.

MDABE80
04-15-2010, 02:13 PM
Best players compete...it's makes the team better if there's no injuries;) SOmehow though, the player must fit in with the other frontliners. Takes a while...

I knew it was Marquis' family. It'sso hard to leave mom and bro for some unknown place far away. He'll be fine and have friends. Lucky to have him...2 times JUCO D1 AA. Can't be all bad.

MickMick
04-15-2010, 02:18 PM
Looking for some direct quotes that reflect to "throwing under the bus". For the most part, the replys were typical of the following:

1) His older brother was an influence.

2) His indecision came at a critical time. In the midst of the signing period when time is of the essence with respect to other schools recruiting other players that could take his place.

3) There are other good players that could be brought in that could equally help if he had changed his mind.

Folks, this isn't throwing under the bus. This is reality and probably what his JUCO coach spoke to him about when he told Carter to "get his act together".

The moral indignation on this board can get hyper inflated at times. This thread has some prime examples.

Having said that, I'm very pleased he has made the commit and I am looking forward to seeing him put on the Gonzaga uniform.

cjm720
04-15-2010, 02:24 PM
Welcome Crazy Legs Carter!!!

Jedster
04-15-2010, 02:32 PM
Honestly, if either Meech or GJ is so weak-minded as to lose confidence and feel demoted, blech. It's called competition. More competition makes a better team. A better team makes a better season. I saw Meech just today, two hours ago; he's pumped about next year, thinks we'll be better, can't wait. Didn't act like somebody to feel sorry for. Sheesh.

Exactly....Watching Meech these past couple years, the ONE word that comes to mind....besides "I'm a beast" :D ..... is competitive. Meech doesn't back down. Just look at some of the on court confrontations he's gotten in with players much bigger than him. Meech is a competitor and will continue to fight, whether he wins the job or not. I just don't see him as the type to back down.

Jedster
04-15-2010, 02:46 PM
Looking for some direct quotes that reflect to "throwing under the bus". .... The moral indignation on this board can get hyper inflated at times. This thread has some prime examples.

Not wanting to "throw people under the bus" for their own quotes, but I'd say this qualifies....

"Bush league move by Marquise, imo. Give us a break."
"This little bi-polar episode with Marquise..."
"Like who would want a disgruntled player...."

I think it's examples like that where people feel we go too far sometimes. The kid was waffling on perhaps the most important decision he's making in his life so far and we use terms like that. Again, don't want to pick fights with anyone since we should all celebrate this good player coming to GU, but those are some charged words.

SWZag
04-15-2010, 02:48 PM
glad Crazy Legs finally made it official!

Welcome aboard, again!! :D

So, are we going to officially used "Crazy Legs Carter" as his nickname?

theman.themyth.thelegend
04-15-2010, 02:50 PM
....Meech and GJ's confidence and PT?

GJ probably is OK because he is just a Frosh still and he will probably work that much harder. But Meech... I feel for him. If you were Meech how would you feel? I hope he uses it as motivation and realization that the decision is what is best for the team and it doesn't mean a demotion. (or does it?)

Is Carter good enough to start? Is he really that much better than Meech and GJ?

The post below was made within Bobzag's "More than ONE to join the Zags" thread. They were addressing the sentiment shared by many posters that Meech & GJ were being slighted by the team and worried about their feelings since Coach Few and staff were recruiting another PG.

I think the poster below did a decent job of providing an analogy that occurs everyday and something we face all the time.

Competition is a good thing for everyone!

At the end of the day, its about results and who is better for the job. If Marquise is a better fit and player for us next season, he should be the starter. If not, then he will make Meech/GJ better in practice through intense competition. No player should be handed the job just b/c he's been here or there the longest.

Compare it to your place of work. If the executives are attempting to fill a high-level position with the best overall talent they can recruit, they will most likely open the position to internal candidates first then a large scale search ensues. Sometimes, executives or the recruiters are unable to find the right person for the position and "hire within" and give a promising employee a chance. If it works out for both parties, great! If not, they will look elsewhere to find a better person for the position--even if the employee has been working that job for the past few years. If they find talent outside the organization, it might cost a bit more, but they are desperate to find the right fit. Once the new employee is hired, they usually will demote the current employee or find a new role that fits them better.

Its not a slight towards the long-standing employee, just better for both parties and allows the company to be more efficient, effective, productive. Now, after this occurs, is there drama behind the scenes? Sure, its human nature, but I'll tell you its short-lived. Why? Because people(and even players) want to keep their jobs and not risk being fired permanently. At the end of the day they realize the big picture and undertand its best for the company with the new employee that just walked in and took someones job. It happens. Its life. Its about results and finding the best person to do the job. Marquise Carter could be that guy. Who knows, but I doubt much drama will come as a result.

Lastly, just listen to Coach Few's most recent interview. His statements were fairly direct. He said: 1. We need better perimeter players. 2. We need a player who can create his own shot while also having the ability to create for others. 3. We might need to find another perimeter player/shooter to compliment current team. 4. Meech is one of our toughest, hardest working players and there will "always be a spot for him", yet he better learn to shoot it better, pass it better in the offseason...because....

gamagin
04-15-2010, 03:01 PM
Exactly....Watching Meech these past couple years, the ONE word that comes to mind....besides "I'm a beast" :D ..... is competitive. Meech doesn't back down. Just look at some of the on court confrontations he's gotten in with players much bigger than him. Meech is a competitor and will continue to fight, whether he wins the job or not. I just don't see him as the type to back down.

I think it's fair to say most of the higher profile zags that are recruited believe they have a shot at the next level.

An inherent part of their challenge in such an evolving environment is adjusting to the fact that someone is always working to replace them.

