PDA

View Full Version : Notre Dame and Zags in Talks re Home and Home

ZagNative
04-15-2010, 12:03 AM
From Rivals' Irishillustrated.com (http://www.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1074667):
The Irish will play in the Old Spice Classic in Orlando, a field that includes California, Temple, Texas A&M, Wisconsin, Georgia, Boston College and Manhattan.

Brey said it's likely Notre Dame will play Kentucky in the Big East-SEC Invitational in Louisville. As for a marquee home game, Brey said Notre Dame has been in talks with Gonzaga. He added that Georgia Tech and Arizona State reached out to Notre Dame about coming to the Joyce Center.

"We've probably talked with Gonzaga the most," Brey said. "There's still going to be good juice in our league. Us at the end was a great example of using your league power to play your way in (the tournament)."

GoZags
04-15-2010, 07:18 AM
These discussions have been going on for awhile -- been pretty close a few times. 229Sinto referenced it (4th post below).

http://www.guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?t=22773

No new huge revelations, other than a hint that a certain midwestern catholic school not named Xavier has been rumored to be in talks with us about scheduling.

Sinto also referenced an unfortunate (and fortunate) prophetic piece of preseason news in that post:

Apparently Mangisto Arop has sustained some sort of foot stress but not yet a stress fracture so he's taking it easy. Harris is projected to contribute immediately

Baldwinzag
04-15-2010, 07:42 AM
These discussions have been going on for awhile -- been pretty close a few times.

Thanks for the update, GoZ.

Recently, I've heard the home-and-home talks with Notre Dame have been in limbo and talked about for quite some time, just as you mentioned. It appears they have been close to scheduling, yet nothing official has been agreed upon.

However, I've also heard a potential H&H series with Butler is gaining momentum and in position to takeover the spot we orginally reserved for a series w/ Notre Dame.

I was under the impression it was going to be Notre Dame or Butler, or is GU attempting to schedule both teams by next season?

If so, I wonder if we'd play either Notre Dame or Butler during the same roadtrip we take on Xavier(since they are 100% confirmed).

CDC84
04-15-2010, 08:02 AM
However, I've also heard a potential H&H series with Butler is gaining momentum and in position to takeover the spot we orginally reserved for a series w/ Notre Dame.

South Bend is only 138 miles from Indianapolis. Since the Zags are going to have to travel almost 2,000 miles to play either Butler or Notre Dame, why not schedule both opponents?

kitzbuel
04-15-2010, 08:19 AM
I would have a hard time seeing an Xavier, ND and Butler road trip. That would be brutal.

GoZags
04-15-2010, 08:42 AM
I believe Xavier is in K2 next season.

BobZag
04-15-2010, 09:03 AM
Encouraging news, fellas. Git 'er done, Dr. Krause.

Xavier
Butler
Notre Dame

Nice trifecta.

MDABE80
04-15-2010, 10:37 AM
For years, many of us would love to schedule a pre conference Jesuit invitational. Never has worked out.....this is about as close as it'll get. ALL three of these would be spectacular. Seriously spectacular.

With out 12K plus seats in the Arena, I think someday a 2-3 day tounament in SPokane would mean more to this city and more to Zag community than anyone can calculate. Some promoter someday will do it. Zags, Xavier, Georgetown, Seattle U (when they get stronger), etc. The ideas for this are limitless. Likely a sustainable event too...someday when I retire.....;)

madness
04-15-2010, 10:38 AM
Make it the Fantastic Four?

Xavier
Butler
ND
Marquette?

It is possible that Gonzaga will have an OOC with no cupcakes in the future? I'm for it with a more "veteran" team next year.

d2zag
04-15-2010, 11:32 AM
For years, many of us would love to schedule a pre conference Jesuit invitational. Never has worked out.....this is about as close as it'll get. ALL three of these would be spectacular. Seriously spectacular.

With out 12K plus seats in the Arena, I think someday a 2-3 day tounament in SPokane would mean more to this city and more to Zag community than anyone can calculate. Some promoter someday will do it. Zags, Xavier, Georgetown, Seattle U (when they get stronger), etc. The ideas for this are limitless. Likely a sustainable event too...someday when I retire.....;)

Brilliant! But replace Seattle with Marquette. Now that would be something else.

GoZags
04-15-2010, 11:43 AM

mdabe80 -- I've occassionaly spouted the mantra "Nothing is in the bag until it is in the bag" -- and a Jesuit tourney WAS in the bag (or -- almost in the bag) in '05/'06 until Georgetown pulled the plug (they're becoming known for that). St. Joe's had agreed to move their Philly game with the Zags to Washington, DC for this. It was a 4 team, 2 day tourney -- opening day GU/St. Joe's 1st game and the nightcap was to be Georgetown/St. Peter's. The following day -- losers play game 1/winners play game 2.

I still think highly of Phil Martelli for agreeing to move his home game to DC -- but again -- even though it was approved at the highest levels (i.e. Presidents of the Schools and the Jesuit hierachy) it still didn't happen.

BTW, I didn't get this info from anyone at GU (they play things very close to the vest) I sat next to St. Joe's Asst VP Marketing on a flight and he filled me in (http://www.sjuhawks.com/multimedia/stjs-radio-tv-bios.html#lunardi)

MDABE80
04-15-2010, 11:43 AM
I'd put $1 million in to fund this. With profits going to GU's scholarship fund, athletic fund and Great Teachers fund. GU must be part of this medical school complex.

TexasZagFan
04-15-2010, 11:47 AM
Encouraging news, fellas. Git 'er done, Dr. Krause.

Xavier
Butler
Notre Dame

Nice trifecta.

BZ, could you use your pull to convince the staff to play a couple of Texas schools?

There's this venue in the MetroPlex we call JerryWorld that would love to host another top-flight college matchup. Wouldn't be too difficult for the Longhorns, Aggies, Baylor Bears, etc. to make the trip to Big D. Maybe even schedule it around the Zags' stop in Norman.