Besides that, it is well known, discussed and accepted that the tougher the competition during college, and the better a player does against that competition, on the team first and on the hardwood second, the better their chances to reach the bigs.

I suspect Crazy Legs will make Meech a better player and Meech will Make Crazy Legs a better player, too.

I believe both young men will do everything they can to become the best p.g. on the team with the goal of producing another WCC championship team.

It's the nature of competition and it's the nature of this team. May the best man win.

Zagsker
04-15-2010, 03:05 PM

Peace

no kidding....if a kid chooses not to come to GU because some message board people are mean:( ...than probably wouldn't want him anyways...kid would probably cave the first day his mom wasn't there to pack his lunch

MDABE80
04-15-2010, 03:13 PM
oH Jeeeeeeeeeeez...."than probably wouldn't want him anyways...kid would probably cave the first day his mom wasn't there to pack his lunch"...let's not overdo it.

Some kids need support to come here.
This kid will be making friends and be a strong contributor. He'll be away from his support system. We do that here...Mom will visit and his brother will too...some games. They'll love the place.....just so they avoid winter if Spokane has another tough one.

I'm betting this will be his first time away. Growing up time....Spokane's a good place to do that. It's an easy place (GU) to find yourself and come into your own.

Robzagnut
04-15-2010, 03:18 PM

I just wish he was less of a beast and had more of a jumpshot. I'm tired of watching GU play 4 on 5 on their side of the court.

kclubfounder
04-15-2010, 03:53 PM
I can only speak for myself.

If he chose to go elsewhere then he would have been dead to me. I could not have cared less about the rest of his basketball career.

However, since he is now a Zag, I could not possibly care more about the rest of his basketball career. Perhaps it is pathetic. Perhaps it is strange. I am at peace with it. Gonzaga basketball and Gonzaga basketball players are important to me. My wife doesn't understand it but she accepts it.

Marquise, welcome to Gonzaga. I am now a fan.

Zagsker
04-15-2010, 03:57 PM
oH Jeeeeeeeeeeez...."than probably wouldn't want him anyways...kid would probably cave the first day his mom wasn't there to pack his lunch"...let's not overdo it.

Some kids need support to come here.
This kid will be making friends and be a strong contributor. He'll be away from his support system. We do that here...Mom will visit and his brother will too...some games. They'll love the place.....just so they avoid winter if Spokane has another tough one.

I'm betting this will be his first time away. Growing up time....Spokane's a good place to do that. It's an easy place (GU) to find yourself and come into your own.

just so we are clear I am not talking about Carter.....just saying that if a kid chooses not to come to GU because a couple guys on a message board were mean..then they probably do not have the mental toughness I want in Zag players

FlagZag
04-15-2010, 07:18 PM
A piece of the puzzle falls into place. One or possibly two remains to fall. A nasty big to back up Sacre would be nice. Well done Coach and Marquis(e). The practices next fall will be intense. Can't wait!

bballbeachbum
04-19-2010, 07:35 PM
Posted within the last hour on Jim Meehan's blog (http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/sportslink/2010/apr/15/carter-his-decision/):

:) can't wait to see you play! welcome

bballbeachbum
04-19-2010, 07:56 PM
A piece of the puzzle falls into place. One or possibly two remains to fall. A nasty big to back up Sacre would be nice. Well done Coach and Marquis(e). The practices next fall will be intense. Can't wait!

after only reading what other coaches and others have said of Marquise, and never having seen him play, seems like a fit for Matt and some things he did? and if he earns the starting spot, why not start then? competition is good, tried and true, just all keep the love and then it really can make everyone better...like Meech or whomever. fun lineup matchups jingling the brain thinking about possibilities. positivity baby!

GO TEAM ZAGS!!!

ZagNative
04-19-2010, 08:16 PM
I assume you've seen this, bbbb, posted elsewhere, from the Mark Few interview on the Locker Room show:
TOBY

Coach, I wanted to ask you about a new recruit that I believe became official today, youll let us know right now if its not, but Marquise Carter, whos coming in to be on this team next year, whats he bring to this team as a new recruit?
FEW

I think he brings kind of a real solid presence at the guard spot. Hes a very good passer. He can step up and make three-point shots. Hes a winner. Back-to-back now. Three Rivers plays in the highest level you can play out there in the Midwest, got his team all the way to the finals this year and had 35 in the final. And its not like hes a big scorer, but one of their players had blown his knee a game or two before, so whatever it takes, hes going to do. Hes a bigger, all of 63 , 64, so at the point spot, I think it will give us a nice mix with kind of the speed that we have with Meech and some of the other guys, and combine that with a bigger guy that can handle it a little bit like Matt was. Were trying to fill the void that we lost in Matt, and youre not going to do that with just one guy, so I think Marquise can really help us out there, with both the perimeter shooting and the ability to pass the ball.
TOBY

Do you still have a player or two that youre hoping to sign here in the late signing period before it ends?
FEW

Yeah, yeah. Were still actively looking around for either one that can help us immediately, or one that can help us down the road. Trying to be really selective with it, though, and make sure its definitely somebody who can come in and help us.

bballbeachbum
04-19-2010, 08:24 PM
I assume you've seen this, bbbb, posted elsewhere, from the Mark Few interview on the Locker Room show:

Hey ZN...nope, hadn't seen it. just saw that Marquise signed when I logged on here earlier tonight for the first time in a spell. interesting thoughts by Few :D

Thanks for the info as usual

Colbyspapa
06-01-2010, 10:04 AM
colbyspapa as in the Colby who was teammates in high school with Steven Gray?

No, Colby is my dog on my avatar... Sorry.